[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is seriously the best distro >semi-rolling release (certainly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 12

This is seriously the best distro

>semi-rolling release (certainly more rolling than AUR)
>custom (read: better) debian repos
>no iceweasel autism
>no multimedia codec autism
>no bloat
>it just werks and is still very customizable
>great cinnamon integration if you like that DE, which you should
>>
How is it more rolling than AUR? Dont you need to upgrade mint every new release?
>>
>>45689835
It's based on debian testing, which is rolling
They're using snapshots of debian testing to make sure no broken shit gets in

AUR is very slow since package maintainer tend to be retarded and use fixed version numbers in their build scripts. Usually those shitty packages don't get updated unless somebody requests it or something breaks
>>
MATE or Cinnamon?
>>
>>45689863
MATE if you like GNOME 2, cinnamon if you have a good PC.
MATE uses 200 MB of RAM when idle, although cinnamon is more pretty.
>>
>>45689863
Screenshot is cinnamon, really like the way it's managing windows and workspaces
>>
>>45689854
Most of the AUR (that I use) are the -git packages, so every 30 minutes there's an update usually, if you really care about that.
>>
Question: Does it look like that from the moment you install it?
Also, where do I get it?
>>
>>45690252
Search "linux mint"
wow first result is linuxmint.com
wow there is a "Download" link on the front page
wow links to packages of linux mint
wow
>>
>>45690252
Debian cinnamon edition from the linux mint website

Screenshot is default cinnamon with the newest numix theme/icons and a custom wallpaper
>>
>>45690293
such help
very thanks
wow.
But seriously, my main question here is not where to get it, as googling Linux mint debian wields my result, but if that look is the default.

>>45690311
Thank you!
>>
>>45689819
Is anybody else having a problem with the numix folder icons? For me they seem too...yellowish.
I'd love to use the theme, used it until those folder icons changed
>>
>>45691040
I think they changed the icons, they definitely used to be less colourful

Might have to go through their github and pick an older release
>>
>>45689819
On Mint right now, any valid reason to change?
I don't care about repos
Running Firefox
I've downloaded the no-codec iso, running VLC atm
It works
Already on Cinnamon
>>
Mint sounds quite nice
However, I already have Ubuntu installed, which I really like, so I doubt that it would be worth reinstalling.
>>
>>45691122
>Debian version is rolling release
>If you're into customizing your system I definitely prefer debian over ubuntu, less preconfigured shit that may break
>debian has openCL stuff packaged
>debian dependencies not as retarded as ubuntu

Those were pretty much my main reasons

If ubuntu mint works fine there isn't really any reason for you to switch
>>
>>45691177
Yes, it works very well but your points are valid.
>Thanks
>>
>>45691122

>VLC
>>
>>45691221
Never had a single problem with it.
Alternatives?
>>
>>45691040
yeah it made me switch to faenza which i now like more
>>
>>45689819
>>no iceweasel autism
iceweasel is firefox, nothing is changed except name.
>>
>>45691302
Exactly. Literally autism, because of a fucking logo
>>
I was very reluctant to install Mint for a very long time. Then I got frustrated with other distros, because it would take me so long to fix even small problems. So I decided to give it try. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Everything literally worked. Video? No problem, everything's working. Want to launch some file in a weird format? No problem, here are the codecs, enjoy. Want nice fonts? They are here. WiFi? Everythings working. Suspend? Here you go. Language support? No problem.

