[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If sound can be captured why can't smell?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 11

File: 1392231262231.jpg (6KB, 344x240px) Image search: [Google]
1392231262231.jpg
6KB, 344x240px
If sound can be captured why can't smell?
>>
>>45595224

Because jews.
>>
because smells aren't really real, just like taste.

it's pretty much your brain just fooling you into thinking something is there and using electrical signals to accomplish this. just think of it as sight, and how everything you're seeing is actually inverted and all in black and white

sound is actually real though
>>
>>45595268
bullshit
>>
>>45595268
but sight is also just my brain fooling me.
my brain is treating me like the retard that I am because I cant handle information raw.
>>
>>45595268
Smell and taste are as real as sound. Both is your brain interpreting something that's actually there a certain way.
>>
>>45595268
how can our lolis be real if our eyes aren't real?
Also I'm not a fucking robot
>>
Because sound is vibrations in the air that can be easily converted to an electronic signal by electromagnetic induction, whereas smell is caused by gas-phase molecules interacting with sensory compounds in our nose. This is not directly related to a limited number of properties that can be sampled, although we are able to profile smells using mass spectral analysis with fragmentation pattern library corss-referencing

If we understood the mechanism of smell better it might be possible to create a sensor that measures "smell". So far that is not possible. Inb4 Luca Turin shills
>>
>>45595268
sound is a pressure wave, the pattern it makes can be felt by a receiver, and emitted by a speaker to reproduce the same pattern.

the scent of something is carried by particles which pass through your nose. it's not an easily reproducible thing, since it would require the storage and emission of particles.
>>
>>45595268
Congrats. This is the most retarded post I've seen all month.
>>
>>45595290
so we're in a computer?
>>
Smell and taste are chemical receptors in your noise and tongue being activated by certain chemicals in the air/food. Sound I'd just waves being transmitted through the air.
>>
You're implying smell is as easy as audio. Sound is just waves over the air that we can measure. Smell is tied to our biology. Chemical reactions happen in the air, and our chemosensors detect this then interpret the data.
>>
you can't hear in space
but can you smell in space?
>>
>>45595224
Sound is captured by our ears. Smell is captured by our tongue.

Both act like receivers. Your brain then processes the sound/smell and relays those data back as recognizable patterns. Like sweet, aerosmith, sour, delicious, opening of cowboy bebop, etc.
>>
It can, but such capability isn't nearly as useful as capturing light and sound. And it's probably harder, you've got to have some way to analyze ever single particle and combination of particles that land on the sensor. And then what are you going to do with the information? To "play back" the smells, you've got to have some way to release particles back into the air in specific combinations.
>>
>>45595349
can you breathe there?
>>
>>45595327
more like behind a firewall and we cant control what it filters.
>>
My butt captures smells
>>
>>45595362
Not to mention gas. You've got to record the gases that hit the sensor somehow.

I'm not a fucking robot, Google, fuck off already.
>>
>>45595224
>find an empty bottle
>open it and capture the particles mixed in the air
>the vacuum should help
>close it
>release it
>>
>>45595224
>he never farted in jars as a kid
>>
fuck, what if we could digitize the chemical compounds that make up smells, and then transmit those smells by electrical signal through a brain implant?
>>
>>45595478
Fuuug, what if we culd have like a dream world, like the matrix, like where everytone has thier own personal hevean, you know man? Like Nurato, the hole madara uchiha plan with the rinnagan, where he wanted to put every person in his own pesonal dream world, but noon of the nijas approved? I think it' wouldnt be so bad, so I actually kind of argee with him, is that so wrong?
>>
>>45595478
>what if we could
we can't
>>
File: 1358124393426.jpg (189KB, 541x458px) Image search: [Google]
1358124393426.jpg
189KB, 541x458px
>>45595268

Not sure if retarded or bait. Good job.
>>
>>45595224
What is perfume if not captured smell?
>>
>>45596749

Dank stank of the ass of a muskox.
>>
>>45595508
We can, we will, and we haven't.
>>
>>45596746
definitely bait. someone won a nobel researching smell
>>
>>45595312
Took way too long for someone to respond like a decent human being...
>>
>>45595268
>and all in black and white
Someone doesn't understand light. You realize that 2nd grade students aren't allowed on this website, right?
>>
>>45595224
Moving air vs releasing chemicals.
>>
>>45595224
Christians:?
Atheists:?
>>
They could be digitized, but no one cares enough to do that primarily because they can't be recreated as easily as you can recreate sound waves.
>>
>>45595224
because things can go at the speed of sound or speed of light, but things cannot go at the speed of scent or taste. It's different
>>
>>45595224
It's easy to replicate air vibrations(sound)but you need material to produce particles(smell).
>>
>>45595349
Yes, smells like your blood as the capillaries in your nose gradually rupture.
>>
File: 1360109642904.png (38KB, 209x230px) Image search: [Google]
1360109642904.png
38KB, 209x230px
Because the sense of smell is caused by a chemical reaction, and therefore requires more than just air to facilitate the sense. Hard to reproduce.

