[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ still using Windows?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 23

File: 600px-TheStoryBehindTux.jpg (115KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
600px-TheStoryBehindTux.jpg
115KB, 600x900px
Why are some people on /g/ still using Windows?

>linux is to complicated
Its all a matter of habit.

>i have software i need windows for
Think again... don't say you need MS Word for school, because LibreOffice can do the same.
But if it's specific software: Is it heavy software? Dual boot, but ONLY for this software. Is it light software? Use wine or a VM.

>but windows just werks
Suprisingly I have to install drivers on windows for things like wifi adapters and USB 3.0 cards. This is not the case in Linux. Also, no OS "just werks". You have always to install some drivers. But it's a one time procedure only.

>lel, I don't care bout freedum
Have fun being watched by the NSA while masturbating. Also: You really want to be dependent on a company for something essential like your OS?

>im an idiot and dont want to learn
It isn't that hard. Just play less games.

>muh gamez
Clicked the wrong board again? Let me help you: >>/v/

>if i may interject for a moment...
alright, it's GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv.
>>
i have a laptop with nvidia optimus
>>
>>52295610
As much as it's very strange to us why would a person play games on their computer, there are still people who does it. So that's an another reason too
>>
>>52295610
It's muh vidya gaems, desu
so I keep my desktop on Windows and run Linux on everything else. hopefully within the next few years Linux game and driver support will improve to the point where I don't need to do this.
>>
>>52295659
So dual boot?

>>52295683
What kind of games do you play? I run Linux and Mac OS X and 90% of my Steam library run on these (granted CSGO is a tad more stable on Mac OS X than Linux, but for everything else it is fine and dandy).
>>
>>52295610
>can't even link >>>/v/
yeah ok kid
>>
System-wide parametric Equalizer.
>>
>>52295610
Convinced me.

Didn't even know about LibreOffice.

/g/ you truly changed me.
>>
Ableton runs like shit Linux. I have a chromebook that's dual booted with Linux to mess around and learn on however.
>>
>>52295707
WoW (1.12, private server) I believe this runs okay in Wine
Payday 2
the Borderlands series
various others that I pick up, play, and then drop

really the bigger problem is that my desktop has two 680s in SLI, and three monitors in surround, which isn't well-supported by either nouveau or the proprietary driver.
>>
>>52295770
>>52295724
Somehow /g/ is a board where all the graphical designers, hardcore professional e-game contestants, music producers, video editors and professional writers go...

Either that, or a bunch of fags are pretending to be important on the internet.
>>
>>52295770
Meant to say *with Linux
>>
>>52295610
LbreOfficer sucks fucking ass though and runs like shit.
>>
want a program on windows:

>google
>download .exe
>install (next, next, next, done!)

want a program on linux:

>it's non-free
>edit sourcelist
>crap, have to manually add the repository
>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fagname
>add-apt-repository hasn't been installed
>apt-get install python-software-properties
>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fagname again
>gpg error
>something something Ubuntu keyserver
>problem-solving ad infinitum...
>>
>>52295802
>graphical designers, hardcore professional e-game contestants, music producers, video editors and professional writers go
Dude i just want a system-wide parametric equalizer like Equalizer APO for Windows.
>>
>>52295813
Said someone who obviosly never tried it
>>
Windows is the better platform for programming
Yes it is

- compatiblity
- enjoying nice debuggers like visual studio
- no retarded dependency hell
- no fragmentation
- unix shell still possible via mingw etc

Use windows and you just have everything working without any kind of problems.
>>
I need photoshop and illustrator for my job. if someone can get a stable port over to linux then ill switch
>>
btw my case:
>cycle through 3 linux distros ( ubuntu, debian, arch ), in case of arch, spend additional few hours "researching" and "configuring"
>everything seems to work, looks like ass though, needs heavy ricing
>go back to windows because what the heck why waste my time when i already have everything setup and working like a clock and im used to it and if something breaks i can fix it myself just by clicking with a mouse and if something breaks by my friends/relatives/anons_on_webs in 99.99% they use windows and i can fix it the same way as well
i like linux on my router, thats the only place where it belongs imo
>>
>>52295793
>WoW (1.12, private server) I believe this runs okay in Wine
A long time since I tried, but IIRC it runs fine in wine yes.

>Payday 2
This one I don't know about

>the Borderlands series
I play borderlands (II + some DLCs and the Pre-sequel) on Linux and Mac, no problem at all with these games.

>really the bigger problem is that my desktop has two 680s in SLI, and three monitors in surround, which isn't well-supported by either nouveau or the proprietary driver.
Well, nouveau is outright shit.

SLI on Linux works as well, but there might be some PCIe related issues... What motherboard do you have and what is your topology?

I also have three monitors and two GPUs (but no SLI though), as for games they rarely work with more than one in my experience. The only issues I had with multi-monitor set up were X.org and window manager related (xfwm didn't play well with displayport monitors and all attempts at fixing the x.org.conf were broken as it was regenerated on every reboot, disabling DP1.2 daisy chaining worked though)
>>
>>52295820
debian based systems uses .deb binaries, they can get installed fast.
most other linux distributions uses rpm-packages.
your way is only for auto-update
>>
>>52295610
>Why are some people on /g/ still using Windows?
>>linux is to complicated
>Its all a matter of habit.
I'm trying to install Gentoo on my Beaglebone Black. It reminded me of how much of a pain in the ass getting into Linux was in the first place.
>>
>>52295820
yaourt -S fagname
y
y
or sudo -S fagname
>>
Because Windows is the OS I'm most familiar with. Been using it since 95.

