[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You have got to be kidding me /g/ School's always been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 11

File: IQCj2ay.gif (953KB, 330x300px) Image search: [Google]
IQCj2ay.gif
953KB, 330x300px
You have got to be kidding me /g/
School's always been below my level but this is fucking ridiculous
>Don't worry when you get to Middle-School things will be different anon
>Don't worry when you get to High-School things will be different anon
>Don't worry when you get to College things will be different anon
I just dropped TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS ON A CLASS THAT TEACHES THIS BULLSHIT
http://www.cengagebrain.co.uk/content/9781285296227.pdf

WHAT FUARRKING MOUTHBREATHER IS THIS SHIT TARGETED AT

I'm no fucking genius /g/ but this shit is fucking ridiculous, it's like if I signed up for english 101 and they sit me down in a room with alphabet blocks and a fucking etch-a-sketch

WHAT THE FUCK
>>
File: tip.jpg (27KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
tip.jpg
27KB, 600x750px
>>52319832
>>
>>52319851
Did you look at that PDF?
I'm serious, they teach you what a keyboard is in an introduction to Computer Science class
I just did a vocabulary assignment and they asked me what a FUCKING MOUSE WAS
>>
>>52319832
Maybe you should have researched your school better before applying and dumping $20,000 a semester.

Also that book doesn't seem too bad, it actually explains applications software, embedded software, and gets you ready to learn programming logic which is going to be a drag no matter what school you go to.
>>
>>52319832
Nearly all schools are like this op. First semester or two in whatever core subject is near guaranteed to be bullshit.

Just get the grade and move on.
>>
>>52319973
This
>>
>>52319832
Aren't you able to test out of this crap?
If you can prove to the department that you already know this shit you can test out.
>>
>>52319951
>Maybe you should have researched your school better before applying and dumping $20,000 a semester.
this. alternatively, if you're learning what a keyboard is and this is the best school you could get into, maybe you should've worked harder rather than had a tantrum all through high school.
>>
This is what community college is for. Muh 40$ for as many classes as I can cram in.
>>
Kinda surprised that people are defending this.

I feel for you, OP. Post your school's CS curriculum so we can tell you whether it's salvageable or if you should consider transferring.
>>
>>52320118
nobody is defending it, i'm saying that it's to be expected
>going to college to learn computers
>>
>>52319832
You can test out of those kinds of courses if you bothered to even look into it.
>>
>started uni in computer science
>programming in Racket (Lisp-like) even though we will never use it and will switch to java next semester
>formal informatics (basically math, hard to understand)
>math
The only really useful shit we are doing right now is digital technics
>>
File: typical g user.png (2MB, 506x2983px) Image search: [Google]
typical g user.png
2MB, 506x2983px
>>52319832
>>
OP here
It's not that I COULDN'T get into another school, it's that I couldn't afford to
JJC is a shitty community college about a half hour away from where I live, some of their programs are renowned, this is not one of them
I just happened to stumble into this thread
>>52305757
and enrolled in the course at MIT, I don't actually have to pay untill I complete the thing and it's significantly cheaper
I'll keep plowing through baby's first comp-sci course all the while taking classes through edX and see where all of this goes /g/ may very well have just saved my education
>>
kek i guess no one told you cc is practically high school extended
>>
>>52320241
Well memed newfriend
*tips fedora*
>>
File: I'd like to interject.png (48KB, 823x152px) Image search: [Google]
I'd like to interject.png
48KB, 823x152px
Hand in the Stallman copypasta as an essay.
>>
>>52320370
Nope, nobody did
>>
>>52320391
That would actually be a good idea
>>
>>52319832
Don't worry when you get to The Real World™ things will be different anon
>>
Dude it's fucking community college
>>
>>52320422
I literally cannot afford to go to a university, my only hope is that I can hold a decent GPA here and spring into a scholarship or I'm fucked
I've already taken two semesters of the CCNA through a vocational center and they won't let me finish it at JJC without taking the fucking trash I'm in now
>>
>>52319832
Challenge the class if it's an option.
>>
>>52320454
What do you mean?
If you meant change the class I can't, electrical engineering, comp-sci, computer engineering, networking, security, EVERYTHING has this course as a prerequisite
>>
>>52320518
Test out you moron.
>>
>>52320772
They don't fucking let you jackoff
>>
>>52320788
switch colleges then you imbecile
>>
>>52320807
I can't afford to you dense motherfucker
>>
>>52320822
Talk to your department head about testing out of the class.
>>
>>52320865
see
>>52320788
>>
>>52320882
Have you asked?
>>
>>52320899
Yes, I've been told that I'm required to sit through this one, I can't test out
>>
>>52320909
then shut up
>>
Are you retarded?
Did you not read the program courses?
You really paid money for a program without knowing what youre getting into ?

