[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows vs Android on tablets. Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

File: windows-vs-android-bagus-mana.png (29KB, 534x300px) Image search: [Google]
windows-vs-android-bagus-mana.png
29KB, 534x300px
Windows vs Android on tablets.

Discuss.
>>
Android has more programs
>>
Android, windows is shitty.
>>
>>45527217
Not true.
>>
>>45527198
>2027-14+1
>pitting anything vs anything else on any form factor
>expecting anything else but shitposting
>>
tablets are gimmicks that are useless
>>
>>45527405
Based on what?
>>
>>45527405
Still more useful than desktops.
>>
>>45527198
Android lags down pretty easily. Rather windows if it is actual windows.
>>
>tablets
kek
>>
>>45527198
MS surface is the best tablet on the market.
>>
>>45527198
Android has mksh.
I like mksh. It's pure.

Does the mobile version of the Windows system has PowerShell, or some better shell than cmd?
>>
File: ondav97wjdu1001.jpg (22KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
ondav97wjdu1001.jpg
22KB, 720x405px
>>45527649
Too expensive. China is already pushing out retina screen tablets for less than 200$.
>>
>>45527679
>China
>Windows 8

nigga you are delusional...
>>
>>45527693
smaller than 10 inch tablets get free W8 OEM licences.
>>
>>45527198
There is no good tablet OS to be honest. iPads have a generally better tablet-optimized app selection than everything else but the OS restrictions suck, Android apps work decent on tablets even when not optimized, but it's still a smartphone OS ultimately, Windows just frankly lacks apps and the gestures are not thought out very well, though the general idea is good. I really hope Sailfish will nail it, gestures, split-screen, mostly open OS - they have conceptually everything to make it work, but being a small project there's no guarantee it will.

Restricting the choice to the OP post, for the general user I will hands down recommend Android. But I have bought a Windows 8.1 Bing tablet and for my use case it's great. Like I said, it's pretty far from being a great tablet OS, but I just need a tablet with full Windows and I got used to some of the idiosyncrasies. I hope Windows 10 will improve things and Microsoft makes a better app store. Classic mode works as expected, but Metro mode really needs some improvement. I'm enjoying the fluidity of apps though, I have a 190$ 2048x1536 Atom-equipped 8-incher and the Metro apps except for browsers perform really, really fluid. More so than the apps on my more powerful phone with lower resolution. But some of them are riddled with bugs... No wonder since nobody cares enough to debug them.
>>
>>45527770
Havnt you heard that china doesnt like windows 8 because muh nsa backdoors?

if anything, theyll produce them and only sell them to western markets
>>
>>45527845
Uhhh, that's the gubmint.

Also, they do sell them domestically as well
That's why they are so cheap anyway domestic chink brands have an insanely small profit margin
>>
>>45527770
>>45527693
>>45527679
I've received my 8-inch Z3736F-equipped 2048x1536 on friday, I paid $189 for it. It's really well-built, has a mostly aluminum body and works pretty well with things where the resolution doesn't become a big bottleneck. The battery doesn't last long though, but I expected that.

I'm using Cover to read manga on it, it's absolutely perfect, dead simple and works better than Android apps (Perfect Viewer a laggy ugly mess), though unfortunately shareware, I just avoid paying by keeping my library under 25 archives. Visual novels work fine except for some that act retarded with touch, I use Touchmousepointer for those (Hanabira for the most part, it's known for having a retarded engine in general).

So yeah, there are no miracles, Chinese tablets are still Chinese tablets, but they are making some good shit now, I'm really happy with what I've got. I would still recommend an Android tablet for most people though (miPad for manga/pdf, Shield for everything else), my use case is very specific and I knew what I would be getting into by purchasing a Windows tablet. No regrets though.

It's Teclast X89 Z3736F if anyone's wondering, called, duh, "tPad" on the box, but not in stores.
>>
>>45527906
Nice. I'm getting an Onda V975W on Wednesday. Spec wise it looks pretty similar to your tablet. Except that it has a 10" screen and 60% larger battery.

http://www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v975w-quad-core-win-8-tablet-9-7-inch-retina-screen-ram-2gb-wifi-32gb.html
>>
>>45527964
>tfw got a Onda V975W for 160$
>The seller's account got frozen
>but a package got shipped

What's happennig
>>
>>45527964
This was the tablet I was gunning for originally, it's the most popular out of these, but when I saw that there's an 8-incher I went for that instead. I know the battery sucks but those two inches really matter for me since I need it to be maximum portable and not stand out much.

