[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It seems in the past few years, more Linux threads are appearing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: linux logo.png (81KB, 800x340px) Image search: [Google]
linux logo.png
81KB, 800x340px
It seems in the past few years, more Linux threads are appearing on /g/. Is Linux actually gaining traction? Has anyone here started using Linux recently?
>>
File: nigger.jpg (98KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
98KB, 600x800px
>>45609531
g has always been about loonix.

also prepair your anus for 2015 year of the linux desktop
>>
What are you talking about in the past few years? You only just got here. It's a given that Linux is the best OS you can use in a non-workplace.
>>
>>45609531
>Is Linux actually gaining traction?
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
not really
>>
>>45609673
>all computer owners and users are PC gamers

THIS IS WHAT WINFAGS

ACTUALLY

BELIEVE
>>
>>45609569
No it isn't.
>>
>recently

the year of the linux desktop was 2010 for me
>>
>>45609673
What this guy said >>45609706
>expecting a voluntary survey among a specific segment of a population to accurately represent the population as a whole
Do you have even a basic understanding of statistics?
>>
>>45609723
You know full well that Windows only has big software because of a market share that they cheated in order to gain, and that OSX is the worst part of a Mac.
>>
All Linux threads are filled with bait and shitposting, just like this one

It's the cancer of /g/ along with consumerism
>>
>>45609736
http://www.digitalnewsasia.com/digital-economy/censorship-shadowy-forces-controlling-online-conversations?page=0%2C0

You read English, bro? Online surveys are pleb-tier
>>
I posted everyday on /g/ between 2007 and 2009 and I can assure you that there have always been a shit ton of linux threads.
>>
>>45609751
No, friend, you are the cancer.
>>
>>45609706
>>45609736
I'm a linux user, you faggots.
reality is, people come and go, some start using Linux, some get bored of it.
can you give better statistics? I doubt it, and browser stats show more or less the same picture. and don't, ever, take distrowatch seriously.
>>
>>45609884
>get bored of an OS that actually works
>>
So, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04, and my TeamSpeak 3 is fuckered.

It won't fucking open, no matter what I do. I've googled the problem, I've read, I've followed videos. Nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>actually using linux
top kek
>>
>>45609531
everyone uses linux in all kinds of ways. noob.
>>
>>45609531
Started using linux about two years ago, never looked back. I haven't used Windows for anything other than light gaming since then.
>>
>>45609891
even Torvalds himself hates the current state of things...
how old are you guys? seriously, there is no point in denying reality, linux is a good OS for technically minded people, but it becomes annoying (to say the least) if you are a normal person that needs, say, microsoft office, or working graphics drivers, and so on. things are improving, yeah, but it's still shit overall

>captcha: ynobj
;_;
>>
I actually do think it's gaining traction, but it's still a very very small minority.

Just speaking from personal experiences, I've worked at two offices now that expressed interest in migrating from Windows workstations to Linux. Linux (Android aside) is spreading, albeit slowly.
>>
>>45609997
>microsoft office
LO works just fine. And before you start spouting bullshit, yes, it works just as well as Office.

>working graphics drivers
This is a valid point for people with a dedicated GPU, but I've never had a problem with Intel graphics.
>>
>>45609997
Go fuck yourself, my dad can control his, linux(what else?), car-board-computer beter than his Windhoos laptop.
>>
>>45609562
This picture is literally like a 5 minute walk from my house. If I remember right, the store with that sign is a coin store. It's just so weird seeing a picture by my house on the internet without me looking for it.
>>
>>45610071
So then what the fuck is the goose's problem?
>>
>>45610043
>LO works just fine. And before you start spouting bullshit, yes, it works just as well as Office.
delusion
>>
>>45609997
LibreOffice and xserver-xorg-video-radeon were included with my Debian install, and even if it doesn't work right then, editing the sources list and installing firmware-linux-nonfree is no trouble at all.
>>
>>45610113
Nah m8. I can open Microsoft OOXML formats and they work just fine, but then I open ODT documents in Office and everything's fucked because Microsoft purposely fucks the way they save OOXML documents because they're assholes like that.

The only part of Office that you could possibly argue is better the LO is PowerPoint.
>>
I use Linux. However, I may switch back over to win due to the lack of native support for Adobe products. (Photoshop, Illustrator...)

CS6 with Playonlinux and wine didn't necessarily work out of the box for me.

That's literally the only problem I have with Linux right now.
>>
File: 1376521380949.gif (2MB, 800x428px) Image search: [Google]
1376521380949.gif
2MB, 800x428px
It's a sad truth of our economic system that as soon as you dominate the market you don't lose it unless you seriously fuck up. Such is the case with operating systems... the problem is regardless of what operating system is better, microsoft and apple have leverage the linux does not, through embedding advertisements and partnerships in every corner of society. For example my college has a partnership with Microsoft where they supply computer science majors free copies of both consumer software and development tools. The reason is that they know how much it matters what platform the developers are working on, and that developers aren't quite as mindless as most consumers, they need an extra nudge to switch to proprietary tooling. Another example of apple&microsoft dig into the trenches is how almost all of their OS installs are on prebuilts. Don't get me wrong, I actually don't think Linux is ideal for the average consumer right now, but even if it was, it would take quite a swing in opinion to get manufacturers to budge, and so for others to even consider the OS as an option.

