[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you owned a software or video game company, and people pirated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 12

File: 2000px-The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png (782KB, 2000x2265px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png
782KB, 2000x2265px
If you owned a software or video game company, and people pirated your work (and you lost some potential profit), how would you feel?

I'm a pirate, but I'm curious of what /g/ would feel, being the victim of copyright infringement.
>>
>>52318605
I'd just be ashamed for creating a product that was either

A- not good enough to pay for
B- extortionately priced
>>
>>52318605
The pros sit below the cons, but overall it can help growth.
>>
> selling a bunch of hex codes

lol good one, op
>>
>>52318605
I would be smirking internally for the free word of mouth advertisement, because if something is cracked nowadays it's because the developers let it to be so.
For the software that shouldn't be cracked at all companies use SaaS and always online DRM.
>>
>>52318605
>if you owned a software or video game company
But i'd never own a video game company. Software maybe

>and people pirated your work
But if i owned a software company i'd make everything Open Source.
>>
>>52318605
idgaf because my stuff would be free
>>
>>52318737
>I'm not like the other developers ;) ;) ;)
>>
>>52318697
What if your product was good enough to pay for and reasonably priced?
>>
>>52318756
Let 'em at it. I wouldn't care, really.
>>
>>52318605
i would just be happy to get any money at all by selling something that has no intrinsic value and can be instantly copied and reproduced infinite times :^)
>>
>>52318605

I made a chess program recently and some guy from a major consulting company is using it as part of his review of the library

Personally I like the idea of people using my work more than making money.

If my entire motivation was money I might feel differently I guess.
>>
>>52318737
>>52318750
But what if running your company was your main job? How would you afford a living if so many people copied your work without paying you that you lost major profit?
>>
>>52318767
Easy to say from your position. Not so easy if you worked hard to make your product and were struggling to put food on the table, only to find out you would be making a nice income if no one pirated your product.
>>
>>52318817
i wouldn't do it for a job though, if i turned the things i liked into work, i wouldn't like them anymore
>>
This is a discussion for /pol/.

In any case, piracy is likely to create more buzz.

Sure there are people who pirate everything, things like steam show that putting in a good service and delivery platform, itll curb piracy and people will pay.

I treat pirating things as a demo - to see if im gonna get cucked before i put my hard earned money out there.
>>
>>52318605
I had my shit pirated before I didn't even care, I even gave the self-cracked exe to friends.

You're not losing any money if the people who pirate the game aren't going to buy one way or the other.

When you buy things, you buy them out of your heart, it's the same reason why people buy games (especially old ones) from Steam that can be pirated piss easily.
>>
>>52318605
if you were the victim of toxic waste disposal and pollution of your home area, how would you feel?
does this then also mean we stop the current industrial lifestyle?
>>
>justifying piracy

I thought 4chan was 18+ only?

piracy is plain wrong, but too convenient.
>>
>>52318605
Aside from Adobe and Windows what software do people really pirate?
>>
>>52318728
that has nothing to do with cracked, it's just when you're a community platform you're not that reliant on copyright. SaaS wont work for a home use video editing software for instance, you can always download the newest version.
>>
Frankly, I wouldn't care. Let them do what they want.
>>
>>52318941
Do you realize where you are newfag? leave
>>
>>52318842
that's why your software is hobbyist trash, but that's ok, you're having fun and that counts
>>
>>52318772
so can the software also be created automatically by starting a generator and writing some code?
>>
>>52318822
Lol Struggling to put food on the table. Always chuckle at this. Where do you live africa?
>>
>>52318790
>If my entire motivation was money I might feel differently I guess.

who pays your rent?
>>
>>52318874
it's a shame game studios don't make demos anymore. why do you still buy the thing if you already own it though? do you think your isolated forced purchase will somehow change if the game makes good numbers?
>>
>>52318996
>SaaS wont work for a home use video editing software for instance
Yes it can, you move some of the critical code to remote servers easily. If it doesn't exist today it's just because software companies need to addict people to those programs so they can license the shit out of them to other companies because said people know how to use them. Nobody cares about "home user" market that doesn't make shit money, where free software alternatives exist anyway. FOSS and SaaS made piracy obsolete for software market, it's a problem of last decade.
>>
>>52318737
you can sell opensource software under the Gpl

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html
>>
>>52318905
>When you buy things, you buy them out of your heart,

this is part of the problem. products shouldn't only be paid for when people feel emotional about them
>>
File: 1384062183004.jpg (115KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1384062183004.jpg
115KB, 533x800px
>>52318941
>>
>>52319099
Whats next?
Needing to be on the internet everytime you unlock your computer?
Your rationale is highly flawed.
>>
meh everything is already oversaturated with shitty content. I can barely find anything worth pirating these days. I create both music and videos and generally want my stuff to be seen and heard. IMO this for profit bullshit that youtube started only caused the creation of some of the worst and mundane entertainment this century.

