[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly makes Mac computers so expensive?? What exactly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 27

File: Apple_gray_logo.png (62KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Apple_gray_logo.png
62KB, 2000x2000px
What exactly makes Mac computers so expensive??

What exactly makes them "better" or rather what are they better at?

I've been told
-no viruses
-no gradual decline in speed
-better for picture/video/music editing

You guys are the experts, you tell me.
>>
>>51405056
looks, workmanship, best calibrated displays outta the box, best trackpad and certain software like coreaudio and logic, little snitch etc. which is mac only. Oh and no viruses unless you're pants on head retarded.
>inb4 shit maymay
>inb4 chunkpad

most of this is just their laptops though. Not quite sure why anyone would buy a macpro for that price.
Hackintosh, soon to be macbook owner master race here
>>
>>51405056
looks, workmanship, best calibrated displays outta the box, best trackpad and certain software like coreaudio and logic, little snitch etc. which is mac only. Oh and no viruses unless you're pants on head retarded.
>inb4 shit maymay
>inb4 chunkpad

most of this is just their laptops though. Not quite sure why anyone would buy a macpro for that price.
>>
>>51405113
Macbook / Hackintosh owner here, I love it. I dual boot on separate hard drives, and only use windows to play games, everything else is done on OS X
>>
>>51405119
Yeah I figured there was more to it than the maymay. I'm planning on buying a macbook and I just wanted to really know
>>
>>51405136
this. Every day I like Windows less, although admittedly the window management is still way superior to OS X
>>
Use one for a while and find out. Read the current pages on apple about OSX, and look at the main features of the last few releases to get an idea on the sort of stuff they are currently adding. Apple stuff works best with other apple stuff. Extremely synergistic to your productivity
>>
>>51405056
no viruses or slowdown isn't exactly true, but it takes less effort to keep it maintained. the editing claim was true for a while and macs are still common in the industry as some people like logic and their audio drivers in particular are easier to work with. most creative software is available on both, though

a big part of the cost is the brand + OS, and the rest is build quality. having both OSes at home, I prefer w10 and pc build quality is already caught up to apple in many cases
>>
>>51405056
Is this bait? This is bait. It's obvious what makes them better. The Apple name. It lets you know that your new fashion accessory is of the highest possible quality. Not only that it lets you know that your parents really love you: high quality products for a high quality kid. Also other people will like you more when they see you carrying around Apple products because it let's them know you have sophisticated and refined taste, as well as higher personal standards.
>>
File: staysafe.jpg (113KB, 944x544px) Image search: [Google]
staysafe.jpg
113KB, 944x544px
>>51405056
>>
>>51405056
The name
>>
>>51405056
It must be good when 40% of the cost go into the advertisements you see on t.v.! The best thing about crapple computers is the "locked down" environment. People always say it'd great for music producing, video editing, or photo editing, but I don't see it, the hardware in these pleb machines are pretty well weak, and gimped. The fucking entry level macbook that is priced at a high end price is weaker than a FUCKING PHONE LOL, I'd rather have a high end power station with windblows to do editing work, since I can have moar power for a cheaper cost, and of course, an upgradeable system... Laptops are pretty worthless now, but I'd buy a half way decent chromebook that has 1/4 the cost, but the same level of productivity, and of course, you can install any os you'd like onto those shittops as well.

At least apple products "just kinda werks," well until they throttle themselves.
>>
>>51405056
>no viruses
not entirely true
>no slowdowns
Throttling exists on macs too.
>better for picture/video/music editing
The "mac are better for editing" meme was created by tech-illiterate normies. Unless you use OSX only software, macs aren't good for editing.

They are good except the soldered components part but they aren't worth the price in my opinion.
>>
>inb4 autist tripfag posts pasta
>>
Their desktops are over priced garbage but their laptops except the new macbook are amazing.

Fantastic displays, excellent battery life, ssd's now standard, and fairly light weight.

I have a macbook air 13in upgraded with 8gb of ram and I get 7 and a half battery life just shitposting all day long. And it has a i5, granted severely underclocked but light years faster than a shitty celeron, atom, and chinpad core 2 duo.

Though all macs suck hard ass for gaming due to apple cannot into driver performance and pairing insanely high resolutions with shit tiered gpu's.
>>
>>51405156
It's arguably faster to situate your windows, not so much better though.
>>
>>51405056
>What exactly makes Mac computers so expensive??

Retards who pay massive profit margins for a logo, and then go on to brag about how a big profit margin is good for consumers. This is how delusional their customer base is.
>>
File: 1447819277661.jpg (67KB, 704x368px) Image search: [Google]
1447819277661.jpg
67KB, 704x368px
>>51405056
It's a fetish for some people, and they'll pay for it to have their fetish fulfilled.
>>
>>51405056
the viruses bit is false, speed bit false, it just declines way slower than windows, yes I do prefer it for editing or about anything else for that matter. Basically its a very polished version of the linux operating system which is better in nearly every way for lots of reasons.
>>
The internal hardware is all much more reliable than what you get in a regular $300 HP computer. The design is much more durable, motherboards are a lot less likely to fail, Intel chips they use are indestructible. They are engineered entirely different. The only thing you might have to change is a HDD but thats because they used to use regular laptop drives. Now they have Apple-specific SSDs so the lifespan of them is nearly double that of a regular laptop. They also dont become obsolete very quickly. I know people using iMacs from 2007 working just fine
>>
File: Apple-worship-via-AP-640x480.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Apple-worship-via-AP-640x480.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>51405056
For the same reason places like WorstBuy charge $50/hr for installing drivers.

Some people are just so fucking retarded they need their hand held to use their computer and shriek in terror if their mouse has more than one button. If you cater to them, they'll pay anything.
>>
>>51405056
>no gradual decline in speed

This is the biggest load of shit

Every electronic product slows down over time

Certain technologies are better, like hi quality SSDs > HDDs for aging, but Apple computers get slow just like any others.

>better for picture/video/music editing

Apple didn't even get 64 bit Adobe products for years after Windows did. Thus, that's another myth.
>>
>>51405711
Is what he's saying true? Seems like he's mad and spouting bullshit rhetoric but I can't be entirely too sure
>>
>>51405926
>The internal hardware is all much more reliable than what you get in a regular $300 HP computer. The design is much more durable, motherboards are a lot less likely to fail, Intel chips they use are indestructible. They are engineered entirely different. The only thing you might have to change is a HDD but thats because they used to use regular laptop drives. Now they have Apple-specific SSDs so the lifespan of them is nearly double that of a regular laptop. They also dont become obsolete very quickly. I know people using iMacs from 2007 working just fine

Literally nothing in this is true. I was ACMT certified from 2009-2013, I know my Apple shit. It doesn't use higher quality anything.

Their designs are fucking retarded too, they don't have any smart heatflow in their iMacs in particular.

Apple doesn't use the right kind or the proper application of thermal paste either.

They use HDDs that are lower in quality than what you'd expect.

Same for their SSDs. They don't use the fastest ones, nor is OS X optimized for a long life span for SSDs, unless they finally fixed that in the last few years. Last I heard they had not.
>>
>>51405728
Lol the soldering serves a physical purpose. It allows users to move their device around without jiggling anything lose. Apple products are designed for important, busy people on the go. It's not the same as with a pc or droid where the users will remain in the basement 99% of the time.
>>
>>51406034
I had a friend who started making more money than he knew what to do with and he fell for apple marketing at would tell me ECC RAM bro. Apple is enterprise grade.
>>
>>51406044
You're wrong.

I. Soldering doesn't secure anything to anything else. It's just a chemical bond between metal surfaces. If the item is light enough, like a capacitor or a processor with many hundreds of micro solders, it's a non-issue.

II. PCI express and RAM slots are fine, they don't jiggle loose.

III. The reason Apple designs logic boards with soldered on RAM or ROM is so that they can be made thinner and more power efficient, but because it is stronger.

It's not a bad design, and no one would care if they charged fair prices for purchasing more RAM initially. They overcharge out the ass for RAM and ROM upgrades.
>>
>>51405161
hahahahahaha
>>
>>51405056
advertising bullshit to push a generic chinese brand of PC to the epitome of absurdity.

LGBT types are excellent consumers.
>>
>>51406066
> ECC RAM

Only on the Mac Pro, not the other products.
>>
>>51405146
>>51405728
>>51405926
>>51406044
hahahaha
>>
>>51405926
>unironically comparing a $1200 and a $300 computer.

>Not comparing it to other $1200 laptops.

Applefags, why.
>>
>>51405056
>c᠎ucked by apple
this t᠎bh s᠎mh f᠎am
>>
Basic consumer bullshit
>>
>>51405056
Why is a Ferrari more expensive than a Toyota? They both get you to point b!