Linux is only popular in two places: servers and mobile. Servers because the technical benefits to using linux outweigh microsoft's advertising/influence. Mobile because Google needed a phone OS and decided Linux was a good place to start for Android. But more often than not the person buying the phone does not have ownership over its software... to run anything as root you'll need to jailbreak it which is needless to say a diceroll depending on what you have. So it's hardly a win for the Linux community as a whole that Android exists.
>>
>>45610214
>feeding the corporate monster
>not encouraging your friends to encourage their friends to spend the money they would put into Adobe and help make GIMP usable
>>
The only reason im not using linux is because my laptop came with windows 8 and ive been told it's impossible to run linux on hardware after windows 8
>>
>>45610247
They've been lying to you.
>>
>>45610214
Yup, me too. I used to use Premiere, so... can't say I'm happy.

>>45610238
And also, in my experience tooling from Microsoft makes a lot of things easier during development... they've done some good job there, I'd say.

>>45610247
This >>45610267

The only remotely possible thing that might prevent you from running Linux instead of, or together with, Windows 8 is SecureBoot... and even then, it's job is to tell you your OS has been tampered with. You can easily disable it on your BIOS. Not to mention there's some efforts around to make Linux work nicely with SecureBoot.
>>
>>45610053
we are talking about linux on the desktop here, aren't we? otherwise, we would be patting ourselves in the back for having android and a million other Linux-embedded devices

>>45610120
>editing the sources list and installing firmware-linux-nonfree is no trouble at all.
people want something that works out of the box, they are either scared of, or not interested in computers at all

>>45610214
use virtual machines, unless you need hardware features

>>45610247
bullshit

>>45610238
microsoft has fucked up many times... but people need windows-only software
>Linux is only popular in two places: servers and mobile
and routers and embedded and...
>>
>>45609997
>needs, say, microsoft office
aerospace here, do some CAD, run a machine. we use open office on windows
>>
>>45610071
whats with the goose?
>>
While we are on this topic.

Do you think linux devs missed a prime opportunity to mainstream linux during the late windows xp/early vista days? Almost everybody was still using PC's then and many people were really not happy with windows. I can remember a lot of different people playing around with linux back in those days and it sucked. Driver support was awful back then.
>>
>>45610334
>people want something that works out of the box, they are either scared of, or not interested in computers at all
Ubuntu.
>>
>>45610293
>And also, in my experience tooling from Microsoft makes a lot of things easier during development... they've done some good job there, I'd say.
Agreed, for me Visual Studio + VsVim work wonderfully together. And for all the shit the Microsoft gets they've actually made me hate them a lot less as a company by open sourcing .NET under MIT and working toward getting good Linux + Mac OS support for it. I'm not sure what they stand to gain exactly from having .NET be ubiquitous, but if it truly is cross platform and MIT license then I guess I can't complain
>>
>>45610349
I think its up to Linux uers at this point to spread Linux to friends, neighbors, co-workers

Any time someone asks you to fix their computer just install Linux on it.
>>
>>45609531
I upgraded from Windows recently
No regrets until now, Ubuntu is great
>>
>>45610247
lolno. I've installed a number of distros on more win8 laptops than I can remember.
>>
>>45610423
are you serious?. Im not as computer illiterate as I sound right now, but I know absolutely nothing about hardware
>>
>>45610544
Yes. It mostly works, you might have to disable secure boot (if it doesn't wanna boot from usb) and fastboot (if you want to access windows partition from linux), and you might wanna google around a bit to see if there are any problems with your configuration. Some bleeding edge stuff might not be supported yet, some weird combos too (Looking at you, Asus T100), but the large majority of windows 8 machines will run Linux just fine.
>>
bump for 2015: the year of linux on the desktop!
>>
>>45609706
Linux gamer reporting in.
Yes, this all works.
>>
File: evangelion_misato.jpg (134KB, 1004x564px) Image search: [Google]
evangelion_misato.jpg
134KB, 1004x564px
switched from windows to arch

feelsgoodman
>>
>>45610733
Im also a Linux gamer. granted, the only game I play is Urban Terror, but I take it pretty seriously

I built a pretty high end machine just to pin FPS to 125 under all settings maxed with lots of action and smoke
>>
>>45610733
post wallpaper please
>>
Simple answer is no, anon
Everyone here has been using linux since posix days.
>>
>>45610733
>Hearthstone
>works

How? I thought a recent update broke it in Wine.
>>
>>45610734
>Arch
ya dun goofed, man
>>
File: hue.png (40KB, 750x400px)
hue.png
40KB, 750x400px
>>45611509
If you use playonlinux you can use multiple versions of Wine. Keep an older version around that works well with a certain game.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.