I'm kind of glad creators are starting to pull their stuff back to the offline because they realise that the only ones who really profit are jewgle and its equivalence.
>>
>>52319099
>Yes it can, you move some of the critical code to remote servers easily.

so the software is now totally dependent on internet connectivity and generally a botnet.
that sucks.
>>
Its fine, the normies are still going to pay for it, people are going to talk about and promote it. And lose like 200k in sales revenue? Idgaf I will make another game that's even better.
>>
>>52319001
I don't think you will stick to this believe when your company is about to go bankrupt.
>>
>>52318605
My program would be free so no one would need to download it illegally.
>>
>>52318941
go away you degenerate
>>
>>52319135
What does it have anything to do with rationale, it's current status of the market. If something can be cracked it is because developers don't give a shit if it is cracked. Eg if a game company is anal about their games getting cracked they would slap an always online DRM like Diablo 3 or only release it on consoles, other companies like cd project red doesn't gave a crap to the extend that they don't put any copy protection and released it on GoG.
>>
>>52318605
For software it depends on who the target consumer is.
As an example, Autodesk gives students free versions and adobe has heavy discounts to students.
Because the more people that is used to their software(familiar with the workflow, UI, etc), the more people will use their software.
So in that case piracy does little to no harm because it's basically free publicity/training.

Vidya's a whole different thing. The industry's riddled with overpriced pieces of shit, and companies are going so low as to try to sell you unfinished products ("early access").
If your game is actually good and reasonably priced people will buy it.
>>
>>52319144
FOSS exists
>>
>>52319162
>bankrupt.
PFFT HAHAHAHAHAHA no
>>
>>52318605
>potential profit from people who can't even buy the game
I wouldn't use any DRM unless I had to.

You make money when the public loves you. See Minecraft as an example.
>>
File: big money.gif (410KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
big money.gif
410KB, 500x281px
>>52319011
>tfw having fun in a community by doing what i love without the need of selling out
>>
>>52318822
>struggling to put food on the table, only to find out you would be making a nice income if no one pirated your product
oy vey
bad attempt at straw man mr. trollo :^)

Your product needs to be successful and of value if you want to see people pirate it.
>>
>>52319250
this. No company has ever gone bankrupt from losing profits to piracy. The ones complaining about piracy were always the ones making the most money in the first place. Copyright holders , Google , Metallica , Hollywood , etc.
>>
>>52319112
It's not a physical product, it's a copy. I'll pay if I think that it is worth it, thank you.
Are you going to tell me that I need to buy it separately for every computer in my home, too?
>>
>>52319312
>The ones complaining about piracy were always the ones making the most money in the first place.

you don't really hear from small companies, they have no money/influence to appear in the press
>>
>>52319215
>you move some of the critical code to remote servers easily. If
So i have to RELY on YOUR servers to be UP when I want to use a media player? and if you have outages,or get ddos'd?
Now i cant maigcally use my no-need-for-internet-access-application because of your dumbfuckery.
>>
>>52318941
>>>/r/justSJWthings
>>
>>52319341
What are indie game developpers and why are non of them crying about how they're not making enough money because muh pirates ?
>>
>>52319361
>What are indie game developpers and why are non of them crying about how they're not making enough money because muh pirates ?

they need sympathy from people and be special, that's why.
>>
>>52319341
Small companies don't have enough exposure/quality to be pirated in the first place, dipshit.
>>
>>52319375
They aren't jews seeking non-existant profits, that's why.
>>
>>52319392
>non-existant profits

well those kind of profits have existed in the past, and they seem to exist when there is no way around other than buying.
so it's as non-existant as a better version of a software, today.
>>
>>52319375
Still , if anyone would be losing money to pirates it would be independent and small studios. They dont. Piracy helps indies more than large companies because they need reach more than they need money.
>>
>>52319352
Yes? You either accept it and license the product or don't. Always online is a reality now.
>>
>>52319435
Until you get ddos'd.
Or say i want to do my taxes offline/in not in my house

Look at how many times sony and microsoft dropped the ball on launch day and your SINGLE PLAYER game cant be played becayse lol servers arent up.

Fuck you
>>
>>52319420
If you don't make money out of a sequence of 1s and 0s that you didn't buy, it's ok not to pay for it.

Usually the owners of the shittiest products are the ones that beach most.
It's funny how Metallica became famous BECAUSE of pirating while they were still underground.

