[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IRC clients

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: 1432225796914.jpg (79KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
1432225796914.jpg
79KB, 640x905px
there's
>bitchx
>ii
>ircfs
>irssi
>ircII
>scrollZ
>sic
>weechat

now, whats the best? opinions from ricers welcome
>>
Thread related
Best irc client for android ? I'm currently using atomic from fdroid.
>>
shameless selfbump
>>
>le terminal irc
>>
>>52293542
>now, whats the best?
Whatever fits your needs the most?
Are you retarded OP? Decide for yourself.
Does your mom still wipe your ass after shitting?
>>
Kids don't use mIRC anymore?
>>
>>52293542
try a few and see for yourself
i use weechat
>>
>>52293972
please anon, no need to be rude
i just want to know some differences..
>>
>>52293542
I used ircii back in the day, riced to fuck and back. irssi is probably the best now, and it has silc support.

We probably shouldn't still be using IRC in 2016. It's horrifically insecure. Even the botnet C&Cs have been moving off it for years now.

What is it with open-source developers and hanging out on IRC?
>>
>>52293985
>windows
>top cuck
>>
>ctrl+f
>xchat
>0 results

For shame /g/, for shame.
>>
>>52294008
i mean, are there any alternatives to irc?
>>
>>52294008
Because being able to host the chat server yourself rather than relying on a 3rd party like google, facebook or microsoft is worth it for some people maybe?
>>
>>52294048
>needing a GUI for IRC
weew lad
>>
File: 1404120490700.jpg (77KB, 1140x475px) Image search: [Google]
1404120490700.jpg
77KB, 1140x475px
>>52293542
Just admit you're a neet manchild with too much time on his hands and the one single reason why you're asking this is so you can enlarge your e-penis and street cred on /g/ while cirklejerking in deskshit threads.

IRC can be very useful.
But for those rare times IRC is useful any client will do, even a barebones web based one.
>>
>>52294075
>güd mêmé

the reason i created this thread is im not a neet with lots of time to try all of them out, if i had i would
>>
>>52294073
It's nice having the option though.
You can still do pretty much everything through text commands, but you have the GUI there if you're too lazy.
I have a fuckload of custom commands I made that I'm not bothered to remember, right clicking on users to bring up a menu just werks
>>
>>52294109
in your case, you're right.
but i dont use irc very often and thus dont need to remember any commands

so something minimalistic and good looking would be the best
>>
>>52293542
>Needing people to think for you
Just use whatever popular Mac IRC client your kind uses.
>>
File: 1432463690792.jpg (67KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1432463690792.jpg
67KB, 540x960px
>>52294146
>mac
?????
>>
>>52294146
didn't you hear? >>52294097 he's too important to do that, and needs spoonfeeding.
>>
irc.sublumin.al / #maths ;)
>>
erc
>>
>>52294910
nice try fbi
>>
>>52294075
>I like stock default looks cause I am a normie with bland taste who doesn't even know what IRC is aside from CIS.

Or it could be the fact that high volume channels can somewhat hard to read depending on the client default settings. Not sure why you're so buttmad, people do the same things with their favorite editors/ide to suit thier needs. Hard to follow junior?
>>
>>52294008
>It's horrifically insecure.

You're kidding right?
>>
hexchat
>>
anime artists don't understand how depth works lmaaaaooooooooooooo ',8o]
>>
>>52295111
not him but it should be common sense that ircops can basically fuck you over as they please
>>
>>52293542
EMACS
>>
>>52297031
Just like the owners of any chatroom service can. Facebook can just ban you for posting content they don't like.
>>
>>52297312
you have to take into account that really anyone could set up an irc server
takes like 10 minutes without the services
>>
>>52297497
Right, and anyone who connects to an untrusted server would be foolish to do so.
>>
irssi master race
>>
>>52297650
even if the server is a trusted one it only takes one ircop to wreak havoc without any real consequences irl
>>
>>52297744
A "trusted" server with stupid ircops is not a trusted server.
>>
Is IRC even worth? Thought about trying to get into it but every channel seems really dead and pretty useless.
>>
pidgin
>>
>>52297829
anyone can suddenly become "stupid" one day
with services like facebook there are legal ways to make people who suddenly act "stupid" liable for what they've done
not saying you should use facebook but it is just an example for a trusted company many people trust
>>
>>52297899
pidgin sucks for IRC, imo.
>>
>>52297934
Have you read the terms and conditions? They can literally do what they like, it's not your private information anymore.

The difference is that IRC is so low-level and relaitvely small, that there is a good chance you could actually know (in person) someone who runs a server.
>>
>>52298009
facebook is probably the worst choice for a comparison but my point is that when shit like that would happen in a company a lot of pressure would come down onto them from investors, law enforcement and media while nobody would really give a damn about shit going down on an irc except for the people directly involved
I've been administering a couple irc networks myself and I know shit like that is very rarely to happen but a lot of networks simply don't give a fuck and aren't transparent enough for the users to know whether they give a fuck or not
>>
>>52298186
I'd still rather trust someone running a free server because they enjoy it over someone who does it because they are paid to.

What makes you think being whipped by the investors and law enforcement is a good idea exactly? That's exactly what causes the insecurities in the first place.
>>
>>52298255
>I'd still rather trust someone running a free server because they enjoy it over someone who does it because they are paid to.
a good irc network run by people who aren't afraid to have their real names connected to the network, sure
>What makes you think being whipped by the investors and law enforcement is a good idea exactly?
losing money or the fear of losing money makes a lot of people bend over faster than anything else
>>
>>52298428
>losing money or the fear of losing money makes a lot of people bend over faster than anything else
Yes but bend over to who or what exactly? Certainly not their users who pay nothing for the service.

Plenty of security holes in modern communication systems are because of law enforcement wanting a backdoor.
IRC operators not giving a fuck about requests for user data is not a bad thing, it's a good thing.

I'm not saying they should never cooperate, but asking how high every time the police say jump is certainly not good.
>>
>>52298494
I get you and I have a lot of love for irc too but with the way the Internet was built and evolved over the years I don't see any other ways to effectively fight corrupt admins and trolls
with that said I am against mass surveillance but some data has to be logged for some time so it can be handed over to law enforcement if harm was done to people
>>
>>52298586
That's kinda the point though, if the admins are shitty you can just go elsewhere, or make your own network.
Good luck doing the same if some shitbag high up in the gmail or facebook ranks decides they don't like you.

If anything, pissing off an IRCop is more likely to get you in shit because they have more direct access to your logs, but they rarely give enough of a shit to care.
Also, I dunno what harm they're gonna do with just my IP and my username.
>>
>>52293586
How is it?
Don't really like AndChat, using HoloIRC for some reason even though I find it worse than AndChat
>>
>>52298647
lots of shit can be done through the client you use to connect to the irc if an oper cared enough about it
>>
Best is Weechat with relay for on the go usage with Glowing Bear
>>
>>52298721
Such as?
>>
>>52293542
if you are using linux, weechat or irssi are fine

on windows, hexchat.
>>
>>52298659
Its okay. Can't really say much about it since I'm new to the irc business. I got it since its the only decent looking irc in fdroid.
>>
>using things that aren't erc
>>
>>52294048
>xchat < Hexchat
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.