[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did people program before the internet? I google probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: programming.gif (29KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
programming.gif
29KB, 256x256px
How did people program before the internet? I google probably 100 times a day at least.
>>
>>52348689
By not being retarded
>>
Reference books and actually using your brain
>>
The had massive documentation. It was almost like the internet - but on a CD drive. Imagine 5gb worth of documentation and samples. Definitely not enough, but that's what used to happen back then.
>>
documentation
>>
>>52348689
Using books you autist
>>
>>52348689
>I google probably 100 times a day at least.

Same way it's done today.

The people with the least amount of ADHD get work done. (hint: not you)
>>
there wasnt any computers before the internet u dumb fuck what would be the point
>>
>>52348689
>how did people get anywhere before cars?
>>
>>52348723
>Before the internet
>CD drive
>5gb
wut
>>
Books and text tutorials downloaded from BBSes.
>>
>>52348757
>car analogies

more like "how did people get anywhere without navigation tools"

the answer is maps
>>
>>52348689
sneakernet
>>
>>52348689
help files
>>
>>52348846
a map is a navigation tool
>>
I borrowed this huge C++ programming book over and over again from local library.

I think I was way better programmer back in the days before twitching to SOF every 5mins. It's like something is wrong in my brain. Like I'm demented. Hard to explain. I struggle with creative solutions and clever playfulness.
>>
>>52348711
Ah, retarded. The insult most commonly used by dumb Americans with no vocabulary.
>>
>>52348785
Think multiple CDs
>>
>>52348723
lolno
they had books.
General programming as well as API specification books.
>>
docs still existed.

sure they didn't have stack overflow, which meant more trial and error. if anything, it meant you really needed passion to get shit done
>>
>Google problem
>its not on stack overflow or any other site
>guess it can't be solved or my google-fu is wrong
>>
my mom and dad both have stories about using fortran, waiting for computer time, dropping stacks etc
>>
>>52348906
YOU'RE a navigation TOOL
>>
>>52348906
And google/documentation doesn't program for you.

It's just there to help achieve desired goal.
Same as a map
>>
>>52348735
Beta fag. Computers existed before the internet. Check the moon landing and calculators. Programming goes further than your fap sites.
>>
>>52349174
the moon isnt a computer u stupid fuck and u cant play video games on calculators
>>
>>52349202
Obvious troll. Here's your bait, nigger.
>>
>>52349202
> (You)
>>
>>52349202
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZijeqH5T0Q
>>
>>52349174
>>52349202
to be perfectly fair, both these posts seem bait
>>
>books
>offline documentation
>not being a shitty webhipster who thinks a 30 minute tutorial is enough to build an application
All of these things are still nice to have.
>>
>>52348689
READ
THE
FUCKING
MANUAL
NOOB
>>
>>52348937

fk u
>>
I've barely googled a C problem since finishing K&R.
So... reference books, exercises.
>>
>>52348689
Programming was a bit different 25 years ago. C only had a handful of standard libraries like cmath and cstdlib that were small and easy to remember. With modern languages every function or datatype you could ever need already exists in a library so you spend less time coding them from scratch and more time reading documentations and example code.
>>
>>52348689
I mostly write Haskell these days and find myself not using online documentation at all. Offline documentation is way faster to browse and more accurate, because it's tied to the installed versions of the libraries.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.