[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programmers BTFO, you're out of a job https://www.kick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 14

File: Me.original.jpg (12KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
Me.original.jpg
12KB, 160x160px
Programmers BTFO, you're out of a job

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1870972122/aos-the-real-software-creation-environment-for-all
>>
http://www.sentienceinc.com/index.asp
>>
Someone pls install the alpha
>>
>It is based on the foundation of Humankind's knowledge - Algebra, Mathematics and Informational Solutions but extends beyond just numbers as do all Software Development Tools to work on Text, Time, Logic, Pictures, Audios, and Videos (the 7 Universal Data Types).
>AOS creates a bubble around the User/Programmer. Outside of the bubble are horribly complex constructs like the TCPIP Protocol which requires a 3 Volume Set of books to describe how to move Information around the planet. Inside the bubble is the User/Programmer, their Informational need (which never has anything to do with the box), their High School knowledge, and a clear idea of how to work their problem through Mathematics and Grammar.

So it's literally just a programming language with a standard library. Kickstarter discarded.
>>
>>52347725
No thanks.
>>
Isn't it a good thing programming is hard? Doesn't it benefit the end-user to have all the retards weeded out before they get the chance to fuck up?
>>
>>52347890
> implying programming is hard
>>
>>52347944
>implying you're actually any good
>>
>>52347659
I'm forcing myself to watch this in hope he actually explains how this is supposed to work.

Ok I give up. Plz explain.
>>
>>52347944
There's a lot to learn, and it can get pretty abstract. This dissuades the casuals.
>>
>>52347968
It's just a more advanced version of Scratch
>>
The way he capitalizes random works in his writing makes him seek crazy. I'm guessing this is something like temple OS
>>
Don't bother watching the video, in less than a minute he starts rambling about Wizards casting spells.
>>
>>52347725
>download limited to 70KB/s
See you in 30 minutes
>>
Muh ScratchScript.JS
>>
>>52347992
Spoken like a true CS student.

>hurr durr it's soooo haaaaarrrrd
No it's not, you're just retarded. I help people like you with their third and fourth year homework even though I'm a mechanical engineering major. Git gud.
>>
>>52348065
I don't programming at all m80. I just know a bunch of ex-cs students who would have fucked up badly if they had managed to get a degree.
>>
>>52348065
Yeah it'll seem easy if you're just helping college kids. It won't seem difficult until you've worked on a large project. You're probably at a shit school, too. Narcissistic shit.
>>
>>52348131
It's number five in the nation for CS and these people are total idiots.

>It won't seem difficult until you've worked on a large project.
Wrong again.
>>
>>52347659
I keked
>>
>>52348065
I think you have profoundly warped and biased perception of "easy" and "difficult."

The difference between a competent person and an average person is like the difference between an average person and a parakeet.
>>
>>52348387
>>52348065
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
>>
>>52348409
Lel, you wish.

Let the butthurt flow through you.
>>
>>52348458
> Their research also suggestscorollaries: highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.

Guessing you didn't read that far due to your ADHD.
>>
File: 1441765048541.jpg (368KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1441765048541.jpg
368KB, 3000x3000px
>>52348065
>>
ITT Mechanical Engineer in this thread realizes his chosen path is not as fun as software development and points at others crying "butthurt!" when it's really "muh butthurts."

Suck it faggot.
>>
Is that the templeOS guy?
>>
>>52347659

>this is what CS autists/mathematicians actually believe

Have fun creating uni year 1 level programs that are 80's level functionality.

Pls go back to your uni/college where you get gold stars for this shit

The rest of us will keep contributing to software people actually use
>>
>>52347755
>7 Universal Data Types
>doesn't even include lists
>>
>>52347659

So this is just like a new JVM then that instead of programming things for it in a conventionaly way they put even more layers of abstraction on top of it so normalfags can create "complex" software?
>>
>>52348167
Yeah, most Americans are retarded. Nothing new there
>>
>>52347659
Fucks sake. This video makes it look like he is selling a free energy machine
>>
>>52347659
so much talk about nothing.. this guy should go into politics
>>
File: noh8.png (47KB, 550x306px) Image search: [Google]
noh8.png
47KB, 550x306px
How do I troubleshoot this?
>>
File: 1321658635654.jpg (13KB, 590x332px) Image search: [Google]
1321658635654.jpg
13KB, 590x332px
>>52349411
Send an error report.
>>
So, what is happening? Are we finished now?
>>
Watching is videos right now.
First I thought it's just some kind of macro recorder, but after watching the longer videos I'm starting to think this might be some TempleOS kind of clusterfuck.
>>
>operates within Microsoft Windows
fucking niggers
>adopt Linux, own it, improve it, then marry it with AOS and be the only OS on the machine: ALUX (AOS on Linux) for $5/mo

WEW LAD
i hope they release the source code
hint: THEY WON'T
>>
>>52348533
>>52348548
Except I actually write useful software so you're both wrong. Currently I'm tuning my compression algorithm.

