[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>There are people browsing /g/ right now who willingly run

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 1409982646579.jpg (37KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
1409982646579.jpg
37KB, 580x346px
>There are people browsing /g/ right now who willingly run proprietary software

Holy shit. Just wow.
>>
>>52344926
Which OS do you use?

No proprietary parts at all? I envy you if that's the case, but I'm too lazy to even try at this point.
muh software, muh drivers...
>>
I use a ton of proprietary software's, hardware's, hell even my car is proprietary. I bet my house is too... you can't stop the net that is known as bot.
>>
>>52344926
OP do you work?
>>
>>52344926
I'll bet your mother's cunt that the WLAN driver you're shitposting right now on is proprietary.
>>
File: edgy-mc-edge.png (135KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
edgy-mc-edge.png
135KB, 450x300px
>>52345125
>>
But /g/ runs with a proprietary imageboard software.
>>
>>52345184
Open source is an even bigger joke than proprietary software. Most of the dummies pushing it can't program or even troubleshoot anyway so what's the point?
>>
>>52345346
>Meanwhile on the real world.
https://www.llnl.gov/news/nnsa-national-labs-team-nvidia-develop-open-source-fortran-compiler-technology
>>
>>52344979
>>52345125
Key word is "willingly". I can't choose an open firmware hard drive. But I can choose my OS, drivers, etc. Yet people still willingly choose proprietary alternatives when they could avoid it.
>>
I think the fight for user freedom is important.
But to do this, we have to work with the tools that exist.
Right now there is no way to do hardware development without using some proprietary software. But free hardware is just as important as free software, so I am willing to use the current tools to build better tools.
>>
>>52345365
Open source Fortan compiler, wow.. That's really going to change the world.
>>
>>52345400
Yep, it's going to make it easier to make completely free drivers for graphics cards and so on.
>>
>>52345400
Fortran is widely used
>>
>>52345365
>Right, because nVidia writing a Fortran compiler is totally the same thing as the garden variety Linux hipster debugging software they use or writing their own.
>>
>>52345400
>web devs
Yeah improving GPU cluster computing for one of the most used languages in the industry is a total waste of time.
>>52345539
>implying open source development has anything to do with neckbreads.
>>
>>52345539
When it comes down to it, 90% of Firefox users are in the same boat. Want a new feature or an old bug fixed? You have to wait for somebody else to do it because you can't. Don't want something changed or removed? Tough, decision's made without you and you can't program to reverse it.
>>
>>52345563
>>implying open source development has anything to do with neckbreads.
No, I'm implying that open source development has to do with development. If you can't program or the dev team are tools, you're just as powerless as if it was proprietary software. For users to champion one product they have no control over versus a different product they have no control over on the basis of having control is idiotic.
>>
>>52345669
I use software based on quality and features, and for some areas open source provides the best solution, i'm not some freetard crying about muh evil proprietary malware.
As i see it open source provides one of the best models to improve and create technology.
>>
>>52345399
>chkd
this
>>
>>52345738
But supporting free projects is the only way we can ensure technological improvement.
When a proprietary company fails, the effort they have done is wasted.
When a free project fails, the useful parts can be salvaged, or other people can take over.

Right now a lot of proprietary software is better and easier to use than free solutions.
Eg the server market is heavily dominated by proprietary software and centralized services.
And easier to setup means more people will use it.
>>
File: 38958.png (46KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
38958.png
46KB, 600x600px
Running 100% free software is invalidated by running even a single piece of proprietary hardware.

Check mate freetards.
>>
>>52344926
Functionality > freedom
>>
>>52346059
>chewing gum fell on the floor
>apartment is now dirty
>might as well shit and piss all over the walls
>>
>>52346059
Obviously you can't be 100% free but you should always go for as much as possible.
It is like owning the logs of everything you do.
Owning 100% is hard as you are probably using a lot of services you do not own (4chan is one)
But what you can do, is getting as much as possible.
>>
>>52346176
this
>>
>>52344926
>There are autistic sperglords on /g/ right now that actually give a shit about software that complete strangers use

Holy shit. Just wow.
>>
>>52347896
It's not as clear as it seems. The lines get very blurry when programs should communicate.
"Got Skype?"
Now it suddenly matters what the other guy uses.

The correct answer, of course, is, "No. I don't have Skype."
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.