[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

talk me out of it /g/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

File: dsc01501.jpg (37KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
dsc01501.jpg
37KB, 600x399px
talk me out of it /g/.
>>
>>52357681
why don't you
>>
>TN panel
>$1,000

>2016
>>
I will talk you out of it.

DON'T DO IT!

You have been talked out of it.
>>
>>52357681
Wait until the refresh.
>>
>>52357692

Literally the only reason. Otherwise the device is solid.
>>
>>52357681
No, stop, please don't.
>>
>>52357681
If you have your own residence, a stable job, and enough disposable income, then why not? If you have neither, then you're a moron for wasting money that you barely have on useless, overpriced shit. Simple as that.
>>
File: csm_Ohne_Titel_702a9034f3.jpg (80KB, 738x414px) Image search: [Google]
csm_Ohne_Titel_702a9034f3.jpg
80KB, 738x414px
>>52357692

pig disgusting viewing angles
>>
>>52357681
One USB port lol

In all seriousness, I'd wait for a refresh.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook

A lot of what I'm seeing is saying wait. In the meantime, buy a x200. Good old fashion core 2 duo power. Goddamn.
>>
OP here. I know the hardware is overpriced for what it is, I just want to know if OSX is actually good or if I should just stick with linux.
>>
>>52357779
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>52357811
Well uh, okay anon. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>52357681

I own this computer. The panel is TERRIBLE. Wait until the next 12" Macbook refresh and do that instead, it'll probably be good. If you're really sure you don't mind the awful panel, the MBA is honestly a pretty good machine.

>>52357761

That's the Macbook Air, you god damn mouthbreather. It has two USB ports, Mini DisplayPort and a separate power cable.
>>
>>52357779
OSX is only good on a retina display
>>
>>52357894
Fucking newfag get off this board
>>
>>52357930

>the goodness of an OS bears an inverse correlation to the number of jaggies in the UI

That is a completely retarded statement.
>>
>>52357894
My sides
>>
>>52357681
I used it for programming everyday for about a year on a 2014 model. It did fine for everything besides running VMs. 9/10 would buy again
>>
>>52357945
actually, it's your GNU/board
>>
>>52357991

It's pretty decent even for VMs, if you get some of the upgrades. Particularly the 8GB RAM upgrade.
>>
>>52357779

>I just want to know if OSX is actually good or if I should just stick with linux

If you want "MUH COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE" then sure, go OS X even though you'd be better off even with windows.

If you want openness, customizablility, up-to-date standards and the latest drivers for your hardware, or the ability to troubleshoot your own system when shit goes wrong, stick with Linux.

OS X is NOT a "nice cohesive version of linux" like retarded shills spout on this board sometimes. Yes you have bash and macports, but those are about all you have.

If you suddenly start getting kernel panics enjoy having to go to the Apple store, because there isn't shit you can do on your own to fix it.
>>
>>52358107

>enjoy having to go to the Apple store, because there isn't shit you can do on your own to fix it.

Or, looking at it from the another angle:

Enjoy being able to go to the Apple Store and have someone else fix your problem for free while you have Chinese food at the food court rather than having to blow hours of your life troubleshooting that bullshit yourself.
>>
>>52357811
Long post fag
>>
>>52358138
>while you go have chinese food at the food court
No you don't, they force you to stay in the store. I had to sit there for about 3 hours last time. I played some games on my Android device to pass the time.
>>
>>52359190

Oh no. You had to pass your time playing video games instead of banging your head against your monitor trying to fix a kernel panic.

You poor thing. Will you ever recover?
>>
File: razer-blade-stealth-04.jpg (40KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
razer-blade-stealth-04.jpg
40KB, 770x433px
I'd rather have the Stealth.
>>
>>52359266
>playing video games instead of banging your head against your monitor
With Android games it's probably much of a muchness.
>>
What's the point of the macbook when you could just get a macbook air? Isn't the 11" Air superior?
>>
>>52359305
>1366x768
>>
>>52359312
Shit, they never upgraded it? I had a 2010 Macbook Air, really thought that was its greatest weakness.
>>
>>52357728
> shit keyboard
> 800 MHz
> "solid"

Macfags really do eat shit from their own hands.
>>
>>52359305
Really the only issue with the 11" and 13" airs are their screens. They're total crap. The 12" Macbook absolutely destroys both.
>>
>>52359336
Yeah I guess they probably just want to ditch the air in favor of the Macbook, not sure why they haven't already.
>>
>>52357681
You're a big mac
>>
>>52357681
insane battery life and OSX works pretty well with the hardware and notebook layout. the charger is also pretty sweet.

still use Win7 on my main battle station though.
>>
File: 1424123365059.jpg (42KB, 627x482px) Image search: [Google]
1424123365059.jpg
42KB, 627x482px
>>52359361
4U
>>
>>52359377
>same battery life compared to laptops with 4x the specs in every category including screen resolution

It's insane alright.
>>
File: 1416255720053.png (760KB, 1280x715px) Image search: [Google]
1416255720053.png
760KB, 1280x715px
>>52359361
Was shitposting part of your plan?
>>
>>52359348
The 12" Macbook isn't well-developed enough yet. It's in the same position that the first and second generation airs were, where they tried really hard but didn't quite cut it.