Well you see the Ferrari is made of better parts. Has a leather interior, goes faster is better tuned and looks nicer. The Toyota gets the job done but you don't REALLY enjoy driving it.
>>
>>51406451
This is a bullshit argument because the internals of Apple computers are literally no different
>>
>>51405056
>gimped hardware
>everything is soldered to mobo
>expensive repairs if out of warranty
>new macbook air needs a $80 for more than 1 USB slot
>amazingly expensive considering warfare on a equivalent windows-running PC/laptop

You know, I understood why Macbooks were ok back when ultrabooks sucked, but now there is barely a reason to get one, particularly if you never used them.
>>
https://oneplus.net/x?kolid=YNAXQX
>>
>>51405056
Apple: the computer for people with more dollars than sense.
>>
>>51406472
Sure they are. You won't find the logic board from a mc laptop in another machine. They're all custom built and cut to the hardware. There's no third party/universal parts except the flash memory and cables. That's why macs are superior, the hardware and software are made for each other, not as universal parts.
>>
>>51406451
So Apple is selling an experience, not an utility.
>>
>>51406486
>hardware NOT gimped fug off with ur gay ass 800mhz meme
>soldered fine it will last like seventeen plus years
>repairs a non-issue, doesnt happen
>80 not too bad of price get a 50 dollar mac keyboard ta-da cheap usb hub
>not expensive , relatively. if u really sit and itemize everything. so u kno ur wrong
>>
>>51405056
easiest way to alert nearby fellow homosexuals about your promiscuity
>>
>>51406499
You rarely see any laptop motherboards in other computers due to how custom that shit has to be

Their logic boards are made by Foxconn, which is a really fucking shitty company for motherboard production. They have a bad history.

>There's no third party/universal parts except the flash memory and cables

Apple themselves doesn't make a god damn thing, they design them and contract everything out to ODMs.

>That's why macs are superior, the hardware and software are made for each other, not as universal parts.

No, they just make good drivers, just like many other companies do. Some don't, avoid those companies.
>>
cohesiveness of the hardware (sturdiness, QA) paired with attenuation to the operating system (each computer is tailored specifically for the OS). This is the bulk of where the price comes from, although historically, Apple has over-priced their products (especially laptops and phones) because they know people will still buy them over the shit competition (these are professionals, students, etc. Not just losers who spend all of their time tweaking their window manager or installing a new operating system every week). Their machines are the much needed UNIX workstation for the modern day professional in pretty much any field.
>>
>desperate faggots on craigslist trying to sell 2013 macbooks for $1200

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA EVERY TIME
>>
>>51406556
The bulk of the price comes from Apple shareholders insisting on 35-40% profit margins company wide.

>>51406585
My idiot sister bought a 2010 MBP 13" for 500 bucks last week.

A $300 dollar thinkpad from the Lenovo outlet is 250% more powerful.
>>
>>51406585
whoa. calm down pal. u rly seem to love hateing the mac. stoppe hateing the mac. they could easily get 800 for it prolly. prolly more. u mad. yea u mad. stop being a fanboy its gay
>>
The hardware.

For example... I just bought a 12" macbook. With a small app I can go any res up to native, which is something insane like 2404x1900

The speakers are amazing and full sound. Coated in gold to act as wiffi antennae

Shit is tight
>>
>>51406132

>Had Dell XPS
>shittiest trackpad ever, wouldn't track my fingers when dragging things
>Display had a major issue that made it impossible to do any photo editing, auto contrast, can't turn off in BIOS or Intel config software

>Had Dell Precision
>Not great battery life
>Heavy
>1080P screen was dogshit TN

>Had ThinkPad
>screen still garbage
>battery not as good as macbook
>Plastic easily chipped, plastic around smart card area flexes
>20 different sized screws, hard to open, multi layers of PCBs
>>
>>51406621
>shit is tight
Of course it is, when you keep getting your hole filled by Tim Cook
>>
File: images.jpg (39KB, 471x312px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
39KB, 471x312px
>>51406556
>any field
>>
File: 1441489396401.gif (3MB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
1441489396401.gif
3MB, 186x186px
>>51406621
>The speakers are amazing and full sound. Coated in gold to act as wiffi antennae
>>
>>51405711
> ,"locked down "

I'm running tons of open source software via homebrew, because osx is bsd UNIX

By comparison, windows 10 can't even do this without cygwin and a ton of other shit
>>
>>51406000
Look at the components they use in general Apple products, they are pretty weak in terms of what you pay for. They also are gimped to run slower, because they don't have proper cooling, which is lame when you need to do demanding work. They are fine for casual work, and FB, but other than that, you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>51406640
Those literally are not fair comparisons, at least with PC you have choice to spend less
>>
>>51405056
anything is better than windows. What other choice do us non autists have? Hobby OS?
>>
>>51406609
another reason why the market sucks. computers are a technological tool for the modern man. Placing profits and dividends as your highest maxim further alienates the so-called ``consumer." Necessary production is all that is needed. Profits are a myth.
>>51406643
i was expecting the ISS rebuttal. I can't help that NASA are too lazy to update their windows XP computers.
>>
>>51405156
get Spectacle - great for snappan windows :^)
>>
>>51406673
There are photos online of them using modern Thinkpads with Windows 8 or Ubuntu on ISS
>>
>>51406659
Uhh maybe in the models they haven't updated in years

Look at the new entry level macbook and find a comparison in PCs for the same price
>>
>>51406653
Notice the --->" "<--- It's there for a reason.
>>
>>51406689
So what you're saying is that they needed to pick the cheapest possible option to send to space? How surprising! I'm sure those computers are philosophically and technologically superior. Everyone knows windows software is the best!
>>
>>51406695
Go look at the iPhone 6s vs the entry level macbook benchmarks.
>>
>>51406653
>what is nuget
>>
>>51405056
Not a single person on /g/ is an expert in anything and only repeat useless jargon passed down from the ancients.
>>
>>51406705
are you under the impression that a macbook can survive in space when it can't survive a 1 foot drop? anon...
>>
>>51406705
Thinkpads are not necessarily the cheapest, but they send things to space that are reliable because it literally costs $10,000 a pound to send stuff up

Windows is a very powerful and flexible platform with a lot of legacy support.

NASA knows what they're doing.
>>
>>51406728
>meme
>>
>>51406742
>with a lot of legacy support
pretty much this. Windows can still run software from the 80s if need be. I do agree that thinkpads (at least the old IBM ones) are built tough/to last, but that still does not discredit my previous points.
>>51406732
Well seeing as how almost none of the current models have any moving parts (HDD, disk drive, etc) that point doesn't particularly stand. Treat their current models well, and I'm sure they can last just as long as some bullshit that chinese laborers (lower paid even than foxconn) can piece together. I had a hand me down air a few years ago in university and dropped it all the time on hard linoleum floors. Hell it's dented in multiple corners and runs fine.
>>
>>51406711
> single core performance
> at lowest voltage
> completely different systems

The whole board is about the size of the phone... You're basically saying the most powerful phone on the market just barely has the same arbitrary rating as the world's thinnest most energy efficient macbook

No shit
>>
>>51406711
> muh arbitrary rating number!!11

I'm not talking performance, I'm talking the quality of the parts. nothing else on the market has as good of a keyboard, trackpad, screen, camera, wifi, case, battery life, etc and the same price point.

of course it's not the fastest most insane laptop in the world, but this article tested a single core in normal 1.1ghz mode -- not even accounting for the higher-voltage "turbo boost" of 3ghz.
>>
Brand name. It's the same reason niggers pay $400 for a pair of jordans
>>
>>51406864

I tried for months to find similar performance and usability from Linux and Windows on other laptops (ASUS and IBM/Lenovo) and it simply wasn't there.

I do graphic design, not some weeaboo high-performance benchmarking for a living. I don't play games. I don't sit around on facebook.

Linux is a pain in the ass from the desktop perspective. the drivers are garbage and GIMP is the most accurately-named OSS in the world. WINE can't run the newer versions of Adobe software.

everyone can bitch about apple fanboys all they want, but at the end of the day, for $1200 I got a solid laptop that runs UNIX and isn't gimped by a bunch of neckbeards who can't agree on which drivers and launch agents to use, while ignoring the fact that the interface looks like it was thrown together by a first-year design student in the year 2003.

"but muh space station"

yeah the space shuttle and space station are literally running on 20-30 year old technology... government contracts say they have to go with certain vendors, and there's no way they're going to drop $2-3k on a macbook when they can get the same CPU and RAM in a case made out of cheap plastic. they're running specialized software written specifically to their needs, doesn't matter what OS they use. they go with the lowest bidding hardware contract.
>>
>>51406689
why would you want to use the same computers as terrorists?
>>
>>51406824
No, the iPhone isn't the most powerful phone on the market, and is that how you justify an overpriced laptop? A chromebook for 1/4 the cost can achieve that.

>>51406852
¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿Dell xps??????????
>>
File: 1440021047800.png (262KB, 381x424px) Image search: [Google]
1440021047800.png
262KB, 381x424px
>>51406996
You are mentally retarded.

>>51406973
Oh, so you're too stupid to just buy a decent PC laptop and instead overpay?
>>
>>51406996
YEAH I bet he even drives a toyota and uses an F-91w that fucking pig!
>>
>>51407014
shit trackpad compared to 2015 macbook pros
>>
>>51406852
The turbo boost is worthless, the laptop throttles down to .8ghz pretty quickly...
>>
>>51407024
>I'm going to cheap out and save marginally $400 on a machine that I will be using most of the day, every day for the next five to six years!
That's you
>>
>>51407041
Or you could spend the same money and get a more powerful machine... something upgradeable or with more ram, or a mower powerful card.
>>
>>51406864
That reason Mr.Chan is called compensating. When a person feels like they have no value they compensate by buying expensive things, even if they can't afford those things. Its why a nigger buys and wears expensive shoes because he's a nigger.
>>
>>51407065
more*
>>
>>51406973
>WINE can't run the newer versions of Adobe software.
What version of wine were you using?
>>
>>51407065
yeah but you're still left with a shit piece of physical hardware paired with a shit operating system. What's the point of having all of the computational power in the world when you can't smoothly scroll in your programs without frameskip lol. I doubt many of the people on this board are doing anything of much value with their machines. A Macintosh will give these people a comfortable environment to shitpost on the internet and masturbate to pictures of little anime girls on for years.
>>51407086
Yeah I'm pretty sure wine can run most, if not all adobe software. I've been using wine-staging builds on my machine and it runs pretty well.
>>
>>51405597

Much of this thread reads like publicist shilling. It's sickening.
>>
>>51407024

I tried to hackintosh other laptops but it was a pain in the ass -- proprietary trackpads and wifi radios. annoying screens and display drivers.