Hobbies are fun.
>>
He didn't say what AOS is at all. Some "Virtual Operating System " that runs inside of WIndows? That's not really different from Web Browsers, or even a JVM.

He should have shown how you actually create programs in it. How do you do it?
>>
>>52347725
>Extract to the Root of any Drive and Run as Administrator: \AOS\AOS.exe
sure thing buddy
>>
>>52350071
Just trust us, you dumb fuck ;)
>>
>>52349759
>compression algorithm
second to third semester tier
>>
>>52347832
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1870972122/aos-the-real-software-creation-environment-for-all

HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>52350100
Except it beats LZMA. :^)
>>
http://patents.justia.com/inventor/david-amos-brown
>>
>>52347659
>[the current year]
>video production of such low quality
>>
>>52350173
https://twitter.com/davidamosbrown

I want him to meet Terry Davis. Together they would change the world for better.
>>
>>52350243
Terry Davis is smalltime, don't forget this beautiful human being
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92i5cYp98Qk
>>
>AOS means freedom for all of us...
>$5/mo to run software
>>
File: AOS.webm (849KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
AOS.webm
849KB, 640x360px
I couldn't resist
>>
>>52347659
>a shitty virtual OS within windows with a custom language
>0 applicaitons in real world
>monthly fee

yeah real btfo
>>
What he is describing is a visual scripting language. It is pretty cool that he made it, but I don't see how it changes anything.
Making a gui in qt is not harder than what he showed.
Writing functions in this is not harder in python, so what is the benefit to this?
Is it because his approach is closer to only thinking of software in terms of UML instead of sequential operations that this is better?
>>
File: 1446121359576.jpg (195KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1446121359576.jpg
195KB, 1000x750px
>Text, Time, Logic, Pictures, Audios, and Videos (the 7 Universal Data Types).
>logic is a data type
>>
>>52352088
He probably means boolean. OpenEdge ABL (another shitty attempt to put programming in the hands of the untrained) has a "logical" type that means bool.
>>
>>52352170

Cant that simply be an int?
also
>time, pictures, audio and video as data types.

I wonder if people will bite and pay for it.
>>
>>52352221

>Cant that simply be an int?

It could. You could also split all values in the language into "truthy" and "falsy" camps, because computers are hard.
>>
>>52352088
But those are 6 data types
>>
File: Gospers_glider_gun.gif (21KB, 250x180px) Image search: [Google]
Gospers_glider_gun.gif
21KB, 250x180px
Already exists and is called mathematica

ITT: noobs
>>
>>52352671

True and false count as one each.
>>
>>52347890
i think this is so every retard can make their "great app idea" and then shut the fuck up about it after they realize how stupid it is.

this guy is doing us a favor

btw, Jerry Sussman once said "if computers had been invented now (1987) maybe we would be using graphical interfaces to design the programs, instead of text." or something like that. the problem was the programs are too big to fit on the whole screen at once and still be comprehensable
>>
>>52347832
VM dat shit
>>
>>52348017
Sussman used the wizard analogy
>>
>>52347659
Congrats, you know nothing of what a real programmer do nowadays.

By "real", I mean professional programmers, not hobbyist coding a game in ASM or something.

What's hard isn't learning the language, making a for-loop or sending data over a network: those tasks are trivial.

Actually most tasks have been automatized already.
When coding in C# in VisualStudio for instance, or in Java in Eclispe, you hardly need to code anything.
I'd say that more than 90% of the code executed by the machine wasn't actually written by the programmer.
It was either generated, or taken from library (themselves based on libraries), in a foundation of knowledge and tools that has been growing since the 80s.

What the real job is, it's about defining "things", behaviors, workflows, specifying requirements based on user demands, plugging modules together to make everything work.