Also why should I use Linux? The only thing I ever see /g/ using it for is to rice the hell out of it and slap their anime waifus everywhere.
>>
>>52295820
more like
>open terminal
>type a line
>click "y"
>done
>>
>>52295948
this tbqh fami
>>
File: 1451239028440.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451239028440.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
I-I just don't want to leave my comfort zone
>>
>>52295724
>>52295770
>>52295813
>>52295820
>>52295872
>>52295887
>>52295889
>>52295948
>>52296002
>>52296071
Enjoy being part of the worldwide botnet
>>
>>52295610
>It's all a matter of habit
One of the few things in this post that make sense

>LibreOffice can do the same
LibreOffice isn't nearly as good as Word. I've encountered situations where documents made in LibreOffice don't look right in Word. Not a huge deal though, unless you're in a work environment and everybody else is using Word.

Dual booting and wine is a decent suggestion but why go through the trouble of doing that when you can just run the software you require on the OS you're used to without the need for a VM or rebooting?

>Surprisingly I have to install drivers on windows for things like wifi adapters and USB 3.0 cards

I have encountered this on Linux far more than I have on Windows. There is also hardware for Linux that is not officially supported by the kernel yet and needs to be fucked around with. Not a big deal if you know what you're doing, but if you're still new to Linux or computers in general, it's extremely off-putting.

>This is not the case in Linux
I smell bait

>Have fun being watched by the NSA while masturbating. Also: You really want to be dependent on a company for something essential like your OS?

Not everybody cares that the NSA is watching them masturbate. Or being dependent on a company for an OS. Are they stupid? Sure. But insisting that they need to switch to a new OS because the government wants to watch them masturbate just makes you sound like a paranoid conspiracy theorist. This is detrimental to your goal. You're better off emphasizing other benefits, or simply using privacy and security itself without the "UR GUBMINT IS SPYIN ON U" shit.

>It isn't that hard. Just play less games.
Why should somebody spend less time enjoying a hobby if they don't see the point of switching to a new OS? Just because you think it's superior? If they don't think switching to Linux really benefits them, or they simply have no interest in it, then it makes no sense to learn.
>>
>>52295610
I like it and its software base for some jobs.
I like UNIX and their varying software bases for other jobs.

It's all a matter of what best helps me derive further enjoyment and/or efficiency out of my hobbies and life in general.
>>
>>52295948
personally, the main reason why i stayed was the overall speed + being able to boot in like 15 seconds. also the option to install software with a simple line on a terminal is heaven for me, should've come to /g/ sooner
>>
>>52296110
Enjoy your low iq botnet windows shill
>>
File: image.jpg (506KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
506KB, 1280x1707px
>>52296106
>le botnet boogeyman
>>
I use Linux but use a windows phone how fucked am I ?
>>
>>52295610

Same question: Why are some people on /g/ still using Linux? Why are some people on /g/ still using BSD*?
>>
>>52296110
>LibreOffice isn't nearly as good as Word. I've encountered situations where documents made in LibreOffice don't look right in Word. Not a huge deal though, unless you're in a work environment and everybody else is using Word.

Yeah, I keep track of everything I do with excel and Libreoffice can "open" the spreadsheets but it completely butchers them. Its also slow as shit compared to MS Office in terms of actually getting anything done, much less shortcuts and autocompleting features.
>>
File: 1452196108054.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1452196108054.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
>hating freedom
stay pleb
>>
File: 1435094398162.jpg (29KB, 429x359px) Image search: [Google]
1435094398162.jpg
29KB, 429x359px
>>52296147
>mfw I use Linux
>mfw I was clearly debating poor arguments and not the quality of the OS itself

try harder, autist

>>52296201
Yeah, with some work I think LibreOffice could become a viable alternative, but for now it just doesn't compete in business environments.
>>
>>52296183
same here bro
lumia is fucked up even symbian (s60v3) worked better -_-
>>
>>52296147
Nice argument man. You sure showed him with your awesome use of overused buzzwords
>>
>>52296201
My clients need VBA macros and addons which I simply cannot do with libre.
>>
File: lunix.png (295KB, 771x1875px) Image search: [Google]
lunix.png
295KB, 771x1875px
>>52295610
>>52295630
>just werks
>>
>>52295813
What do you mean? It runs better than office even on Windows, it is more compatible with a larger array of files can do more out of the box AND the source code is available so you can add anything you want that nobody else even can imagine. You could optimise it to your hardware just like gentoo.
>>
File: 1452002559949.png (240KB, 740x5583px) Image search: [Google]
1452002559949.png
240KB, 740x5583px
>>52296302
Every day, eh?
>>
>>52295893
>>SLI on Linux works as well, but there might be some PCIe related issues... What motherboard do you have and what is your topology?
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. (I'm hoping to upgrade to X99, but I'm low on shekels) The two GPUs are in the first and second PCI-E slots, whcih, according to my mobo manual, means they should both be at x16. (Populate the last slot and it drops to 16/8/8) The surround displays are all connected via DVI, two on the master and one on the slave. There's also an accessory display on the master card using a DP-to-DVI advapter.