I'm also a developer but I guess I'm retarded for wanting a machine that isn't designed to match all the Little Tykes toys at the toy store.

but yeah, I am just like "all the niggers and their air jordans" because I spent $1200 on a laptop I'll use every day in a professional setting.

oh and it can run screenfetch too. BRB getting an animay desktop to throw in for my screenshot ^_^
>>
>>51407105
Sounds like you can't accept reality and resort to making up false claims
>it can't just be me! they must all be wrong!
nice delusion
>>
>>51407102
>shit operating system
That's your opinion, I left OS X because it was shit after using it for the better part of a decade.

I'm quite happy I went back to Windows.

>shit piece of physical hardware

You keep memeing frienderino, literally the only thing Apple laptops have over others is the trackpad, and even then there are many that are the same but !!!! have actual physical buttons, which many people find superior.

I prefer Thinkpad's system to Apple's one button shitpad.

Christ, you're fucking mental.

>>51407114
A $1200 MBP isn't some powerhouse, I don't know why you keep bragging about it.
>>
>>51407131
yes, but I have objectively the best opinion on everything so that immediately makes you incorrect
>I'm quite happy I went back to Windows.
you have bad taste, then
>>
Didn't Mercedes do the same thing? They were selling like garbage and so they jacked the price up and started marketing it as a luxury item and all the idiots started scooping them up.

It's all marketing.
>>
File: DSC00127-980x653.jpg (174KB, 980x653px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00127-980x653.jpg
174KB, 980x653px
>>51407086
>>51407102

I was using the latest one in the repository. I shouldn't have to fucking compile software to run adobe CS6 -- which is YEARS older than the newest version and shouldn't need a special hand-holding ceremony to run.

keep in mind, I didn't buy a mac pro. I have an older one that I have continuously upgraded over the years. the new mac pro IS locked-down and not worth it in the end.

guess these things work for me since I don't need insane CPU power, but the same arguments could be made for the nicer macbook pros.

can anyone find a better spec'd laptop out there? so far I'm just seeing "fuck u" replies.

- aluminum CNC case
- nice trackpad w/ glass
- retina display
- wifi that doesn't drop out every hour
- CPU that doesn't fry an egg
- RAM that was actually stress tested
- SSD HD that won't die in a year
- keyboard that doesn't wobble when I type

doesn't seem like I'm asking for much here...
>>
>>51407102
>Yeah I'm pretty sure wine can run most, if not all adobe software.
That's what I was thinking, it probably wouldn't have the best performance because I'm not certain how good the opencl support it, but the level wine development versions should run it. I'm not even certain why some distros still ship the 1.6 branch.
>>
>>51407146
>you have bad taste, then

You have faggot taste if you think OS X is better

> Less programs

> Shit file explorer

> Unable to manipulate the look of the OS without it looking like hacked together shit

> Awful on hard drives and SSDs

> Shit for gaming if that is your thing

> Shit for engineering

> Shit for reliability, somewhat made up for with customer support but still shit

Why can't you see there are reasons people don't like Apple and OS X? Like I get that people like it, and some of the laptops are quite competitive value wise as of late, but that's a really recent phenomena.
>>
>>51407157
>CPU that doesn't fry an egg

Apple laptops have horrendous heating problems historically due to Apple not wanting to put in enough fans, or giving them enough space to have proper airflow

THEY DONT FUCKING STRESS TEST THEIR RAM OMG LMAO

>SSD HD that won't die in a year

They use the cheapest SSDs and OS X's file system wrecks SSDs still

> keyboard that doesn't wobble when I type

Thinkpads have far superior keyboards
>>
>>51407131
> have actual physical buttons

uhh the whole fucking thing is a physical button. you can even adjust the feedback. it's an electromagnetic switch.

> macbook isn't some powerhouse

not everyone needs "a powerhouse"

your argument is that my jeep isn't a corvette therefore it's a piece of shit.
>>
>>51407198
>uhh the whole fucking thing is a physical button. you can even adjust the feedback. it's an electromagnetic switch.

yeah, it's one button and the fact that it's that massive is really annoying to a lot of people, even Apple users.

>>51407198

>your argument is that my jeep isn't a corvette therefore it's a piece of shit.

No, my argument is that Apple's laptops aren't some magnum of reliability. They simply are not, and they're not necessarily a good value with the exception of certain needs and certain tiers.

Apple has a good value in the Air, and sometimes in the entry level MBPs when they first come out, but they don't update frequently enough/drop the price to stay competitive throughout the year with the top of the line PC laptops.

If you buy one, whatever. Just don't like they are miles ahead of the cream of the crop or that they are more reliable than anything else.
>>
>>51407157
> aluminum CNC case
Well, yeah but who cares?
>nice trackpad w/ glass
Good
>retina display
meme
>wifi that doesn't drop out every hour
This is not 2002 any more. My cheap-ass chink Acer has wifi that never drops.
>CPU that doesn't fry an egg
Macs are actually overheating quite badly.
>RAM that was actually stress tested
meme
>SSD HD that won't die in a year
Well, Apple is clearly not the only company that ships with a proper SSD
>keyboard that doesn't wobble when I type
Keyboards are terrible actually.

In conclusion, 0/10 for you post, 8/10 for the look of that ultrabook in the pic.
>>
>>51407250
I'll admit , PC laptops need to all at least have 1080p displays
>>
>>51407167
>faggot
please refrain from being 12 years old, thanks
>Less programs
OS X can run all worthwhile Windows NT programs through wine, all proprietary Cocoa/Carbon OS X programs, and ALL UNIX software through pkgsrc/macports/brew/fink/portage prefix
>Shit file explorer
Finder is definitely better than the windows explorer, and if you don't like it, shell out the $10 or $20 for TotalFinder which has literally everything you need. I've never found anything Finder couldn't do well.
> Unable to manipulate the look of the OS without it looking like hacked together shit
I've personally done this for years (I have been ricing in desktop threads since 2010) and what you're saying is extremely false. You can rice XQuartz to look exactly like [insert GNU/Linux distribution name here] as they all use xorg. If you're on 10.4 or below, use magnifique for Quartz themeing. 10.5-10.6, use themepark. 10.6-10.9 sartfile/artfile tool. 10.10-10.11 use alexzielenski's ThemeEngine. I took me only a few hours to create a system wide System 9 theme. Trivial to be honest.
> Awful on hard drives and SSDs
uh, no? use zfs on OS X if you hate hfs+ that much.
> Shit for gaming if that is your thing
I can't help that microsoft cornered the market with their monopolistic DirectX technology in the mid 90s.
> Shit for engineering
see previous point about software
> Shit for reliability, somewhat made up for with customer support but still shit
not any worse than the rest of the field
>Why can't you see there are reasons people don't like Apple and OS X? Like I get that people like it, and some of the laptops are quite competitive value wise as of late, but that's a really recent phenomena.
Because I can't take bad-tasters seriously
>>
>>51405056
>-no viruses
This isn't true, they have adware for macs now.

GNU/Linux has none :^)
>>
>>51407167
> less programs

quantity is a measure of quality now? wow. guess I better switch to windows so I can install all the programzz.

- adobe
- every browser
- apps from panic like coda and transmit
- nicest IRC app, textual
- runs anything unix can run, including apache, php, mysql
- runs gtk apps like gimp and inkscape
- runs wine and can run any windows app natively

> shit file explorer / unable to manipulate the look
TotalFinder is kind of awesome, but the same can be said of windows

> shit for gaming
what?

> shit for engineering
are you fucking joking?

> shit for reliability
opinion

>>51407184
> thinkpads r bettr

the keys still use the same shit scissor switches that were invented in the 90s, you kek

they took the chicklet design and put it over the same old switch. they wobble around like michael j fox.
>>
No clue why people bend over for Apple, and defend the shit they have been releasing. Yeah, good for you if you like using their stuff, that's fine, but don't say it's better than everything else, if you kept to yourself, and didn't rub your purchase in your "superior" product, people wouldn't be bothering you on your bad investments. For some reason though, apple fags have to go out of their way to tell you about their superior branded product: "let me call you on my iPhone," "Yeah, I'll check it out when I get on my macbook pro later tonight;" I don't know any other group of people that identify their car, laptop, or phone by brand name.

It's fine you use your apple products, it really is, and if you like it, cool! But don't act like a bitch, and try to make yourself, and your product better than anything else, because it fucking isn't.
>>
>>51406082
>I. Soldering doesn't secure anything to anything else. It's just a chemical bond between metal surfaces. If the item is light enough, like a capacitor or a processor with many hundreds of micro solders, it's a non-issue.

DESU senpai, it's an electrical and mechanical bond. But, that doesn't mean it's a STRONG mechanical bond.

This is why shit like aerospace soldering exists, because if they were truely concerned about reliability in the '6 g's can kill the electronics' there's rules about this sorta shit.

