[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask someone who switched from Windows 7 to linux anything.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: screenshot.jpg (208KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.jpg
208KB, 1440x900px
Ask someone who switched from Windows 7 to linux anything.
>>
Why did you lose your job?
>>
When are you planning on an hero yourself
>>
>>52355437
I moved and the job transfer fell through.
>>
File: 1352504552454.jpg (77KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
1352504552454.jpg
77KB, 960x639px
>>52355449
Soon.jpg
>>
>>52355433
Did you like the aero thing more?
>>
>>52355636
Not really, Xfce does a good job with transparency.
>>
>>52355433
Why would you move the taskbar to the bottom?
all the cool kids have it up the top
>>
>>52355675
Not KDE/Plasma masterrace
>>
>>52355433
Great DE choice. xfce is nice looking
>>
>>52355675
When I'm in Firefox, I think having the taskbar on top with my tabs and search bar is too cluttered.
>>
What made you feel the need to make a blog post like this
>>
>>52355696
that's actually a very good point
I think I might move mine to the bottom now
>>
>>52355714
Well I've been using a linux distro for the past couple years and I'd like to encourage others to make the jump. For the longest time I couldn't get flash videos to play smoothly and configuring everything else always pissed me off to the point where I reverted to Windows. As of now, I don't see ever going back.
>>
>>52355744
Well fuck off nobody cares.
>>
>>52355433
Do you enjoy showering in your own piss, my friend?
>>
>>52355771
Why don't you?
>>
>>52355786
Dunno, do you like eating shit in your own hands?
>>
>>52355744
I've been using linux at work exclusively on an 8 year old laptop that had vista. It works great as everything I need at work is web based. I got a new hybrid laptop/tablet and the thing is so frustrating. Windows 10 irks me and getting linux to work seamlessly on such a device is not going well. It's a Lenovo so I was pleasantly surprised by the driver support. Ubuntu supports everything on it from bluetooth, to the touchscreen and the wifi. Fedora wont work with it though.

The interface on ubuntu blows though and the laptop uses a 1080 screen. I want to try a different version that doesn't use unity to see if I have better luck with something else.
>>
>>52355916
Can't you use Xubuntu or something with a different DE? Besides the social stigma, what's really wrong with ubuntu besides unitiy
>>
File: rms.jpg (104KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
104KB, 480x320px
>>52355433
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52355956
I can, I just need to figure what will work best with a touch screen
>>
>>52356514
Save your battery life and trade your laptop in for something without touch. Shit's a fad anyways, just like 3D television was.
>>
>>52355433
>he fell for the Xubuntu meme
>>
>>52356598
Manjaro actually.
>>
>>52356587
It was a gift. I would never had bought this myself. It doesn't make sense but it's nicer than my old work laptop
>>
File: 1452332773613.jpg (35KB, 493x387px) Image search: [Google]
1452332773613.jpg
35KB, 493x387px
>>52356598
>Xubuntu
>Meme
Kill self, edgelord
>>
I'm still running xp on an Inspiron from like 2005. I need to upgrade. Can anyone recommend a decent laptop? Probably going to run Linux on it.
>>
>>52355433
Is it made out of chocolate?????????
>>
File: QTuLBso.png (403KB, 499x618px) Image search: [Google]
QTuLBso.png
403KB, 499x618px
>>52357119
I can't recommend a laptop but I can recommend you kill yourself you fucking faggot
>>
>>52357119
>>>/g/tpg
it's not like you're really derailing any super important discussion going on in this boring ass blog thread but seriously why do you faggots have to ask stupid unrelated questions in stupid threads?
>>
>>52357327
>op switch from Windows to Linux
>anon wants to switch from Windows to Linux
What the fuck is the issue here?
>>
How do you edit 4k videos without any decent software?
>>
>>52357119
depends on what you'll do with that laptop but if you wanna run linux anything with intel graphics is a safe bet, also be sure that the wifi is not broadcom and you should be fine. Just avoid AMD gpu's.
>>
>>52357781
Shortcut, Lightworks?
>>
Wobbly windows and conky. Yay! Yay! Look mom in anonymous now!!!
>>
>>52358355
Good to know, I wasn't aware of them. Thxbro
>>
xfce is the greatest
>>
>>52355433
Is it worth it?
>>
>>52358499
Yeah, I sometimes get the opportunity to use Windows 10 and literally can't figure half of it out. I can configure things the way I like, save on resources, and do everything I did on windows on my machine now. I don't play games though, something for you to take into consideration.
>>
>>52358424
>windows 10
nuff said
>>
Main thing that has deterred me from using a Linux-based OS is the lack of software,drivers, and compatible games. How has that shit been lately? Remember trying one out and the shit would only work w/ Ethernet and I was too autistic at the time to research it in-depth so I just reverted to Win7.
>>
>>52357119
thinkpad t420
>>
>>52355771
This guy knows whats up.
>>
>>52355433
you fell for the meme?
>>
>>52358777
As long as you're not using some obscure third world knockoff hardware, Linux is fine on drivers.

If you happen to use a computer that is 100% Intel, Linux is better when it comes to drivers than Windows.

As for games, it highly depends on what you want to play. More and more games are getting their Linux ports, but it is still a very limited selection compared to Windows, and even OS X.
>>
>>52355482
I will pay 50 dollars for a sauce in this girl
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.