[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to linux >can't because mech. engineering software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: FB_IMG_1447016015111.jpg (37KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1447016015111.jpg
37KB, 640x640px
>want to linux
>can't because mech. engineering software

Life is truly suffering.
>>
>>52327440
Have you tried using Wine or PlayonLinux?
>>
File: prensive.jpg (62KB, 1574x1180px) Image search: [Google]
prensive.jpg
62KB, 1574x1180px
>>52327440
So wait you can't because your mentally retarded or you can't because you have a pre concieved view of how linux works and your too dumb too grab a computer and get a hands on aproach pajeet?
>>
>>52327440
Civil engineer here, I know your suffering. We also have autocad and solidworks. But you can always dual boot. I dual boot except when i need those exact programs.
>>
>>52327440
Just dual-boot or install a virtual machine for the Windows specific software you need.
>>
>>52327845
Wine and playonlinux never work. I have used linux for many years and have tried to run countless applications in wine and have only sucessfully done it ONCE. if people need windows applications they should have a dual boot or run a VM.
>>
>>52327863
D E V E L O P E R S

D E V E L O P E R S

D E V E L O P E R S

D E V E L O P E R S

>>
>>52327845
>>52327863
Just can't afford the unreliability of virtual machines and all

>>52327871
>>52327878
Thats what I'll probably do. Do the two OS' interfere with eachother in any way?
>>
>>52327863
I think he can't because he have to work in the real world.
>>
>>52327440
>tfw EE
SPICE, matab, altera, EAGLE and MPLAB X all run on linux :^)

serves you right for choosing a meme degree
>>
>>52327918
If anything, virtual machines are more reliable since their 'hardware' can't fail and any system changes can be reverted trivially.
>>
>>52327918
>Thats what I'll probably do. Do the two OS' interfere with eachother in any way?

Not sure what you mean by interfere, but you shouldn't have problems running both OSs on your computer. Just make sure Windows is installed first and that you partition your harddrive. Also, if your computer is like mine you'll have to do some configurations to be able to boot to Linux in UEFI mode; if you don't, you'll have to open your BIOS every time you switch OS and manually change the boot mode.
>>
File: iR73fdPCVWY.gif (2MB, 320x134px) Image search: [Google]
iR73fdPCVWY.gif
2MB, 320x134px
>>52327918
Get another hard drive.
Install linux to it.
Set it as the first boot device.
Rescan all the drives with GRUB.
You now have both OS's.

As for the unreliability of virtual machine if you use autocad and have 8 Cores and a Firepro or a quadro GPU you can use KVM and hardware passthrough and the performance loss is negligiable depending on how much ram you have.

>>52327937
>I think he can't because he have to work in the real world.

If the real world you always find a solution you don't whine and shit all over the walls like a Indian.
>>
File: 1451504768304.jpg (13KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1451504768304.jpg
13KB, 540x489px
>Want to use linux
>play loads of games and often do extensive stuff in excel
so I dualboot for those and for rest I use Arch
because I am not retarded
and I am not a loser with bunch of excuses on everything in my life, right OP you soon to be dropout
>>
File: RichardStallman.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
RichardStallman.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>52327918
>Do the two OS' interfere with eachother in any way?

Not at all... Except, remember that windows ONLY reads things in window based file systems. while Linux read all file systems. So if you just do everything default then you can not find files saved on your linux partition while you are on windows, but you can always find stuff on the windows partition. If you want to be able to find files in each others partitions then make sure your linux partition is of the NTFS filetype. (but then again your windows 10 system is going to catalog everything in your linux filesystem, if you want privacy just keep the defaults and move any files you need over to windows part of the harddisk before booting up on it.