No such thing as profits lost to piracy.
>>
>>52318842
>what is a hypothetical question?
>>
>>52319421
>Piracy helps indies more than large companies because they need reach more than they need money.
exactly. they need to be doing something else, the internet is a good chance here for small groups since distribution is at no cost, also people will much more likely feel like they have to help out.
The indie developers are very welcome to do this. Nobody HAS to make software with a price tag. on the other hand, when you're well known, selling is often more beneficial because the additional appearance on shady sites no longer counters the losses.
>>
>>52318605
Honestly? It's a great platform for you to market your apps/games/music/video. Some people will never spend a dime on anything other than hardware, but a lot of others will become fans or future customers. Piracy does hurt a little, but the "free advertising" aspect is excellent.
>>
>>52318944
Mostly games I believe, though nobody on /g/ will admit to that
>>
>>52319473
HAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
BAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Metalicca was already famous from the 80's faggot.
They're 4 largest albums were released way before napster
>>
>>52319531
The piracy started way before napster faggot.

It was done on fucking tapes you little bastard child. Read up on how they became famous.
>>
>>52319531
>it's only piracy if it's on the internet
underage faggot detected
>>
>>52319473
> that you didn't buy
I get the private perspective of your post but in business, paying wages or having expenses from buying things make no difference, they're both expenses.
>>
>>52319470
>ddos
A profesional development company can easily hire a professional anti-DDoS service like cloudflare and they do. There are so many SaaS companies around now, I haven't seen ANY of them returning to conventional software just because they are DDoSsed. They want total platform control and they minor temporary DDoS issues like them are no problem and they keep getting new users.

>times sony and microsoft dropped the ball on launch day
I haven't seen anybody stopped using consoles because of those issues though.
>>
>>52319563
Don't try to justify the jews. Piracy is doing less harm than good.
>>
>>52319531
>piracy started with napster

do you know what are floppy disks ?
>>
>>52319545
>>52319557
Yeah a few thousand tapes,vs millions on napster.
Not really any comparison
>>
>>52319584
>microsoft,valve,sony,activision
>>
>>52319614
ok?
>>
>>52319604
>piracy made them everything they are and have, but it's ok to sue the pirates
You must be that guy's wife's son.

>>52319598
I bet he doesn't know why the "Phone" icon on his smartphone is shaped that way, anon.
>>
>>52318605
>(and you lost some potential profit
literally retarded

i'm going to sue the lottery because of "lost of potential profit" when i don't win the powerball tomorrow
>>
I would just be ecstatic that someone presumably wants to use something I made.
>>
>>52319644
Forced meme buddy
>>
>>52319598
don't copy that floppy!
>>
>>52319655
>i'm going to sue the lottery because of "lost of potential profit" when i don't win the powerball tomorrow
I hope you're a jew, otherwise you won't get anything.
>>
>>52319655

what do you have to show for that claim?
good luck.
>>
>>52319668
This should be Israel's anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI
>>
File: Balloons.png (521KB, 633x475px) Image search: [Google]
Balloons.png
521KB, 633x475px
People who pirate it were not going to buy it in the first place, so hos the is it lost revenue?
>>
>>52319470
> Do my taxes offline

You mail a request for a form 1040 to the IRS (along with 1099 if you have investments), fill it out, and mail it back.

You are literally retarded if you think you need TurboTax et al to file a return, and you are triple retarded if you pay a dime to do it when you don't own a business. If you do own a business you should have a legit accountant.
>>
>>52319687
intersections differ from one type of media to another, in case of music it's already become a large intersection since digital music became so easy and available
>>
>>52318605
I wouldn't be pissed. Pirates are not actual customers. It's not like they would have even tried your game/software if piracy didn't exist. Pirates just try everything, and if they end up liking it for reals, they end up buying it anyway.
>>
>>52319685
i really hate how the liberal media is shoving this multicultural race mixing bullshit lately
>>
>>52319668
>tfw installing windows 95 using 21 floppy disks your buddy copied you
>>
>>52319845
the democrats were pro slavery in the 1800s, what the fuck happend
>>
File: gorillas.jpg (19KB, 359x239px) Image search: [Google]
gorillas.jpg
19KB, 359x239px
>>52319845
>gorilla
>scientist
And it really did happen.
>>
>>52319888
>only the blacks were slaves meme
>>
>>52318605

