[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

More linux distro and general software developers should put

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: susegnome.png (117KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
susegnome.png
117KB, 1600x900px
More linux distro and general software developers should put effort into aesthetically pleasing software.
>>
i agree, this looks like shit.
>>
>complaining about aesthetics
>posting Gnome 3
>>
>openSUSE
>not KDE
whyyyyyyyy...
>>
Pure fucking bullshit.

Software should be functional and put stress on usability.
Not fucking aesthetics.

I would greatly appreciate if Microsoft sticked with the Win2k graphical UI, gnome foundation sticked with gnome2 (instead we got the abomination called gnome3) and apple sticked with whatever was the homosexuals choice of the year at the time
>>
>>52253648
I've dabbled with linux over the years and I was looking into trying it out again. Currently using windows 10. I've looked into
>Ubuntu
>Fedora
>Opensuse
>Mint
and many others. Does anyone have a distro that is downright stable, runs just as quickly as windows 10, and will work with with and AMD laptop? I've tried AMD with linux many times before and it never ran very well. That was with Ubuntu 14.04 a while back.
>>
>>52253934
don't bother if you have nvidia/amd gpu.

The only company that writes properly working GPU drivers for linux is intel
>>
>>52253934
I wouldn't bother. Linux in general with laptops has never been a kind experience. Especially with AMD/ati. The battery life is also still an issue with linux.
>>
>>52253873
>functionality
>usablity

And you can't combine that with aesthetics? Also - isn't aesthetics and usability going hand in hand?
>>
>>52253934

This>>52254006

Amd drivers are still beyond awful with linux. The open amd driver is no better. I've come to the conclusion if valve or some other big company doesn't fully get involved with the development of these drivers nothing will ever get better with them.
>>
>>52254041
>And you can't combine that with aesthetics?
you can, but it's time, money and effort which goes to waste.

trends change every 5 fucking years.
Yet you (as a software development company) have to employ and pay wages of useless fucks to make it "pretty" for god knows what purpose.
>>
>>52253934
You will get nowhere near the same performance that you get with windows 10. This is coming from a linux user. AMD/ati has never worked with linux properly. You'll get slow loading applications, screen tearing, shit performance in general.
>>
>>52253648
Agreed

>>52253873
It's been proven aesthetics are a factor in usability.
http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/CH01.pdf

>>52254117
Trends like flat design may pop up every 5 years or so but they usually hold some key that improve usability, legibility, or ease of understanding in the user.
To say software shouldn't have aesthetics in mind is fucking retarded, people want to enjoy the things they use.
>>
>>52254213
Seconding this post.
>>
The perfect DE would have the aesthetics of Gnome and the resources of KDE.
>>
>>52254213
>Trends like flat design may pop up every 5 years or so but they usually hold some key that improve usability, legibility, or ease of understanding in the user.
Yeah, especially in cases like Microsoft's metro, which improved literally EVERYONEs life didn't it?

Go fuck yourself you have no idea what you're talking about.
Computer is a tool, you don't choose tools based on what they look that, but how useful they will be for you.

Making a screwdriver black with orange accents doesn't improve it's usability, legibility or ease of understanding.
Making a fucking tractor silver with black stripes doesn't improve it's usability, legibility or ease of understanding.

They're not fucking toys.
>>
>>52254117
nojob detected
>>
>>52254358
time to stop gargling cocks friend.
>>
>>52253648
That...
Looks really fucking good
>>
>>52254342
No, Microsofts metro failed miserably. It also wasn't the be all and end all of the trend, it wasn't the beginning or the end of it. Flat design was a step away from over designed elements that were unnecessary, particularly on web interfaces.
Trying to design an entire OS completely flat was flat out retarded, they are too complex in terms of hierarchy and the range of interaction/tasks the user is completing. Skeuomorphic properties in elements like gradients and other relations to real life are pretty helpful when the user is confronted with a lot of information, but that said who needs 32 big chunky buttons getting in the way? Nobody!

Obviously a screwdrivers colour won't effect it's ease of use, but I don't know much software that has literally one use, one way to use it, and has natural affordances that already make your brain know exactly how to hold the thing before you even know what it is. It has literally one focus.

I literally just linked a peer reviewed study that proves my point, and can provide plenty more. I just feel like you're a pretty angry person, with no interest in changing your opinions regardless of being proven wrong, just looking to get angry on the internet over something that you clearly don't know a lot about.
>>
>>52254342
>Computer is a tool, you don't choose tools based on what they look that, but how useful they will be for you.
Also:
Yes, no shit.
But it looking better, can make it easier to use, because your brain/eyes can scan the interface faster, and use the tool more efficiently, as such making is more useful for you.
>>
>>52254342
>braindead faggot detected

>Making a screwdriver black with orange accents doesn't improve it's usability, legibility or ease of understanding.
That's because color, legibility (are you fucking stupid) have nothing to do with how a fucking screwdriver or tractor works

The whole point of a computer is to distribute and consume information, now if that information is unorganized and inconsistent how the fuck can you expect to use your computer to get work done as efficiently as possible? Aesthetics improve workflow and ease of use for SOME tools (such as your computer) but not all tools (such as a screwdriver). Good design is what makes a tool efficient. Aesthetics is a part of, but not limited to, what makes up good design. Good design is imperative to the function of a tool.

Now quit being a fucking sperg lord and apply yourself.
>>
>>52253934
Depends on how old that laptop is. If it has an HD4xxx GPU you're pretty much fucked as the drivers available for it either don't do 2D acceleration AT ALL, or don't work with newer Linux kernels.
This may very well be the reason it never ran very well for you.
>>
>>52254035
>The battery life is also still an issue with linux.
>Run Linux on laptop
>Get 6-7 hours of battery life
I think my laptop must have missed this memo. How do I fix ?
>>
baka (fools)
>>
ratpoison is the most aesthetic wm
>prove me wrong
you just can't
>>
>>52253667
I'll never understand why people don't like Gnome 3
>muh bloat
>gnome 2 was so much better
Any complaints that aren't completely autistic?
>>
File: wut.jpg (18KB, 235x156px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
18KB, 235x156px
>>52254117
>good design is a waste
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.