[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this idiot constantly losing his data? What's the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10

File: t.png (433KB, 648x443px) Image search: [Google]
t.png
433KB, 648x443px
Why is this idiot constantly losing his data? What's the point of using RAID?
>>
>>52243066
RAID is outdated

Besides that his motherboard died or something
>>
>>52243066
Linus is now reality tv

he is doing that shit for the views
>>
why do idiots keep watching his videos and making money for him ?

>he loses data so that he can shill new products
he is to tech what dr.oz is to medicine.
>>
>>52243066
He's probably using raid improperly (IE. anything but a RAID 10 equivalent and no hot spares.) also hardware dependent raid
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>52243066
because he's impulsive. it's a serious problem for many individuals. such a pity.
>>
>>52243066
kek
>RAID
>not TIERing
poorfag, not mentioning the fact he was cucked by intel to fuck the array up
>>
>>52243066
>idiot
>literally given free cool shit to fuck around with

He aint an idiot bruh. He is an entertainer with a decent knowledge of tech. He knows exactly what he is doing when he makes these videos.
>>
>>52243066
should have Zfs
>>
>>52243066
So I found the video and the fuck was using what amounts to a 3 way raid 5+0
He was literally asking to lose data.
>>
>>52243107
No ads no money
>>
>>52243066
at this point im not even sure if you want to laugh on him or if you are their marketing people
>>
He used literally the stupidest fucking RAID setup possible.
Like, I actually can't fucking believe it's so bad.

Not only that, but all their data is just jammed into fucking user folders instead of a properly organized content management system.

Jesus christ.
>>
File: 1403293622474.gif (378KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1403293622474.gif
378KB, 500x500px
>>52243118
>>52243768
>>52243710

I use a 3-disk raid 5, am i fucked?
>>
>>52243893
How big are the member disks?
>>
>>52243768
RAID is a meme made by storage drive manufacturers.
>>
>>52243932
Get out.
>>
>>52243066
He's probably using Raid 0 instead of any of the other mirroring raids.
>>
>>52243893
No, you're probably fine. As long as you have, y'know, actual backups.

Linus was using three RAID 5 arrays of eight 1TB SSDs.
That in itself is stupid, but it gets worse.
He then used software striping in Windows to pool the three arrays together to form a single 24GB software array.

That means that if any one of the three arrays failed, everything would be lost.

And he had no backups.

What a fucking dumbass.
>>
>>52243705
Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one in /G/ who doesn't hate linus
>>
>>52243893
I can't tell you how fucked you are without knowing how big the drives are but come on 1 more drive and you can do raid 10, which is safer AND faster than 5 or 6
>>
>>52243066
Probably just wants free shit from some companies
>>
>>52243710
I believe he needed the speed to have up to 10 people editing video at the same time.
>>
>using raid 10 when our lord and savior raid 50 exists
Enjoy spending more on rackspace and 120v rails.
>>
I enjoyed their (biased) junkyard wars videos which I stumbled on but every other fucking video is "we need to build these machines to render 1500 videos a day".

Yeah, no thanks le gay earring renderman.
>>
>>52244001
>I believe he needed the speed to have up to 10 people editing video at the same time.
A raid 10 would have been safer and faster he just didn't want to spend the extra money on drives. There's no excuse for using hardware raid. there's not excuse for using windows as a file server.
There's no excuse for not teiring your god damn data, I guarantee he doesn't need SSD speeds for everything they are doing, anything that isn't actively being used can sit on platter drives. Ready to use it? okay move or copy it to the fast storage to do your work.
This happend cause he was trying to do both and not spend a lot of money.
You just can't do that.

pick 2:
Cheap
Reliable
Fast

Oh also there's no excuse for not making real backups, A backup is not something you do AFTER you have a failure. in the video I heard him say "the server was the backup." NO NO NO NO.