I wouldn't care because I'd already have collected all the kickstarter money to start my video game, released a broken early access alpha and ran off with the money while calling gamers entitled or something. They can pirate that shit for all I care lmao
>>
File: PAPYRUS.png (3KB, 206x236px) Image search: [Google]
PAPYRUS.png
3KB, 206x236px
>>52318605
I WOULD FEEL SO
POPULAR!
POPULAR!
POPULAR!
>>
>>52318605
No such thing as lost potential profits. People who pirate games never intend to buy them, unless they start playing it and realize they love it. Can't lose money you were never going to make.
>>
>>52318605
I'm one of the people who actually does the programming at my company and couldn't care less if people pirate it. I, and most others, do not receive more money if it ships more units. In general, good software sells, so piracy's not a problem for us (the workers). Occasionally there will be a release that flops despite being quality work, but that can happen with any product.
>>
>>52320640
>>>/tumblr/ or >>>/v/
>>
>>52318817
Lawsuits about piracy and copyright come from giant jews companies. They just want to get even more profit.
>>
>>52318605
I'd look into what people were saying about it and what their criticisms were. If they generally loved my product, didn't have issues, etc, I'd accept that people can be dicks sometimes.

If I saw a bunch of talk about "x doesn't work, try before you buy" or "this feature/lack thereof breaks functionality," I'd try to fix it.

In a future release I'd introduce an online component
>>
File: 1342943253265.jpg (58KB, 256x320px) Image search: [Google]
1342943253265.jpg
58KB, 256x320px
I would feel that my game wasn't wasn't worth buying and put more effort into making a better one next time.
The passion for making good games are gone, most games nowadays are day one DLC cash grabs.
>>
>>52318605
I write automation software. Most of it is done in powershell. Some of it requires very specific tuning to work correctly.

Now, I've sued clients for NDA violations, or claiming that it's their original work, but as far as pirating the software goes, well, it's powershell. If I cared more, I'd compile the powershell or write it in C.
>>
I'd be fine with it so long as the people that pirated spread the word about the thing they pirated. If they liked it, they should tell people to get it.
If they tell 5 people, and 2 people end up buying it, profit. And then 3 people pirate it and tell 5 more people...
>>
>>52321479
Why not something portable like python/ruby instead of that powershell crap with huge command lists everywhere?
>>
>>52318905
You are losing money, because if they really wanted to play the game, then they should purchase it.
>>
>>52318944
Vmware Workstation, which is crazy expensive.
>>
>>52321491
yes, things like that exist, they usually require facebook likes.
>>
>>52318605
Im working on a game right now and I really dont care if people pirate it.
It just means they didn't have enough money to pay for it which is fine by me.
If anyone was to throws me a bone for the hours I spend to make something ok,if not I cant do anything about it.
>>
>>52318941
welcome to 4chan newfriend
>>
If they like it I hope they tell their friends to buy it.
>>
you can't go into commercial software or media without expecting it to happen these days. you either plan for it (by making something that's hard to pirate, like SaaS, or if you make games, developing for console where piracy isn't as rampant) or just accept it.
>>
>>52318605
I'd be okay with it and see it as another kind of advertizing
>>
>>52318605
>implying my software wouldn't be licensed under GPL 2.0
>>
>>52318605
If I did good pirating people will recommend it to other people who may not pirate it. Same thing with films. In countries where piratebay and streamingsides got blocked for the technically illiterate both cinema profit and movie sales went down big time
>>
>>52318944
I have friends who work for the US government. They use software that is fantastically expensive, and some of the way that they handle its use probably would qualiy as piracy.
>>
I'd probably upload my own game/program so I can help users who show up at my forum or email me problems, even if they're a pirate.
I really don't care about poor people pirating my shit. And I'd try my best to turn potential customers into customers by sucking dick at every turn.
>>
If I owned either I'd adhere to FOSS ethics and not turn it into a VC commercial enterprise. Creative commons on all of my product and all 100% free.
>>
Depends on my own financial standing. I'd probably feel a little frustrated if I wasn't comfortably set for life despite owning a company. It would be hypocritical because I do pirate everything I can but what can you do.
>>
piracy is a proof of worthiness, if your game is on kickass torrents then it is a good game
>>
>>52323794
Hast thou a refference?
>>
>>52318605
I probably wouldn't mind.
But then again I would be doing it mostly out of passion and wouldn't be a massive butthurt faggot.
Adoption in any form is always a good thing.
>>
>>52318605
i wouldnt care because its a part of the industry at this point. you have to assume people are going to find ways to get free copies but there are enough people willing to buy it and enough technically illiterate people too dumb to buy it. these are just constants. let the pirates pirate and let the dummies pay.
>>
>>52319011
>Getting a paycheck makes your software not trash
Tell that to Windows 10 users faggot.
>>
>>52318605
If it wasn't for piracy my country would still be in the dark ages. And it kinda still is in many aspects. If you live in a third world country you pretty much don't have a choice. Only 1% of people here buy software, games, etc. Small businesses and governments are obligated to have a legal copy of Windows if they need to use Windows in the first place.
>>
>>52321398
>/v/ PFFFF HAHAHAHA
as if anyone wants that faggot on 4chan at all
>>
I don't care about piracy, if anything it will allow more people to play my game even if i lose profit.