You deserve to be in the class.
>>
>>52320918
fuck you
>>52320921
I'd seen material from further on in the course, and while it was basic it was NOT the material I'm currently going over
I won't see the material I was shown for another two months at the least
>>
>>52320938
>he fell for the college meme
>>
>>52319832
Finance grad here, my intro to computing final was how to use MS Word in practical and the theory paper was to label the PC components and how an optical drive works.

I learned that shit when I was 7 on my first 486 with Windows 3.11. These fucking faggots are so behind times.

So yeah... university is a fucking scam.
>>
>>52320938
So chill the fuck out, thats how it is.
>>
Even when I was forced to take the prereq courses for the CS track in my community college, I was only forced to take intro to computer logic which was a snorefest involving how to write for loops in visual basic.

I was apparently the only person in the class who had skipped the "recommended" CS 101 and CS 102 classes, which were literally "Welcome to Windows 8" and "How to pass CompTIA A+".

So glad to be out of that shithole.
>>
>>52320955
It's quite frankly bullshit, but it's blended delivery I've already done a weeks worth of homework and the class starts monday
I'm out of free textbook and the one I rented isn't here yet
So I came on /g/ to bitch
>>
>>52321015
This is what happens when Universities are run by normies with no background in education. Even worse the management and professors are ancient relics who have no clue about the industry and still stuck in 1980 mode.

We need institutions run by professionals in their field of work so they can transfer practical knowledge instead of wasting our time with shenanigans just to fill credit hours.
>>
>>52321064
OP here, would agree with this
I've always liked the idea of a technocracy where the actual professionals make decisions about law involving their field, if you came up with a new medical regulation you would be a FUCKING DOCTOR FIRST
>>
>>52319882
>they asked me what a FUCKING MOUSE WAS
That's pretty fuckin' important dipshit.
>>
>>52321253
IT'S A BLENDED COURSE
the homework is ONLINE
How the FUCK am I supposed to turn that shit in if I don't know what a fucking mouse is
I get it you're being cheeky, but this shit defies common sense
>>
>>52319832
fucking street signs
>>
>>52321368
>How the FUCK am I supposed to turn that shit in if I don't know what a fucking mouse is
Well you better learn fast, bitch.
>>
>>52321445
god damn it /g/
ha ha ha ha ha ha
>>
>>52319973
This is probably true desu senpai.

>first year for all engineering majors is "general engineering," exposes freshmen to different fields and all that
>introductory course is basically about doing unit conversions and Microsoft Excel
>given an intro programming course with MATLAB, grad student instructor fellates it for basic features any programming language higher-level than assembly has
>apparently they introduced another course about "evaluating innovation"

Not that it was completely useless, I got a SolidWorks certification out of it, but the first year was full of patronizing bullshit. Of course, if you were in mechanical engineering, shit didn't get started until Statics and Dynamics.
>>
>>52320241
>intellectual intelligence
>>
>>52319882
You told them the mouse is the touch pad didn't you
>>
Um, is this class for old, or people living under a rock?
>>
>>52319832
Higher education is all about the degree and the connections you make. Unless you are going to a top-tier university, the "education" doesn't account for shit.

Just bite the bullet, pay for the courses, make straight A's, and transfer to a better uni.

