[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ I turned my storage shed into an actual guest room which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: lg_wzr-hp-ag300h_m1_lg[1].jpg (25KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
lg_wzr-hp-ag300h_m1_lg[1].jpg
25KB, 500x500px
Hey /g/ I turned my storage shed into an actual guest room which in turn became my office.

I have cox cable and have that connected to a Motorola SURFboard which connects to a Buffalo WZR-600DHP Wireless Router.

Due to the walls in the main house I lose signal halfway in. Is there a router you recommend that I can set up as an access point to increase the range without losing the strength?
>>
>>46621175
Bump
>>
Point an Ubiquity antenna in a window towards the shed. Don't forget to disable Airmax.
>>
>>46621247
Would need the router in the office cause I am using wired connections for the PC and the consoles
>>
>>46621266
Point the antenna towards the house then.
>>
>>46621297
that sounds like a good idea but probably won't be able to spend over 100 bucks on that til the holidays... would a cantenna work in the mean time?
>>
>>46621175
Any router can be used as an access point.
>>
>>46621320
will they all work well? don't want to get, say a linksys if it degrades the strength cause it's a shitty router
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Wireless-AP/SubCategory/ID-335

>purchase access point
>configure AP to have same SSID, encryption and password as your main router
>run CAT-5e (or CAT-6a if you prefer) from your office router to the AP
>enjoy extended wireless range

alternatively

>acquire inexpensive wireless router
>disable NAT and DHCP
>configure inexpensive router to have same SSID, encryption and password as your main router
>run CAT-5e (or CAT-6a if you prefer) from your office router to a LAN port on the inexpensive router
>enjoy extended wireless range
>>
>>46621352
This might be my desperate move but looking for something with no wires
>>
>>46621403
>no wires
full pleb

you can set up a wireless repeater but the range extension is negligible. wireless performance overall is degraded.
>>
>>46621425
tbh the main house is for the other people. I got my wife's grandmother that wants to just sit in her room watching old shirley temple and disney movies from hulu. My wife and kids using the internet to browse the web and use their apps on their phones. and my son to play his xbox in his room.

All my stuff (PC, games, tv and shit) are here in the office so don't give much crap about their needs until I find out I have to disable the wifi in the bathroom or the bedroom
>>
>>46621175
Jesus shit. People have no clue what a router does. Or rather, the term "router" has been diluted to mean "any box that handles network."

A router moves packets from one network to another, where "network" is defined at the IP level. You probably don't want a router, because you probably want your office to be on the same IP network as your house.

What everone calls a router is in fact a router, wireless access point, and ethernet switch all in one box. Some times they even have a modem thrown in.

Anyway, you need to set the WAP (which could be part of a router) in your office to "bridge mode". This will get it to forward packets from the LAN in the office over the air to the LAN in your house. The WAP vendor probably calls "bridge mode" something different. YMMV.
>>
>>46621560
I've done this often. The fun part is that DHCP will often not work in this kind of setup.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.