Holy damn, I don't understand why aren't everyone using Mint. Literally the best thing ever. No hassle, no problems. everything works out of the box. Probably the only con is that it comes with a lot of programs preinstalled (like thunderbird, or banshee) that I don't use, but you can always uninstall them.
>>
>>45691321
Licensing of Mozilla programs made them non-free from Debian's non-freepolicy point of view.
>Debian is bad because it protects your freedom.
>>
>>45689819
Mint is my second favourite distro, after Arch.
>>
File: 1411401582089.png (79KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1411401582089.png
79KB, 250x242px
>no matter how many Linux distros you try in VM's and no matter how pretty they are, they will never be as functional as Windows
>>
>>45689819
Wallpaper pls
>>
>>45691221
epic /a/ meme (:
(mpc-hc for the epic win right?)
>>
>2020
>Linux distros can't into games

all of my keks, just stick to Wangblows.
>>
>>45689819
isn't mint debian soon moving away from rolling? I remember seeing that on the site and that's what turned me off of it
>>
>>45691563
The Nvidia binary drivers are great, and the Catalyst and opensource AMD drivers are improving. I have most of the games on linux that I like already.
>>
>>45691563
Could change with Valve trying to move to Linux. it won't happen overnight, but by 2020, who knows.
>>
>>45689819
>huge babby distro which isn't Gentoo
Nice try, incompetent fool!
>>
>>45691563
Looking how Windows is going to a worse direction with every new release, I wouldn't be surprised if soon there will be more games for Linux
>>
>>45691624
I see no benefits of using gentoo over this.
>>
>>45691593
>>45691595
Well Linux has pretty decent drivers, the problem arises with .net farmework, DirectX and Visual C++ libraries that some MMORPG and online gaming clients like LoL require. You can install them on Linux but they too many glitches and missing graphics ruin the experience. In the end if I have to dual boot to play games, I rather stick to Windows.

Cinnamon is laggy and "too polished" for an OS. I prefer Manjaro over everything else if I have to use a distro.
>>
>>45691640
Well, no, obviously games would have to be developed for Linux. That would mean using OpenGL (even though i think there is directx compatibility layer).
>>
Might give it a try since I'm using Ubuntu and don't really care about my e-peen.

Which one has the most "support" though?
Like. If anything goes wrong in Ubuntu there are millions of answers on how to fix it, and more websites has a nice "download to ubuntu" option instead of giving you some random file you have no clue what to do with.
>>
>>45691626
As a Windows user since 3.11, I can confirm that it is the most horrifying experience to use it. The enormous resources, disk space an duplication of files is a pain in the ass.

Unfortunately manufacturers and developers provide the good shit exclusively for Windows/OSX. I had a hard time finding a good video editing software on Linux.
>>
>>45691673
winsxs

We solve problem no one was suffering from. By using 20 gigs on your system drive. Enjoy ;)
>>
>>45691669
Go with Mint for ease and stability to start.
I don't like it because it's slow as hell on my machine. I use Slack now.
>>
>>45691660
I would quit Windows in a hartbeat if games and software natively running in Linux were available. We are forced to use this crap out of necessity.

I enjoy running Manjaro far more, its easier to manage and update. Windows takes me 24 hours to install all the service packs and updates each time I reformat.
>>
>>45691691
>no one was suffering from
Yeah, because no one in the world suffers from backwards compatibility issues...
>>
>>45691691
I still don't understand how formatting a drive to NTFS can take 10GB out of it.
No other fs I've used does this.
>>45691697
This.
>>
>>45691712
I wasn't. No one I knew was. Pretty much all software I see installs its shared libraries into its personal installation directory. And it solves the problem magnificently. But Microsoft just had to introduce overcomplicated solution that doesn't help anyone.
>>
>>45691697
>I enjoy running Manjaro far more, its easier to manage and update. Windows takes me 24 hours to install all the service packs and updates each time I reformat.
>install takes 5 minutes tops on my PC
>it starts updating
>oho god
>oh fucking do
>still updating after a few days
WHOT HE FUCK DESIGNED THIS CRAP
>>
>>45691697
>Update to Win 8.1 since I can't even update my Windows 7
>Second time updating
>Process fucks up and had to do a system restore to be able to boot again
>haven't updated since

Some processes in Linux just feels so much fucking efficient compared to Windows I don't even know what the fuck they are doing all day.

