[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much is using speakers to build a shelf going to effect their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: HPM100_3_zpsfb004647[1].jpg (624KB, 1024x790px) Image search: [Google]
HPM100_3_zpsfb004647[1].jpg
624KB, 1024x790px
I have a pair of older freestanding speakers and they take up quite a lot of space. They are 29 inches tall and 18 inches wide. So I thought "Hey, kill two birds with one stone and make a 'bricks and boards' bookshelf out of them to save some space." I know if I crank the volume they will vibrate the shelves pretty badly but for normal listening they should be fine right? I have some junk on top of them now and it doesn't seem to hurt anything but will having them so close to books and stuff significantly effect the sound? I know the weight wont be an issue as I have sat on them before (and like many on 4chan and I am quite fat) and they don't budge.

Picture of random old speakers from google.
>>
If they were a decent pair of well build speaker before, the size of the cabinet would of been tuned for the specific driver.
Volume and port sizes (size and depth) matter (look up diy speaker building/golden speaker ratio/port calculations etc)
It's quite possible they will sound like absolute shit.
>>
Any shelf you tack on to the speakers will vibrate and muddle and muddle the sound, even the speaker itself has to be braced properly and made of particular sorts of wood.
>>
Test it. Get a tray between them, stack up some books on it, and hear if the speakers still sound any good.
>>
If you're asking this question then you were never going to have them properly setup for your room anyway.
>>
>>52350605

sell your old speakers

get some good ones (not necessarily new, so not necessarily expensive) that fit on the bookshelf
>>
It's very possible that there would a significant resonance frequency that would sound gross. You can test your luck though.
>>
>>52350605
speaking of speakers, what are some good brands for speakers?
>>
>>52352602
There is none. You have to go by model
>>
Get cable raisers and crystals and you should be fine, OP
>>
What if OP acoustically isolates the speakers from the rest of the shelf with sound deadening material?
>>
>>52353323
That's not really true, for example Sonus Faber only makes legit speakers, no HTIB or multimedia shit like many previously respectable brands (B&W, Focal etc) have been pushing lately.

Whether they're the best bang for your buck is another question altogether.
>>
>>52350605
Old stereo speakers would probably be designed to stand in free space. When you put a speaker up against a wall, on the floor, in a corner, in a cabinet, etc, you're making the bass and midrange louder than what was intended. This is because treble is directional like a ray, and bass is less directional or omnidirectional and behaves as pressure. Sound pressure that would normally fill the air behind the speaker is instead sent to the listener. Basically the more you cover the speakers, the less accurate they will sound.

Resonances also decrease sound quality. You'd want something to put in between the speakers and the shelves like >>52355152
said so you aren't transferring energy to them, especially to the point of vibration.

Also I'm confused, is this going to be a 29 inch tall shelf? Don't place these on the floor. The tweeters are ideally at ear height because of the directional qualities of treble. This is why normal people but speakers on shelves instead of shelves on speakers.

>>52351139
Old speakers are great and it would probably cost a lot of money to buy a modern equivalent.

But if the speakers are nearing 30 years old, the capacitors need replacing to sound their best.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.