Give it a couple generations and the rMB will catch up to and exceed the MBA while maintaining its form factor.
>>
>>52359335
We're talking about the MacBook Air, not the MacBook.
>>
>>52359451
>Give it a couple generations and the rMB will catch up to and exceed the MBA
>the rMB will catch up to and exceed the MBA
>rMB will catch up

You better be trolling you fucking retard. rMB is *the* most god-tier laptop. Runs OSX perfectly. Runs Linux perfectly. Even runs Windows better than windows-built laptops.
>>
>>52359557
I meant in terms of hardware power. Right now they're adequate but might look underpowered compared to the airs, but in a couple generations they'll have specs that meet or exceed those of Airs while keeping its ultra-svelte profile.

And just to be clear I'm talking about the 12" Macbook, not the 13" rMBP.
>>
Am I the only one that misses the plastic MacBooks?
>>
>>52357681
If you have more money than sense, then you are what this is intended for. If you have more money than sense and at the same time can't spend $1000 every year on Apple products like Apple users are supposed to then you are just wasting money and are not really part of the eco system.
>>
>>52359557
>Runs OSX perfectly.
lmao
>>
>>52357761
Only real 'upgrade I see' is them moving to Skylake mobile.
>>
>>52357681
Why just get a macbook pro? It weighs more but as someone who works as an iOS developer... have a single port for both charging and connecting devices is a total loss. Like... unless you're just planning to rub your dick on the thing... I'd get a Macbook pro.
>>
File: With a Macbook Air.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
With a Macbook Air.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>52357681
Buy it if you want it. Just know that the marketing that surrounds it is just that: Marketing.
>>
>>52357894
>>52359146
newfags
>>
>>52359557
Uh, what? I doubt it runs Windows better when us Apple users have been bitching for years about the driver support not being 100% from Apple for Windows. It's been getting worse.

Personally I'm getting a Razer Blade Stealth for my next ultrabook. I've not used OS X on my MBA in 2 years.
>>
>>52359377
Yeah you dont need much power when its throttled to 800MHz
>>
I will never understand why you fags like to buy macbook and run a different OS on it then complain about it. Run a fucking VM and if it doesn't have enough ram then its your own damn fault for buying a piece of shit.
>>
>>52359888
the denizens of /g/ have never been particularly practical
>>
>>52358107
OSX is more closely related to OpenBSD than Linux
>>
>>52359305
Why is your mac running windows and MS Word
>>
File: sorry.png (389KB, 1485x1179px) Image search: [Google]
sorry.png
389KB, 1485x1179px
yo

i thought like you. i went out and bought a macbook for work, going hey i'm tired of problems.

returned it 48 hours later and got an xps 13. was so happy with it i bought the skylake model the day it was announced
>>
>TN panel
>on a laptop this expensive
Stop being a faggot.
>>
If you're going to get Macbook anything go for the Retina Macbook Pros.
>>
>>52357915
it has thunderbolt 2, not mini dp (same connector though)
and the next macbook is going to be just as shitty as the current one.
>>52357930
mac os only looks good on a retina screen.
it's still a shit os overall
>>
>>52359557
The travel on those keys are just plain wrong.
>>
>>52359557
>rMB is *the* most god-tier laptop.
Tiny screen
Worthless resolution
Worthless keyboard
Almost certainly unusable speakers
Awful phone CPU
One port
Costs as much as a rMBP 13" which is superior in every way

I wouldn't be surprised if the screen on the rMB was TN.
>>
>>52359266
>He's never had to sit in an Apple Store for 3 hours watching the immense levels of autism and complete lack of comfortable seating.

No, no I won't ever recover.

I would have much rather been putting my mind to use trying to troubleshoot my own system, it's far more engaging.
>>
>>52359190
I've never been forced to stay in the store while I waited for something with a turnaround of more than about 15 minutes.

Unrelated to that, they are however very inconsistent:
>shift key breaks on rmbp, also have a slightly fucked screen
>go to apple store
>while they have it in the back room, they lose the metal stabiliser thing
>some asshole (manager?) hands me back my laptop and bitches at me claiming I lost it and would have to either find it or pay $500 for a top-case replacement
>can't wait for the screen turn around and don't want to pay $500 for their fuck up, so I leave

>come back a few months later
>show them the same issues
>screen and top-case replaced for free without any trouble, good turn around time and pain-free experience despite it being a few days until christmas
>>
>>52357681
Using one right now.