But, yeah, soldering is a bad 'restrains products for longevity' thing.
>>
>>51407269
Thinkpad keyboards are miles ahead of Macbooks' ones.
>>
>>51407234
> the air is great

the new macbook is basically an improved air... the thing you're talking shit about

you just contradicted yourself here

>>51407250
> "I don't care about all of your points lOLOLOLZ meme"

the ultrabook in my pic is my laptop
>>
>>51407282
I am one of the most vocal critics (in real life, with friends, etc.) of apple's stupid practices (locking down their phone software, anti-competitive behavior in `app store,' over-charging for products, employing idiots in their stores, little to no innovation in the desktop space in over 10 years, losing jordan hubbard and most of their other top talent, etc.) But they have the ability to ship some of the best products in the world (something I can't particularly say about most other technology companies), so it's frustrating when people rule them out altogether.
>>
>>51407265
Faggot

>OS X can run all worthwhile Windows NT programs through wine, all proprietary Cocoa/Carbon OS X programs, and ALL UNIX software through pkgsrc/macports/brew/fink/portage prefix

Yeah and far worse performance, literally don't care about that at all

>Finder is definitely better than the windows explorer

No, it's not. Finder has been the biggest criticism of OS X within the community for a decade now.

Total Finder is a lot better, that's for sure. It's bad though that Apple hasn't fixed Finder entirely throughout the years.

>I've personally done this for years

Yeah, I used to do as well and if you were posting here about it, we probably used to talk about it. It still all looked like motherfucking shit.

>uh, no? use zfs on OS X if you hate hfs+ that much.

Lel that doesn't work out very well

>I can't help that microsoft cornered the market with their monopolistic DirectX technology in the mid 90s.

Yeah, it does suck because we'd all be better off an open standard had opened up

>see previous point about software

Oh yeah because I want to run engineering apps ever slower on my overpriced fagbook!

>not any worse than the rest of the field

Worse than the best, which it shouldn't be for that price - oh wait, those 35% profit margins! Whoops!

>Because I can't take bad-tasters seriously

You have awful taste, OS X isn't utilitarian, isn't user friendly anymore, and isn't as productive. Even for basic business use, Excel is not as good on OS X.

>>51407269
Lel Apple gets the feature fucked versions of many products
>>
>>51407265
>use zfs on OS X if

>zfs on an ssd
>literally has no trim (except for on freebsd)

Is it even possible for OS X to be installed on a zfs? Even if it was possible it would still break almost everything because nothing on os x supports case sensitive file systems
>>
>>51407322
I wasn't talking shit on the Macbook, but the Macbook isn't a good value. It's fucking weak.
>>
>>51407282

but it is... not 100%, but the parts they use ARE superior quality. you guys are taking bottom of the barrel shit that happens to have the newest core i7 and acting like it comes near the quality of a macbook. it's crazy.
>>
>>51407343
https://github.com/openzfsonosx/zfs
https://openzfsonosx.org/
legacy: https://code.google.com/p/maczfs/
it's honestly pretty stable at this point
>>
>>51407347
No, it's not.

Foxconn motherboards

Same RAM everyone else uses in their laptops

Low-grade consumer storage drives

It's not any better quality. There are studies from insurance companies that demonstrate that.
>>
ITT:

"LOLOLZ applez are for faggotz prove me wrong I have a compaq with a core i7 who cares if the keys pop off"

"here's why you're wrong, I even attached a fucking picture to show it"

"LOL that doesn't count FAGGGGGG"

basically you're a bunch of rednecks who think because your muscle car has a hemi and a loud exhaust (but full of rust holes and all the badges have fallen off) it's somehow way better than an import with more horsepower and a good suspension.

ITT

you're all dumb rednecks who can't afford nice things.
>>
>>51407157
I can't honestly
>>
>>51407380
It breaks all kind of shit
>>
File: 098ue.png (56KB, 824x382px) Image search: [Google]
098ue.png
56KB, 824x382px
>>51407343
> mac can't case-sensitive
>>
>>51406640
>Dell XPS
>Dell Precision
>Thinkpad

Not comparing it to shit like the Chrome Pixel.
My utter sides.
>>
>>51407263
It's been proven that human eyes can't see above 1366x768
>>
>>51407393
I just wish Apple users would not try to use bad arguments

These are good arguments for using Apple laptops, from someone that would never buy one again:

I. There is software on OS X that isn't available for Windows that I use, am knowledgeable in, and personally feel it is worth it to continue using.

II. I am an artist that wants a portable machine with a hi-resolution ISP display.

III. I've been using OS X for many years and this is the eco-system that I've invested money in.

IV. The particular model I bought was actually a great value due to the battery life, good trackpad, great display

V. Point IV, but I'm installing Windows/Linux on it. Fuck OS X.

These are good arguments. These Apple nerds in this thread are making bad, opinionated or unprovable/false claims that don't help their stance whatsoever.
>>
>>51407442
Fuck off console peasant
>>
>>51407454
>V. Point IV, but I'm installing Windows/Linux on it. Fuck OS X.
why do you enjoy shooting yourself in the foot?
>>
Remember that by buying Apple you perpetuate the inhumane work for peanuts conditions in Foxconn factories.
>>
>>51407380
But it's not actually possible to install osx on a zfs partition, r-right?
>>
>>51407472
Dude, seriously, some people do not like OS X.

Like, a lot of people.

If you can't accept that, I'm wondering what other mental deficiencies you have.
>>
>>51407412
Will break several pieces of software:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-case-sensitive-drives-supported.html
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14920290
>>
>>51407492

as if your laptop wasn't built in a 3rd world nation by slaves.
>>
>>51407498
I accept the fact that people do not like the operating system. I also accept the fact that those people have deluded themselves into being indoctrinated by the epic internet macro of Apple hate, so I don't take anything they say seriously. It's fun to argue with idiots when you're bored, though.
>>
>>51407510
I wouldn't ever use it because it isn't the year 1990
the software will work if it's installed on a filesystem that isn't case-sensitive

the OS has no problem with case-sensitivity is all I'm saying
>>
>>51405056

OP, what is a Veblen good?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

They're expensive because consumers with more disposable income tend to purchase things that distinguish them from the hoi polloi. Focusing on this market segment has worked well with Apple's "unique buying proposition" (UBP): it just works, it looks great, world class design, you're buying a fashion item, you're a special snowflake, you're rich, etc etc blah blah.

Honestly Macs should be cheaper than PC's, with their total control over the hardware and reduced associated support costs. But this would increase consumer demand while reducing profits, resulting in no net gain, and would compromise their UBP.
>>
>>51407527
I literally used OS X as my main OS from 2006-2013.

I went back to Windows. Matter of fact, in 2011 I was using Windows on my iMac because Windows was faster than OS X by miles on the same hardware.

I even removed OS X entirely from the machine in 2013 and used that iMac until late in 2013.
>>
File: MacExplosion.jpg (4KB, 339x236px) Image search: [Google]
MacExplosion.jpg
4KB, 339x236px
>>51406973
>I tried for months to find similar performance and usability from Linux and Windows on other laptops (ASUS and IBM/Lenovo) and it simply wasn't there.
Because you're a dumbass who needs an OS designed for mentally handicapped people.

>I do graphic design, not some weeaboo high-performance benchmarking for a living. I don't play games. I don't sit around on facebook.
You can draw your furry art on windows and linux programs too.

>Linux is a pain in the ass from the desktop perspective. the drivers are garbage and GIMP is the most accurately-named OSS in the world.
This is why Windows exists.

>everyone can bitch about apple fanboys all they want, but at the end of the day, for $1200 I got a solid laptop that runs UNIX and isn't gimped by a bunch of neckbeards who can't agree on which drivers and launch agents to use, while ignoring the fact that the interface looks like it was thrown together by a first-year design student in the year 2003.
You got an overpriced turd and you are shaming people smarter than you so you don't feel guilty about blowing $1,200 on a fucking laptop that has the same performance as a $600 one.

>yeah the space shuttle and space station are literally running on 20-30 year old technology... government contracts say they have to go with certain vendors, and there's no way they're going to drop $2-3k on a macbook when they can get the same CPU and RAM in a case made out of cheap plastic.
They don't want fire hazards onboard, that's why they use reliable chinkpads.

You can also literally install OS X on a windows laptop.

Macbooks are overpriced because of the brand name, it has nothing to do with "quality". All laptops are made by chinks. The only difference is how durable and how much they cost in the end.

If you want a macbook to look like a hipster, get a macbook along with a purse and $500 shoes you homo. If you want to get a durable laptop that won't set your house on fire get something else.
>>
>>51407534
>I wouldn't ever use it because it isn't the year 1990
>implying case sensitivity is a good idea at the file system level
>>
>>51407534
There are programs and features that won't work if you choose case sensitive
>>
>>51407565
insensitivity*
>>
File: 4235.jpg (6KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
4235.jpg
6KB, 224x225px
>>51407518
>turn around laptop
>made in japan
>>
File: 1446494949224.jpg (96KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446494949224.jpg
96KB, 720x720px
>>51407071
Don't most people do this though? Middle class people buy cars and swimming pools they can't afford and rich people buy companies they can't keep from going bankrupt.

God, why are we so pathetic?
>>
>>51405056
>no viruses

Wrong they do have them

>all computers slow down regardless of the operating system
>>
>>51405056
I mean, they all use pci based ssds and have nice screens. That seems about it.
>>
>>51407655
A PCIe SSD is a placebo. SATA 3.0(~700 MB/s) is already overkill.
>>
The virus is dealing with the retards that own apple products. Its like a holier than thou cult without any substance. You like paying more for less okay then everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you're not better than me because I went for the zenbook.
>>
>>51405056
Apple tax.
>>
>>51406742
>>51406705
they have ThinkPads because IBM has their hand in everyone's pants
>>
>>51407683
BUT I NEED MY 3GB/S READ/1.5GB/S WRITE
>>
>>51407622
Its capitalism. Everyone is competing for resources so we overplay our hand in hopes that we'll get more. Also, our purchases are props essentially. When we buy something unfortunately we become a shill for whatever we bought. It happens whether you want it to or not, thats why companies put logos on everything.
>>
>>51407556
> ur dumb

I'm a web dev, I need to run server software AND run professional design and rendering software. this can't be done on linux or windows. * you can do it on windows but it's a pain in the ass and not as good.