Programming is like a puzzle game, you take bricks and you assemble them into something coherent.
No machine can do that (unless the current work on AI is far more advanced that I knew of).
It's not about "oh gosh how do I make a for-loop, oh man I forgot a semi-colon"

And because "Visual" style programming "toolsets", where you "code" (i.e. define behavior) with boxes and arrows and flow charts, are great when you want to do something simples, it is almost impossible to manage for more complex projects.

Hence why we stick with programming languages so far, i.e. a textual representation of the bricks and their logical interactions, instead of having a flowchart with hundred of arrows going everywhere in a complete mess.

TL;DR: this AOS project is yet-another no-code style programming language. Yes, it already exist elsewhere. You have plenty of tools to generate code from specifications, test cases, UML models, ...
>>
>>52348015
There's only one templeOS NIGGER!
>>
>>52353319

The problem is that a graphical UI is often badly designed and takes much space to do menial tasks.

Like UE4 script editor or whatever, its much easier and compact to just write what you want.
Plus programming is good exercise for your brain anyways.
>>
>>52351239
whaat
>>
>>52352325
In a true Orwellian fashion.
>>
>>52349733
You seem literally retarded
>>
>>52353319
Only one subset of programming can be done this way, which is user level software.
For this reason I believe you are just a user, or at most a small time programmer.
>>
>>52353876
I think you are the small time programmer.

If you spend more than 1% of your programming time on actual "programming" issues like syntax, declaration, compiling errors... then it's probably because you are working on a small project like a script or a one shot program in an environment you are not familiar with.

Or you are working with ASM, or equally unadapted technology for your project.

Or you just started programming last year.

If you spend more than 1% of your project time on actual programming and syntax issue, you have a problem (but really, I could have said no more than 0.01%, in anycase, it's a
fraction of your time).

99.99% of the time is spent on either defining specifications, or implementing them.

Exemple:
Specification: We need to send email to all customers.
Implementation:
customers.forEach( customer => Mailer.send(customer, theMail) )

It's just a matter of knowing what you want to do, and how to express it in a computer-friendly way.
There is no programming difficulty.
I think anybody who understand a little bit of English can understand hat is being done here without any knowledge of computer programming.
It can't get simpler than that.

All the difficulty lies in correctly expressing the need, and choose the appropriate structures to work with.
>>
>>52354303
The last 3 things I wrote were a micro kermel, a fast bridge for a proprietary sensor to put on a robot, and an RS-232 driver for an obscure chipset. None of these can be written with the patterns you've described.
Embedded software and performance software are still a thing, to a great degree.
If you are a professional, you're completely lost in whatever field you're in.
>>
>Text, Time, Logic, Pictures, Audios, and Videos (the 7 Universal Data Types)
Sounds like some kind of fucking cult
>>
>>52348065
I'm a retarded math major and I help retarded mechanical engineering majors like you :^)
>>
>>52350071

TRUSS MI DADDY
>>
>>52353456
For most gameplay programming tasks Blueprint is way more comfortable than the UE4 API. It still has a bunch of define/header spaghettis everywhere despite it being better than UE3.
>>
Rather acute "Word Salad" tone.
He sounds mentally ill.

>Abstract: A system and methodology that allows >the lay public to create, edit, and execute >complex software programs by implementing a >fundamentally new definition of a software >program and creating a programming >environment that that leverages the existing >knowledge of information manipulation that the >vast majority of publicly-educated persons >possess.
>>
>>52354303
>>52354443
Really depends of your field honestly. In modeling/simulation it's about 9/10 preparation and 1/10 implementation.
>>
> I can't tell if he is trolling
https://www.google.com/patents/US20120180033
>>
>>52354303
Actually, let me rework my example to the much better :
customers.forEach( customer => customer.send(theMail) )

>>52354443
No. You are just stuck on old technologies.
I'm not saying that C and ASM are bad in themselves. But they are old. Ideas and paradigms have changed since the 80s.

The line I wrote says nothing about performance.
That's the job of the compiler to deal with performance.
The line I wrote is a valid C# line. I know C will perform better than C#.

However, that could have been be a line of a language we will call NewC, and for which the compiler has a "perfect" ASM translation.

If you think that:
int i = 0
for(;i<CUSTOMER_LEN;i++)
{
send(customers[i], the_raw_email, MAIL_LEN);
}

inherently performs better than my line, then it's you who are lost in your field.
Look at what Rust (the language) is trying to do.
Mixing better syntax and direct machine code output.

