[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Game Maker just a program used by normies who think they can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Game_maker_logo.png (27KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Game_maker_logo.png
27KB, 250x250px
Is Game Maker just a program used by normies who think they can program or can something actually be made using it?
>>
>>52346294
The end justifies the means, anon
Is Python a bad language?
>>
>anything related to gaming
>not for normies
I bet you're a special little snowflake, anon
>>
It can definitely be used for proper work. Several successful commercial games have been made with it. I've also made a commercial program using it, it's quite niche and not a game, but I've had around $1600 in sales so far.
>>
>>52346493
>bla bla 1600$ bla

just tell us what is is
>>
>>52346517
http://bitlasers.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=82
>>
>>52346493
>>52346517
>>52346547
$1600/$25 = 64

only 64 idiots
>>
>>52346547
nice
>>
>>52346613
The program was $10 for a while so it's a bit more, but why do you think they are idiots?
>>
Undermeme was made by Game Maker
>>
>>52346294
Nuclear Throne, Gunpoint, Nidhogg, Arcane Soul, Orphan are all decent games made in Gamemaker.

It can do very basic 3d, but for 2d (especially singleplayer, but recently also multiplayer) is certainly fine.

It is incredibly good for prototypes.
>>
>>52346631
He's just jealous, ignore him
>>
Several decently successful indie games have been made using GameMaker and even RPGMaker.

AFAIK GameMaker (or one of its predecessors) let you use write arbitrary C++ extensions when you really need to jump down to real code.

Like Unity, it's a decent choice for whipping up a prototype.
>>
It's a decent choice for 2D games, but bear in mind that it has quite a few intricacies and gimmicks that can be a problem in the future. If you ask a dev who developed a moderately successful game in GM, he'll point you a few of its inherent design flaws, like enclosed formats (this makes a bit harder to do translations), problems with timing and FPS (math and variables are tied to FPS).
>>
>>52349570
Much of this has been fixed.

Not entirely sure what you mean by enclosed formats, if you are talking about the GM project files, they are no longer closed, all resources are split in individual files and they are all XML-like so that you can edit them in a normal text editor and do proper version control with git or whatever.

Timing is also not really a problem anymore as you can use delta_time to tie any actions to real time rather than FPS. The physics system built-in even does this automatically.

But you are right that it has some problems. My biggest issue is that all games are sandboxed, so if you want to open/save external files outside the program's own little folder (in appdata on windows), you have to go through a special function that lets the user choose the file location manually, you can't just feed an address to the file functions and expect it to work. There are workaround, like using external libraries with non-sandboxed file IO functions, but that has problems of its own, like not being cross-platform etc.
>>
What's the difference between GM and Unity?
Does either excel in a certain situation?
Also, can you just use code with either?
>>
>>52346294
if you're going to make physics-based games with Game Maker, you're going to have a horrible time just because of the way the engine works

so for simple games it's an easy way to bang out a game, and even has its own programming language for more complicated stuff
>>
>>52350073
GM - 2D
Unity - 3D
>>
>>52346313
Game engines are pretty rad software
>>
Undertale was made using gamemaker studio
>>
K E K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmN__irPcXE
>>
>>52350073
GM - really good for 2D games, GML is probably the easiest language to use for a beginner as it's specifically designed for making games. Good if you suck at making graphics since there's a ton of free images online, or if you just work alone. It will give you a good insight into the whole "what is needed to make a game" thing.

Unity - 3D, and even 2D games can be made (depending on what you do, it can actually be easier than in game maker). You can use javascript or c# to code. More expensive if you want to use it professionally. Good if you have a small or medium team.

Both can export to just about any platform, including consoles (if I remember correctly), but require a lot of money to purchase the editions which do that.
Overall GM is really good to start with if you've never made anything, as it's way more simple, but it's a lot harder to make anything more serious in it, so just stick with unity if you want to do something more serious later in life. You may also take a look at the new Unreal engine, since it's completely free (unless you earn over $1000 per month per product) but it's a bit more complex than unity.
>>
>>52353017
Thanks!
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.