> furry art

I'm a PROFESSIONAL not some weeabo

> just use windows

see above

> overpriced turd

$1200 for exactly what I wanted vs. $1000 for something that wouldn't do what I wanted... sounds like you're just jealous?

> fire hazard, chinkpads in space

like I said, they go with government contracts. there have been apple products in space, but NASA's official laptop is the thinkpad because it meets strict government guidelines

> install OS X on a windows laptop

have you tried it? it's worse than trying to get linux to work correctly

> macbooks are overpriced

some of the higher end models are for sure, but my macbook is exactly what I wanted and I didn't pay much for it comparatively

> hipster
> homo

> house fire

every article I've EVER read was a fire started by a Dell or similar PC POS, probably a cheap chinese replacement charger

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2767813/Family-home-destroyed-massive-fire-sparked-brand-new-LAPTOP-overheating-left-charging-bed.html
>>
File: 1409910522473.jpg (431KB, 1000x2284px) Image search: [Google]
1409910522473.jpg
431KB, 1000x2284px
>>
>>51405113
This. The trackpad is actually god-tier, I'd rather not use a mouse
>>
>>51405981
Its all about having a trade.

My mechanic prolly laughs at me when I pay $60 for him to change my oil. I laugh at him when he pays be $60 to get the viruses off his computer.
>>
>>51407347
You must be blinded by your fanboi ways. Enjoy your life not knowing better, take care.
>>
>>51406082
Not a mac fan, but I will say they're some of the easiest laptops to repair/upgrade because of how easy they can be taken apart. Macbook has 10 small screws on the bottom and your done.

Meanwhile an HP laptop takes an hour to disassemble
>>
>>51407265
Wine's compatibility is still hit or miss as fuck more than anything.
Finder is balls.
You can rice X, except you might as well be using Linux at that point.

90% of the reason I've even booted into OSX is battery. It is amazing for battery life.
if I'm getting shit done, it's in Windows (but RIP battery life)

>>51407322
the Air is better than the new MacBook in every possible way that matters except screen and the Air being slightly heavier
keyboard's better, it's faster, it's cheaper, etc
>>
>>51407909
>Not a mac fan, but I will say they're some of the easiest laptops to repair/upgrade because of how easy they can be taken apart.

That's simply not true for every model

Just hope you never have to replace something that involved the display, hell, and one time replacing a wifi card meant taking a hair dryer to the display to take it apart just to get to the wifi antennae.
>>
>>51406082
I believe Apple knows more about this than you. They make billions of dollars. They can afford the finest engineers in the world, so you can sleep easy knowing your laptop, phone and watch have been designed by some of the best minds in the world. Neither Windows, nor Android can give you that level of confidence and security that your precious isn't going to unreasonably fall apart for the duration of the very generous warranty. That warranty comes with Apple Products too btw, but of course you can also upgrade it to a more premium leveled one too.
>>
>>51407835

I WISH I was paid by apple to shill their shit. I'm currently using a 10 year old mac pro and my recently-purchased macbook.
>>
>>51407995
>>51407995
billygengineersthatdon'tmakeitatmicrosoftworkatapple.jpg

Fuck off shill. Everything you said is false.
>>
>>51407951

they stopped using adhesive on the screens years ago. it's magnets now. I'm talking like 2009.
>>
>>51406451
This is a bullshit analogy. Ferraris are for the most part hand built, and each one is unique. Apple products are in no way unique, and the parts they are made from as just as substandard as any other off-the-shelf consumer electronics you buy.
>>
>>51405056
Ease of use, and build quality.
Ease of use is their main attraction.
>>
>>51408070
That's not fucking true, I'm ACMT certified. The laptops are still adhesive and that was introduced with the unibody Macbook Pro.

Even the iMacs are now adhesive versus magnets.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>51407916
> air is better except screen and weight

macbook also has better battery, keyboard, case, +USB C, better speakers, better wifi. and it comes in space fucking gray nignog.

the air is a better strict performer, but the screen looks outdated by comparison.
>>
>>51408099

so wait, they went BACK to adhesive? I haven't torn one apart in a while as I'm not a tech
>>
>>51408118
Looking forward to the day when the Pro is as thin as this
>>
>>51408118
>>51408157
looking forward to the day the macbook air turns retina
>>
It's the only desktop built on UNIX
>>
>>51408149
Every unibody MBP, MB, and MBA uses adhesive in the display. They have since 2009.
>>
File: macfags_btfo.jpg (175KB, 988x802px) Image search: [Google]
macfags_btfo.jpg
175KB, 988x802px
>>51407775
>I'm a web dev, I need to run server software AND run professional design and rendering software. this can't be done on linux or windows. * you can do it on windows but it's a pain in the ass and not as good.
Ah so you're a shitty web dev.

>> furry art
>I'm a PROFESSIONAL not some weeabo
Did I strike a nerve?

>$1200 for exactly what I wanted vs. $1000 for something that wouldn't do what I wanted... sounds like you're just jealous?
Sounds like you might have down syndrome.

>like I said, they go with government contracts. there have been apple products in space, but NASA's official laptop is the thinkpad because it meets strict government guidelines
To not be a fire hazard, correct.

>have you tried it? it's worse than trying to get linux to work correctly
Yes and it sounds like you suck balls installing an OS, I'm starting to doubt you're a web dev now.

>some of the higher end models are for sure, but my macbook is exactly what I wanted and I didn't pay much for it comparatively
Yes you did, stop being in denial.

>every article I've EVER read was a fire started by a Dell or similar PC POS, probably a cheap chinese replacement charger
Macbooks cause more house fires though, literally.

>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2767813/Family-home-destroyed-massive-fire-sparked-brand-new-LAPTOP-overheating-left-charging-bed.html
Apple laptops not only cause more housefires but because of the shitty cooling ventilation the CPUs throttle heavily if put under load.
>>
>>51406705
>fucking government contracts
>How do they work

Contracts always go to the reasonably lowest bidder.
>>
>>51408231

I'm going to ignore your blatant troll replies.

> govt regulations

having worked in government, yes they do have strict guidelines on redundancy and sub-contracted suppliers of components, but there's nothing in "fire hazard" that would stop a macbook from going to space. the reason they use strictly the ThinkPad 760XD and the 755C is because (shocker) IBM gave them a really good financial deal on them.

they also use the Epson Stylus Color 800 printer. so apparently that's the #1 BEST PRINTER EVER MADE EVER.

I paid $1200 for my macbook w/ educational discount. I know that seems like a lot of money to you, but maybe one day you'll get a real job and see that's less than a week's salary to a normal person.

> derp housefires

do you have any source on this other than your asshole?

my macbook doesn't even have a fan. it doesn't get hot. the intel CPUs are the same as the ones in your compaq plastic laptop you paid $500 for at best buy.
>>
>>51408349
>it doesn't get hot.

So you clearly aren't even watching HD video with it huehue
>>
>>51408349
Obvious apple shill: the post.
>>
>>51408368

I watch netflix in HD, though I'm not sure what the framerate or whatever else is (it looks good to me). 99% of the time I'm typing code and running various browsers. the only time it goes above cold to "lukewarm" is when I have multiple tabs open in chrome (a known resource hog) or if I'm running XCode's iOS Simulator with a huge res outputting to a 4K screen.
>>
>>51408394
like I said, I'd love to be paid to shill for them.

see my post here:

>>51408039

I was skeptical and even made sure they had a decent return policy in case I hated it. so far, zero hate, zero lag, no issues with it. I wish it could be this thin and be 13-15" but they'll probably make everyone wait 2 years for the macbook pro line to have similar specs.
>>
>>51405056
Nothing. Windows > Linux > Mac
>>
>>51408482
>Nothing. Windows > Linux > Mac
Man, stop tripping family, it's:
Windows > Linux > Android > Mac
>>
>>51407916
>You can rice X, except you might as well be using Linux at that point.
you must have completely missed the point that you can also customize Quartz on ANY version of OS X, 10.0 through 10.11

wine is sufficient for most anything. if you can't get ``shit done" on OS X, then you're probably doing something wrong
>>
>>51408482
More like OS X > Linux >= Windows
>>
>>51408505
yeah if you don't care about proprietary software, OS X is leagues ahead of GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux is still a failure in the desktop space, to this day. You know you're screwed when *bsd is better than you for common computing.
>>
>>51408505
For homosexuals sure. Not all of us are gay though you degenerate.
>>
>>51408525
So you think OS X is better than windows?
>>
I'm a controls engineer and was always issued a decent dell laptop for work. Last year our company decided that "macs just work" and gave us all macbook pros. I honestly didn't have any trouble or issues with the laptop, the keyboard sucked some ass but the track pad was good. The only problem we had was interfacing. I couldn't interface with half of the machines around the states. The company went back to dell's and offered us a basic or would pay 50% of whatever we wanted. I said fuck it and bought an alienware 17. How can anyone say the quality of the macbook is the best when the alienware 17 exists, it literally has a superior build, screen, keyboard, track pad, battery and hardware. I hate to say dell's are great but this laptop is the cats ass at roughly the same price point as a macbook pro.
>>
>>51405056
I use a macbook pro every day for work. I use Arch Linux for everything else.

