[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats does /g/ think about Telegram?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

File: td_logo.png (8KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
td_logo.png
8KB, 256x256px
Whats does /g/ think about Telegram?
>>
/g/ is a board, not a person, and therefore /g/ doesn't think.
>>
it's not secure by default, even though implying so

don't use it

use Signal
>>
>>52232303
>Not end-to-end encrypted by default, nor in groups
>Not IND-CCA secure
>Great feature set and availability
Best option I know of
>>
>>52232303
It's a german jew botnet built by a russian faggot who almost got executed by the KGB
>>
>>52232372
what do you have against jews fucking nazi?
>>
botnet
>>
>>52232412
SIEG HEIL
>>
>>52232324
Why use Signal?

>>52232315
Stop this retarded meme, /g/ is also a community
>>
The only time I use it is for uni, everyone there seems to use it. All my friends and family use Whatsapp. Overall I prefer Telegram.
>>
>>52232431
DAS HEISST HEIL HITLER!
>>
Its the best solution for regular messaging (Really, everything works great, file transfers, bots, sync between all kind of different devices, desktop and web clients of which all are open-source and even the user-base is quite big at this point).

It sucks as a secure messenger, the encrypted chats are too cumbersome mainly cause they don't allow multiple endpoints, there's no encrypted group chats and the crypto itself isn't exactly trustworthy.
>>
>>52232324
libresignal for non-gapps bs.
>>
>>52232412
Shut up like lover.
>>
>>52232444
it's secure
>>
>>52232731
no, because they think they have to use their own faulty encryption method just to be different
>>
>>52232303
Way better than whatsapp, I don't even care about the secure option, it's thought for normies who don't want mommy to catch them
>>
>>52232784
it's been audited by experts who were very positive, what's the problem
>>
Don't use Telegram, it sucks. Use Signal instead.

Signal has a solid cryptographic protocol, is fully open-source, and comes Snowden-approved. https://twitter.com/snowden/status/661313394906161152 It's not perfect (needing a phone; and needing gapps or a Google Cloud Messaging alternative on Android), but it is the best we've got right now.

Meanwhile, Telegram saves plaintext of everything but 'secret chats' (which aren't by default, are batshit-insane wonky custom crypto, and aren't MITM-proof) to servers: https://twitter.com/snowden/status/678271881242374144 https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/666672652103348224 https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/554285607036674048

Yet we keep seeing these threads (and even with the same OP as last time). Telegram must have a very good PR department... paid shills? I wonder who'd have a vested interest in persuading people to use weak/non-existent crypto in 'secure' messengers?

Durov, if you actually do mean well, fix Telegram - by which we mean, use Signal's protocol, Axolotl instead of your own garbage, actually use end-to-end encryption everywhere, and open the server source, and stop advertising it until it's actually secure. But in the absence of that, I can only assume bad faith.

Maybe I should keep this reply as pasta for the next time this comes around.
>>
>>52232938
this is a good post, keep it indeed
>>
>>52232303
>>52232324
Both of these require your phone number to work, therefore they're both shit.

Also, Signal doesn't have proper multiplatform support and relies on Google services.
>>
>>52232938
>but it is the best we've got right now

Not even close. Unless you mean "the best if you want something for using on your phone only". Then maybe I could agree, but it's a stretch.

Why the fuck should internet messaging be tied to your phone? This is beyond stupid.
>>
or just use fucking emails with gpg
you fucking kids and your dumb app bullshits
sm.h tBh f.ams
>>
>>52232925
http://www.cryptofails.com/post/70546720222/telegrams-cryptanalysis-contest
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6913456
http://unhandledexpression.com/2013/12/17/telegram-stand-back-we-know-maths/
>>
>>52232982
I think the phone is to check the guys on your contact list which also have Telegram, think that it was originally a whatsapp alternative

>>52232938
I am not the same OP as other times, I just wanted to know an opinion. I have been trying Slack, Line and Telegram these days
>>
>>52232303
bineeth pls go
>>
Telegram helps dictatorships like Egypt find users that is against the Egyptian government. Egypt has jailed tons of users through the information they have gotten from Telegram. It is safer to use Twitter, the Egyptian government have a harder time finding people who post anti-government sentiments on Twitter.
>>
>>52233030
Telegram also requires a phone, as far as I understand it.

But I agree that we should class them both as "phone messengers", intended to be SMS-replacements - that's how a lot of normies do most of their messaging (when they don't use Facebook Messenger - and I have talked with the engineer at Facebook who set up their facebookcorewwwi.onion service about the possibility of using Axolotl in the future).

It would be very beneficial if Signal could be decoupled from that requirement - both for desktops and for tablets (finally, it'd be fully Skype-killing!). There's a Signal desktop client in beta which works as a Chrome extension, if you have an Android phone. I have it. It's a start and it works, but it's really only a start.

But then, it would also be beneficial if we had better metadata protection for messengers - because that is also a very important problem (people are literally targeted for murder via communication metadata!) - and that is one neither Signal, Threema or Tox solve.

Secure messaging in the presence of global active attackers is an open research problem, and there are no very impressive comprehensive solutions yet. Ricochet and Pond are quite good in their own ways, but they still have shortcomings.