Good luck anon
>>
>current year
>still paying for shit tier education
It's right for you
>>
File: PEE CEE MACCCCCCCCC.png (88KB, 466x194px) Image search: [Google]
PEE CEE MACCCCCCCCC.png
88KB, 466x194px
Holy shit I'm pissed off.
>>
>>52321445
why would you use a mouse when you have siri anon?
>>
>>52319882
If I was a CS professor I'd want to weed out the people that didn't know that too.
>>
>>52319832

When I was in high school, I took two years of CS courses. I'd already done all the basic algorithms and data structures. I took the AP test. Got a 4/5 on the first one. 5/5 on the second one.

I went to community college to save money. They wouldn't allow me to skip anything, saying that "we don't use Pascal" (ignoring that CS is about structures and algorithms, not languages) but I just needed my LACC credits, so signed up for a C programming course. The teacher was a fucking retard who told the class that "argc" and "argv" (argument count and vector) were just named randomly because sometimes these old Unix guys just did that. Dumbest motherfucker I've ever seen teach a course, and she hated men.

Later, I transferred to a state school. On some kind of orientation day, I met with the head of the CS program and asked if I could be allowed to skip the intro stuff, citing my AP test scores (still zero credit for them). I at least got to skip this babby intro bullshit.

I suggest you go to see whoever is the head of the department and plead your case.
>>
>>52322683
>Um, is this class for old, or people living under a rock?

You have no idea how little regular people understand about computers.

The shocking thing is that so many CS majors come into college with effectively zero computer or programming experience.
>>
>>52322809
>The teacher was a fucking retard who told the class that "argc" and "argv" because unix guys are like that
but that's true you fucking moron
you can name them
main(int NumberOfArgs, char **ArgumentList)
if you wanted to.
>>
>>52322877
His point is that "argc" stands for "argument count", and "argv" stands for "argument vector". Yeah, you can call them anything you want, because the underlying machine doesn't care about names, but I would be very, very worried if your fucking TEACHER doesn't know that the terms "argc" and "argv" each have important meanings, even if you can change them to whatever you want.
>>
>>52322957
people become teachers because they're too incompetent to get into the private sector.

There really is a thing as someone getting too hung-up on the abstract principles of an industry and not actually being able to implement... or "do" the very thing they're teaching.

You see it all the time on /g/ when you see autists playing with their toy functional languages like lisp and haskell.
>>
>>52320241
>can make great software LIKE A GAME OR APP
>>
>>52323007
>people become teachers because they're too incompetent to get into the private sector.

That's what mediocre private sector people tell themselves.

Seriously, after years in industry that quip is an utter joke. I've had great teachers and I've had lousy teachers. I've had one or two great co-workers, and I've had TONS of shitty coworkers.

It's a myth.
>>
What a shit school.
In our first two weeks we learned the fundamentals of logic and c programming.
>>
>>52319832
looks complicated tbqh
>>
>>52319832
I come from a place where they start their classes in the first semester considering you have a lot of background knowledge.Its brutal until you catch up.
>>
>>52319832
>computer degree
They give this shit to you in a CS course?
>>
>>52324024
Yep
Intro to CS or CIS 122 as the shitters call it
>>
>>52320391
this
>>
>>52319973
It's so that they can give credits to normies and pad their gpa so they can graduate.
>>
It's CC OP.
Nobody's first choice. It's your last ditch escape route. And really when you see your classes and you're in there with 40 year old mexicans going "should I stack these alphabet blocks upways or sideways" you'll see why.

Just suck it up.
>>
>>52326180
It was my first choice, this class is required for networking and security courses I plan on taking
>>
>>52319832
Don't underestimate this shit. They WILL ask you about statistics and inane bullshit from the first chapter no sane human would memorize and you WILL fail because of it.
>>
>>52326219
I've already done the first weeks worth of homework and I've arranged with my instructor to take the first test on monday
The class starts on monday
>>
>>52326204
I mean having to go to a CC in general is nobody's first choice.
>>
>>52326253
Anons, follow this guy.

