[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microsoft's 200 million 'Windows 10' 'devices'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/05/microsoft_200_million_windows_10_devices/

>Microsoft has kicked off the New Year – and the run-up to the annual CES hypemare in Las Vegas – with the latest figures on Windows 10 adoption, claiming that over 200 million devices now run the operating system.

>As of today, there are more than 200 million monthly active devices around the world running Windows 10," enthused Yusuf Mehdi, vice president of Windows and Devices. "In fact, Windows 10 continues to be on the fastest growth trajectory of any version of Windows – ever – outpacing Windows 7 by nearly 140 per cent and Windows 8 by nearly 400 per cent."

>Poor Windows 8.

>Over seven eighths of Windows 10 users are consumers, we're told, although the new operating system has 22 million enterprise and educational users. In all, 76 per cent of Microsoft's corporate customers are trying out Windows 10 pilot schemes for their businesses.

>More than 40 per cent of that Windows 10 user base logged on after November, he said. In December, Microsoft customers spent 11 billion hours using Windows 10 devices, which tells you a lot about how much usage data is being phoned home to Redmond's telemetry servers.

>Other stats released on Monday include 44.5 billion minutes spent using Microsoft's Edge browser (formerly known as Spartan), 82 billion photos viewed on the new OS, and 2.5 billion questions asked of its Cortana digital assistant.
>>
... 2/2:

>Sounds good, doesn't it? Maybe Redmond will ease off on the nagging popups reminding Windows 7 and 8 users that they can upgrade – and WILL upgrade unless they are careful. But it's worth diving a little deeper into the figures.

>For a start these figures don't just apply to PCs. While sales of PCs are steady, Microsoft has had a lot of success with its Surface 3 hardware, and Surface 4 looks to continue that trend, meaning a lot more standard PC users getting onboard with Windows 10.

>But Redmond has confirmed to El Reg that these figures also include users of Microsoft's Lumia smartphones, as well as Xbox One users who got the November kernel update. This helps bump up the figures in more ways than one – and the next hit will come if Microsoft ever sorts out an upgrade for Windows Phone 8 devices to the new OS.

>On the smartphone side, the increase in Win10 usage is marginal – very few people are using Windows 10 phones, although numbers are rising slowly. But Xboxes are selling very well, even if most gamers just want them to run Fallout 4 rather than explore the wonders of Edge and Cortana.

>Redmond declined to break down the figures by device or platform. ®

nice number padding, microshit
>>
>>52245324
>explore the wonders of Edge and Cortana.

spoken like an indoctrinated plebeian.
>>
I wouldn't exactly call xbox1 and wp sales padding, more like paper wrap...
>>
>>52245399
Pretty much this. If it's 200 million devices, Xboxes are 10 million of that at the most and with the Lumias were talking about a niche of a niche that are running Windows 10 on it, most of those are still on 8.
>>
>Computer sales
FUCKEN NORMIES
>>
File: 6e3.png (305KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
6e3.png
305KB, 600x600px
>tfw using the best normie device today
Thanks, microsoft.
>>
>>52245316
Regardless, I used it and its shit. Case closed.

The statistics also point out that majority of the world is full of tech inept retards.
>>
>82 billion photos viewed on the new OS
I wonder how many Microsoft saved for themselves.
>>
>which tells you a lot about how much usage data is being phoned home to Redmond's telemetry servers.

PANIC
>>
File: 1451728488101.jpg (35KB, 486x328px) Image search: [Google]
1451728488101.jpg
35KB, 486x328px
>>52245474
You didn't even try to ask the basic question, how do they know 82billion photos were viewed? Where are they getting these numbers?

It only proves M$ has direct access to every Windows 10 PC and can extract complete list of files stored on your drives. They know everything about you.
>>
>year of the linux desktop
>>
Damage control on a corporate level. They'll do anything to keep Windows 10 in the headlines so long as it drowns out anything voicing concerns over privacy and spying.