Sound is just air vibrations. Easy to reproduce.
>>
>>45595442
This. I once farted in my brothers glass of milk. He would strongly disagree with the faggot OP.
>>
>>45597685
This is the only sensible post in this thread.

Smell and taste are triggered by chemicals, whereas sight and sound are triggered by vibrations. It isn't impossible, but good luck inventing a consumer device that can splice together molecules on-demand
>>
>you will never smell used panties online

What is even the point to computing
>>
>Sound is a wave
>sound is energy
>smell is a particle
>smell is a 'thing'
>>
File: hhhehehe.jpg (278KB, 883x883px) Image search: [Google]
hhhehehe.jpg
278KB, 883x883px
But we can't actually capture sound. We can only approximate it. Zoom in on any digital waveform using something like Audacity and you'll see how fucking blocky it is. Digital audio is a farce. Tape and vinyl has a superior resolution and is something closer to "real sound" but even then you have to contend with the imperfections of the physical media.
>>
pretty much everything with human experiences devolves into understanding the nature of consciousness, which is an unsolved problem. Science can help us figure out the cause and effect of behavior that leads to phenomenons such as "hearing" and "sight", but our understanding of smell is not as well understood. The mechanism that allows our noses to so uniquely identify a particle and translate that into a "smell" is mostly hypothetical.
>>
You can capture smell. It are just particles.
>>
File: hehe.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
hehe.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>45597919
>pretty much everything with human experiences devolves into understanding the nature of consciousness

dropped. Tired of these inevitable pseudo-intellectual consciousness posts

>he mechanism that allows our noses to so uniquely identify a particle and translate that into a "smell" is mostly hypothetical.

>>>/sci/ would love to hear that. Why don't you post it over there?
>>
>>45595224
sound is waves
smell is atoms
stallman is cute
and so are you <3
>>
>>45595349
>but can you smell in space?
yep, it smells like sulfur
>>
>>45597855
This is true with images and video too
>>
The most retarded thing i could think whit half don pedro ron bottle.

What would be the odds to make a little machine powered by a PCIe-Slot that contained chemicals that if mixed could reproduce different smells?
That had 2 tubes that go connected from the computer to your nose and your mouth.

The only thing i can think of this fucking up are 3 things.

1. That the chemicals container gets damaged and spreads around the motherboard and fucks it up.
2.That a error happens and you end smelling shit.
3.That this sounds impossible.

Soon we could reproduce everything whit it.

Whit OR (RIP) a good headset and whit this you wouldn't need to go outside anymore.
>>
But isn't light a particle?
>>
Sound and light are waves, they can be created and emitted easily with modern technology. Smell is your body detecting substances, actual molecules, so unless we find a way to fool your brain into thinking there is a substance present, you need the actual substance to trigger the smell.
>>
File: bait of the highest order.jpg (20KB, 477x347px) Image search: [Google]
bait of the highest order.jpg
20KB, 477x347px
>>45598392
Photons behave as both particles and waves, it's better to visualize them as rays. Light intensity only exists in our minds - the more frequently a photon strikes your retina, the brighter the light. Color also only exists in our minds - the three types of cones that exist on the retina each react only to photons whose wavelength sits within a certain range.

>>45597919

Smell is very well understood

Smell is caused by chemicals binding to olfactory receptors, which in turn may trigger a neural response in the olfactory bulb. The reason smell is so vibrant is because some of those chemicals inevitably end up in your nasal tract, which connects to your pharynx, and climb up and bind on receptors on your tongue, which work the same way, giving you the sensation of tasting smells. None of this information is "hypothetical".
>>
I've often wondered what smell-based media would be like. If I'm not mistaken, smell is one of our most acute senses, so I reckon if we ever managed to create something akin to music with smells, it would be really incredible.
>>
>>45600130
Is it possible then that we all experience smells slightly differently?
>>
>>45597855
U r stupid.