He know's how to college and get shit done.
Meanwhile you other faggots are complaining about it being too easy and then end up getting a C+/B- due to forgetting your 'oh so easy' homework and papers.
>>
>>52319832
Sorry m8, it seems like you went to a shit school. Unless they get rid of this bullshit after the first semester, you're basically doing IT. This is the problem when you're in a country where education is an industry

>>52320233
Whereas your school sounds like a good CS course

Why the fuck do so many American universities think CS is either IT or SoftEng
>>
>>52319832
>I just dropped TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS ON A CLASS THAT TEACHES THIS BULLSHIT

LOL, Americans don't have free university.
>>
>>52327672
OP here, I posted
>>52326253
I'm complaining about it being too easy because, well it is, but I didn't do hardly any homework in highschool and while I got A's and B's on tests I'd get D's on my report cards
Guess I've matured a bit
I've got ADD out the ass but I can manage it if they just hand me my work ahead of time and I can plow through it when the mood strikes me, entitled perhaps but again I'm a week ahead in the class, I'd be further but the textbook I rented isn't here yet and I'm out of pdf
>>
>tfw my entire time at secondary consisted of powerpoint, a single lesson on flash which never led anywhere and an A level that was basically testing my office suite skills.

I think I actually did more at my fucking primary. I went and got some certificates just to try and balance it out, not that they're worth anything.
>>
i didnt even bother with CS because it's shit and doesn't teach anything, you are retarded anon just get certifications and get a job that way.

Why waste time in college for one subject and get forced to do a million other things.

I have a friend in the class and he said everyone is clueless
>>
>>52327737
Lol good luck with your substandard education. You get what you pay for m8
>>
>>52327749

I did the same, then I got to college and picked up myself up by the bootstraps because you can fuck up HS all you want. College stays with you.

If you bothered FAFSA for the money and fucked up the class? Oh lordy, you got more than a few issues there when you want to re-enroll.
>>
File: ENTRY.gif (714KB, 260x143px) Image search: [Google]
ENTRY.gif
714KB, 260x143px
>>52319832
>>52327749

Nigga please your getting all the lessons you need , if you want to get only the hands on teaching experience don't go to university go to a processional Academy (Google ATEC) and become a tecnician if not you will have to go with the flow and take it up the ass like a good yuppie.
>>
OP, here is how you can succeed as a poorfag.

Go to community college for two years and then transfer to a CHEAP state school. Get a government loan and a job. DO AN INTERNSHIP.

Your community college may be garbage but they're just introductory classes so it shouldn't matter. Suck it up and do the classes.
>>
>>52327782
I didn't think with my abysmal grades that anyone would give me financial aide, so I didn't fill out the FAFSA to begin with, will next semester but I'm biting the bullet for this one, and it's bitter as hell
I just wish I didn't have to sit through "Introduction to computers for seniors" before they'll let me finish the certificate I've already got a year of study for
>>
>>52320822
>I can't afford to you dense motherfucker

If you can afford $2000 for one class then you can afford to study in Europe where $2000 is like 67 full semesters (almost 17 years of study) where you can cram in as many classes as you want. And where you often can borrow textbooks from the university library.

Learn german, french or whatever or go to scandinavia where nobody minds having the lectures in english. We often had lectures in english if one or two foreign students attended. And mostly 99% of the books are in english at least if you do anything STEM related.
>>
>>52327762
>German education
>Substandard

lol k. Enjoy your debt.
>>
>>52327826
OP here, is exactly what I'm doing
>>52327831
That's actually not a terrible idea, and I mistyped, I dropped 2k on CLASSES that teach this shit, It's my semester, comes out to $2,146
>>
>>52327830