The funny thing is I remember when they did the video about that system and I was like yeah that's going to fail, mind you it didn't fail the way I expected but they should really re-build it into something else.
>>
>>52244005
>I don't care about data integrity at all.
>>
>>52244159
Nonsense. The only reason to deploy a raid 10 is if you've got a gaggle of ssds and a workload that demands the superior write speeds.
You're pissing away money otherwise.
>>
File: 1451531628989.jpg (14KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1451531628989.jpg
14KB, 255x255px
>>52244222
>>
>>52244288
Tell me more about the risk of a double disk failure in a four disk raid 5 senpai~
>>
24 Kingston SSD's
>no backup

Hosts a tech show
>has no brain for tech
>>
>>52243972
Oh wow.
>>
>>52244643
>has no brain for tech
That's my biggest problem with Linus, I don't care that he constantly shills but at least know what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1352748837641.gif (2MB, 187x155px) Image search: [Google]
1352748837641.gif
2MB, 187x155px
>>52243066
>>
File: 1438793424894.jpg (14KB, 278x278px) Image search: [Google]
1438793424894.jpg
14KB, 278x278px
>>52243972
>software RAID 0 on groups of disks set up as a RAID 5
>one of the RAID 5 groups somehow contained only 2 disks
I don't even
>>
why is hardware RAID bad?
>>
>>52244785
It isn't, those are just people parroting that because they can't afford a good RAID card.
>>
>>52244785
It's not. One of the gripes is compatibility with and reliance on RAID controllers.
>>
>>52244831
>>52244785
There are new and better options than RAID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuEgepZG_8
>>
>>52244785
It has the potential to be better by design, but often ends up being worse and uselessly expensive for you average user.
>>
>>52243066
>What's the point of using RAID?
RAID is for availability. It's not a backup.
>>
- linus fucking up by not having enterprise level storage array where everything is redundant

- three raid 5 into one stripe, retarded

- not being able to just swap failed HW for a new one

- all the false emotions, GEEZUS
>>
Everyone always fails to mention he has since built a proper off-site backup server, he has been backing it up on another server, although at the time of the crash he was in the very early stages of doing the first back up, and most importantly, Linus was able to recover all his data. People act like he lost everything when he didn't lose shit.
>>
>>52243893
>I use a 3-disk raid 5, am i fucked?
Since you only use it to store silly animu you're probably good to go, your data is useless anyway.
>>
>>52243066
He knows full well he should be using more reliable RAID configurations.

But 90% of what he does is "because we can, not because we should"

He put too much faith in hardware reliability and let his obsession for making it as fast as possible get in the way of fault tolerance.

He's not an idiot for losing his data. He'll be an idiot if he does the same thing again.
>>
>>52245062
>He knows full well he should be using more reliable RAID configurations.
I actually doubt this, Linus is Tech Lite. He's like that one kid in the family who's slightly better with computers than the rest of the family. Relative to the average person he knows stuff but relative to someone in his field he's quite amateurish.
>>
>>52245137
Oh I'm quite sure someone in the field of enterprise server grade RAID configurations would look at him as an amateur.

But at the same time I'm sure the thought of something a bit more reliable at least crossed his mind before he decided to build in favor of speed over reliability. He likely figured it would all be upgraded before component reliability came into play given how often he gets new hardware.
>>
>>52245191
I doubt Linus even knows what XOR or how it factors into RAID-5.
>>
>>52243972
he was literally in the process of backing up that new server when it failed, from my eyes it seems just like bad luck more than anything
>>
Oh shit, anon, our RAID failed. Rebuild the drive before we lose another drive!
RA_D - 30
_IVE - 28
SUC_ - 13
_HIT - 06
>>
His motherboard got corrupted and fed nonsense data on one of the arrays.
>>
>>52243066

>Watching "tech tubers"

What are you, 12?
>>
>>52245320
He only started the backup when the server started playing up.

That's NOT the right fucking thing to do.
>>
>>52243066
>ALL OUT DATA IS GONE :*-(
next week
>JK ITS NOT GONE, THEY FIXED IT ;-D THIS IS NOT A PAID AD FOR THE DATA RECOVERY CENTER ;-D
>>
>>52243920
8"
>>
>>52245419
oh really? why the fuck even, thats asking for it to fail
>>
Linus is the equivalent of Top Gear for tech; i.e. meant for entertainment, not education.

Except he isn't funny at all.
>>
>>52244643

RAID is not a backup.
>>
>>52244981
yeah his crew was like not giving a fuck if it was broken or not lol
i guess with all the $$ they're raking I wouldnt too haha
>>
>>52244892
Nice vid, i watched it all
why cant we have less retared linus with somone who have personality and is not shilling so hard with ms and games
I am sure that his new multiple gayming ring would be better with kvm xen
>>
>>52245419
he just finished building the backup server.
>>
>>52245617
A Wendell is a rare creature rarely seen in the daylight, also I think the guys at tek syndicate have all been friends for years
>>
>>52245389
And this is why you NEVER use onboard shitty raid.