this strikes me as the sort of thing that might, in theory, be possible on Linux if I used the proprietary driver. Maybe. But in practice, it'd probably be something close to impossible to set up. I'd very much like to never have to deal with xorg.conf files ever again in my life, they've been quite enough trouble on my other machines.

with luck Wayland will lead us to a magical land of milk and honey and we'll all live with our waifus in glorious happiness foreverafter. But I'm gonna wait and see on that before I switch my desktop over to Linux.
>>
File: 1449822293349.jpg (67KB, 426x380px) Image search: [Google]
1449822293349.jpg
67KB, 426x380px
>>52295610
Can I play my glorious Nippon hentai games on Linux?
That's what I thought.
>>
>>52296302
I agree, FreeBSD is better.
>>
>>52296373
what about battery life?
btw i'm not criticizing, just want to know
>>
>be me
>font faggot
>Install fonts on windows ezpz

>Install arch linux
>yaourt tewi
>downloads
>can't get it to work

Why has god forsaken me /g/?
>>
>>52295610
I have absolutely no need for Linux
I play video games and use the internet
Windows is better for games
also I have AMD so no linux drivers
>>
>>52296393
>Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. (I'm hoping to upgrade to X99, but I'm low on shekels) The two GPUs are in the first and second PCI-E slots, whcih, according to my mobo manual, means they should both be at x16.
You're right. I will look into it, but I can't promise anything as it's nearing bed time for me now.

>this strikes me as the sort of thing that might, in theory, be possible on Linux
It should be, at least when you use all-DVI. I'm not too familiar with SLI though, sorry for that. I only know that it should in theory work.

As a side-note I know that DP can be a bit flaky (no daisy chaining support yet, for example). I know that's not what you're doing though, just mentioning it.

>if I used the proprietary driver
Oh, you must use the proprietary driver to get multi-GPU and especially SLI to work. SLI is a NVIDIA proprietary thing, and nouveau just shits itself in multi-GPU setups.

I have a K20 and four K40s in various combinations with some Quadro K2000s and K2200s, and nouveau simply shits itself when it detects these.

>I'd very much like to never have to deal with xorg.conf files ever again in my life, they've been quite enough trouble on my other machines.
These days they are supposed to be auto-generated every time the display manager is started (which is why it was such a hassle for me to fiddle around in it).

xrandr and the nvidia-settings-thing are the things to use to change settings though.
>>
>>52296369
That's great, but for the average user who doesn't have any idea how to start modifying the source code, that means nothing. The majority of people don't want to use a program that's inferior out of the box and needs to be modified to be on par with an alternative one.
>>
>>52295802
It>>52295802
It's almost as if people with those job titles are interested in and interact with technology?

Not everyone is neet anon. Stop projecting.
>>
>>52296580
>also I have AMD so no linux drivers

There are AMD drivers for Linux though. Proprietary and open-source.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Windows is superior for games.
>>
Because it just works.
>>
>>52296581
I am optimistic that things are getting better. Then again not a month ago I had a Debian stable machine shit itself when I installed the proprietary driver and ran nvidia-xconfig. The X server blew its brains out and wouldn't load at all. I tried for a while to remove the driver and go back to nouveau, but X wasn't having any of it. Wound up reinstalling.

I plan to eventually move everything to Linux, gaming included, but I don't think it's quite there yet.
>>
>>52296654
>people with creative jobs go to 4chan /g/
This board is for techies, not for artists.

Also
>hurr durr muh jobs
You're a retard if you think every single Windows user on this board needs Cubase or Photoshop for his work.
>>
>>52296201
It is windows that butcher them. Likely on purpose... Other office packages even Google docs handle it fine. MS office is just not able to open as many document types as all other office packages. They are the biggest so they don't care about having it function well.
>>
>>52296712
>LO is incompatible with MS Office files
>Somehow this is MSOffice's fault

Don't get me wrong LO can do a high school English essay fine but if you're working with VBA? Conditional Formatting? Pivot Tables? lol forget it.
>>
>>52295802
Not a pro, just a hobbyist. Linux just has no good DAWs
>>
Why are some people on /g/ still using Linux?

>Windows is spyware
Literal tinfoil hat.

>Muh freedom
You're just as 'free' on windows. Don't kid yourself, you dont edit source code on programs that would otherwise be closed source on a regular basis.

>I need to feel cool and appreciated by using Linux
You need to be older than the age of 13 to post on this board.

>inb4 shill
I use Arch Linux full time.
>>
>>52296703
>Then again not a month ago I had a Debian stable machine shit itself when I installed the proprietary driver and ran nvidia-xconfig
Installed from repo or from nvidia? I never use the version in the repo, it's old and outdated.

>The X server blew its brains out and wouldn't load at all. I tried for a while to remove the driver and go back to nouveau, but X wasn't having any of it. Wound up reinstalling.
Weird, shouldn't be a problem as x.org.conf is (as I said) autogenerated when the display manager is loaded. I don't use Debian stable though, maybe they use some ancient version of X?

Anyway, I was also skeptical of gaming on Linux but so far my experience has been largely positive. The only issue I have is the bi-weekly updates from valve for CSGO, some of them, I suspect, aren't very well-tested for Linux as it is the only game (I play from my Steam library) that has bugs. I'm open to admit that my taste in games may not be very representative of what people like to play though, I dunno.
>>
>>52296769
>Why are some people on /g/ still using Linux?
1) I've been using UNIX and NIX systems since 2004, I'm very proficient with them and I know my way around on them.