Shame about dem games tho. I usually have a dual boot but it's to much of a bother to switch every time I want to play a game.
>>
>>45691716
I have personally found that open source software outperforms closed source.

OpenGL, Linux drivers, VLC, Firefox, 7zip and so on, they work extremely well even on Windows. I can't believe what a huge piece of shit Chrome was till I switched to Firefox, the pages would load correctly and the slow performance was gone. For some fucking reason Chrome chokes my bandwidth and refuses to load pages if AdBlock Plus is running. I could even load 4chan on it properly for a month.
>>
File: wallhaven-19092.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-19092.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>45691588
please no

>>45691492
wallhaven
search for abstract
sort by favourites

plenty more where that one came from
>>
So mint debian edition doesn't require much on resources right?
I need something that doesn't eat RAM for my chromebook
>>
What kind of support for workspaces does Cinnamon have? I need a grid of 9 desktops for my workflow.
>>
>>45691746
That reminds me. What are the major differences?
I though Mint was already Debian based.
>>
>>45691563
>videogames past 16
lmao
>>
>>45691768
Mint was Ubuntu based as far as I know which is Debian based.
Maybe Debian edition skips Ubuntu
>>
>>45691746
Cinnamon uses quite a lot of ram, works fine if you have a 4gb chromebook

>>45691768
original mint is based on ubuntu which is based on debian sid

debian mint is based on debian testing
>>
>>45691782
>Cinnamon uses quite a lot of ram, works fine if you have a 4gb chromebook
I intend to use MATE
Anything I should know beforehand?
>>
>>45691780
>>45691782
Oh I see. Now I'm on the fence which one to download.
>>
>>45689854
Jessie is not rolling. Sid is SEMI rolling but Jessie definitely not.
>>
>>45691744
Yeah, I have as well. But Steam shits itself on most games my rig if the binary isn't installed.
>>
>>45691797
Some dude on github made an installer specifically for chromeos that runs debian / ubuntu in a chroot

So you have both debian AND chromeos running at the same time, with debian using wlan and shit from chromeos

Shit is awesome, tty1 is the chromeos desktop, tty2 is the debian desktop, you can switch between them at will, barely a hit on ressources since the debian desktop shares / uses all the system processes from chromeos
>>
>>45691819
Fuck that shit
I installed standard seaBIOS on mine and removed ChromeOS
The only issue I came accross is that some USB sticks can't boot on it because they power on too late.
>>
>>45689819
>all that shit installed by DEFAULT

If you usr anything other than Debian you are objectively a piece of shit.
>>
>>45691844
oh no software is installed
>>
>>45691637
ease of use/customization
>>
>>45691637
Because there are none.

>inb4 took the b8
>>
>>45691874
Neither of those are distro specific.
You can install different DE on different distro's
What does matter is the package manager and the underlying system(d)
>>
>>45691902
Yes, they are distro specific, because Gentoo does it better than other distros. The package management system offers unparallelled customization. You rarely have to fuck with things if your use flags are correct.

Aside from that it offers total control and not a prepackaged distro, which is different from everyone else. I'm not talking about choosing a DE, I'm talking about all the amazing features which only Gentoo has.

Also it does both stable and rolling release better than most distros.
>>
>>45689819
>not xfce
pleb
>>
>>45691874
Shirley you can't be serious...

>ease of use
>use flags
>accept_keywords
>masks
>two versions of gpg just for preboot auth
>circular dependencies
>make.conf
>no graphical installer
>give you rope with which to hang yourself

Pick one.
>>
is there even any DE that's good anymore?
I think the best one will be KDE5 when it comes out
>>
>>45692016
Gnome3 is the best that I've used for a laptop if you use a touchpad and navigate by keyboard most of the time. It's really nicely done in Debian testing. Very polished, fast and minimal interface.
>>
>>45691964
Well, there's never been a package problem I couldn't easily resolve, and most are caused by the user doing something stupid.