Hopefully some pirates buy the game if they love it and want offical support along with telling their friends, but if they don't oh well.
>>
>>52324130
What country do you live in?
>>
>>52324292
I live in a small third world country in the Eastern Europe.
>>
>>52324325
Ah, ok.
Yeah, as a developer I wouldn't even give a second thought to pirates from that part of the world. Its just how it is. Wouldn't want to block access to something people need/want just because they can't afford it. Especially if it doesn't really hurt me at all.
>>
>>52318605
>being a proprietary software developer
you disgust me
>>
>>52318605
>I'm a pirate
Ayyyyyyyyy
>>
>>52318605
i'd probably put it on tpb/kat myself. people are gonna crack and pirate it either way.
>>
>>52324366
>open source software can't be sold
what
>>
To copy, pretty much anything, is the most natural act of any human being. Instead of chasing and hunting down the culprits, I'd let it happen. If it's good enough, people will pay. Imho, bandcamp-approach is a good example, there are time to time possibility to acquire music even for free but I personally like to pay at least little bit if the music is worth the it. Same applies to everything else, if the product, be it software, game, whatnot, is good enough, people will pay for it.

To deny the right to copy, is a crime against humanity and humankind.
>>
>>52318922
____
rated
>>
>>52319111
What's the point of selling something that the user can compile by himself at any time?
>>
How entitled can programmers be? You can't force me to pay you just because I want to arrange certain bytes on my own hard drive in a specific manner. Your work has no value.
>>
I pirate it. If it's good I'll buy it
>>
>>52318605
If someone pirated my music, initially I'd be psyched that tons of people liked and listen to my music. And were interested enough to actually "steal" it. After a certain amount of time it'd probably be annoying knowing I'm losing out tons of money but eh that's just how it goes.

>tfw my shitposting post-ironic memerap music was already uploaded by some anons from /g/
>>
>>52318605
You are doing God's work.
"Oh no Beyonce,Miley Cyrus and Holywood will get 800 gorillion dollars instead of 850 gorillions , oh such tragedy"
>>
>>52324509
>literally paying for 10111010100101
ayy
>>
An artist, regardless of what kind, it can be a musician, poet, story teller, journalist, game desiger, anything should care about what they want to do and how much money they expect to get from that.
The idea that we should restrict content because you might loose money is ridicules.
I know making free content online is risky, but if that is your entire strategy, then you can't expect to make a lot of money.
If you find a way to convince your audience that they should pay, great. If you have to convince a few set of sponsors to make a living, then do that.

Loosing potential profit is a weird concept.
If I worked at a company, I would expect to get payed the same as the other people doing the same job.

But when you make your own company, you cannot expect this.

So if I get payed the amount I need to make a living, I guess I wouldn't care if people beyond my targeted demographic wanted my thing.

Piracy has always been a distribution problem.
You are not reaching the people you could.
>>
This is similar to the question of whether we should block ads because that hurts website providers and advertisers.

If you want to make it in this day of age, you have to adjust your business strategies and find better ways of making people want to pay.

Take music piracy, for example. It's wayy too easy to simply download something rather than pay for it. I'm not saying we've solved this issue, but services like Pandora and Spotify are offering something that we previously did not have. They're adjusting to the market and that's what a lot of other companies are doing too, I'm sure. Sink or swim
>>
>>52322266
They should, but they wouldn't have. They'd just play something else instead.
>>
>>52318944
Autodesk stuff, CAD, movie editors (Vegas etc), Visual Studio (because why use a limited free version when you can pirate the enterprise one), Office (same reasons as VS), antivirus software, lots of things really.
And games, of course.
>>
>>52318697
This but even if it was good and priced fairly there would still be someone pirating it, nothing you can do about it
>>
>>52318605
My chill runs would die in the street because of exposure and hunger, and it would be YOUR fault.
>>
>>52318605
I wouldn't care. I really would not care. I just cannot see a pirated copy equating a lost sale, I've thought about it a lot and maybe I'm just too autistic but it makes no sense to me at all.

If I cared that much about money I'd be in finance.
>>
>>52318605
For me piracy is a given. People will always find a way. And if they're pirating they are not worthy customers to begin with. And they're basically a free advertisement. I'd rather make as many able people to buy my product with the least effort, or provide paid services. RHEL/CENT OS model works fine.
>>
>>52318605
>and you lost some potential profit
No. People who pirate games do it because:
>They were never going to buy them in the first place;
>To try them out;
>It's free.