2) I use Linux for my work

3) I've actually submitted a patch to the kernel (inclusion is yet pending), meaning that I've also audited parts of the network stack at least
>>
>>52296491
It's a mix bag, it all depends on your hardware support., sometimes you laptop uses some obscure chineese Wifi card or something that eats your battery.
>>
>>52296665
haha, don't kid yourself. Those drivers are border line useless. Intel literally is the only company to puts any effort into their drivers. Nvidia and AMD are fucking shit.
>>
>>52296835
this to be honest familia

AMD drivers are utter trash for Linux, yet Nvidia is a complete mixed bag when it comes to PCI passthrough.

>mfw trying to buy a well supported wireless card that isnt dogshit
>>
>>52296835
Pretty much this, if your buying a laptop and want to use linux, try and find a laptop with as much intel hardware inside as possible
>>
>>52296835
Nvidia drivers are definitively not shit. They're a bit behind when it comes to high-end video performance (because of lacking support in the kernel itself and Nvidia only distributing proprietary binary blobs that aren't in mainline, meaning that their patches to the kernel aren't accepted either partly because of politics and partly because there is no code that uses it except for Nvidia drivers), but for stuff like CUDA they are as good as any Windows driver.
>>
>>52296835
NVidia drivers are great under Linux, they offer nearly identical performance without the Geforce gaymur experience XD!, Plus it's a better CUDA development environment, I've never had any issues in years, using multiple monitors on an Optimus Laptop and 760 on my desktop.
>>
>>52296869
>yet Nvidia is a complete mixed bag when it comes to PCI passthrough.
See >>52296901
>because of lacking support in the kernel itself and Nvidia only distributing proprietary binary blobs that aren't in mainline, meaning that their patches to the kernel aren't accepted either partly because of politics and partly because there is no code that uses it except for Nvidia drivers
>>
>>52296665
I have an AMD laptop. I had to go back to windows 10 because of the awful performance I got with linux. I tried the following distros

>Xubuntu 15.10
>Ubuntu 15.10
>Linux Mint 17.3
>Fedora 23 Gnome

All of them ran like shit on my laptop. I tried both the open source driver and the official amd drivers. It ran like shit.
>>
>>52296769
>Literal tinfoil hat.
Microsoft literally admits it contains data collection software for reasons of security.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking

>you dont edit source code on programs
>thinks freedom from licensing is about modifying software
>>
>>52296709

You need to get outside if you think creatives still aren't using technology

Also
>technology is serious business and can't be a hobby
>>
>>52296963
You need to stop being naive if you think people on 4chan aren't notoriously pretending, lying, trolling, shilling etc.
>>
>>52296963
>>technology is serious business and can't be a hobby
I explicitly said working in my original post. Nice try, trying to shift the goal post.
>>
but linux is way too coplicated, partitioning a disk ALONE is complicated and the programs used for this dont even work well in my experience.
>>
>>52297020
Whatever makes you feel better about your current situation
>>
>>52296106
I will, thank you :)
>>
>>52296712
>you should use software X over software Y, it's so much better!
>but software X doesn't do this thing I find useful in software Y
>well that's just evil software Y's fault! I still win!
Why do you people think this is a good argument???? It's almost as stupid as the self-proclaimed use case pros projecting their grandma-tier needs on everyone else who always come out of the woodwork every time these shitty productivity software wars start up.

If a piece of software fails to do something important to a prospective user, it's shit no matter what evil judeo-proprietary conspiracy is causing it.
>>
>>52296712
>They are the biggest
Hence they are the standard, deal with it.
>>
>>52295802
>>52296709
Not all technology hobbyists are empty aspirant code monkeys and office drones like you seem to be implying, actually at least a plurality of them are quite creative in one way or another.
>>
The board would improve tenfold if Windows cabs were banned on sight.
>>
>>52296373
tested with 2 smartfons MTP works like charm including smartfon as 3g ,modem OFTB
>>
Visual Studio and C#
>>
>>52297351
I don't know man. It's always the Linux fags who produce the most of the shitposting, by either bait threads or shilling. Constantly trying to shove their beliefs down our throats.
>>
>>52297351
>Windows cabs were banned on sight.
>Linux* cabs were banned on sight.
>>
>>52295610
>Its all a matter of habit.
Like smoking, it's both useless and harmful

>Think again... don't say you need MS Word for school, because LibreOffice can do the same.
Yeah and I'll open this Word document using special DOCX features and watch LO shit the fucking bed.

>But if it's specific software: Is it heavy software? Dual boot, but ONLY for this software. Is it light software? Use wine or a VM.
Or just use it with native performance and not some hackaround some freetards came up with inbetween picking shit from between their toes and eating it.

>Suprisingly I have to install drivers on windows for things like wifi adapters and USB 3.0 cards.
Surprisingly, these drivers actually work and don't fucking fall over and cause Kernel Panics. Unlike Loonix.
>This is not the case in Linux.
Confirmed for never visiting any Linux help forum.

>Have fun being watched by the NSA while masturbating.
You can stop making things up now.

>Also: You really want to be dependent on a company for something essential like your OS?
I rely on companies to produce high quality products for the consumer. Proprietary operating systems are these. Freetard OS's are not.

>It isn't that hard. Just play less games.
The only argument freetards have "don't play games"

>Clicked the wrong board again? Let me help you: >>/v/
See above.