Sure sometimes I suppose it will be necessary to go down and work in ASM. But this represent only a minuscule fraction of the code actually produced, an only in specialized areas.
You can't generalize your experience and say that I am the one lost in my field. Plus I also happened to have developed low level drivers in C/ASM although I don't work in that field anymore.
>>
>>52354751
shows the fractal nature of all Function-Centric programs.

Now that is rich.
>>
>>52348820
What is "Logic" supposed to mean as a data type btw
>>
>>52354805
I guess top/bottom? Nothing on this kickstarter page makes any sense anyways.
>>
>>52347659
Kickstarter is filled with shills
Revolutionary concept
>>
>>52354779

Not even that guy but you're full of shit.
C and asm are still a thing because the shit programs you write are based on top of them.

Fucking neo-ludites.
>>
>>52347659

I wonder what would Terry say to this guy.
>>
>>52354890
Yeah.
C and ASM are still a thing because in some situations, the pros still outweighs the cons.

Which is another way of saying that sometimes there is nothing better, which doesn't mean we cannot do better.

Do you know that z/OS, COBOL, ... are still widely used today?
Do you think it's because they are the best?
Do you think we haven't done better since ?
>>
did somebody installed this shit?

it looks like a scam to me. Guy sounds like a scam
>>
>>52348022
It's been 7 hours :'(
>>
File: wp47592b1d_06.png (14KB, 236x143px) Image search: [Google]
wp47592b1d_06.png
14KB, 236x143px
I still remember SQL being promoted as the end of programmers. No longer would companies have the hire expensive programmers, SQL is written in a human syntax that any manager can use. There have since been dozens of other "end of the programmer" technologies released. Most found a small number of suckers to adopt them and then they had to go out and find a programmer to use them because they didn't live up to the hype of being so easy a manager can use it.
>>
>>52355274

I see it this way

>every software/language has a learning curve
>non-technical people hate learning software
>therefore, there will always be need for IT/programmer people
>>
File: boxer.jpg (201KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
boxer.jpg
201KB, 1200x900px
>>52355274
This Patent Troll asshat is broken, it seems to happen with late career and retired IT people.

Japan proved 4GL will not work too.

>The World is About to Change (start at the bottom) Hardware, Software, and Audio Engineer, Scientist, Inventor, Singer, Songwriter
ALSO
>15 software languages
BUT
Can't make a website and uses author software for IE4 to IE 6
> Guess JS and markup and too hard when you do all this VP LEVEL AI PROGRAMMING
>>
>another dead in the water kickstarter
When will they learn?

The best part is, even if they do deliver people who use it will be so dependant on this environment they won't be able to work outside its limitations.
>>
File: manager.gif (892KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
manager.gif
892KB, 245x245px
>>52355565
He should be taking middle managers in the IT department of local companies to lunch and to play golf. Those idiots will buy any high priced package that claims to reduce labor costs and increase productivity while locking the client in. At my last job we had to use insanely expensive portal software for our public facing web site even though the site didn't have any portal functionality. The project took three times as long as just writing the HTML directly. But the department manager had been suckered into spending a ton of money on the portal software and needed to use it in a project to make it appear to his superiors to have been a good purchase. Since they had no idea how long a new website would take, it taking three times as long as it should have didn't raise any alarm bells.
>>
I am a C# programmer and will tell you this is DOA.
>>
>>52357087
This. The amount of time and money squandered on ERPs is staggering. Of course by then it's "too expensive" to let somebody smart even think about fixing it.
>>
>>52354779
>The line I wrote says nothing about performance.
>That's the job of the compiler to deal with performance.
Holy fucking shit. I lost my shit right there. Thanks, m8. I'm gonna keep this to use for shitposting in /dpt/.
>>
>>52358166
That guy write code for business client side software and think he's a programming wizard.

Software development is larger than write code to display an input form (nothing wrong with that, but it's only a small area in programming)
>>
>>52347959
im good enough to implement whatever this copy and paste picture flow chart nonsense is going to be able to accomplish
>>
>>52348409
FUCKING MOBILE SHITTER
>>
>>52354303

What this guy is saying is generally true, but he's obviously an Enterprisey business application developer.

Basically, everything he does is just a layer on top of a database. The technology is extremely straightforward, and most of the work is bureaucracy around gathering and analyzing requirements, creating specs, then finally spending some time writing the code that meets the specs.

Personally, the most difficult things in my life have been understanding poorly documented APIs, poorly documented and strangely implemented source bases, and that sort of thing. Very rarely have I had an actual algorithmic difficulty issue (i.e. assigned to accomplish something where you literally have no idea how one would implement that, and eventually you invent what is, for all intents and purposes, a completely new, one-off algorithm).