In short, MY game would offer online features not available to pirates in order to persuade them to buy it, if they like the gameplay. As for the software, I would provide support to paying customers, as well as paid-for feature requests (which would be included in the source code repository, available to everyone).

If anything, the pirating would generate free press and more pirates, as well as more paying customers.
>>
>>52325932
>I just cannot see a pirated copy equating a lost sale
Not one to one, of course, but an x number of pirated copies equates to y/x loss in sales.
>>
>>52326084
>x people bought thing, y people pirated it
now removing all pirates
>x people bought thing
If pirates are pirating not because they have no money but because it's easier your marketing strategy is wrong.
>>
>>52318605
For Star Wars I paid to go see it because spoilers would be everywhere if I didn't see it day 1. So fear is pretty much the only way I pay for things these days.
>>
>>52318605
I would be ok with it. Someone pirating doesn't mean I lose a sale, they wouldn't bother buying it in the first place. It's free press for me, it will eventually attract buyers and I know that there are some people like myself that buy it even after pirating it.
>>
I wouldn't mind as long as I made back the money I put into it, and I hope that you'd enjoy it just as much as anyone else. [spoiler]As a pirate myself I don't really have a right to turn around and complain[/spoiler]
>>
>>52318605

I would be more pissed if somebody took my work and slapped their name on it. People hosting it on the bay? No craps given.

Tbh, I'd get off of people enjoying from my work rather than me earning from it.
>>
I'd be kinda glad they pirate it; especially if there are a lot of downloads.
which means:
>people like it a lot
>they'll make it even more famous, which equates to more possible future buyers

but I doubt it will go so well in reality

<15% will be paid; and the rest will be pirates.
>>
>>52318697
I take it you never have produced a thing.
>>
File: I'mTHEBESTTHEBESTTHEBEST.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
I'mTHEBESTTHEBESTTHEBEST.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>52318605
I'd be happy and anoyed because my solution was unique enough to have many users that don't want to pay for my shit.

I'd actually give out incentives to people who used the crack and would sell the license of the program cheaper to them so they don't have to keep trusting on unsavory cracks that might damage their systems.
>>
File: 1447817885591.jpg (28KB, 354x313px) Image search: [Google]
1447817885591.jpg
28KB, 354x313px
>ITT: /g/ deep-throates the bait
This is disappointing, tbqh.
>>
>>52326709
>tbqh
You're disappointing desu.
>>
>>52324611
The GPL license does not obligate anyone to distribute software for free, so you could distribute to only the people who paid.
You could say "yeah but then people who paid for it will upload it somewhere else", isn't that the current case with proprietary software anyway?

And in any case, it doesn't apply to every case. Businesses will pay to get custom solutions made, regardless of them being free software, they don't need to distribute them either.
>>
>>52318605
If you are good at convincing me the game is good to be played then sure as hell you might be good at convincing me to buy it, if not fuck it
>>
>tfw it's almost 10 years since tpb got raided by police
>>
You have to accept it's going to happen, slapping on some DRM is only going to piss off your customer base, use a serial or something at worst.

I've written a few programs here and there I offer freely and I'm just happy people find them useful, not sure how I'd feel if i were trying to sell them but I'm well aware I can do precisely dick about my shit being shared and won't stress over it too much.
My ability to secure my software is probably grossly inadequate anyway, I don't make a habit of it.
>>
I don't really count in this discussion since I only pirate shit that I eventually purchase later.
>>
>>52318605
>potential
i wouldn't care

also
>maybe i would profit if they stopped torrenting
kek
>>
My work has been pirated before (software). It has been cracked and shared.

Didn't feel anything, to be honest... those who would have bought it, did so... those who pirated it never had the intention of purchasing it in the first place.
>>
>>52318728
>and always online DRM.
Easy to crack anyway and only makes games worse. People often crack BECAUSE of always online DRM so they can have functioning software.
>>
File: icon175x175.png (29KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
icon175x175.png
29KB, 175x175px
>>52318605
>I'm a pirate
Post your ship

.. or did you mean, "I regularly infringe on copyright"?
>>
>>52322282
and the newer versions completely suck like all type-2 hypervisors
>>
tfw i'm a musician and barely make any money from sales yet rake in 45k a month after taxes so i couldn't care less
>>
I think most sensible people do a try-before-you-buy approach with piracy. I also think that if they aren't going to buy it anyway, they were probably just going to get along without it. I'm not against piracy if you already bought a copy, you were going to share it with your friends anyway (unless your some spaghetti spewing neckbeard NEET who has no friends to speak of), so I think if you bought it, you should have reasonable freedom in it's use if I don't explicity give you so in my licensing, if only because I think a lot of EULA and whatnot violations are completely unenforceable.