https://www.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
>>
File: awakening.gif (94KB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
awakening.gif
94KB, 325x244px
>>45601086
Every sense that human beings have is completely subjective and relational. I can only assume that your blue is the same as my blue, and that if you gave me the fragrance of a rose, I could tell you it was the fragrance of a rose. The actual smell and color is conjured up in our brains, but there is no way of knowing we are experiencing anything differently.
>>
Its been done over 4 years ago.
Here's one from last year.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2013/jun/28/scentography-camera-records-smells-memory
>>
>>45597948
no rhyme shit poem
>>
File: 85d091_3638735.jpg (90KB, 996x832px) Image search: [Google]
85d091_3638735.jpg
90KB, 996x832px
>>45595268
are you from murrica?
>>
Because you'd need incredibly advanced sensors able to detect all kinds of molecules and a huge database of fragrances to look up from. But recording is the easy part, to actually play the smells back, you'd need to synthesize the exact same molecules and emit them into the nose in real time, and we won't have such technology for a pretty long time, possibly not in our whole lifetime.
>>
Smell can be stored but not "replayed" as you might imagine sound and video are.
But yes, there's machines that can collect a smell and give you a 95% correct composition of it.
>>
>>45595268
retarded faggot
>>
>>45595268
I am jewish and can confirm this to be true
>>
Smell and taste are both touch.

Your body receives these senses by physically feeling microscopic particles.

Until we can accurate measure and print microscopic particles then they won't be able to be captured and reproduced.
>>
You'd be able to convert smell and taste to a signal if you figured out how to interpret the voltage difference caused by these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_ion_channels
>>
>>45601770
also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_lollipop
>>
>>45601734
maybe with a tiny 3d printer?
>>
What's the first smell you would synthetize if it was possible, /g/?

Emma Watson's feet for me.
>>
>>45597770
That's actually the way technology is pushing right now. Not for the purpose of making smellovision of course, but because there is huge demand for artificially synthesizing DNA/RNA strands and amino acid chains. In the future, you will be able to buy a box the size of a printer that can do just that, and almost any other organic molecule as well. You will also be able to buy a machine that can sequence the entire genome of thousands of organisms with the press of a button. As a biologist that likes to tinker with this stuff in my spare time as well, it's gonna be glorious.
>>
>>45597855
If you digitize the original with high enough fidelity you can capture all the information in the medium, that goes for vinyl or tape, or any other analog media. The information content no matter if it's analog or digital will always be limited compared to the real world. Vinyl doesn't magically contain infinite amounts of information..
>>
>>45595268
>guaranteed replies
>>
>>45595224
Smells are acutally generated in our brains
>>
>>45597816
Why would I want to do that online when I can smell panties with natural vagina lube irl?
>>
It can, we already have the technology and it's called scratch 'n' sniff
>>
>>45602991
Meat. Beef medium rare.
>>
>>45602991
Emma Watson's Beef
>>
>>45595224
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._T._Tutte

These two motherfuckers probably stopped WW2
>>
>>45595224
Sounds are just different frequencies. Smells are because certain chemicals touch sensors in your nose. Good luck reproducing all those chemicals.
Learn something about anatomy you fucking i/g/noramuses.
>>
>>45603273
Fuck... Wrong thread
>>
>>45603273
>stopped WW2
WW2 happened you retarded foiler.
>>
>>45603334
>the car was moving however it stopped.
Wow its like you are trying to be autistic
>>
>>45603334
It happened, and it's not currently happening, hence, it was stopped at one point.
>>
>>45603373
lel
Anyways, the war would have been stopped even if they didn't break the enigma machine. The US had nukes and if Germany was going to win they'd just nuke them. It's not like they have any reservations about just nuking willy nilly.
>>
>>45595224
Sound is just a mechanical wave of pressure. Smell is triggered by different compounds. If you need to transfer the smell of shit from point A to point B, you need some shit molecules in the receiving end to recreate the smell from point A. Perhaps, if you made a device that can read the molecule structure of the shit A into a digital form and another device with different shit molecules to the B end that would receive the information and put together the same molecules to create an identical smell of shit.
>>
>>45603399
>enigma
Hitler didn't use Enigma

Hitler used Lorentz Code.
>>
>>45595268
If you look at it like that then no experience of ours is real, retard. You can't apply the principle to only some of our stimuli.
>>
>>45603190
teach me your ways
>>
>>45597948
>sound is waves
>smell is atoms
Without atoms there wouldn't be sound either.

>>45595268
it's funny because everyone says this post is retarded but it actually isn't. of course, it's not completely true. but in a way, it is.
>>
>>45601734

Scary it took this long for someone to say this...
>>
>>45595224
It can be, just capture the molecules that trigger the certain electrical pulses that your brain interprets as smell.
>>
>>45603399
>>45603480
Even so, Turing did save countless lives during the war. We only nuked Japan because we had to, we didn't want to.
>>
The nose is a molecule detector. To recreate smells you'd have to be able to synthesise hundreds of different molecules on the fly for each smell. Or if you're planning on storing them, trillions.
Such synthetic abilities are far beyond the scope of what pharmaceutical companies do when making hundreds of thousands of different compounds to test as medicines.
It's far beyond cutting edge industrial chemical technology that takes billions of dollars and massive complexes to do.
You're not going to fit it in a box on your desk.