Apart from that there is literally no difference
>>
>>52327962
>>52327985
>>52328019
>>52328023

Thanks for the help brehs, I'll try what you suggested when I catch time. Have a meme for your trouble.
>>
>>52327440
use windows for work and linux for slacking out. If you really want to linux ofc. Best thing is to buy hdd for linux alone so there is no way you will mess with your work stuff. Also non graphical shit works great on virtual machines.
>>
>>52327440
Dual boot?
>>
>>52327440
guys not op and a little off topic ,but is there any sense to use ssd with linux ? would put only / on it , /home on hdd since all files go there. Since system takes up to 10 gb of place i would have to buy like a 32 or 64 gb ssd, and my boot times are ok already so idk :<
>>
>>52328451
Kingston ssd's are cheap as fuck.
You can get 120 gb for as little as 30$.
I don't see why not use it as the main drive even.
>>
>>52328476
i may put a game or two from steam library , but i dont want to keep data/media on ssd. it requires another filesystem instead of ext4 right?
>>
>>52327985
he found a solution. He pays for windows and software because the small amount of money he pays up front is worth not having to put in all the hours in the beginning setting up compatibility in linux and later fixing things in linux when they don't work as planned, potentially costing him money as an engineer in the form of late projects.

This is what engineers do, they solve problems in the best way possible. For his situation linux is not cost effective unless he works for a large company that rolls their own system image for the engineers to use, and has a dedicated linux autist to keep it running.

insisting on using linux for every possible scenario is legitimately autism. don't use it for work unless it makes your work easier.
>>
>>52328019
>because I am not retarded
>i use arch

There can only be one.....
>>
File: i_5666f665.jpg (28KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
i_5666f665.jpg
28KB, 600x337px
>>52328512
>setting up time
>Any decent distro with an installer take up 10 mins to setup.
>KVM takes 5-10 mins to setup
>A windows install with passthrough takes another 10-15 mins to setup.

Aye engies are retarded alright.

>>52328506
Eh no, SSD's work exactly like a regular hard drive in terms of filesystems and other assorted bullcrap.
All you need to do is turn on TRIM and not have a Swap partition or file on it and your fine.
>>
>>52327440
use a vm for the windows only stuff. thats what everyone does.

>>52327918
>Just can't afford the unreliability of virtual machines and all
wth ? just every fucking company runs a shitton of them, because they more reliable than a physial machine
>>
>>52328512
this anon is right. Use the right tool for the right job. Unless you have a company that can reduce its spending by making its own software for linux and not buying windows (which is very unlikely since its usually autocad or some big pricy software) it has no sense. if its basic word typing + internet access then why not.
>>
>>52328573
>http://caelinux.com/CMS/
>>
>>52328549
thx for info anon <3
>>
>>52327440
You're a mechanical engineer...you have your options.

1. Use a VM. Oracle VM VirtualBox. Also download a Linux image. You don't need to install the linux image, just the VM software. (Unless someone can suggest a VM software that can be used on thumbdrive.) Prefered Linux versions: Linux Mint or Arch Linux.

2. Get in there add a second harddrive. Burn Linux on it. Partitioning is a PITA IMHO. (IDK, My BFF Jill?) Got a laptop? Run it from a thumbdrive or SD card. Change to boot order on your bios to check removable media for startup images. (I usually like to do this anyway, because FUCK WINDOWS.)
>>
>>52328586
uh anon i like to tell you that there are normies autistic enough to tell you that they wont use autocad 2015 over 2014 because the interface is different (hotkeys are the same and normies use them) *Rees internally*
>>
>>52328512
>This is what engineers do, they solve problems in the best way possible.

To be honest, we solve problems in A possible way that is under budget. To find the best way posible is tedious and rarely worth it. Build a bridge under budget that can last 100 years without problems then you have done great.
>>
>>52328904
Then you don't hire them because they have mental health issues.
>>
>>52328784
>1. Use a VM. Oracle VM VirtualBox. Also download a Linux image. You don't need to install the linux image, just the VM software. (Unless someone can suggest a VM software that can be used on thumbdrive.) Prefered Linux versions: Linux Mint or Arch Linux.

It is WINDOWS that should be run in a VM. or else you miss out of tons of security features and so on by having the datacollecting botnet from windows looking at your stuff.