Not like any of this discussion matters, since most freetards haven't paid for software (gaymes notwithstanding) in years.
>>
>>52318605
Elay Smiths website got hacked there is a siterip containing all her videos and a seperate file containing all her dirty whore pics

if anyone is interested.
>>
>>52318605
I'm a musician and part of a relatively small, independent label and I'm actually happy when people pirate it. I'd much rather have someone listening to my music in general even if they didn't pay for it.

I'm not sure if I'd say the same about software/games since they take more work/have larger teams behind it.

Even at shows sometimes I'll have the merch table hand our CDs out for free or just give them out with a T-Shirt or something, which we only charge 7 bucks for usually.
>>
As someone who's work is pirated, I'm sad, yet I accept it.
About half my userbase are pirates. People who go on forms and say things like "Wow, really love your game, but I've noticed this little bug in some areas where".
Not even a bug, a (non game breaking) graphical quirk I slipped into the pirated copies so I could see how many people pirated.
One fucking dollar on steam. One Fucking Dollar.
I'm fine with piracy, but I can't fucking stand people like >>52318697
There are people who will pirate regardless. It's not about convenience, it's not about sending a message, it's about saving money and nothing more.
Fuck them to death.
>>
>>52330008
>1$ game on steam
a.k.a. how to tell that a game isn't worth shit
>>
>>52327622
Easy to crack when developers want to use piracy for marketing. Come back when Diablo 3 is cracked.
>>
>>52330008
Damn, thats pretty smart, but i did notice this cleverness in a previous game where the pirated copy ran with frame skips.
>>
>>52330133
It didn't sell at $10
It didn't sell at $5
It didn't sell at $3
It didn't sell at $2
And it's hardly selling at $1
Meanwhile I get new people pirating it and playing it all the way through many times a day, tweeting at me, telling me it's great and that I should be charging more for it.
The fucking nerve of these assholes.
>>52330179
Now that's just being mean.
>>
I pirate because it's convenient, nothing more.
I've pirated great games, I've pirated shit games, and I've bought great games and bought shit games on accident.
I'm not against paying for a game, I don't have some moral or logical procedure where I pirate or buy, I just do what's easier for me. The only exception is if I really like the company or really hate it.
If I like the company I'll buy, if I hate the company I generally won't play the game at all, but if I do it's a guaranteed pirate.

You can't stop people from pirating and piracy hardly equals a lost sale. I've never pirated anything I would have paid for if piracy wasn't possible.
>>
>>52330008
To be honest I'm surprised somebody would even take the time to crack a one dollar game.
>>
>>52330262
Maybe it's time to admit that the game doesn't look very good then
>>
>>52330262
What game is it? out of smypathy, I'll buy it
>>
>>52330262
>Now that's just being mean.
Actually, strike that.
Here's a thought
If they play through to the end and don't buy it in a steam sale within a year, install cryptolocker on their machine, with a broken decryption URL and a bitcoin address pointing to a deleted wallet.
Fuck them.
>>
>>52318605
>If you owned a software or video game company, and people pirated your work (and you lost some potential profit), how would you feel?
I wouldn't feel any way, I'm adult enough to realize that people that don't want to pay for my products wouldn't pay for it anyway.
>>
File: 1429597436546.png (256KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1429597436546.png
256KB, 500x364px
Speaking of piracy.
I want some video capture software. I have the free version of fraps but it's shit.
I'm not doing anything serious with it, just making short clips of games I play for fun. So I'm definitely not going to buy something I'll use to post on Mongolian beef making forums, but fraps is really shitty.
I'd also like a good webm converter, and I just don't know what a good one of those is. I have the 4chan webm maker but I can't figure out how to get the bitrate above 1000 and it makes everything look terribad.
Anybody got any suggestions?

>>52330262
[spoiler]Wuts the gaem[/spoiler][spoiler]I'd give you a pity buy for that much honestly[/spoiler]
>>
How would you feel if people downloaded your Crack and not seed the fucking torrent?

As a releaser/cracker, I can sometimes relate to devs :^)
>>
>>52318605
this has happened before, don't really care as the software went free about a year after release, was charging $9.99 per license and 4.99 for students/other such circumstances, now I only charge for a could based version of said software (work from anywhere, on any underpowered pc).