>accept_keywords
Being able to mask or unmask packages while using either stable or unstable is bad?

>make.conf
If you don't want to compile anything, install pacman. It's in the main portage branch.

>no graphical installer
>I can't into reading a guide or writing a script
Of course, the only valid complaint about Gentoo is installation time. (assuming you're not capable of planning ahead and letting a script run while you do other things.)

>>45692016
KDE or XFCE.
>>
>>45692055
I never said it's good or bad. It's a good feature. But it's not easy to use.
>>
>>45692054
>dependency of systemd
lol
>>
>>45692069
It's as easy as it can get! There's no other compile-from-source based distro worth using, other than Gentoo or Funtoo.

Aside from the package management, Gentoo has many other features which make life easier.
>>
>>45692093
I agree with that. Gentoo is by far the best compile from source Linux distro.

Not trolling but have you looked into PC-BSD?
>>
>>45692109
Because the latest release is really attractive -- freebsd jails, GUI package mgmt, warden to manage jails centrally, source builds just as easy as freebsd, native zfs... Lots of cool features that you might enjoy.
>>
>>45692109
I have. I'd definitely try it out but I'd rather use one of the more popular, well developed/supported BSDs. I'm not really awed by BSD like some on /g/ are, I still believe the linux world does it better in a few ways. I'd like to play with jails, though. On a server it might be cool. I think the next time I set up a personal server I'll install a BSD on it.
>>
>>45690311
Thanks, numix looks great
>>
It's not like installing codecs or flash takes longer than 1 minute to do anyway...
>>
>>45692180
Just FYI the PC-BSD folks also have "TrueOS" from the same installer for PC-BSD which has all the mgmt tools of PC-BSD without the GUI just for server use. Overall I was really impressed. It's also very well supported. It's vanilla FreeBSD under the hood but with mgmt tools overlaid (like portage overlays but GUI).

It's from the same folks that make FreeNAS. Overall I was really impressed. But I use Debian soooo... Yeah....
>>
>>45691767
It has at least 9
>>
>>45689854
You idiot, it's not based on Debian Testing. Go read their announcements. Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS.
>>
>>45692372
Nevermind I'm a faggot. Didn't see the Debian there. Disregard.
>>
>>45692445
>I'm a faggot
>tripfag

Yeah, definitely need clarification.
>>
>>45689835
it's just a bait thread. notice the "no bloat" thing.
>>
File: 1409143576416.jpg (53KB, 600x555px) Image search: [Google]
1409143576416.jpg
53KB, 600x555px
>>45689819
Arch
>it's easy
>it just works

Debian
>MUH STABILITY
>NO FUN ALLOWED
>ARE YOU USING GNOME YET?
>>
>>45691446
Kinda funny no one have replied to this with a counter argument.
>>
>>45689819

using it on and off since 2007

pros:
what you said

cons:

awful battery life on several laptops

awful sleep/wake experience, its like flipping a coin to decide whether it wakes up normally or you have to reboot because lol freeze/unresponsive

shit ssd support

shit multimonitor support, although they fixed it somewhat in this last 2014 version

shit wifi drivers

lol no webcam drivers

lol no mic drivers

shit touchpad support

therefore overall i give it a 9/10 if you're on a desktop but a 3/10 if you're on a laptop.

i'm sorry, windows 8.1 on a laptop is just master race, even on old hardware.
>>
>Not Pinguy OS
>Not Arch
>>
File: wow its fucking nothing.jpg (70KB, 248x252px) Image search: [Google]
wow its fucking nothing.jpg
70KB, 248x252px
>>45692581
>all that shit
>>
File: arch.png (28KB, 383x400px) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
28KB, 383x400px
>>45692509
>>
Will never use an apt-based package manager.