Either go softraid (or better use something other than standard raid levels if you're going software) or a real hardware raid card.

NEVER use bullshit like 'Intel Matrix RAID'
>>
>>52245735
He was running 3 LSI raid cards.
>>
If I'm able to use a CRON job to rsync my most important files to another disk, why a millionaire shill can't?
>>
>>52245735
isn't he running dedicated raid card ?
>>
>>52245791
Becuase it's staged so he can another few videos on data recovery.

The a new set of videos showing a new 'preferred' way to do storage that will favor a particular vendor.
>>
>>52243972
He had a backup but it was old. Right at the beginning he said "in the middle of making a new backup".

Yes, his backup scheme was inadequate. From what I can determine the setup could have handled effectively losing one drive from each array without loss of data, but loss of multiple drives from a single array was not taken into account.

In the end the drives were not lost, the motherboard shat the bed resulting in bad data being sent to the RAID controllers probably corrupting the file systems before the RAID card shat itself completely and stopped being able to communicate with the drives.

File systems can be restored. That's probably the majority of what the file recovery guys did along with rebuilding the arrays correctly so that data could be taken off them again.
>>
>>52245705
goth, traps in IT being legit? never in a worst dream
>>
File: 2093.jpg (33KB, 492x380px) Image search: [Google]
2093.jpg
33KB, 492x380px
raid1 here, w/o swaps and buckups, how long until everthing fucks up?
>>
File: lightscribe.png (705KB, 963x547px) Image search: [Google]
lightscribe.png
705KB, 963x547px
How can you hate a guy who keeps an optical drive because it has Lightscribe?
>>
>>52245985
when both drives die at the same time
or one drive fails, and you won't notice
until the second one dies also
>>
>>52246037
yeah i know ;p, i alsoknow that mdadm has option to send email if one drive break but didnt manage to turn it on lol
>>
>>52244001
>give editors fancy Intel nvme SSDs (and shill for Intel at the same time)
>let editors back up their shit to a proper server
Why didn't he do that?
>>
>>52244067
Also isn't "rendering" technically the wrong terminology?

I thought rendering = 3D --> 2D
>>
>>52246037
I had both my drives fail once. That was fun, one of them lost its file system which I managed to restore and get most of my data off it, the other was pretty much just dead.

But they were PATA drives.

I should get around to backing up my server. Once I buy a couple of 4TB drives.
>>
hurr durr we can't swap in a new mobo, retarded cunts
`- using single point of failure HW
>>
ITT: jealousy
>>
>>52243118
he didnt lose any data, just mobo/controller fk up

he did say he had 3 x raid 10, but if that 3 drives died all data was lost
>>
>>52246101
>hurr durr swapping in a new mobo after the drives have already suffered file system corruption
>>
>>52246187
data would be recreated by again functioning raid controllers, that's what the RAID is about
>>
>Linus shills so much he's able to build a $30000 pc that has 2 cpus, 7 gpus, and water cooling just to see if it can support 7 different users simultaneously
>>
>>52246239
Except it wouldn't in this case because having three drives with corrupted file systems on a single array would be equivalent to having three lost drives as far as the RAID controllers are concerned.

They wouldn't have been able to rebuild on their own.

Replacing the morbo wouldn't have magically restored everything.
>>
>>52246088
"rendering" is a very common term for exporting the final result in video editors

since you have not just video, but also videos overlapping and other effects (like fading in and out), text elements, graphics elements
>>
>RAID 5 consists of block-level striping with distributed parity. Unlike RAID 4, parity information is distributed among the drives, requiring all drives but one to be present to operate. Upon failure of a single drive, subsequent reads can be calculated from the distributed parity such that no data is lost.

He effectively had three hardware RAIDs and one software RAID going on.

Three RAID 5s, each with eight drives. These would have appeared as three drives to Windows.
These three drives were then assembled in a RAID 0.

