[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/, as a birthday gift for my mom I'd like to convert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: vhs.jpg (624KB, 1024x772px) Image search: [Google]
vhs.jpg
624KB, 1024x772px
Hi /g/, as a birthday gift for my mom I'd like to convert our old family VHS tapes to something with more longevity. The way I figure it, I have 3 options:

1. Use our old VHS/DVD machine that has built-in conversion to make a bunch of DVDs
2. Buy a capture device and then
a. Digitize the videos onto an HDD
b. Digitize and upload the videos onto a private youtube account

DVDs would be the easiest, but archive-grade DVDs would cost me as much as two 500gb HDDs (for redundancy). I'm not sure if there are any downsides to youtube besides the time it would take to upload everything. Hoping for some feedback from anons who have done this kind of project themselves. Thanks.
>>
How is digitizing them onto magnetic tape media giving them more longevity? Did I jus blow you're mind?
>>
what the fuck is family VHS?
>>
>>52264304

Underage
>>
>>52264341
i was born in 1997
>>
>>52264304
is what your parents called their sex tapes back in the day
>>
>>52264243
DVDs are easier to do right.
Capture card method will do a better job, but is a lot easier to fuck up.

If you don't throw out your tapes, you should be fine regardless. They last fucking ages when kept right.

As for archive quality discs? Just rip them onto the computer if you are paranoid. If you are going to go the 'M-Disc' route, they won't burn in your DVD recorder anyway.
>>
File: 1451298762848.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451298762848.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
>>52264304
Bro and sis in the tub. If you know what I mean
>>
>>52264357
>bragging about belonging to the worst generation

fuck off
>>
>>52264357
That's no excuse.
b& im kopf.
>>
>>52264376
Hadn't heard of m-disc, interesting. I only knew of Verbatim's archive DVDs that have some type of gold and silver laying.
>dvds made of rocks
That's hardcore.

Any advice for storing the tapes? They've been sitting on a shelf in the house until recently when they were moved to the garage in lidded plastic bins; I'm worried about humidity (Florida)
>>
File: 1450296149901.jpg (7KB, 193x164px) Image search: [Google]
1450296149901.jpg
7KB, 193x164px
Op, love that pic. Now realize I could look at homemade tape labels all day. Bottom right tape here would be my choice.
>>
>>52264377
OP here, I can confirm bro and sis in the tub videos. As well as bro and sis and dogs in the tub videos.
>>
>>52264420
I'm no expert on magnetic tape storage, it was just an observation (tapes from the early eighties work fine for me, apart from the fact that video recorders were shit back then).
Mind you, where I live humidity isn't really a problem.

As for 'gold and silver archival' discs, they aren't really worth what they claim. The typical failure point of a DVD-R is rarely the reflective layer, but rather the organic layer. In that respect, standard Verbatims will last just as long. That's where the M-Discs come into play, by removing the organic layer all together.

Either way, if you copy the DVD to the computer, you can do all three at once.
>>
>>52264552
I see, that makes sense. And I suppose ripping the DVD wouldn't really add time to the process since I could convert/copy/upload at the same time on the different devices. Probably what I'll do is do a copy with the machine and see if the quality is acceptable, and then only go the capture-card route if the conversion to DVD looks terrible.

>>52264432
They are pretty damn comfy senpai.
>>
>>52264651
>see if the quality is acceptable
Best thing to do.

It's not a one size fits all process. Experiment a little. Find what works and what doesn't.
>>
I don't know how much they cost, but have you considered looking into transfer services? Especially if you have a lot of tapes. It'll probably cost more than DIY if your calculus for the latter is price of a digitizing device + price of media + your worthless time.

But remember video transfer is in real time, so 1 hour VHS tape = 1 hour of digitizing time. Which means you have to sit there for an hour, or at least not go anywhere so you can swap tapes every hour (or less.) Add to that whatever else you do to the video like trim, burn, upload, etc.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (62KB, 1023x634px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
62KB, 1023x634px
>>52264848
Transfer services are way too fucking expensive. This is the cheapest I found.

Basically my plan is to keep everything at my desk and sit down maybe twice a day after work to swap out tapes/disks and do two converts/copies/uploads. I figure that's only 10-20 minutes of my actual involvement per day. Have the whole thing done in two months or so with ~60 tapes.
>>
>>52264243
Dvds are the eaisest way this shit is going to take a long ass time though as you have to transfer the tapes in real time
>>
>>52264357
Wtf.... People born in 1997 are adults? Man... Time flew by, didn't it...
>>
File: 1447392735421.jpg (10KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
1447392735421.jpg
10KB, 220x220px
>>52264304
>>
>>52264243
The VHS/DVD machine, what type? Some have an built in frame/line time base corrector, giving you a more stable picture than a normal capture card.

What's the current condition of the tapes?

The best way to do it yourself is:
- A quality SVHS deck (VHS stores luminance & chrominance separately, SVHS decks give you S-Video out, giving you a bit better signal);
- A timebase corrector (or a deck with a quality TBC);
- A capture card with lossless capture and a rep. of not dropping frames.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.