>30 million Indians are going to buy a $20 Windows phone
>and....uhh xboxes, guys. Those totally count
>we even made Windows 10 totally free to OEMs to put on tablets 10" and under
>intel is even starting up contra revenue again to give Atom chips to cheap shit Chinese vendors to spread Windows

>LOOK HOW SUCCESSFUL WINDOWS 10 IS GUYS, EVERYONE LOVES IT, ITS SO POPULAR, CORTANA IS TOTALLY GREAT WE PROMISE
>>
>>52245468
it's also filled with retards who cant even describe a turing machine or the fundamental axiom of the halting problem.

I MEAN THIS IS SOME
BASIC SHIT
, RIGHT? It's like people don't even study lambda calculus before trying to program anymore.
>>
>>52245502
I poorly implied it. And yeah, it looks like they were so desperate to show how great 10 is they shed a little more light on their spying.

I guess it's time to start renaming files after ISIS jihad attack plans lol.
>>
>>52245518
Talk about privacy and telemetry to a normal person and they are clueless, they don't care. But their actions are affecting those that do.

When a swarm of normies adopt a system, it becomes mainstream, developers write software for that and marginalize other platforms like Linux. Manufacturers sign under table deals with M$ to preload Windows 10 on all Laptops with locked bios, meaning I can't purchase a clean FreeDOS laptop.

Just look at the implications.
>>
>>52245558
yes, jimmy, we know. sheeple. we get it.
>>
To be fair, they said "devices" not "PCs".

It'd be like getting mad if Google published the number of devices running Android there are and included TVs, Chromecasts and other non-phones/tablets in it.
>>
>>52245558
>and marginalize other platforms like Linux
No, Linux and the toxic Linux community are marginalising Linux, as evidenced by windows 10 and 8 being awful and Linux still not gaining market share. People would much rather buy a mac than install Linux.
>>
>>52245641
>Linux still not gaining market share
It did but instead of desktops, it captured mobile market through Android and ChromeOS.

Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity8/Mir is spectacular and the most polished OS in the market. The habits of relying on Windows for decades will not break over night but people are slowly leaning towards the alternatives.
>>
>>52245372
Cortana is bretty gudd tho.
>>
>>52245316
>Microsoft's 200 million 'Windows 10' 'devices'
>include Lumias, Xboxes

Okay. So 180 Million PC's are running Win10. Great news for Microsoft Investors. Top thread.
>>
>>52245661
>The habits of relying on Windows for decades will not break over night but people are slowly leaning towards the alternatives.
And they still won't turn GNU/Linux. Also, good job with the "Hurrdurr android is Linux" point, that one's real original.

Linux can look as polished as it wants but it still has several extreme usability problems. This wouldn't be an issue if support was decent but you're left relying on the community, which is made up of poisonous, autistic assholes telling you to get back to windows.
>>
Well, 3 billion devices run java...
>>
>>52245468
>>52245502
>Reading through terms of service.
>"Oh, also we'll just keep a count of how many pictures you take. Sall gudd nigga."

Knowing a number does not determine the intimacy of the spying. They don't need a copy of the full file for each picture taken to know that number.

Sony knows how many times their users press the share button on the DS4 controllers. Aren't you going to have a fucking fit about that?
>>
that' guy looks familiar, what's he known for?
>>
>>52245751
>Google search leads to the common Ubuntu forums and wiki with very helpful people who have resolved every problem I could think of.
Actually, that's one of the toxic places I had in mind. Other examples include the arch forums, debian forums and pretty much any other place where Linux users gather.
>Being lazy is not an excuse.
Oh, here we go. Way to prove how great the Linux community is.
>That is still nothing compared to locating the exact HP drivers for my laptop which has 3 variations with different hardware mix. Turns out they didn't release 7 or 8.1 drivers, only 8 and I can only use HP drivers because the official Intel and Realtek drivers will not work as the laptop hardware is modified by HP.
Ignoring the fact that windows 8 drivers work on 8.1 and indeed 10 and that HP has an auto identify tool that will let you skip past that whole searching part, your point boils down to
>I know I'm doing something wrong but someone else is doing something else wrong!
That's weak and childish.
>>
>>52245502
>how do they know 82billion photos were viewed?

There was a video showing that every time you open a picture windows 10 sends some data to Microsoft.

