[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, /g/. I'm a sysadmin and I have been in charge of managing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: pm.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pm.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
Sup, /g/.

I'm a sysadmin and I have been in charge of managing a few software projects for the past few months.

My routine is like this, in the morning I talk to the developers , see which task they're going to work on during the day and which task they finished the day before, after that I update each project's post-its and start working on the project status report that I present weekly to my boss and customers.
We've been finishing about 1 sprint every 3 weeks, at the end of every sprint we have a test and a development version, which I forward directly to our customers, gather their feedback and then start creating the next sprint based on their feedback.

Is there any better way to do this? I feel like that this method just isn't working out.
I don't even know if I'm the best person suited for this since I'm not a developer
>>
... why is a sysadmin acting as a project manager?

if i was working at a company that did this i'd start interviewing at other places. skillsets don't necessarily transfer to literally any job in the company.
>>
>>52248473
QA here dude

We test stories as they are completed by dev, but before the end of sprint, that way when we ship at the end of sprint we know with some confidence that there is a assurance of quality.

At the begining of each sprint we estimate how long each story will take, and whether it will fit into the current sprint. If it is too big to fit into the sprint (dev+test) we break it into smaller 'chunks'/stories.

Any stories that do not fit into the sprint dont get released

Let me know if you want specifics
>>
>>52248481
>... why is a sysadmin acting as a project manager?

I've been in this company for a few years now, automated everything there is to automate and have literally everything under control, so my workload is very little, I can finish my sysadmin tasks in less than an hour, so I have lots of "free time", my bosses noticed this and that I'm very organized with documentation and that unlike most programmers I can actually speak with other humans, so they decided to try it out putting me in a manager position
>>
>>52248586
Does your team use any specific management tools to keep control of all this?
>>
>>52248699
JIRA: basically an electronic agile board. It also has a suite which includes various other Atlassian software, such as crucible for code reviews.
>>
File: 1357397499504.jpg (4KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1357397499504.jpg
4KB, 160x160px
THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE MEMES
>>
>>52248638
what i got is
>i'm bored with my job
>my bosses don't want to lay me off in case some of the stuff i've automated breaks
>why not dabble in stuff i'm not competent in???

why don't they just have you shadow the accountants or something?
>>
>>52248473
look up "scrum"

kinda similar to what you're doing
>>
File: 1388934393699.jpg (11KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
1388934393699.jpg
11KB, 250x240px
>>52249089
>>
>>52248825

We use JIRA as well, really good bit of software. My company loves it as well as it ticks their cloud meme box.
>>
>>52248473
I did an internship at a company that did the same shit with postits, too.

I feel like this is useless, and pressures you into making useless petty tasks just so you don't have nothing to say in the morning.

One of the seniors once had a task title "Contact help desk" or something, and no one gave weird looks.

It certainly has some advantages, for example maintaining communication inside of a team, but there probably are better ways than this.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.