Teclast X98 Air 3G or Air II are also a good alternative for V975W, same specs, same price, decent reviews. Onda's more well known outside of China, but they're both good.
>>
>>45528028
www.aliexpress.com/item/Tablet-PC-Intel-I5/1905231155.html

Should I?
>>
>>45528252
Sounds ok, except for
>price
>Windows 7
>>
>>45528252
I think it's overpriced and I'm bothered by the excel sheet below listing Z3740 instead of i5. Depends on your use case but personally I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>45528329
>Win 7
>bad
Also, It's cheaper than a surface and with the same CPU
>>
>>45528577
I'm not sure it uses the same CPU, check the spec sheet below. When you see such inconsistencies it's a reason to doubt the seller.
>>
>>45528517
Are there any chinese Surface clones?
>>
>>45528749
I don't think there are any of note, though I might be mistaken. Most chinese manufacturers try to keep prices below $300 since they're targeting the domestic market and that makes making Surface clones an almost impossible task. Unfortunately you'll need to shell out Surface prices for Surfaces or analogues.

Then again, if an Atom tablet with a keyboard is surface enough for you, there are a lot of options.

Gotta admit that Surface is a unique product that's a marvel of engineering in its own right, even though it is priced incredibly high. If it was a convertible instead of a tablet with a hinge it'd move a lot of units, but Microsoft wants to push their own vision with it.
>>
>>45527198
Anything but square UI.
>>
>>45527217
>Android has more programs
>Than Windows
Nice m8 you gave me a gud laff
>>
Will Windows 10 be a free update for W8 tablets?
>>
>>45528957
Android has hands down more programs that work well on keyboard-less touch devices including tablets. This is really hard to argue against. I'm still using a Windows tablet for reasons (classic apps being the most important one of them), but I weep at the amount of Metro apps.
>>
>>45528749
There are plenty of Surface clones, but there are no Chinese Surface clones.
The direct competitor to the Surface include the:
Wacom Companion (Japanese, overpriced)
Dell Latitude 13 E7350 2-in-1 (Convertible Ultrabook, digitizer optional)

Poor Man's Surfaces include:
The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (poor processing power and RAM, also charges badly)
The Dell Venue Pro 8 or 11 with Intel i5 (The pen and keyboard are optional accessories)
The ThinkPad Tablet 8 (competitive with the Dell Venue, not gimped)
The Dell Latitude 10 (Business version of the Dell Venue)
>>
Windows has native Heroes 3 support, Android has to use some emulating software. Windows on tablets FTW
>>
What's the cheapest 64gb micro SD-card to buy?
>>
Full Windows, none of that RT shit
>>
>>45529198
>Android has to use some emulating software.
No, Android uses open source port of the original engine.
>>
>>45529137
x86 Windows Tablets can install anything on them. Even Android. Even Gentoo.
Android tablets are pathetic in their hardware support.
If you want a tablet that is a real computer, you want a Windows tablet. That's why I bought a ThinkPad Tablet 2. Regardless of how underpowered it is, it is perfectly reasonable for me to plug in any peripherals designed for PCs and expect them to work perfectly. Barring the TPT2, which can't deliver enough amperage to peripherals with motors, this is the case for most Windows tablets.
You can't say the same about Android tablets.
>>
>>45529308
>If you want a tablet that is a real computer, you want a Windows tablet.
Most people don't care about this.
>>
Windows is non-free closed-source
It should not even be considered to be used as an operating system

I can live with certain programs being closed-source and/or non-free; but an operating system absolutely must be free and open-source or it is to be avoided

Android is the best OS for phones and tablets because it is FOSS
>>
>>45529364
>an operating system absolutely must be free
Why?
>>
>>45529308
Yes, that's why I have a Windows tablet as well. It's just that nobody needs a real computer these days.

But Android emulation is still pretty mediocre. That said, new 10-inch Teclasts have dual-boot between Android and Windows by default which is pretty darn nifty.

>>45529364
The drivers for all components are still closed source though. Combined with Gapps this is enough reason to worry if you do worry about these things. I stopped caring because I want to get on with life (I know I'm posting on 4chan for fuck's sake, but regardless).

That said, I did order a Jolla Tablet, the GUI isn't open but most of the OS is. Maybe they'll get Intel to open source some drivers, too, who knows, although I'm not really counting on it.
>>
I guess x86 windows 8 on a tablet could be ok but the main issue is that the "hybrids" are using intel processors that just aren't ready for mobile yet.

Take SP3, the i5/i7 makes no sense, they are ulv (low performance) parts and you will never be able to take advantage of them because if you run any kind of workloads that could use it you are going to be draining battery fast + the CPU/GPU will both throttle quickly so what is the point? You get a half ass tablet and an even worse ultrabook for more than the cost of just buying one or the other that is better for its purpose.