You're not going to get smellovision until we get matter replication- until digital signals, with application of energy, can be converted into the matter of your choosing.

>>45604945
Smell isn't even atoms, it's molecules. If it was just atoms it'd be easy to do.

Smell technically can be captured, but it's analysed by chromatography and mass spectrometers. You can detect smells but they require gear that's the size of a desk.
>>
>>45606196
Let's not get into the nuke japan debate, but you didn't have to nuke japan. You could have just firebombed hiroshima and nagasaki and killed 100,000 people instead of 150,000.

Or just not bombed japan at all, and sat around on your thumbs waiting for the japanese to give up out of your good will.

Japan's cities were being firebombed to shit, killing hundreds of thousands, before the firebombs.
In europe, they were dropping bombs with 6-14 hour fuses, mixed in with the regular bombs. The survivors could not be rescued because more bombs would go off.
In dresden, hamburg, and other parts of germany, massive firestorms were produced with conventional bombing, killing hundreds of thousands.

The nukes were just doing the same as regular bombing, but instead of requiring a fleet, it just required on plane.

Saying it was neccessary or not is a matter of hindsight, but the american servicemen on the fleet's radar ships that were the number 1 target for kamikaze attacks definitely owe their lives to a shortening of the war with nukes.
Conventional bombs were supposed to shorten the war, too. Didn't do shit.
And killed way more people than nukes.
>>
File: soon.jpg (223KB, 1920x1080px)
soon.jpg
223KB, 1920x1080px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_scent_technology
Can't wait to smell the vomit mixed with piss and rotting cows head on Postal 2.
>>
They can, that's why bomb sniffers exist
>>
>>45595378
ur butt captures a lot of things like my dick
>>
>>45595224
>tfw foot fetish
>tfw it will never be real
>>
>>45600130
That kind of understanding is insufficient for the kind of simulation required as we do with light and sound. How does our brain code for the various particles that are dissolved (which is tens of thousands, upwards of one million unique smells)? What mechanism is "detecting" the particular makeup of the dissolved particle? To say that olfaction is "well understood" is an overstatement. We're still limited to generating smells from things that we already know have a smell.
>>
>>45595224
Because sound is vibrations. That's not too hard to reproduce. Things like smell and taste are actual very small interactions between certain specific molecules and you. It's not easy to recreate a bunch of different molecules depending on what smell you want.
>>
>>45597001
Well at least they eventually turned up and contributed.
>>
>>45602991
Shit. So I can send people a bag of shit via internet.
>>
>>45595224
Why is this stupid thread still up?
>>
>>45604945
People are saying his post is retarded because it is, the fact that our brain is interpreting our senses is completely irrelevant to the question. Furthermore he says a couple things that are just obivously wrong, hence the bait comments

>>45606207
It wouldn't be much easier if it were atoms as you're smell-o-speakers would still need element resevoirs
>>
File: hereyougo.jpg (54KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
hereyougo.jpg
54KB, 625x626px
>>45595268

le baited maymay guys!
>>
>>45603404
I chuckled heartily.
>>
>>45595224
Smell isnt a wave.
>>
>>45597836
dont use that argument.

All particles are waves. Its whether or not the wave side is the defining factor in our perception of said thing.
>>
It can.
If you actually did basic fuckin' chemistry, you'd know that reactions between mineral acids (shit like hydrochloric and sulphuric demon pisswater) and organic acids (shit with loads of oxygen, carbon and hydrogen in it like lactic and citric angel diarrhoea) creates gassy crap called esters. Like how light creates images in your eyes, these gassy liquids produce smells when their emissions go in front end of your oxygen circuits.
This is how perfume is often made, but that means it's fag shit and these basics are all I know about it.
>>
>>45595268
replying to an epin post
>>
>>45610675
To elaborate on the creation of smells that come from raspberries n shit, all you need to know is what the plant needs to survive. Minus that from what you put into it, and then fit the ions you got left into some compound that look vaguely similar to things that belong to the required acid groups. This is like trying to work out what image you're projecting from how many volts are in the power current though, so trial and error is an obvious step in development.
To synthesise all known smells and leave room for the ones we don't, you'd need all ions used in acids and the conditions to make em do shit - you'd also need a way to control the "amplitude" so you don't hurt your nose hairs
>>
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_nose

Olfactory sampling and simulation is already in developing.
>>
>>45610772
Hi anon,
This is a tech board, no smell cannot be captured.
The most advanced sensors currently deployed ate gps, humidity, ambient photosensitive sensors, accelerometers, microphones.
Answer why? Sound is produced by forced
>>
>>45603092
Will I finally be able to print my waifu?
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.