apt-get, apt-cache, and dpkg--all to do package management instead of rolling it into one tool, like the name PACKAGE MANAGER suggests. instead you get three retardedly split up package managers just because it doesn't want you querying the package database with the same tool you query local packages. Makes no fucking sense at all. Whoever made this choice should be waterboarded.
>>
This is fucking true
>Tried to use Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and other distributions
>DE crashes sometimes
>AM Radio sound quality even if I have equalizer ON
>Programs closes in background

Fuck this, going back to W7
>>
File: haisu.jpg (117KB, 560x490px)
haisu.jpg
117KB, 560x490px
>>45692509
>Debian
>Stability
KEK
>>
>>45692650
Debian has always been rock solid for me. You must be a babby.
>>
Mint is the best. Used it for more than a year and I never had a single problem despite handling it like a russian wrestling bear for development. The UI IS FUCKING SIMPLE. It just makes sense and does what it needs to do in a stable way, no bullshit attached. Really reminiscent of Windows too. Also cinnamon Win+arrow tiling makes my dick rock hard.
>>
This is why you just install Cinnamon on Arch. All of the UI goodness with none of the debian/ubunutu garbage like apt and ppas.
>>
uhm why does cinnamon copy so much from KDE?
>>
>>45691446
I only use windows for adobe photoshop and after effects. 'buntu is my daily driver
>>45689819
thanks OP. thanks to you I switched to cinnamon
>>
>>45691324
>but you can always uninstall them.

Isn't it a bad idea to uninstall any of the default packages?

With the way apt-get works one autoremove afterwards might end up removing your entire system.
>>
>>45689819
>no good office suite
>no good C++ or C# development environment
>shitty drivers
>barely any decent games
>shitty vendor support
Linux sure is great
>>
>>45691673
I haven't used Windows as long as you (only since 95) but Windows has never been better to use than it is now. You're just trying to get browny points with the /g/ nostalgiafag luddites.
>>
>>45691745
Not really as nice as OPs pic
>>
>>45692835
Because KDE is the only good DE.
>>
File: 2127-logo.png (42KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
2127-logo.png
42KB, 400x240px
>>45692509
>Arch
>>
I've got an ASUS EEE PC 215N and I've never actually used any linux distro, thinking of making the jump starting with Mint as it looks like a nice entry point.
Would it be difficult to find drivers that supports this Optimus shit? I'd quite like to play a couple of games on it, but it's not a huge deal if that isn't possible as I'd just be using it as an intro to linux to potential start dual booting my desktop in the future
>>
>>45689819
what is this theme OP?
>>
>>45691446
As someone who got back to winblows after using buntu for a while I strongly disagree
>>
>>45691446
true... every time I work on a Linux, I am glad it is only a VM and not my real work machine.
>>
File: 1415361855425.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1415361855425.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>45691550
nonono.
MPV and le ultra weeb filters m8.
what was it called? MadVR?

its good because a single autistic fuck wrote it!
much better than a software that a pack of experienced devs developed. amirite? uguu~ :^)
>>
>>45692986
well if you do what most people do on /g/ (live at mum's, fuck yourself with a dragon dildo, post edgy comments all day on the internet), then it's perfectly fine.

you can do nothing on it. which is what they do.
>>
>>45691446
I agree. Linux is fun to mess around in, but when I need to get actual work done I have to switch over to Windows.
>>
>>45693935

I'm sure all these companies and governments spend all day doing nothing too since they run linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters
>>
>>45694430
>Ernie Ball, known for its famous Super Slinky guitar strings, has used Linux as its desktop operating system since 2000.
Considering D'Addario strings are much better, what does this say about Linux?
>>
>>45694360
>thinks Windows isn't a pile of dogshit
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (71KB, 614x383px) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
71KB, 614x383px
>>45694530
TOPKEK
>>
File: 1405456043309.gif (921KB, 499x274px) Image search: [Google]
1405456043309.gif
921KB, 499x274px
>>45689819
>>
>>45692590

you forgot your tripcode
>>
>>45692910
Just install Photoshop through Wine. I did, works fine, the buttons just look shitty.
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.