>alright, it's GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv.
autism
>>
File: 1436324078028.jpg (17KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1436324078028.jpg
17KB, 500x500px
>>52296835
Are you retarded? All I said is that they exist (in response to somebody saying that there are no drivers). Nowhere did I even imply that they were good. You should work on your reading comprehension.
>>
>>52296955

This post also applies: >>52297575
>>
>>52297388
code monkey
>>
>>52295893
>why not use linux
>ten million things to know about before while and after using linux
>ten million workarounds for literally everything
>ten million different distributions to look into which suits me best
vs
>turn on pc
>use it

I am not a fan of microsoft or windows but it just works
>everything needs drivers
Duh. But they are either auto install or downsyndrome easy and userfriendly to find

I dont want to search forever just to find a fitting OS for my hardware. Call me a botnet sheep if you will, but linux just never has been attractive for my home pc.
>>
>>52295610
Because as a student living away from my home city playing video games is the only way I keep in contact with my friends. Plus I don't have to deal with the hassle that is Linux.
>>
File: shots_fired.jpg (179KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
shots_fired.jpg
179KB, 770x433px
>>52296654
>>
>>52295610
>linux is to complicated

No one on here thinks that, they're speaking for the casual user who can't fix things

>Think again... don't say you need MS Word for school, because LibreOffice can do the same.

They're typically talking about software they need for school or work, or like DAWS and other creative stuff

>But if it's specific software: Is it heavy software? Dual boot, but ONLY for this software. Is it light software? Use wine or a VM.

This is time consuming for the average user and they'd rather just have everything able to work in one OS

>Suprisingly I have to install drivers on windows for things like wifi adapters and USB 3.0 cards. This is not the case in Linux. Also, no OS "just werks". You have always to install some drivers. But it's a one time procedure only

You need drivers for things, big fucking surprise, welcome to computers.

>Have fun being watched by the NSA while masturbating. Also: You really want to be dependent on a company for something essential like your OS?

They don't care because they don't feel the repercussions or effects, most people won't.

>Clicked the wrong board again? Let me help you: >>/v/

People like games, get over yourself.

>alright, it's GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv.

Stop being cringey. I use Debian. Who the hell cares.
>>
>>52297388
Visual Studio Code/MonoDevelop and you've still got C#.

You could also consider using a language that's not for retarded bureaucratic code monkeys.
>>
i use my laptop for 3 things

1. shitpostan
2. gaymen
3. photoshop

when 2 and 3 run natively and without having to learn machinecode, i'll happily switch.
>>
File: 1382970740380.jpg (65KB, 467x325px) Image search: [Google]
1382970740380.jpg
65KB, 467x325px
literally only reason I would switch to linux full-time would be so I could tell people on the internet.
>>
>>52297323

>I make sikk beats, dank memes, and montage parodies
>>
>>52300034
>You could also consider using a language that's not for retarded bureaucratic code monkeys.
Regardless of who it was designed for, C# is one of the best commonly used languages out there.
>>
Last time i tried to setup optimus on debian i ended up with black screen in login everytime, fuck linux
>>
>>52300927
>Last time i tried to setup optimus on debian i ended up with black screen in login everytime, fuck linux
Duh, all you need to do is try {INSERT RANDOM DISTRO

>Last time i tried to setup optimus on debian i ended up with black screen in login everytime, fuck linux

Duh, just read {random wiki, a few forums, documentation}

Duh, your a fucking {INSERT RANDOM INSULT}

BULLSHIT YOU MUST BE PLEB
>>
Plasma 5 is incredible, if u guys want something that feels familiar to windows I strongly recommend, not only will you find it faster and smoother but the UI has stuff that blow win 10 away

to name a few useful ones

Scroll wheel at taskbar = alt tab
Screen edges = move pointer to a corner to do stuff, basically easy window switching with mouse only and easy gesture with no click instead of precise click on taskbar
Mouse focus, if a window is in front but focus is in the back u can type without the front screen going behind, i find it very useful when typing text that i cant copy/paste

There's a lot more, but whats better, its not even the only interface that u can use, cinnamon is also amazing and windows-like

Almost every desktop i've tried on linux works better than windows and is extremely customizable, but cinnamon and plasma5 are at the top for me
>>
>>52301160
>familiar to windows
>windows-like
>linux works better than windows
That will be the day ROFL.....
>>
>>52295610

Because its support is so much better
You dont have to deal with shitty, outdated (or inexistent) drivers
Because the NSA doesnt give a fuck what OS you use when they spy on you using hardware glitches
Because that way i dont have to deal with the retard ass fanboy community
Because its community brags about being smart, but cant even link >>>/v/
>>
>>52295610
Because I work for a living...
>>
>>52300252
>I write hello world-tier novelty programs, copy/paste i3 configs, mindlessly consume shitty anime and shitpost on 4chan
>>
I use Adobe software literally every day for several hours at a time. I would be spending less time in Linux than Windows if I were to dual boot. Also, AMD drivers.
>>
>>52302241
>shitpost on 4chan
Is there anything more important?
>>
>>52296614
But you have yet to define what's inferior about it. What exactly am I suppose to be missing in my life since I switch to libre?
>>
Because I can do multiple things with my windows computer
>games
Yes I like entertainment, I also make more money with a computer science job than you do.
>art programs
Gimp is shit for what I need them for

Only time I ever use linux is for servers.
>>
>>52302363
If you don't feel like you're missing anything, than nothing. Stop arguing with and feeding retards over this shit. These threads are trash.
>>
>>52301160
I have to use KDE all the time at university, it looks and feels like shit. Eventually it fucking broke so I switched over to Openbox and never looked back.
>>
>>52302390
>linux is for servers
Correct!
>>
>>52295610
This idea had me a bit paranoid a few years back, I even have a webcam attached to my laptop. But then I realized that, even if the NSA had any reason to watch me masturbate, it would probably be some guy who doesn't want to watch me, but has to in order to keep his job.