The only thing better about macs is the hardware. Their touch pads, mice, trackpads in particular are awesome. The magic mouse is on the small side though, which can be awkward if you have larger hands (like me). Regular touchpads on laptops are practically unusable. I hate them so much. Macbook touchpads are quite decent. The trackpad is no mouse replacement, but it's nice to have in addition to a mouse. The magic mouse itself is nice because it supports horizontal scrolling.
>>
>>51408544
The shit I took last night is better than Windows NT. If you think Microsoft outperforming Apple (in the year 2015), you are deluding yourself. All I need to do is look at modern incarnations of windows (8, 10) and the quality of their userbase to see all that I need to see. In actuality, the way most people use their computers and software physically repulses me.
>>
>>51405056
The MBP line is about as expensive as their Ultrabook counterparts, so no explaining needed there.

Mac Minis are also similarly priced to their competition.

As far as I can tell, the price of iMacs and Mac Pros comes down to form factor. I don't know why someone would want to pay a premium for a desk bucket but hey.
>>
>>51408594
>The Macintosh OS X operating system is not as good as GNU/Arch Linux
I may die of laughter
>>
>>51408592
>alienware trackpad is better
How many fingers does it support simultaneously?
Does it support gestures? Can you use gestures to trigger custom scripts?
>>
>>51408544

is this even a real question?

- price
mac os x has been free. windows 10 is "free" (for a year) if you have win 7 or better... but all the used-to-be-included apps are no longer free (DVD player, for example).

- UI
do I even have to say it? where microsoft hasn't blatantly copied OS X and Android, they've just thrown in their failure metro mobile UI.

- organization, search, indexing, sharing

windows only beats OS X on gimmicks like MUH GAYMEZ and SO MANY MORE APPZ
>>
>>51408631
>GNU/Arch Linux
Actually the distro is just called "Arch Linux", and yes it is much better than OSX for power users, hobbyists, and FOSS-centric developers.
>>
File: alienm17xr3_9524_g1.jpg (85KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
alienm17xr3_9524_g1.jpg
85KB, 775x500px
>>51408592

> HELLO IM HERE TO FIX YOUR INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT MACHINES

> JUST LET ME GET MY LAPTOP...
>>
>>51408640
Yes all the touch gestures in win 10 work perfect
>>
>>51405056
When you have to pay to change the screen resolution of OSX, these costs add up you know!
>>
>>51408685
Fucking this. If I had to choose between a Macbook Pro and an Alienware I'd have to get the macbook. This shit looks autistic.

Still I'd much rather use my memepad.
>>
>>51408659
>Actually the distro is just called "Arch Linux",
oh really? please point me in the direction to all of the customization that the so-called `devs' have made to the kernel.
keep deluding yourself with that macro. it's only true if you're an edgy fourteen year old. Literally ALL of the brightest minds in computer science, academia, hobbyists, etc. all use Apple Macintosh products. Hell, even the entire Plan9 team uses either macbook air or macbook pro.
>>
>>51408702
I'm not interested in Windows to be honest. Do you know if they made the drivers available for Linux? Also, how many fingers can it track?
>>
>>51408708

> $5 for an app that does what you could do for free via terminal

yeah, costs add up when you're poor.
>>
>>51406728
Actually I'm a journeyman machinist myself, so I have demonstrated a degree of competence and expertise in my career field.
>>
>>51405056
The company makes them expensive. They set the price. Memes aside, you are a complete moron if you pay a premium for one of these computers.
>>
>>51408597
filtered ;^)

I only wish more paid apple shills could use a tripcode.
>>
>>51408746
>journeyman machinist

How would you machine soft lead?
>>
>>51408685
Honestly when I have it out most people are amazed by it and want to fuck with it.
>>
>>51407105
It was meant to sound that way. Glad to see it worked.
>>
>>51405113
>>51405119
Proof of paid apple shills posting the exact same prepared reply. How much do you fuckers get paid.
>>
>>51408779
that's because ``most people'' have shit taste
>>
>>51408715
>please point me in the direction to all of the customization that the so-called `devs' have made to the kernel.
You don't need to make modifications to a kernel in order to name a custom distro. Are you delusional or what?

>Literally ALL of the brightest minds in computer science, academia, hobbyists, etc. all use Apple Macintosh products.
And yet I get payed a salary position in part because of my knowledge of GNU/Linux. Your opinions mean literally nothing to me.
>>
>>51408647
OS X is for homosexuals, men who suck cock.

I am not gay you filthy piece of shit
>>
>>51408734

Dont forget to buy a calculator app for IOS too!
>>
>>51408798
>You don't need to make modifications to a kernel in order to name a custom distro. Are you delusional or what?
that's why the entire concept of a `distro' is ridiculous. christ.
>I installed a different package manager and DE! I'm such an elite OPEN SORES developer! lol!
>And yet I get payed a salary position in part because of my knowledge of GNU/Linux. Your opinions mean literally nothing to me.
that doesn't mean that that operating system is worthwhile. The highest paid people in America are either: idiot sociopathic CEOs, or, stupid sports players, or, pop stars/actors. Just because you get paid for something does not in some magical way legitimize it, or make it worthwhile in any sense of the term.
>>
>>51408728
It tracks two fingers, being it's a Dell I doubt the Linux support is good or even exists
>>
>>51408773
This. You know what I kinda like tripfags now. Wish more apple shills did use a tripcode too.
>>
>>51408795
True I have the lighting disabled except the keyboard and it's just blue. I could care less about the lights. The backlit screen is amazing. Plus I game on it in my hotel room.
>>
>>51408918
>>51408773
>I'm going to ignore everyone I don't agree with to make the internet an echo chamber/safe space for myself
you're just as bad as the rest
>>
it just werks OP
didnt have a major problem with OSX yet
>>
File: dropoutjeep.jpg (88KB, 525x680px) Image search: [Google]
dropoutjeep.jpg
88KB, 525x680px
Apple works with the NSA.
>>
>>51405728
>Unless you use OSX only software, macs aren't good for editing.
That's what people usually do when they buy a Mac 2bh.
>Buys a Mac for editing video
>Doesn't use FCP
>>
>>51408850
>I installed a different package manager and DE! I'm such an elite OPEN SORES developer! lol!
You're the one equating distro maintainers to developers. Nobody else is doing that.
That being said, there is a lot more that goes into a distro than just the package manager. Maintaining the software repository is where most of the effort is expended in most distros (including distros with their own kernel patches. This is the only reason I have not created my own distro). The Arch Linux maintainers are maintaining several different software repositories. This means they have to decide which versions of any given package will be available in the different repositories they provide for the users. Considering the number of packages available, this is a non-trivial task. They cannot possibly personally review every version of every piece of software released for GNU/LInux platforms.

I don't know why you are so made at Linux anyways. Did it do something to you? NASA and half of all web servers seem to appreciate GNU/Linux operating systems just fine. Does the idea that you can customize the workflow to suit your needs perfectly scare you anon?
>>
>>51405056
"Amazing design" Like mice that charge from connecting the charger to the bottom and pens that charge by sticking out the side of your ipad pro.

In most cases the only way you are paying good money for an apple product is if you by it on launch day, at least for there computers. As the prices of the components drop the price of apples computers will stay the same. Meaning you could easily build a equal computer for less. Or build a better computer with more upgradeablility, and make it last longer then a general apple product.
>>
>>51405056
Basically build quality and design. By design I don't necessarily mean
>l-look, there's a lightning apple on the cover guyse
I mean how just about everything on their machines is thought through. Just look at the Mac Pro and how it's cooling system works. It's clearly not worth the price it's sold for but it's definitely worth more than a PC where you just pay for the hardware.
>>
>>51408965
and Microsoft/Google/the rest of the tech industry doesn't?! my god you people are dulusional
>>51408991
why thousands of people fritter their time away tinkering with getting package repositories working for their particular system (just use pkgsrc or portage ffs) is beyond me. Those are honestly the only two worthwhile package managers on this planet at this point.
>I don't know why you are so made at Linux anyways. Did it do something to you? NASA and half of all web servers seem to appreciate GNU/Linux operating systems just fine.
Yep, and basement dwellers on 4chan try to use it as a desktop operating system. Which it's NOT
In the words of one of my favorite open source hackers Jamie Zawinski, ``Linux is only free if your time has no value." [https://www.jwz.org/doc/linux.html]
>>
File: 1430028947001.png (153KB, 1213x636px) Image search: [Google]
1430028947001.png
153KB, 1213x636px
Daily reminder that apple betrayed you all. They literally are working with the NSA like >>51408965 said or are weapons grade retarded. Either of which is really bad.
>>
>>51407835
Well if I were a multibillion dollar company, I'd certainly hire people to shill my shit on 4chan. Neets, pedophiles, furries, trap enthusiasts, 12 year olds, and just regular old faggots are clearly where the real profits lie.
>>
>>51409059
holy shit
>>
>>51408208
Funny how OpenBSD comes with X since its clearly incapable of being used as a desktop. We'll also pretend that PCBSD doesn't exist either.
>>
>>51405056
Normies by them by the ton; as demand increases supply must as well.
>>
>>51409059
Is it firmware level
just install coreboot desu
>>
>>51409180
Implying 99.99999% of macfags would know how to do that.
>>
>>51408715
Not even Richard Stallman is as pedantic and imbecilic as you. Congrats I guess.
>>
>>51409048
>try to use it as a desktop operating system. Which it's NOT
Care to explain why? It seems to run all my favorite home media applications and development tools without issues. I even have a couple hundred games on Steam. Nearly every major DE out there is fine for desktop use. I'm using GNOME at home, but I still have KDE running on a computer at work because it's window manager is more flexible and suits my workflow better for those types of activities (a lot better than OSX desu)