Learning things like languages is the bottom tier of programming challenges. It's trivial, but somewhat time consuming. You know you can do it, it's just a matter of maintaining focus and momentum rather than any kind of intellectual difficulty.

>>52354779
>No. You are just stuck on old technologies.

Well, dang, now I think you're actually an idiot. "Old technologies" has nothing to do with it. Java and C# spoon-feed you most of the blocks you need to assembly to write babby-simple desktop data manipulation applications. But there exists an entire world of more complex tasks, and it has nothing to do with the age of the language.
>>
>>52358585
>(nothing wrong with that, but it's only a small area in programming)

It's actually a pretty huge area of programming, in terms of the number of jobs and amount of labor.
>>
>>52354805
I guess they're treating functions as a data type or something?
>>
>>52347890
Because you think only retarded programmers make mistakes?
You may want to recount the number of security leaks in every single piece of software for the last decade, it's rather eyes opening.
>>
File: 131949461.jpg (84KB, 1002x1002px) Image search: [Google]
131949461.jpg
84KB, 1002x1002px
JUST
>>
>>52351176
Its free as in freedom, not free as in free beer

>>52351239
Welp, time to donate
>>
>>52361778
Who says those developers aren't retarded?

Source: worked with these people, pointed out these gaping holes, proposed fixes, and was fired for it.
>>
>>52352983
>we would be using graphical interfaces to design the programs, instead of text.
Oh god that sounds fucking awful.
Who the fuck is Doctor Suessman anyway?
>>
>>52363372
>Source: worked with these people, pointed out these gaping holes, proposed fixes, and was fired for it.
STORY TIME!!!
>>
File: 2747568565435345.png (245KB, 800x452px) Image search: [Google]
2747568565435345.png
245KB, 800x452px
>>52361875
>How do you want your software fĂ m?
>Remember the style of youtube videos in 2006?
>Say no more
>>
>>52347659
I think this boosts learning at best. What you do with the knowledge wont change and never will.
Wanna change your world ? - sweet go for it
Wanna change the world!? - go into politics
>>
>>52347659
> When you have the fundamental capabilities of programming at your fingertips, and dont have to concern yourself with computer related things.
WOW THATS GOING TO BE FUCKING AWFUL!
The benefit of everyone not being able to make ebay bots is that it isnt just who has the strongest computers & the most money.
> Lets go change the world
Fuck off David Brown
>>
>>52353319
tl;dr, but this guy is right. The only people using this schlock will be people who know nothing of actual software engineering and can't build a stable system for shit. They might be able to get the job done, but no sane software engineer will touch that shit. Even jQuery lowers the barrier to entry with JavaScript enough that I'm hesitant to touch large projects built with jQuery because they're generally built by know nothing fucks, and most of my time will be spent cleaning up their mess.
>>
>>52347659
This is a Joke.
>>
Only has 7 backers, give the guy a break.
>>
>>52363784
>two dumb people build bid-bot with this
>bid on same item
>forgot to enter a limit
>bid-bots bid til bid is won
>one dumb person now a broke ass motherfucker
>>
>>52364265
he had three backers yesterday.
>>
>>52347659
https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-amos-brown-01636567
His linkedin is not so shit: AT&T, RCA.
>>
>>52364433
>yet another electrical engineer who doesn't want to deal with pesky code / severely underestimates the complexity of software

Why am I not surprised? This is why the field of embedded is full of shitty programmers.
>>
>>52347659
seems legit
>>
>>52351239
Holy shit, that made my sad wine-controlled day.
>>
>>52347659
>Outside of the bubble are horribly complex constructs like the TCPIP Protocol
>>
>>52354443
>The last 3 things I wrote were a micro kermel, a fast bridge for a proprietary sensor to put on a robot, and an RS-232 driver for an obscure chipset

Hey anon, I doubt you're still there but how can I learn to write stuff like this?

Maybe ignoring the micro kernel part. I can into higher level C and C++ but have literally zero knowledge wrt sensors and low level stuff and that's what I really want to learn.
>>
>>52348065
>third and fourth year homework
>programming assignments

fuck off liar
>>
>>52347755
so it is like java ?
>>
>>52347659
>Outside of the bubble are horribly complex constructs like the TCPIP Protocol which requires a 3 Volume Set of books to describe how to move Information around the planet.

>TCPIP
>complex

Oh I had a giggle
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.