Seriously, this is some guy who was trained to handle cyber terrorism and shit and the moment he walks into the office, his boss tells him he has to watch some random dude masturbate through his webcam for varying lengths of time every fucking night. I still find it hard to fap when I think about it, but now it's due to uncontrollable laughter rather than paranoia.
>>
>>52295610
Why would I dual boot just to use the programs that I need? That leaves no reason to use linux. WIN7 masterrace
>>
Because it just works.
>>
Linux is shit. Unix in general is shit. People who think otherwise are objectively incorrect.
>>
because hobbies and stuff
>>
>still can't run league properly in wine
>still can't run wow 1.12.1 properly in wine
No thanks.
>>
>>52301160
Every linux desktop is terrible, and nobody cares that you can customize them.
>>
File: ajrA767.jpg (494KB, 1029x1440px) Image search: [Google]
ajrA767.jpg
494KB, 1029x1440px
Has skype for linux been improved or even updated?

I can work around the other drawbacks but I literally need skype to talk to my bf
>>
Is there a way to run Photoshop, Illustrator and other Adobe software on linux?
I might eventually switch.
iOS is shit, and windows just looks like the only alternative i have, but i don't really like it.
>>
>>52302412
I personally find it useful because I can then try adding it to libre once I get some free time from work.
>>
>>52295610
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>52302607
not really. Some bugfixes, but that's it.

I like it a lot more than skype for windows, but I can't meme emoji on it as well
>>
>>52302607
post legs slut, if trap
if vagina ew gtfo
>>
>>52295610
>implying i want to become a tinfoil hat weeaboo with a gigantic neckbeard
>>
>>52295724
Rejoice anon. I had the same problem before. I use this on Arch Linux.

https://github.com/bmc0/dsp/wiki/System-Wide-DSP-Guide

It works similarly to Equalizer APO and even comes with a bash script to generate an effects chain from a Room EQ Wizard filter settings file.
>>
>>52296755
There are standards for office suites, Microsoft does not respect them, in fact uses closed source code.
How could libreoffice be wrong here?
>>
>>52295610
Fuck off back to plebbit newfag.
>>
>>52302876
Because for all intents and purposes, Office IS the standard, and its only obligation, like all other software, is to function to the expectations of its users.

If LibreOffice wants to compete with and/or replace Office entirely, it has to perform to those expectations as well, and if it doesn't, that's too bad.
>>
>>52302840
>bash script to generate an effects chain from a Room EQ Wizard filter settings file.

You can literally just export filter settings as text from REQ Wizard which works with Equalizer APO
>>
National Instruments stuff doesn't work well on Linux and I develop in LabVIEW for a living
>>
i like to play games but i am also interested in technology are you saying that being into both is not possible?
>>
>>52295610

>try ubuntu as fileserver
>share drive
>access denied over network
>uninstall
>install windows 7
>share drive
>itworks.exe
>>
>>52303122
Equalizer APO is not on Linux, but DSP is.
DSP has a different syntax for reading equalizer filters so the conversion script comes in handy then.
Otherwise you can write the filter list manually, which I did for the parametric EQ on rockbox.
>>
>>52295610
it just werks

linux is annoying as fuck to get it do anything
>>
>>52303184
samba ya ding.bat
>>
>>52296106
I enjoy it , enjoy living in parents basement neckbeard
>>
File: 1452139494486.png (75KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
1452139494486.png
75KB, 198x198px
>>52295610
only a true /v/ spillover (and the indians) use windows here.
> inb4 anime posting
>>
>tfw you sat there thinking of all your computer needs and realised you dont need windows for any of them

cli intimidates me though
>>
>>52296302
>implying everyone shouldn't speak english anyway
>>
File: Screenshot - 050116.png (62KB, 819x371px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - 050116.png
62KB, 819x371px
>>52296302
>Using anything but English on a Desktop
God winbabbies are fucking canecrous
>>
i play torrented games, otherwise linux is the same as windows
>>
>But if it's specific software: Is it heavy software? Dual boot, but ONLY for this software.
Or I could just keep using Windows since I've already paid for it and have it installed on my PC.

Retard.
>>
>>52303782
dumb pedophile
>>
>>52303375
>editing config files and using commandline utilities for a basic operation winshit can accomplish seamlessly with a couple right clicks
>>
>>52295610
nice b8 m8
>>
Compatibility.
>>
>>52300991
>linux is so easy and good
>if it doesnt work just read shittons of wiki and forum posts and hope to find a fix for your issue you dont know the reason for appearing
Sounds userfriendly and awesome
>>
>>52302460
What if he's gay?
>>
>>52296503
Have you tried putting the font file in /usr/share/fonts/ and then rebuilding the font cache by fc-cache ? Works for me.
>>
>>52295610
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as a meme, is in fact, a throwback, or as I've recently taken to calling it,an homage. A meme is not a transgression unto itself, but rather another referential component of a fully functioning writing system made useful by allusions, Easter eggs and references comprising a full Pop culture as defined by Wikipedia.