It's awful.
>1366x768
>osx
>1.4ghz
>battery dies too quickly if you're doing anything beyond browsing the web
>>
>>52360081
Pretty dumb post

obvious stock image

That's OS X

Also MS Office came out for Mac computers 25+ years ago
>>
>>52360081
>running windows
it's... not.
>MS Word
why not? MS Office remains the best in class for most users. I use LaTeX but if someone doesn't want to work in LaTeX or something, that's not really worthy of controversy.
>>
>>52357724
The 2015 macbook was the refresh
The air is dead
>>
File: 1439699808402.jpg (145KB, 634x964px) Image search: [Google]
1439699808402.jpg
145KB, 634x964px
>>52359801
>uTorrent
>>
>>52364627
that fag might even think that people on apple computers use iWork lol

No one uses iWork
>>
>>52358107
>even though you'd be better off even with windows
Listen, I know you prefer linux, and that's fine, but saying things like this earn you a one-way ticket back to >>>/v/eddit
There is never, ever an excuse to steer somebody towards microsoft products
>>
>>52364704
I used to always say WIndows was better than OSX, but WIndows 10 is a far worse step than Vista was by far.

It might be time to let it go.

It's just hard to tell people to go to the overpriced laptops.
>>
Reminder that GNU/Linus Torvalds replaced his fagbook air with the Sony VAIO Pro 11
>>
Get the 13" rMBP. Went from a 2012 MBA to a 2014 rMBP and it's far better, also doesn't cost much more.
>>
>>52357681
Spend a little more and get a fukin mbp
>>
>>52359801
>>52364690
>huegass dock not hidden
>uTorrent
>chromebot
Discarded
>>
File: macfags.jpg (70KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
macfags.jpg
70KB, 540x960px
>>
File: drake-hotline-bling.png (901KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
drake-hotline-bling.png
901KB, 690x460px
>not getting a Thinkpad X1 or XPS 13
>>
>>52357681
I actually got one yesterday.
It's my first Macbook, after 15 years only on Windows and Linux. My previous laptop was a Lenovo Yoga 3 14.
I actually considered Macbooks as overpriced shits before getting it.
Now there's no denying these things are overpriced as fuck (spent $1900 on rMBP 15" 256GB) but when you start using it you can't bring yourself to regret spending that amount of money.
The computer in itself is nothing special, the hardware is on par with $1000-$1200 laptops from other OEMs, but :
>the screen is real sharp and bright as fuck
>the battery life is fucking good
>the sound is loud as fuck
>OSX feels really good and smooth overall
>>
>>52358107
>If you want openness, customizablility, up-to-date standards and the latest drivers for your hardware, or the ability to troubleshoot your own system when shit goes wrong, stick with Linux.

Let me rephrase that:

If you want NONE OF YOUR SOFTWARE TO WORK, if you want DECADES OLD STANDARDS (you won't even be able to play back MP3s unless you hunt down some fucking codecs off the web, because MP3 is not open source), and if you want COMPLETELY BROKEN, NEVER FUNCTIONING, ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY FUCKING USELESS DRIVERS, along with THE NECESSITY OF HOURS UPON HOURS OF GOOGLING TO FIX EVEN THE SIMPLEST FUCKING PROBLEMS, then BY ALL MEANS, chow down on the complete CROCK OF SHIT that is Linux.

>Yes you have bash and macports

HOMEBREW YOU FUCKING IGNORANT KEK
>>
>that feel when you really want to get an XPS but your are moving out of the country in a few months and the only actually reliable worldwide warranty is Apple's
Well, damn. I know macbooks are really good computers, but damn I can get a pretty sweet XPS 15 for less than macs cost. But I really don't want to dump about a thousand dollars on a laptop and have no warranty.
>>
>>52357681
Or you could get an Acer c720 chromebook and install fedora to it
-£150
-Great battery life
-Free bios
-Free OS
>>
>>52357945
nice to see that we welcome newcomers and then insult them when they don't know a stupid meme, which doesn't contribute to the conversation.
>>
>>52366583
>having shite consumer laws

baww
>>
>>52366650
Fuck you.
>>
>>52359801
Typical homosexual mac user.
>>
>>52366835
Sure I could waste a long time going after the company trying to fix my computer, but I'd rather have something that won't give me that headache.
>>
If they didn't include the shittiest screen known to man it wouldn't be that bad of a laptop, but they do, and so it sucks.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-ZenBook-UX305FA-USM1-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.320751400

>INB4 botnet

Or get the Dell XPS13, i have one, it kicks ass.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.