[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Java books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: javalogo.png (39KB, 518x518px) Image search: [Google]
javalogo.png
39KB, 518x518px
So I want to learn Java. Yes I know Java sucks, etc. but whatever I want to learn it.

I am not totally new to programming having done some Python and JavaScript but other than knowing what a loop and variable are I am a total beginner.

What are the top few books for learning Java for a beginner?
>>
>>52246667
codeacedamy
Also java does not suck, you can't just make your own opinions.
>>
>>52246667
Don't fall for msmeacademy shillings, grab a legit book from Wiley or Apress
>>
File: 1430197623741.jpg (87KB, 953x960px) Image search: [Google]
1430197623741.jpg
87KB, 953x960px
>>52246683
>you can't just make your own opinions
>>
>>52246683
Yeah I do not think Java sucks. I was just getting inb4 the inbreds who did some uni come in and start saying how Java is totally fucking awful. I'm sure Java has some shitty parts but there are loads of jobs asking for it, the tools to develop with it seem decent and it is used for all kinds of stuff.
>>
>I don't know Java, please show me where to learn it
>It sucks
Java criticism in a nutshell
>>
>>52246667
Stay away from spring framework if you are not hardcore java programer already...

Just sayin'
>>
>>52246767
You also described c# and c++. Go with either of those instead
>>
>>52246816
C# is a possibility although there are more Java jobs in my area.

C++ seems great but apparently it is very hard for a beginner?
>>
>>52246767
there are a lot of jobs asking for it
because no sane programmer wants to work with it
>>
>>52246767
Java does suck, go look at comparisons of algorithms between languages.

Java has obesity in terms of LoC, its horribly verbose, for no good reason other than it makes managers happy because it looks like a lot of work has been done.
>>
>>52246890
All programming is hard for beginners. C++ just shoves the hard parts directly into your anus.
>>
>>52246667
head first java
>>
>>52246667
People are going to troll you and say code academy, but it is shit. Go to www.udacity.com
>>
>>52247347
/thread
>>
>>52247347
this.

also Java The Complete Reference is a pretty good book for the total beginner OP
>>
The latest of Daniel Liang's Java books. PDF's are easy to find since they're used in universities internationally.
>>
>>52246667
Unlearn Java hard way
>>
File: java4-front-500.jpg (95KB, 500x659px) Image search: [Google]
java4-front-500.jpg
95KB, 500x659px
>>52247347
this.
I went trough that book week ago. If you planning develop android apps, you can skip chapters 12, 13, 15 and 18.

And also opinion on Head First Design Patterns? I'm planning to go trough that book too.

I also read Effective Java, but that is advanced book.

Also, I'm planning to go trough "Thinking in Java." Anyone have experience with this book? Pic related.
>>
File: core-java-for-the-impatient.jpg (31KB, 185x270px) Image search: [Google]
core-java-for-the-impatient.jpg
31KB, 185x270px
I've been recommended this book as an entry point to Java if you have previous experience programming. Anyone here read it?
>>
>>52246948

Or, you know, it makes working with legacy code and large codebases much, much, easier.

I don't know why you fucking highschool kids feel the need to parrot shit like that as if it were gospel.

You're complaining about lines of code? Are you fuckin serious?

It's almost as if the virtues of a particular language and platform go beyond whether or not the programmer is forced to type a small percentage more in additional syntax (and in practice, almost no extra, since it's handled by the IDE).

The signal to noise ratio here is atrocious.
>>
David Eck's Introduction to Programming Using Java is freely available online, and used as a number of different university's Java text.
>>
>>52246667
Java doesn't suck mate. The last thing you want to do is base your opinion on the /g/ hive mind. 90% of which doesn't actually know that much about programming, but rather spends most of their time ricing Arch Linux and watching moe anime.
>>
File: Java.png (31KB, 735x606px) Image search: [Google]
Java.png
31KB, 735x606px
Chose one idea, something to crate one project and pull through with it even if it takes months.
That's how you learn a language.

If you want to do web development look into Spring Boot.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.