>Linux is only free if your time has no value.
Cute, but like I said I make money from my GNU/Linux expertise. I have good benefits, and more than a large enough salary to live comfortably in a good location.
>>
>>51407393

"LOLOLZ applez are teh best prove me wrong I have a Macbook with a core i7 who cares if the keys pop off"

"here's why you're wrong, I even attached a fucking picture to show it"

"LOL that doesn't count FAGGGGGG"

FTFY
>>
>>51409231
>Care to explain why?
It's not suitable for day to day usage.
>Cute, but like I said I make money from my GNU/Linux expertise.
and yet you're arguing with someone on 4chan. really living the dream, man
>>51409225
thanks. thinking critically really is fun, isn't it?
>>
>>51409048
I was keeping this Apple product specific.
>>
File: 12464.jpg (103KB, 525x808px) Image search: [Google]
12464.jpg
103KB, 525x808px
>>51407393
Hey can you adopt a tripcode? You'd look so cool with one on desu
>>
>>51409268
>It's not suitable for day to day usage.
In what way is it not suitable for day to day usage? Most people only need a web browser for day to day usage.
>>
>>51409277
Tim Cook is the most privacy/security minded CEO apple has ever had. I seriously doubt Apple would willingly cohort with the likes of them. Hell system-wide encryption is a standard feature during install now. Just because an obscure bug was not fixed in older operating systems does not mean that Apple is out to get you
>>51409298
It can't support most DRM based web technologies. How do you explain that to the masses that use Netflix on their computers (every college girl ever) without hacks such as pipelight or whatever? Why fritter your time away with imperfect technologies when there are better alternatives?
>>
>>51409331
>It can't support most DRM based web technologies. How do you explain that to the masses that use Netflix on their computers (every college girl ever) without hacks such as pipelight or whatever? Why fritter your time away with imperfect technologies when there are better alternatives?
I have personally used Netflix and Amazon Instant Video without any hacks. This is 2015. Chrome supports these things out of the box.
>>
>>51409268
Why are you using chinese scribbles on your tripfag name anyway? Are you from 2chan?
>>
Apple repair shop employee here.

I fix apple shit all day.

I have owned multiple MBP and MBA. I have a Powermac G5 with 10.5 server and an ipad 2. Main rig is a desktop with win 7.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>51409370
no, I just do this to trigger people when I post outside of desktop threads. I don't even watch anime or care about japanese culture.
>>51409366
I still don't think it's stable enough (driver or software-wise) for the masses to use as a functional desktop operating system. It also lacks much of the needed proprietary software that the business/professional world relies on. OS X can do all of this, and more.
>>
>>51409387
What does your job even consist of?
>>
>>51405056

* Excellent engineering. Look at pictures of one opened up. They're so fucking precise, it's ridiculous.

* Quality rather than specs. Erry retard wants to bitch about how their specs are better, but their trackpad is a piece of shit, their keyboard feels horrible, their sound is awful (b-b-but Antec Lansing co-branding bullshit!), their screen is only 6-bits per channel, their hinge cracks, and it's bizarrely weighted so it falls backward when you open the screen.

* Real specs rather than checkbox specs. Macs have 4-channel PCIe SSDs. The brand new Microsoft Surface Book has PCIe SSD, but they don't even say how many channels. Macs have excellent Intel chipsets, not some shitty 3rd party crap with lousy drivers.

* What you want instead of what you think you want. PC makers focus on the illusion of control. Fan speed controller knobs instead of just fucking managing heat automatically in the correct manner. I have a Toshiba laptop that literally has five separate LEDs on the front of it. power on, sleep, power plugged in, hard drive activity, and I don't even know what the fifth one is. Why? Who the fuck wants that? It's the Korean Toaster problem: endless "options" and shit to fiddle with instead of focusing on making the best thing you can. PC laptop manufacturers have a million different models. They INTENTIONALLY CREATE CONFUSION in the mind of the buyer. Ever wonder why it's so hard to find a simple comparison of models that actually shows what each model LACKS? That's why.
>>
>>51409409
Mostly fixing shit like iphones, ipads, ipods, etc, but i do mac shit as well. HDD failures, busted screens, liquid damage, batteries, etc. Data migration and some recovery as well but those are a pain sometimes.
>>
>>51409331
Look at post >>51408965
Now look at the unit cost. $0
Meaning Apple works directly with them and has an agreement in place. Most likely Tim Cook gives them there encryption to improve it and instead of paying the NSA for the help they let them install back doors for access.
>>
>>51405056
>inb4 shit maymay
>inb4 chunkpad

>>
>>51406082
>Soldering doesn't secure anything to anything else

That's completely false. Look at a PCB with a significant heat sink mounted to a transistor, or maybe a knob support bracket. How are they affixed to the PCB? With solder.

Note that I'm not talking about an electrical connection, I'm talking about how mechanical support elements which are not part of the circuit itself are attached to the PCB.
>>
>>51409387
Is it true most of the people who buy apple products are poor? Is your average customer some richfag or a poorfag trying to look rich?
>>
Display, battery life, design, being popular with white people.

I'm probably going to get the next rMBP 13" that comes out. I get quite a nice educational discount.

I have no need for a discrete GPU; having one in my laptop would drain the battery quicker for no gain.
>>
>>51409403
>I still don't think it's stable enough (driver or software-wise) for the masses to use as a functional desktop operating system
It's more stable than Windows or OSX as a desktop operating system. Many core pieces of functionality on OSX randomly stop working for no apparent reason. For example, the mouse pointer often vanishes seemingly at random. There does not appear to be any clear reproduction steps. Applications which rely on Mono often crash unexpectedly even when they work perfectly fine on Windows and GNU/Linux operating systems. Sometimes windows vanish for no fucking reason and you can't cmd-tab to them or open them up again from the dock until you force kill the application. The package manager ("App Store") does not provide all dependencies for all software available for download. This means to install some packages you must resort to google to find the dependency. It randomly forgets about additional monitors plugged in upon waking from sleep sometimes. Again, no clear repro steps. There are so many OSX issues that I can't believe people put up with it. I would rather use GNOME or KDE on a GNU/Linux distro.

>It also lacks much of the needed proprietary software that the business/professional world relies on.
We were talking about desktop use. Nice try though. I've already stated that I use OSX for work. That has nothing to do with what I put on my computer at home.
>>
>>51408075
>Ferraris are for the most part hand built, and each one is unique.

No they aren't.

Jesus, you have no idea what you're talking about. You want hand-built and unique? Go reread your 8th grade history book where they talked about the marvel of Interchangeable Parts. Read about how guns were made before this manufacturing marvel.
>>
>>51409505
I'd say its about 50/50 based off f what ive seen. THe richer looking people are mostly white, but theres tonnes of darkies and snackbars who come in with iphones/macbooks,ipads, etc. These people generally have the most beat up ones on average, but the richer folks are usually shit like run over by a car or it went swimming.
>>
Is it possible to have Windows installed in one drive and Mac OS in another drive in the same computer, and have both working perfectly?

Not sure why I'd want to do it, but is it possible?
>>
>>51409567
yes. you can even go osx/windoes/loonix(or bsd) if you wanted to, but OSX is basically locked down BSD with some loonix bits mixed in(bash)
>>
>>51407556
>If you want to get a durable laptop that won't set your house on fire get something else.

Dude doesn't even remember the Sony battery recall...
>>
>>51409767
Moral of the story: Don't buy a laptop.
>>
>>51405843
The Macbook Air is notorious for bad resolution.
>>
>>51409844
>The Macbook Air is notorious for bad resolution.

You mean the one that has resolution on par with most PC laptops, but on a smaller screen because it's so compact?
>>
>>51409844
Only the 11 inch (pleb 1366x768 shit)

the 13 inch is the best resolution for a laptop: 1440x900
>>
>>51409875
a resolution that makes sense for the size and a display that puts most to shame in terms of quality (color, angles, extra)
>>
>>51409918
>Only the 11 inch (pleb 1366x768 shit)

That's the same resolution as my 15" Toshiba.

Granted, it's a few years old, but last time I looked that was STILL a common resolution for PCs in the 15" range!

By the way, I think that's the res on my 2006 1st gen Intel Macbook. It was an acceptable resolution for the time and size. Certainly looked much better than said shitty Toshiba, but it would be an annoyance to do real work on it without an external display.
>>
>>51410033
I honestly only hate it because it's not 16:10
I'd even prefer 1280x800 to it
>>
>>51409798
Don't buy any electronics at all. Just grow a Santaclaus beard and fuck off in the woods and become amish. Don't wanna have any fire hazards, do we?
>>
>>51410033
1366x768 is extraordinarily common for regular ol' laptops. you can find even 17in laptops with it.

its really ridiculous. its a plaque.

zero reasons why a shit $400 laptop can't ship with 1920 x 1080, let alone 1440 x 900.

apple on the other hand went insane by going 2k - 4k screens on laptops with gpus that can barely power 1080p. making them pure garbage for any sort of gaming unless you don't mind running at ultra low settings.

but then again if you buy a mac, you either don't care about gaming or to busy tickling ballsacks.
>>
It's UNIX certified, reliable, and their laptops have great batteries.
>>
>>51410118
Also NSA certified too :^)
>>
>>51408776
I'd keep the coolant flooding it, the rpm low, the feed high and consistent, and take light cuts. Might help to use dry ice before each operation, to get it really cold.