I can't find it now, I think it was unlisted on youtube. Someone on /g/ should have it.
>>
>CEO
>Satya Nadella

>vice president of Windows and Devices
>Yusuf Mehdi
How the mighty have fallen...

P O O
O
O

I N
N

L O O
O
O
>>
>windows 10 64bit almost take over windows 7 64bit in steam
WEW
>>
>>52245734
angry video game nerd

he reviews old shitty games
>>
>>52245946
DESIGNATED
>>
>>52245316
>Yusuf Mehdi
>president of Windows and Devices
>>
>wrong numbers
>microsoft marketing-boss going on record with saying they are positively forcing people to upgrade and they won't make prisoners, and their attempts at forcing will be more aggressive in the future
>same marketing-drone goes on record later calling windows 7 insecure and virus-infested
microsoft-status: panic! worry! scared!
>>
>>52245684
>Great news for Microsoft Investors.
how's that good news for shareholders, when like 99% of those were free upgrades?
>>
>>52246034
All those people can now buy the full version of Windows 10 Solitaire
>>
>>52245684
>Great news for Microsoft Investors.
Well, that's exactly what this is meant to be.
>>52246034
Shows that the market is still receptive new products and positive towards the Microsoft brand. Not everything needs to have a direct impact on their bottom line but I suspect it still has significant influence on it.
>>
>>52245641
>the toxic Linux community
/g/ is not representative of the Linux community. I'm not sure why people seem to think it is.
>>
>>52245316
>They know how many pictures you've looked at
>They know for how long you used the browser

So it wasn't bullshit, if this is what they release god knows what they got on everyone using win10
>>
>>52246135
See >>52245810
>>
>>52245316
>Lumias

Which ones because like 3 models have been given the update.

STILL WAITING ON MINE.
>>
>>52246221
>3 models have been given the update.
Which are they? Far as I understood, nothing is getting an update until sometime in 2016. It's been delayed for far too long.
>>
>>52245316
For me, only the LTSB versions of 10 are bearable.
Good riddance to that shitty Microsoft Store.
Fuck that horrible schizoid interface that they kept from 8, however.
>>
300 mil pc's sell this year and microsoft only has 200 mil units using widows 10 including xboxone's and a damn smart phone...

thats fucking pathetic.

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2015/07/08/windows-10-no-help-to-pc-sales-this-year-gartner-says/

windows 7 still the majority market share holder
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
>>
>>52245717
>Sony knows how many times their users press the share button on the DS4 controllers. Aren't you going to have a fucking fit about that?
no, because pressing that very obviously and deliberately sends information to sony

viewing a picture on your pc shouldn't send anything, or be logged anywhere
>>
>>52246425
>300 mil pc's sell this year
you mean last year? because 300 million in 5 days is pretty impressive
>>
>>52245717
>>52245810
POO
O
O
>>
>>52245946
jesus fucking christ MS...
no wonder Win10 is a trainwreck
>>
>>52245316
There's an old adage that's fairly appropriate.

>The numbers don't lie, that's where the statisticians come in.
>>
File: shill.png (1MB, 1853x1000px) Image search: [Google]
shill.png
1MB, 1853x1000px
>>
>>52245316

Hope they now finally get rid of this annoying popup. Or add a "Don't care, will never update" button.
>>
>>52247822
>People using speshul snowflake computers in public
>calling other people insecure
Do these people ever realize that brand loyalty is a mental problem, and that they're more retarded than the confused people around them? Does anyone know how spergy it is to take out a phone/laptop at the dinner table when you're not a kid anymore?
>>
>defending a photo viewer that phones home
Windows users deserve anything they get
>>
>>52247822
post ass pic
>>
File: 1451027193513.jpg (2MB, 2720x2863px) Image search: [Google]
1451027193513.jpg
2MB, 2720x2863px
>>52247822
kek another one
>>
File: 1449801123527.png (518KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
1449801123527.png
518KB, 1131x707px
>>
>>52245316
I'm one of the 200,000,000. For my normie use, I think it's better than 7. If it were to cost money, it definitely wouldn't be worth the "upgrade," but for free, it's okay.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.