But if someone's using Telegram, or Kik, or LINE (sticker support looks like it's coming soon?), or Viber, any of those other phone messengers that are out there, of course SMS right now, then Signal would be a much better choice for them. It would also be a better choice than WhatsApp or iMessage. That's something we can improve today, for ourselves, and the less technically-literate. We can help people make choices that suck less, while we prepare something that doesn't suck at all.
>>
>>52232303
Signal is a great, secure option until someone makes the mythical, secure, fully anonymous, Google-free, hentai emoji messenger for /g/.
>>
>>52233437
Tox comes closest to that, though.
>>
Why is nobody mentioning XMPP? It's as cross platform and secure (with ORT or alternatives) as it gets.

I've never heard of signal, so I'm a bit biased, but what I heard from within this thread, it seems cumbersome, since it requires gapps, and isn't free to be implemented by anyone.
>>
>>52232938
No one here is recommending Telegram for security reasons, but features
>>
>>52233985
beccause its not really secure
>>
>>52233666
>I've never heard of signal, so I'm a bit biased

Highly recommended by Snowden.
>>
>>52232303
botnet

>>52232324
also a botnet

>>52233586
Tox is an un-audited piece of shit made by amateurs

Just use Jitsi
>>
Pretty ebun
>>
>>52232547
>>52232982
and the calls still don't work with libresignal or even with libresignal-websockets without fapps because moxie is a cunt
>>
>>52233437
Not using Google does not require mythical ability, but intentionally using Google for your application/service requires proactive malice/stupidity of arguably mythical proportions.
>>
>>52233091
Anon was talking about Signal being secure.
You're right though, Telegram is retarded for rolling their own crypto that has repeatedly been broken.
>>
Test
>>
>>52235598
>Telegram is retarded for rolling their own crypto that has repeatedly been broken.
Citation for anything other than a theoretical attack?

>shilling for Signal
fuck off google/moxie shills
>>
>demands that you have a phone to use
Dropped
>>
>>52235640
>MUH TELEGRAM IS SECURE OMG
No. It's not.
https://blog.zimperium.com/telegram-hack/
https://blog.thijsalkema.de/blog/2014/04/02/breaking-half-of-the-telegram-contest/

Also, I'm not shilling for Signal. You should still use it instead of your regular Messaging app because it succesfully encrypts the content and leaves only metadata for attackers to intercept.
>>
>>52235711
>I'm not shilling for Signal. You should still use it instead of your regular Messaging app

Signal fucking requires a botnet to run
>>
>>52235756
>>52235756
No it doesn't. Hasn't been reliant on Google for a long time now.
And there's even a fork that is available on f-droid called libresignal.
>>
>using cellphone instant messengers
>2016
When will the underaged crowd return to school?
>>
>>52235797
>https://github.com/WhisperSystems/Signal-Desktop

Their dekstop client depends on THE botnet
>>
>>52235831
Yes, but Signal does not. Stop moving goal posts.
>>
>>52235852
>mobile apps
>iOS
>Android
>literaly requires botnet OSs to run
>>
>>52233666
only one making sense in this thread, do your apps even allow me to host my own server like xmpp does?
>>
>>52235918
As stated, Signal can be used with f-droid so it doesn't _require_ you to use anything botnet.
>>
>>52232303
install gentoo
>>
>>52235936
iOS doesn't even allow xmpp apps to run in the background for an indefinite amount of time; connections get closed after a few minutes which means no more push notifications.
>>
It would be a decent solution but there are some parts which i dont like.

First off they dont show off the protocols they use for their encryption and there is no E2E encryption. But the main part is: I dont't exactly know who is behind Telegram. They got millions of millions useres. Where do they take the money to pay all the servers since the Apps are free.

I still preffer Threema over everything.
>>
>>52236007
E2E by default*
>>
File: image.png (43KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
43KB, 512x512px
>>
>>52235852
>>52235797
Signal still needs GApps to make calls.
>>
>>52236234 again
meant to also reply to >>52235945
>>
File: facebook messenger.png (65KB, 745x363px) Image search: [Google]
facebook messenger.png
65KB, 745x363px
If you're going to use a botnet or anything that requires a botnet to actually work you might as well use something that other people actually use
>>
Regarding Signal:

Reading https://github.com/WhisperSystems/Signal-Android/issues/127 and searching for words "GCM" and "Push" you will learn that the only way to actually *use* Signal on an Android device without GApps is to use the -websockets fork. but then the Calls don't work.

0/10
>>
>>52235711
>https://blog.zimperium.com/telegram-hack/
reading the chat log from hard drive, durr hurr

>First off they dont show off the protocols they use for their encryption
Unlike Threema they do show their protocol and they also release the source code for all clients. https://core.telegram.org/mtproto

>and there is no E2E encryption
There is end-to-end encryption if you use secret chats, but it should be default right.

>I dont't exactly know who is behind Telegram
Its a German non-profit that got its finances from Pavel Durov (the VK guy).
>>
>>52236252
Use Disa. It has plug-ins for Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp (both available on github).
>>
>>52233666
XMPP is truly the only way to go. Fuck the other softs in this thread, they'll never gain traction because they're all incompatible with each other.
>>
>>52234206
I never denied that, why do you think I didn't list it as a pro?
>>
>>52232315
But as /g/ is also a community one can refer to it as a specific group like the word people
>>
>>52236946
Everyone dropped support for the XMPP protocol years ago. Maybe you're too young to remember.
>>
>>52235945
it is just a fork, that doesn't fully work apparently >>52235556
>>
>>52232303
My friends use it for making plans with one another. It's kind of pointless when there's other messaging apps but hey it helps me stay in touch and meet up with them to do stuff so I can't hate.
>>
>>52239465
You mean Google and Facebook realized there's business value to locking users in to their platform?
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.