>2

Partitioning is not a pain in the ass with linux.
>>
>>52329080
but some of them are really good at their work if their autism is satisfied, and the workspace should be constructed for the worker and not vice versa.
>>
File: EVIL.gif (2MB, 366x266px) Image search: [Google]
EVIL.gif
2MB, 366x266px
>>52329150
The workspace is constructed and designed to the requirements of the work not the worker yah dingus.
>>
>>52329897
sure thats why every worker has the same size of workshoes / protective wear and the same size of everything ever. And if you go to the employer and ask em a different size/type of chair because u get backpain u get fired. Are you from america or china something?
>>
>>52327985

>get another hard drive

hey it's 2016 everybody uses laptops, you know.

so just

>free the partition space of 10-20 GB in Winows partition manager tool
>install GENTOO on this free space along with GRUB
>enjoy
>>
>>52330359
>its 2016 already
u can get a 128gb fast pendrive and install linux on it, its 2016 so its even cheaper
>>
File: enjoy this.gif (238KB, 351x361px) Image search: [Google]
enjoy this.gif
238KB, 351x361px
>>52330206
>Protection wear

Nigger we're talking about computers and software and not articles of clothing and phisical security.

>>52330359
>What is ODD
>>
>>52330474
I was talking about work efficiency. You dont force changes on a workplace that would affect it negatively. That from what i read is part of the reason Debian has stable packages - the updates cannot influence workflow or changes in api/abi, as stated in security policy faq.
>>
>>52330434
>128gb pendrive
>as fast as HDD/SSD

pick one

>>52330474
>he still uses odd in 2016
>he still wears a 12-pound jackhammer and 16-pound charger everywhere with him
>>
>>52330786
>128gb ssd
>as pluggable to an usb port of a laptop with a hdd and windows installed , also as cheap and mobile as a 128gb pendrive
pick ΒΌ , also i believe the guy wants to fuck around with linux
>>
>>52327440
serves you right
>>
>>52327440

MechE here too op. The vmware workstation can accelerate windows cad apps using your linux gpu. Just buy nvidia and run the binary driver. (yes that part sucks).

Intel is building GPU virtulization into their high end products, and this stuff is percolating into open source stuff. Say 2 years until you can easily hardware accelerate CAD inside a qemu session with intel hardware (which doesn't suck that badly anymore)

You can run gpu passthrough on qemu and just have an extra videocard in the machine dedicated to running windows in the vm. This means toggling inputs to your monitors.

Or do what I have done since '94. Keep the windows shit on a 2nd computer, network the two with a samba share, and use the best tool for the job. You can buy a reasonable CAD workstation for ~$400 with an older nvidia quadro gpu off of ebay.
>>
>>52330854

usb-plugged ssd is limited by usb 3.0 speed still

>i believe the guy wants to fuck around with linux

yea, you're right here
>>
>>52327863
>calling OP retarded
>can't use correct spelling of "you're"
>>
>>52329106

Not that guy. The problem with mechE software is CAD. If you are doing mechanical design you have a really high end workstation with a great video-card and a cpu with the highest single thread performance (high clocks, not high core counts - CAD software is not well multi-threaded).

Yeah from a security standpoint what you are saying is correct, but running CAD inside a VM normally sucks compared to running on the metal as the graphics hardware has not been designed for virtulization.

It's just like running VM software before Intel and AMD added the extensions to their chips to make it hardware accelerated. - it sucks.
>>
Just dualboot or buy a secondary drive dedicated for a windows installation + those few windows exclusive software suites you need if you really need to.

Or just deal with the fact your profession is not compatible with linux right now and forget about it.
>>
So?

Get a vps for like ~6 bucks a month
>>
>>52331028
>The vmware workstation can accelerate windows cad apps using your linux gpu. Just buy nvidia and run the binary driver. (yes that part sucks).
Or don't be a retard and get amd and use the open source driver.
>>
>>52331172

I have had nothing but trouble with the open source AMD driver. Hell, didn't they just add dynamic clocking? The closed source amd driver is better (but not great).

I have had very good experience with the Intel open source stuff, but its performance has been lacking. On Haswell+ hardware, I have seen some ok performance on Intel.

I have had the least trouble with the nvidia binary driver on their quadros. Just hold your nose and install. Zero glitches. This is normal uptime for me on the nvidia driver, and I beat the hell out of the machine.

$ uptime
13:50:34 up 357 days, 9:49, 23 users, load average: 0.17, 0.25, 0.29

I have never gotten anything like that on AMD hardware, particularly with open source drivers since AGP was a thing.

IMHO as the gpu's become a normal part of the execution environment - like using openCL, the vendors are all going to have to make sure their hardware is well supported by open source. At that point, if you can bang the hardware in an opensource way, what is so special about graphics? Its just buffers that contain pixel data instead of other data types.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.