Just so you know, even if you don't borrow anything, you are supposed to fill out FASFA regardless.
>>
>>52320233
Racket is a shit language that needs to burn
>>
That sounds like an intro to computing class where you learn how to use MS Office. You can usually test out of classes like that.
>>
>>52327892
>tfw I wish my school taught racket instead of a shit language like Java
>>
>>52327869
Did not know that
>>52327905
Required to take this one, though I got to skip the office-parts
>>
>>52327857
>>>52327826 (You)
>OP here, is exactly what I'm doing
Then you'll be fine. You have to fail everything to not succeed.
>That's actually not a terrible idea, and I mistyped, I dropped 2k on CLASSES that teach this shit, It's my semester, comes out to $2,146
Suck it up. All poorfags need to do those garbage classes and it should be an easy A for your transcript.
>>
>>52327924
I am sucking it up, my nose is firmly pressed to a grindstone, I was just bitching on /g/ because it was late at night and I was out of work to do
This thread's almost 12 hours old now I started it early in the morning
>>
>>52327857
>I dropped 2k on CLASSES that teach this shit, It's my semester, comes out to $2,146

That's a horribly priced community college. My university cost that much per quarter before any kind of scholarships and I never did this shit in the CS program. We started immediately with programming and discrete math.
>>
>>52327974
I can't take any programing courses or engineering or drafting, or pretty much fucking anything until I complete CIS 122 chapter one of the textbook of which is in a pdf linked to in the OP

I am stuck, neck deep in that shit, but as I said here
>>52326253
I'm trying to get through it as quickly as possible, I'd be further along but all I've got right now is that pdf
>>
>get into cs
>programming, algorithms and some other bullshit
>start following EE classes because I'm bored
>discrete maths
I think something is off
>>
>>52328030
>takes CS and follows EE classes
Maybe you should have taken CE and saved yourself the trouble
>>
>>52328030
>>programming, algorithms and some other bullshit

What did you think CS was?
>>
>>52328052
>>52328092
The joke is that discrete should be a cs class you autists
>>
>>52323007
>You see it all the time on /g/ when you see autists playing with their toy functional languages like lisp and haskell.

lol
>>
>>52319882
>in computer technician course
>tutor asks if anyone knows what NTFS stands for
>i'm literally the only person who did
welp
>>
>>52328590
That would be the NT file system
as for what NT stands for...
New Technology?
I've got an A+ certification and I have no idea
>>
>>52328590
I don't know what it stands for either.
>>
>>52328608
yes, new technology file system
A+ was the lowest cert this course covered
>>
>>52328614
i didn't really expect everyone to know what NT stood for, but i did expect at least a few other hands
>>
>>52328638
We learned in my A+ course about NTFS, the NT file system, and why it's a piece of shit compared to ext OH GOD THE FRAGMENTS
Never went over what NT stood for though
>>
>>52328608
Correct actually. NT was a marketing buzzword originally but now refers to the kernel, so it doesn't have any real meaning.

>>52319832
My community college is the same way. The CS 101 course is "Introduction to Computer Science" and is a spreadsheets/keyboard class. The CS 1a course is "Fundamentals of C++" and covers elementary programming.
You have to make sure you're signed up for the right course, usually the stupid ones like you're taking don't count towards your degree.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (332KB, 893x633px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
332KB, 893x633px
wow
>>
>>52328673
>Never went over what NT stood for though
it's not really important, and it doesn't even make sense anymore, but have you never been curious?
>>
>>52328679
>it doesn't have any real meaning.
what makes it extra meaningless is that "classic" dos-based windows has long since been deprecated, so it's now the only technology being used
>>
>>52328722
Pretty sure I heard it somewhere which is how I guessed it, wasn't important enough to really focus on
>>
That's college you dipshit. They start at the absolute beginning. In week 3 you'll talk differently
>>
File: Laff.jpg (30KB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
Laff.jpg
30KB, 250x233px
>http://www.cengagebrain.co.uk/content/9781285296227.pdf

>mfw
>>
File: 1451163742079.png (721KB, 963x932px) Image search: [Google]
1451163742079.png
721KB, 963x932px
>>52322773
>in 30 years kids won't know what a mouse/keyboard is
>>
File: 1450254489982.jpg (442KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1450254489982.jpg
442KB, 3000x2000px
>>52319832
little weeb trash with his sub-80 iq feels so superior.
comedy gold
>>
File: fedorafrog.png (56KB, 231x231px) Image search: [Google]
fedorafrog.png
56KB, 231x231px
>>52319832
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.