Many people make a modified version of the meme system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of references which is widely used today is often called a meme, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the referential system, developed over centuries.

There really is a Meme, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Meme is the focus: the language in the system that allocates the popular resources to the other sentences that you say. The meme is an essential part of pop culture, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete referential system. Meme is normally used in combination with the pop culture system: the whole system is basically history with memes added, or homages. All the so-called meme quotes are really types of homages!
>>
so cute how freetards think ubuntu makes them immune from the NSA
>>
>>52295610
I do use Linux every day, but I'm still plagued with tearing after I upgraded to a 1440p screen.

Any advice?

GTX770, tried with both nouveau drivers and proprietary. Tearing goes down if I enable flipping, but that causes other issues.
>>
>>52296422
You can in a VM. Bonus: You can run XP in the VM and have it set to Japanese for max nip compatibility.
>>
>>52305742
Don't just think it has to be the driver. Could also be the desktop compositor (even for fullscreen video), which is almost certainly the case with XFCE. Solution: Install compton.
>>
>>52295820
Oh boy, we're gonna do one of these again?

want program on linux
>apt-cache search program
>sudo apt-get install program
>done

want a program on windows:
>google
>find the program
>have to pay $29.95 shekels
>go to piratebay
>find torrent
>download
>extract
>place the crack
>run
>fatal error 0xC0000005. Send error report to microsoft?
>presss "Don't send"
>google "how to fix error 0xC0000005"
>stumble on forum
>"I was missing xcpf.dll. Thanks everyone! :)"
>search xcpf.dll
>stumble on another forum that offers the download
>download xcpf.dll
>place them in the working directory
>run
>it works
>it crashes after 30min
>spend time trying to figure out why it crashed
>such is the life of a winfag
>>
>>52295610
>He can't make inter-board links.
>He makes posts full of grammar and spelling errors.
>He tells you to stop doing things.
>He thinks dual booting to use software will satisfy people

Why should anyone listen to you? You're an absolute retard.
>>
>>52295610
because nvidia optimus on some shitbox
>>
>>52305811
>install linux
>install windows on linux
Windows is superior
>>
>>52306318
No.
>>
because Linux literally has no advantages over Windows
besides >muh botnet meme

everyone saying otherwise is either brainwashed by GNU+Stallman and /g/, retarded or plain trolling
>inb4 some people still try to troll me with their replies
>>
>>52305881
I could try. I've tried on Cinnamon and Mate, but I could try with a Compton based compositor. Thanks.
>>
I still have a Windows partition to game, but i use it less every day.
I find Linux (Ubuntu) easier to use, i'm used to workspaces, unfocused scrolling, window on top, indexed menus, good font rendering, automated software updates. I don't have the time to waste trying to get Windows to work the way i want.
>>
File: 1410938355884.jpg (76KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1410938355884.jpg
76KB, 600x900px
>>52295610
>2016
>He's not using GNU/Hurd in the year of the GNU PLUS Hurd desktop
>>
>>52295610
Joke's on you, I have a fetish for being watched while masturbating
>>
File: 1452002044754.jpg (13KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1452002044754.jpg
13KB, 540x489px
>>52308515
this desu familia
>>52308523
good point
>>
>>52302768
Few. I thought I was going to need to post it.
>>
If I do want stop bein pleb which distros should i test? Mint & Ubuntu are the easiest ones?
>>
>>52295724

I bet you use Beats headphones too. Neutral sound or bust
>>
>>52295610
>>
only real argument here is the spying, which doesn't affect me since I'm a euro. everything else is a matter of taste or preference.
>>
File: Reaction - Kumiko fidget.gif (748KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
Reaction - Kumiko fidget.gif
748KB, 500x508px
I've been dual booting with Debian Stretch and the only problems I've had were due to inexperience. For an image viewer though, what is good for viewing zip archives of the sort?
>>
>>52295610
90% of desktop software is written for Windows. It just werkz

You can run your shitty hobby OS on a VM if you must
>>
>>52309919
Five Eyes, broseph
>>
>>52309937
how big are the archives? for small ones i use viewnior but for bigger ones you might want to use a CLI based one.
>>
>>52310276
Max is about 2GB.
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 480x640px
>>52295610
Don't know jack shit about Linux senpai. I also like my vidyas, I draw, etc. etc. if you could throw some resources at me I may change my degenerate ways.
>>
Hey, nothing against Linux here. It's just the fact that Windows works, out of the box, with all the programs I need and the games I want.

As a student, for example, I really need the Office suite.
>Use LibreOffice!
I tried it, its functionalities are limited and I can't/don't have time/don't want to edit the source code. I need compatibility with other's work and functionalities, don't really care that the source code is closed as long as it works.

Or let's consider the applications OP defined as heavy. Why should I do a dual boot and use Windows every time I want to use it if I can just use Windows for everything?

Also, games. The majority of them still aren't compatible, and they run worse too (see SteamOS's case).

