[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ubuntu touch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (49KB, 634x372px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 634x372px
Can we have an Ubuntu touch/phone discussion in here?
>>
>>45578161
Has it been released yet?
>>
No I don't think so, it's supposed to release in China next year though
>>
I've been really excited to see it come out, I would download it onto a nexus 4 but that process seems extremely complicated
>>
>>45578219
Multirom can install it really easy.
>>45578161
Tried it on my Nexus5, wasn't good.
>>
>>45578276
Multirom? Can you describe the process? I thought I could download the files to a thumb drive and import it to a tablet but apparently that's not an option.
>>
They're fucking up the same way Mozilla did. You can not release a new platform on reheated android handsets. It's shit for development, it's shit for the consumer, and the first issue you are going to have to deal with is manufacturers deciding your platform isn't cool enough for them to bother creating update images for.

Jolla's hardware might be shit, but at least it's clear which device you buy if you want to get the intended Sailfish experience (no matter how good or bad it might be). The fact they've seen Mozilla turn around and put out a FxOS reference handset should have shown them how stupid not doing so is.
>>
>>45578337
I agree, I would like to at least see it on a device though. I haven't heard about sailfish, impressions?
>>
>>45578337
I was under the impression you would update just as you would your Ubuntu desktop. Perhaps I'm wrong though.
>>
>>45578395
How do they update it on pc? Sorry I don't use Linux please don't hate.
>>
>>45578433
sudo apt-get update from the terminal.The phones have a fully working terminal.
>>
It'll probably be shit, but its a nice idea.
>>
>>45578467
Wait they have a fully working terminal?!
>>
>>45578515
Si. Read the info on the Ubuntu site. They say it's designed to be the best of both worlds. Installing software can be done just as you would on the desktop too.
>>
>>45578586
and people hate ubuntu touch :(

damn, i cant really wait for this release
>>
Android phones already come with a terminal and multiple compilers and IDEs so no thanks :^)
>>
>>45578604
While I use and like Android's Terminal, it has little use unless you are rooted. Ubuntu would make rooting unecessary.
>>
>>45578704
>2010 + 4
>your device isn't rooted

Why?
>>
>>45578515
you know... keyboard :(
>>
>>45578721
It is. Merely pointing out you would have control out of the box.Not sure about customizing though.
>>
>>45578161
Is it possible to install it on my nexus 7 (first gen) tablet? Android 5.0 just fucked it completely.
>>
Sailfish is far better than Ubuntu Touch at this point. They really need to up their game big time if they want to challenge anyone at all.

Sailfish OS > Ubuntu Touch > Firefox OS > WebOS > Tizen > Anything else.
>>
>>45578161
install jolla
>>
>>45579017
Can I have some sailfish impressions? Pics please.
>>
>>45579017
You helped with this thread approximately 0%

-OP
>>
File: Jolla.jpg (3MB, 2592x3888px) Image search: [Google]
Jolla.jpg
3MB, 2592x3888px
>>45579146
Been using it for a few months and compared to my old wp 8 lumia this just rocks. Sure there are a couple of bugs here and there, but overall I'd say that there is no way back to other phones unless Jolla as a company goes extinct ( I assume that they did't sell even nearly as much as they wanted).
>>
>>45579565
What's so great about it
>>
>>45579565
It looks cool, where can I get it?
>>
>>45578161
I would like.

>>45578176
nop, but they are talking about the meizu MX4 pro on january/february. I think they'll permit to install or they will sell it on the MX4, and probably the MX4 compact (right now it's called meizu K52).

>>45578181
They want to open their market to the world. The MX4 is sold in my country.

>>45578337
I wonder if the manufacturers aren't tired of android and if they can decide to switch to a more interesting OS.

>>45578515
Yes and it doesn't look bad at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-ML38_CLzwc

Something I can't find on the internet is the battery life
>>
Isn't Ubuntu touch just Cyanogenmod with mobile unity on top?
>>
Did any of you guys chip in the Ubuntu Edge IndieGoGo campaign?
>>
Give it two years max and chrome os and android will have merged and no one will remember ubuntu touch.
Also Windows 10 will converge.

Can't wait for the future.
>>
>>45578161
It's a neat OS to install and get going, but as a daily driver, I didn't like it. All the customization and apps on Android are hard to replace.
>>
>>45581503
As a follow-up, I meant it's hard to replace the shit I already have set up in this environment. Ubuntu's marketplace doesn't have good alternatives to most of my shit yet.
>>
>>45580118
Wow the terminal actually looks pretty damn good!
>>
>>45580948
additionally, Android and iOS wil copy/steal any good ideas to come out of Ubuntu Touch. People will have less reason to swtich when their current platform does the same things, and they dont have deal with switching platforms/ecosystems.
>>
Will they Jew all my data though?
>>
No, but thanks for caring. I barely understand what you mean here though.
>>
I mean will my privacy be respected
>>
>>45580201
nop it's another OS.

>>45585243
it's as free as the desktop version I guess.

For the people who have installed it, how good the battery life is ?
>>
>>45578323
Installing Multirom pretty much is the process. That app does everything else for you.
>>
File: meizu_mx_4_1-650x487.jpg (37KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
meizu_mx_4_1-650x487.jpg
37KB, 650x487px
> Waiting for an Ubuntu phone.
Get a Meizu MX3, it already runs Ubuntu touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQtGl4MIJic
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.