Each of the RAID 5s could have lost a single drive without harming the overall array.
>>
>>52246269
the RAID is not about the fucking filesystem, the controllers don't have a clue about file systems,
the controllers sole purpose is to rebuild the RAID array when it fails, if the filesystem fails this is OS / software related
>>
>>52246269
if the filesystem got corrupted I doubt anyone could easily recover it as they did in the video
>>
>>52243066
22:57 minutes ad. With lots of placement marketing
>>
>>52246252
The parts he uses for those build videos are always borrowed from the store.
He always takes the computers apart after he's done with them.
>>
>>52243972
you don't think he did it for a video piece? I'm almost certain it was all staged to fail to generate content for a video and sponsor spot
>>
Literally who?
>>
>>52246409
and the filesystem didn't get corrupted because the RAID 5 volumes were recreated successfully
>>
>>52246409
Modern filesystems actually store backups of themselves in different portions of the drive so that if such a thing occurs you can run a utility to locate a backup of the filesystem and restore it.
>>
>>52243066
RAID is not a backup scheme. He explains the difference in one his vids.
>>
>>52246497
The inventor of the first journaling file system apparently.
>>
>>52245480
Top Gear isn't funny either, dipshit.
>>
File: smug_anime_face_063.png (616KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
smug_anime_face_063.png
616KB, 1280x722px
>this fag spends/gets from shilling partners literally thousands of dollars for fancy storage solutions
>it fails within months

>I use a seagate harddisk I scraped from an old laptop 4 years ago and put into an external case
>it still works
>mfw
>>
>>52246730
I bet you don't use your hardware anywhere near to the level that server was being used though.
>>
>>52246820
If I did I sure as shit wouldn't use such a fucking atrocious storage configuration.
And I wouldn't put the server into a production environment without setting up an active backup system first.

These guys deal with tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear passing through their hands each year, and when asked about backups, Linus's response was "THIS SERVER IS THE BACKUP". How is your primary filestore that you work from a fucking backup?
>>
>>52246969
y-you are not me
>>
>>52246977
I just said what you should've said.
I got your back, bro.
>>
>>52246969
Not the point though. The guy was claiming how his hard drive has lasted years and their server broke in months.

You can't compare the two cases when his HDD is connected every once in a while but their server is running 24/7 and getting smashed most days.
>>
>>52246729
>Top Gear isn't funny
Not now that jezza is gone.
>>
>>52247016
True, true.
Linus is still a fucking moron though.
>>
this is a man who has his server setup in a bathroom with the cables in the sink and the tap dripping on them.
>>
>>52245380
Rebuilt!
RAID
FIVE
SUCK
SHIT
>>
>>52246729
>Top Gear isn't funny
woah, no reason to be rude man
>>
>>52247035
It was never good.
>>
>>52245320
Nah he is still a retard

>no off site backup at all
>have been moved into the new office for MONTHS

that shit is inexcusable in any professional company and if he had a senior he should be fired for that alone.
>>
he loses data because he mostly uses kingston trashcan ssds and seagate clickety-click hdds
>>
Using Windows for disk management
Not using ZFS

I find it hard not to think that he does this shit just for the lols. He should know better, but maybe he doesn't. It's a fucking clownfiesta every time he makes a video that's not a review of a GPU/CPU/whatever.
>>
>>52244891
I've actually been told horror stories of RAID cards that lasted years, and when they finally failed my professor who was working at a big company at the time had to search high and low for the same one that had been off the market for years.
>>
>>52245320
>>52245380
I'm pretty sure a second disk is supposed to fail every time you try to rebuild with a new parity disk. It seems to always happen anyway.

Stick to at least double parity and use a proper fs.
>>
>>52247268
>2016
>still using zfs
Btrfs is ready senpai.
>>
>>52243066
a RAID is good until the LSI controller fails (which in this case, it did)
>>
schadenfreude. oh, i'm laffing
>>
>>52247423
when you replace controller, raid will be rebuilt
>>
File: jesus joggers.png (4MB, 2208x1242px) Image search: [Google]
jesus joggers.png
4MB, 2208x1242px
>>52243066 Hey OP, This >>52243705

exactly. i would gladly watch him make an ass of himself day after day, the man has no pride and doesn't mind getting filmed for it. he's an actor first and a cable monkey second, and if you can't realize that, re-evaluate your brain.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.