Linux is great if you care a lot about privacy and are very intimidated by telemetry, if you want full control over anything, if you use your PC to watch chinese cartoons and/or code (but the botnet can do these two too). For everything else, Windows is the best choice.
>>
>>52310347
go fuck yourself
>>
>>52310347
krita is great for drawing, there are loads of vidya games for GNU/Linux nowadays. try dual-booting. >>>/g/flt can help
>>
>>52306318
Shit that never happened. Episode 34: linux babbi defends his autism
>>
>>52304008
>The only counter argument from a winfag
>>
>>52306318
>I'm too retarded to use Windows in 2016 but I'm still superior to you
god I love freetards
>>
I am using Windows cause I want to use a computer and not to manage a computer. Further my girlfriend is using the same computer and she can manage some things in Windows.
>>
>>52295610
I use CAD.
I have no other choice but to use windows.
The freware and or payed solutions in Linux are still lacking.
>>
Hi /g/. I really want to use a linux distro, but I cannot seem to drag myself away from muh games. What do?
>>
>>52315556
Buy a console.
>>
>>52315556
WINE works well in low-peformance games
also dual boot
>>
>>52315556
dual-boot
>>
>>52295610
I need some software on Windows.
>dual boot
Why dual boot when I can just run one OS that does everything I need? I thought you linux faggots hated bloat?
>>
>>52315556
>install gentoo
>use integrated graphics
>git gud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
>>
Because I can install any version of any software without fucking up the dependencies
>>
>>52295793
Lets all remember that wine was orginally built to support WoW players
>>
File: nh1.png (74KB, 940x673px) Image search: [Google]
nh1.png
74KB, 940x673px
>muh gamez

Fuck off, I use Linux and I still have the time of my life playing the best genre.
>>
>>52295802
Gee it's like some people want to use their computers for productivity and fun?!
>>
>>52295899
>>52295820
Opensuse provides one click installers for their packages on the opensuse build service. automatically adds the repository, grabs the rpm, then installs it.
>>
>>52316303
This is 2016 now.. accept that you can play 3D engine based games without feeling guilt
>>
>>52316303
>he whines about people enjoying games because it wastes time and productivity yet he simultaneously brags about playing simple textmode shit that is mindless and time-wasting at a level far above even shitty AAA titles
>>
>>52295610
i think you have missed the point sir, without games and porn, there is no real point in having a computer besides to socialize. its a pretty clear chart actually

Porn 50%
Video games 25%
Socialzation 15%
Comedy from random shit 10%

Of course this varies from person to person but seriously, if you remove one of these, you remove part of yourself.
>>
>>52295610
I listen to songs called Genital Grinder. Don't expect anything from me.
>>
>>52306318

No
>>
File: mothra2.png (198KB, 500x504px) Image search: [Google]
mothra2.png
198KB, 500x504px
>>52295820
>>Windows...
>> next, next, next, toolbars!
FTFY
>>
>>52295610
Because I'm used to Windows
>>
>boot live ubuntu cd
>cut some files off a HDD to a USB drive
>eject usb
>put in other computer
>whoops the files ain't on it
>but wait, the files are gone off the HDD too
>files now completely lost

GEE THANKS LINSUX
>>
>>52296302
Old is fucking old i like the lack of dates.
Did you writ this yourself? Point me to a credible source please.
>>citation needed.
>>
>>52296163
this analogy isn't accurate because the boogyman doesn't actually exist while Microsoft literally has remote control of your computer and can take it over at any time they want to.
>>
>>52296491
i get a little over 6 hours so i wont complain.
I run acpi in the terminal.
Pic related.
>>
>>52296880
Ive done this since the 90's so i have never had a problem and i guess its the reason why i cant understand why its such a problem for other people. Ive always read about compatibility before committing to a purchase.
>>
>>52296869
Atheros is all i use for linux it cant be beat.
>>
>>52316526

And yet most of them are braindead compared to roguelikes.
>>
It's lightweighter to have a VM with Linux on Windows than Windows on Linux, so I'm using that.
>>
>>52302552
Case in point.
You talk shit.
See where im going with this?
>>
>>52302461
And when win7 isnt supported anymore?
Win10 masterrace?
>>
>>52316725
Remove yourself.
>>
>>52295610
>Dual boot, but ONLY for this software.

Why bother with a hobby OS at all then?
>>
>>52317176
A Linux VM on Windows is no more safe than running Windows normally. Windows is proprietary (closed-source) software so its impossible to know it's not monitoring everything you do inside the VM as well. With all proprietary software, we must assume the worst case (that is, windows is monitoring your VM).
>>
I just spent two hours fixing my wireless because my wpa_supplicant service decided that it's going to stop working automatically. It's still not automatic, but I can get the connection working again.

The power of GNU/Linux [spoiler]I love it[/spoiler]
>>
>>52317580
have you tried networkmanager?
>>
>>52295610
>>52295714
>>>/v/
Dolce autismo
>>
Just because I'm a pc gamer shouldn't mean I can't be on /g/... these threads are starting to get really irritating in how they act like someone can't decide to use an inferior os for personal reasons and still deserve to be treated like a sentient being
>>
>>52319684
>>>/v/
>>
Windows have better bios than linux
>>
>>52295813
then try wps office
>>
Well, I'm trying to use linux but whenever I find an issue I cannot fix by myself and ask for help, people don't care, if you want more people to use linux then do it properly and provide some damn support.

My linux partition will be rusting for now, I can't even use internet.
>>
a lot of programs don't work as well (or at all) in Wine and have no good free alternatives.
>>
>>52295610
>Linux Users Group meeting
>what do you guys want to do
>let's go to the aquarium
>okay
lol what
>>
>>52296302
>Winbabbies on problem-solving
>OMG it's not windows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.