I've used dry ice to make brass bushings contract so that they they'll press into place easier, without having to remove any additional material. I'm thinking it should make lead do the same, and increase the density temporarily, which should make the chip break easier at least. Would probably want to use a two-flute endmill for milling, or if turning, and possible cut a tiny key-way into the OD which would also encourage better chip-breaking.

I've never actually worked with lead.
>>
>>51410104

Yep. We can all thank Apple for the recent increase in higher DPI screens on PCs.

My X-Star 2560x1440 is most likely a rejected Cinema display. Thank you, based Apple.

As for Retina, I've never heard a negative thing about it from software engineer friends who use them. They love the crisp display, and pixel-doubling seems to work reasonably well for older applications. Yeah, gaming is a bummer, but gaming on a Mac is mediocre to begin with. I'd just run an external 1080p monitor, personally.
>>
>>51409547
Ferraris are put together by hand, and built to order. No, that doesn't really justify their price, but there are clearly people who disagree, hence the existence of Ferraris.
>>
>>51410146
>As for Retina, I've never heard a negative thing about it from software engineer friends who use them
I don't like how the screen is shiny as it results in glare from nearly any nearby light source.
>>
File: wowfaggots.jpg (116KB, 500x304px) Image search: [Google]
wowfaggots.jpg
116KB, 500x304px
Apple haters are hilarious. How can one group of people be so mad at a company?

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't be a faggot and tell people what to do with their money.
>>
>>51410212
Then stop shilling apple products on /g/ else we won't stop shitting on your fashion accessories. Why are you even on /g/? Shouldn't you be on /fa/ looking what purse matches best with your pink iphone?
>>
>>51410285
I'm not shilling anything, you stupid fuck. Nice projections you got there.

Apple products are technology nonetheless. Deal with it, faggot.
>>
>>51405113
>looks
Top kek
>Best track pad
Why would you ever stoop this low
>no viruses unless your pants on head retarded
Same goes for any computer
>Best calibrated display
I highly doubt this to be fact, since everyone uses their laptop in different environments
>>
If you do get one I'd get the regular macbook, with the type-c. It's frikkin beautiful dude
>>
>>51410301
>I'm not shilling anything, you stupid fuck. Nice projections you got there.
Thanks

>Apple products are technology nonetheless. Deal with it, faggot.
True but that still doesn't mean they aren't gay.
>>
>>51406659
... Didn't know a moto G had the same power of a core I5 but okay
>>
>>51410346
Homosexual degenerate detected. Please stay away from kids you aids and syphilis ridden moldy turd.
>>
>>51410383
>>51410400
There's nothing wrong with being gay. This is 2015.
>>
>>51405056
Solid build. You get something that lasts.
OS that is not a buggy unstable mess like W10.
Good design on everything.
It just werks
>>
>>51407014
>Implying chromebooks aren't godtier machines in the first place
>>
>so expensive
Marginally. Used to be a lot worse back in the PPC days, but with every major update to the MBP Apple's managed to put everything else at their price point (and many more expensive portable workstations) to shame. Sure, you can find ultra portable laptops with high res screens for a few hundred dollars cheaper than a comparable rMBP today (chances are the trackpad, battery, and SSD will be inferior, but who cares when you're trying to BTFO macfags on /g/), but that wasn't the case when it launched a few years back. Same can be said for the unibody MBP when it launched.
>>
>>51410417
>2015
>not being beheaded for sodomy

get with the times faggot
>>
>>51410417
>There's nothing wrong with being gay. This is 2015.
>There's nothing wrong with molesting kids. This is 2015
>There's nothing wrong with being a Muslim. This is 2015.
>There's nothing wrong with chopping my balls off. This is 2015.
>There's nothing wrong with having kids with a down syndrome girl. This is 2015.
I like where this meme is going.
>>
>>51407269
>States one thing as opinion
>Has said nothing but opinions
Go back to Facebook, macfag
>>
>>51410417
>There's nothing wrong with being a drug addict. This is 2015.
What? Are you going to justify whacking off in front of children because it's 2015 as well?
>>
File: fpc.png (315KB, 1077x1235px) Image search: [Google]
fpc.png
315KB, 1077x1235px
>>51405056
>expensive
>>
>>51410579
Nice meme
>>
>>51405056
>inb4 shit maymay
>inb4 chunkpad

>>
>>51410579
pretty funny, now you just need a linux one.
>>
>>51410639
Retard
>>
File: macfaggotry.jpg (56KB, 347x346px) Image search: [Google]
macfaggotry.jpg
56KB, 347x346px
>>51410579
Macfaggotry.
>>
>>51410639
Enjoy your soon-to-be housefire.
>>
>>51410579
even cheaper if you go on a hunger strike
>>
>>51405056
>inb4 shit maymay
>inb4 chunkpad

>>
File: 1342515825240b.jpg (1MB, 2785x3018px) Image search: [Google]
1342515825240b.jpg
1MB, 2785x3018px
>>
>>51410579
>2 packs of cheetos/day
How poor do you have to be to only be able to afford that?
>>
>>51410751
If mac os is so great why did windows become the dominant OS on desktops/laptop? And how can you prove mac OSs didn't copy windows?
>>
Literally nothing. It's like a gucci bag. You gotta just stop questioning the stupidity of hipsters and go with what you like
>>
>>51410809
>If mac os is so great why did windows become the dominant OS on desktops/laptop?
because apple has an ego problem
>>
>>51410809
Because the total cost of ownership is a lot higher. And actually, it's not better.

It also didn't really take off on servers and so on for the same reason (Linux owns theese).

And IOS on smartphones is not doing too well in terms of market share either, Android pretty much burned that originally near 100% market share down to ~10%.

Sure, Apple's marketing department can make people believe that they're the best, but they're not actually good at much except making these same people pay a lot.
>>
>>51411002
So did windows. The real problem is Unix OSs suck balls. Even your average basement dweller would rather use ubuntu than ever touch a Unix os.
>>
>>51405056
>-no viruses
WINNER WINNER WINNER

why the fuck would you use a machine that gets viruses purposely
>>
>>51411107
macs do get viruses though. I should know, I own a macbook air.
>>
>>51405056
The short answer is that Apple's prices are higher because there are enough people willing to pay those prices.

Using excellent top-tier marketing, Apple has been able to pretty much set their own equilibrium price in the market for their products.

That said, it helps that their products are in fact fairly reliable in my experience compared to their counterparts on, say Android and Windows, and there is something to be said for their attention to aesthetics.
>>
>>51405056
if you're not into computers but still want one and have the money to waste, Apple is for you. Its really no worse/better than other operating systems and hardware at the same level of quality; apple's problem for the longest time has been Apple tax, and more recently imo the excessive dumbing down of their programs which really works against improving any kind of computer skills.
>>
File: macbook_fire.jpg (11KB, 441x362px) Image search: [Google]
macbook_fire.jpg
11KB, 441x362px
>>51411375
>apple
>reliable
pick one
>>
>>51411394
macbooks are a fire hazard though.
>>
>>51411398
Both? I was explicit in saying that was anecdotal. If you have a problem with that, I can't help you.
>>
>>51411421
I guess we can't help each other but neither can apple.
>>
>>51405056

Brand
>>
>>51406522
Literally the worst piece of counterargument I have ever seen in my life.

Go learn how to read/write, Son.
>>
>>51405056
Hi,

Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, a free software (as in neet money and as in freedom) that has a reputation among experts to be fast, reliable and secure (much more than the Linux kernel, which may be the #1 security breaches source).

FreeBSD was perfect for Apple, as it is god-tier software and it has no copyleft. Everybody is literally able to do whatever s.he wants with the source code, and so to make a closed-source fork of it with not much of coding (code-related, I guess Apple employees spend more time on iMovie than on Mac OS X) and a pretty good desktop environment.

FreeBSD is for experts though, and Apple provides a desktop environmnent to be as smooth as possible. Do you need drag'n'drop to unmount your device or not, it's up to you.

The downside is that you can't do everything you want to and, as the desktop does everything for you, you won't learn anything with it and may be trapped in these UX tricks ; hence as an advanced user I have no reason to drop Archlinux.

There are viruses on Macintosh, as much more people use them than 20 years ago. Conversely, there is probably almost no virus on Haiku. (It's excellent, but it has not enough packages.)

Another point is the hardware. It has excellent finitions but, except for the high-end of an already pricey brand, it is not intended for heavy tasks. So thanks to the DE and Apple software you'll be able to easily make a movie from a pre-existing video, but for example you won't make 3D animation with Blender/Maya/whatever you like.

When I'm talking about finitions, I'm talking about design finitions and not about utilitarian design like of a 500$ Thinkpad (>>>/g/tpg).

Personally I think KDE 5 (a GNU/Linux desktop environment) is very satisfying. If you're considering buying a MacBook Pro, but are not sure about the price, I'd recommend you to visit the Friendly Linux Thread and give Linux a try : >>>/g//flt/.

If you need a computer, I'd also recommend you the ThinkPad General : >>>/g/tpg
>>
>>51407105
>the joke
>>
>>51405113
Mac users don't get virii.
They get cancer, like steve jobs.
>>
>>51410285

>stop disagreeing with me
>>
>>51412787
>stop disagreeing with me
I know you are but what am I?
>>
>>51410285

Stay mad bud
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.