[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2016 >one of our customers is planning to retire their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: VAX.jpg (869KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
VAX.jpg
869KB, 1536x2048px
>2016
>one of our customers is planning to retire their last VAX this year
Have you got any stories of old hardware /g/?
>>
>>52326352

That's sexy, did they use it as a mail server?
>>
>>52326358
No. It's a hospital, and their old patient system never really got phased out completely apparently.
Rather it is run in tandem with the new system, both systems exporting some stuff back and forth.
>>
2016 we still support FrontPage Extensions as well as SiteStudio, clients are also migrating to us, because of that.
>>
>>52326352
>retire their last VAX this year

Why replace something that isn't broken :^)
>>
>>52326352
Got any actual pictures besides the wikipedia one?
>>
>>52327214
>datacenters
>allowing cameras in
>>
>>52327240
>Retired VAX Machines
>Inside the datacenter
Are you blind and daft m8?
>>
>>52327266
>planning to retire

It's still in service.
>>
>>52327214
Nope. I have only ever connected to it remotely.
>>
File: Thales Boot.jpg (10KB, 470x245px) Image search: [Google]
Thales Boot.jpg
10KB, 470x245px
>2016
>Vancouver, Canada
>Worlds longest driverless transit system still boots from a floppy
>>
>>52326352
I still need to use a 600MHz Pentium iii machine to get my tape library to run. Not super exciting, but I am not looking forwards to the day it dies.
>>
>>52330201
but it werks.

no reason to change it if it works
>>
>get introduced to credit carding system of large bank
>the whole system for generating new cards relies on a shitty pentium 2 PC running win2k which generates new keys or something
>>
>Most cash register computers of any
store

All look like they are running DOS or some old custom text-based interface. It's pretty fascinating.
>>
>be a few years ago
>like 5 or 6
>get hired in a medium sized business, 15 or so employees
>taken to my 'office'
>litteraly a closet with a desk
>workstation is a server
>sorry, i mean THE server
>that keeps the whole business running
>its old as dirt and is struggling to keep up
>two pentium 3 1,3ghz, 1gb ram
>so worn that it would not power on after i took it offline
>ask them to upgrade everything, they are actually dependent on a lot of services that were abandonware
>sure, of course thats what you were hired for, heres the budget for this year
>notimpressed.jpg
>get cracking and buy new equipment, and software
>people complaining about the transition because downtime, eventhough i only took the system down at night
>people complaining that shit doesn't work because they can't figure new software out
>people complaining that the printer is jammed
>get a fairly decent little data center running in that cozy closet
>but it was getting cramped in there
>the closet next to mine was about the same size, and used for jackets, the fridge and supplies
>idea.webm
>move printer to that closet
>make a warning label that the printer emits ozone and that ozone is a toxic gas
>no jackets in there fridge is empty
>move everything out
>remove wall
>office now double the size
>a year later everything was installed, idiots were trained, and bugs sorted out
>error correcting was automated to some extent
>basically i was just masturbating and watching tv

those were the days
>>
>>52326358
>VAX
>mailserver
>2015
You're memeing right?
>>
>>52330201
They should upgrade to Blueray 4K boots because of the stunning and polished experience, am I rite?
>>
>>52330201
If it boots and it doesn't require any upgrades its not worth touching.
However its always worth to have an upgrade planm in wait.
>>
>company hires new managers who don't know anything
>they hear that most of the real time software that they are using without problems was written in the 1970s and 80s in cobol
>they decide to "upgrade" it to "modern" languages because it's "too old"
>>
>>52334254
Actually Cobol its a dated language and there's very few people that can understand it.
>>
>>52332676
Why the fuck would you try to greentext any of that you fucking faggy retard
>>
>>52326352
My company still runs simulations on a vax because they lost the source code for a tool but still had the compiled binaries.
>>
>>52332997

>get hired in a medium sized business, 15 or so employees
>medium sized business
>15 or so

Kek
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.