It's open source though so anyone could potentially host their own version heck they could give it away for free for all I care. (not posting cause dox are linked)
>>
>>52330273
Nigga read.
>>52330280
Why the fuck would so many pirates tell me it was fantastic then?
Someone sees a game that looks nice, they don't buy it, they don't add it to their wishlist for when a sale comes around, they go directly to kat and pirate it.
Then they fucking play it for 10 hours and have the gaul to tell me how good it was.
>>52330296
>>52330346
Nyet. This isn't for the money, I have more than enough. I'm more shitted for the games that really do fucking deserve it.
Putting up a baited copy on crack sites was a nice little test.
I can't imagine how android devs feel.
>>
>>52330346
NCH VideoPad is $50 pc download thru amazon its good enough
>>
>>52330405
>Why the fuck would so many pirates tell me it was fantastic then?
Because that's what underage freetards do, fellate and yes-men their shitty products to each other. Your game is probably so cheaply made it got confused for a free one. You don't believe that there's an adult audience for indie games, do you?
>>
File: 1425493894396.gif (1023KB, 396x361px) Image search: [Google]
1425493894396.gif
1023KB, 396x361px
>>52330413
Price is no issue for me, since I don't plan to pay for it, so I don't want good enough, I want the best.
>>
>>52330405
It's a simple concept, I think. When you pay for a game there's a level of expectation to be met. When it's free, you go in with already low expectations and there's a higher chance of enjoyment. A lot of people, teens and third-worlders I'd say, only do free because there's shitloads of free games. A significant portion actually just collect free stuff with little intention of ever playing it.
>>
>>52318605
Piracy has been around for many, many years, and we still have an industry. It's not easy, but people do pay for things that are worth it if you make it convenient for them to do so. Scene groups said that for many years. They're not just empty words.

That is simply how it is. Even where made into a tangible form, all those years of work amount to nothing more than that less-shiny stripe on a CD: a few centimetres on a coaster. Accept the intangibility of digital creation.

Marvel at the greatest creation of humankind being able to take just one copy of something and multiply it to enough copies for the entire world. Do it with loaves and fish and they'd call it a miracle; do it with words, pictures, music or video and they'd call you a pirate. Don't pretend for one moment that if it were true and done today, the Guild of Bakers & Fishermen wouldn't try to sue the fuck out of Jesus Christ for disrupting their business by feeding the five thousand. And now, what: five million, instead of five thousand, can enjoy your creations?

We've created a miracle: it's out of control, terrible and wonderful. Embrace it. Improve on it. Exploit it. Enjoy it. You really have no choice, because you won't destroy it.
>>
>>52330542
Well fuck me then, better put 10x the effort into the next thing I make.
And fuck it, I'll put it on steam as free to play.
See how many fucking people pirate the god dam thing then.
>>
>>52330674
Effort doesnt matter that much bud.
This industry is based around luck(what teenagers are up to play) and is always hit or miss.
>>
>>52319057
Your mom, last night.
>>
I've heard the argument that piracy isn't stealing, which I don't disagree with, but if someone pirated a work he or she would have bought if piracy didn't exist because of unwillingness to pay, would that be considered stealing a sale from the creator of the work? Or does that not fit the technical definition of stealing?
>>
>>52330168
Diablo 3 had an emulator in the works which could barely run single player mode. Blizzard sent a C&D and nobody touched it ever since. The only reason it didn't get cracked is because people are afraid to continue.
>>
>>52319093
Demos shows a direct relation with lower sales (because most AAA games are literal shit)
>>
>>52318605
>and lost potential profit

that's not how it works m8
>>
I would feel that I had to adapt to the times and modify my business model so that I can keep making profits.
>>
I pirate shit all the time, I get mad when companies try to get me to not pirate there shit. I don't fucking care, if I can get it for free, then I'm gonna get it for free.

If I owned a company, I'll get mad when people try to pirate my shit. I don't fucking care, I put in the work for it, so I deserve to get paid for it.

I want free shit, and I want to get paid for my shit. Get fucked.
>>
all software should be free and video game devs are more insidious then you think. seems crazy to pay a substantial amount of money to be stuck in a skinners box for 100s of hours.
>>
>>52318605
Honored and worried.
Honored that people actually want my shit.

Worried that I may have priced my product too steeply.
>>
>>52330405
What game is it? I'll buy it rn
>>
>>52334445
Underrated
>>
>>52318605
i've written a lot of software, this was back in the late 90s, early 2000s; honestly the first time someone cracked one of my programs i was giddy, i thought it was so cool that someone wanted it bad enough to bother to crack it ~ shoutout to saltine from phrozen crew (iirc, might have been thatdude or someone else) ~ RIP old days with interesting software and cracks
>>
>>52318605

I would probably invest in better DRM.
>>
>>52330346
OBS motherfucker.
Thread posts: 209
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.