Maybe the Surface Pro 5 and up will be where it hits a sweet spot but currently all the TabTops I have tried have been mediocre at best.
>>
Windows tablets can run Android, Android tablets can't run Windows. I think from here the choice is obvious.
>>
>>45529831
The issue is that Windows tablets don't run Android well unless it's dual boot or these are very powerful tablets we're talking about.
>>
>>45529887
I have a dual boot. What's the issue again?
>>
>>45529485
Because it is the software that operates your hardware.

Its like buying a car but paying someone else to drive you around in it
>>
>>45529943
>Its like buying a car but paying someone else to drive you around in it
I don't mind that. In fact, I would prefer it if I could afford it.
>>
>>45529547
>The drivers for all components are still closed source though.
>all
no

>Gapps
fdroid
>>
>>45529943
No. It's like driving a car and not knowing how it is built. I still drive it.
>>
>>45529927
You have dual boot, so you obviously don't have an issue.

Out of curiosity, what tablet do you have?
>>
Windblows wins
>>
>>45530029
no. its like buying a car and not being allowed to pop the hood

it being against contract and you could be sued if you change your own oil

if you take a picture of your engine you could be sued

if you let anyone else ever drive your car you coud be sued

the manufacturer may randomly decide your not using yoru car properly and take it from you or lock it down

you will have to constantly start and restart the car to update it
>>
>>45530092
Dell Venue 8 Pro
>>
I've been using Linux exclusively for the past five years. I just ordered a W8.1 tablet. What does this make me?
>>
>>45530338
A guy who wants a good tablet.
>>
>>45530338
A guy who wants to install Linux on his tablet.
>>
The only problem I have with my win 8 tablet is the browser. If I use chrome on desktop or metro mode the tabs are tiny as puck and make it hard to tab over and close shit. I ended up using ie metro and its as smooth as my desktop in browsing and video watching, even 4k video and Netflix. Also metro id tab support is built for finger browsing while chrome is not. The only downside is metro ie disables all plugins. Oh and being able to install native win apps like steam is super useful
>>
>>45527906
>I use Touchmousepointer for those
Does it work so that you can drag the mouse cursor around the screen instead of just tapping things?
>>
>>45527679
>China
>retina
there already are HP or Asus WinTabs for 99$(at least in the US)
>>
>>45530751
Both the chinkpad's and Apple's screens come from LG and have 264 PPI.
>>
File: Capture.png (64KB, 923x672px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
64KB, 923x672px
>>45530612
Did you seriously believe that they didn't have a solution to this?
>>
>>45530866
That makes a bunch of apps fuck up and buttons become unlikable since they. Are bellow the taskbar and windows unresizible
>>
Is it possible to access BIOS on the Win tablets without an OTG keyboard?
>>
>>45529698
>Maybe the Surface Pro 5 and up will be where it hits a sweet spot

>implying MS will survive 2015
>>
it really doesn't matter unless you're doing more than just reading on your tablet. If you're using it as a portable second screen then it doesn't matter. Comics, pdfs, emails and the like are done well on both platforms. If you're actually making heavy edits to content then you're probably better off with a laptop
>>
>>45532330
You can choose an option to reboot to the UEFI in Windows
>>
>>45527198

Windows. I could plug my POD to the tablet and record guitar with maximum portability. That's comfy as fuck.
>>
>>45527198
ipad

or wait a few years for everyone else to catch up
>>
>>45535299
Catch up to what?
>>
Windows tablets are UMPCs first, tablets second. They have a small range of tablet apps for basic tasks and are reasonably usable for desktop applications with touch, but the best experience is with a keyboard case and wireless mouse.

If you just want to use it as a tablet with no other input devices, an Android device is better for you.
>>
Anyone used Unity or GNOME 3 on a tablet, particularly the Venue 8 Pro and similarly specced tablets? How well does it work?
>>
>>45535478
I doubt it works. These tablets run on such a freaky hardware I don't think the driver support is too good.
>>
>>45535441
>Windows tablets are UMPCs first, tablets second
My favourite thing about them. We've needed UMPCs back for a long time, this isn't even close to the best form factor, but it's better than an ARM tablet running Android.
>>
>>45535624
I think they're great as UMPCs. Maybe not the most ideal form factor for them, but a tablet in a keyboard case is pretty nice. I just wish they made better keyboards in those cases and included touchpads or a trackpoint.
>>
>>45527198
ios
>>
>>45527198
Surface pro 3 is actually really, really good. Its amazing for taking notes, its like having access to 1000 full binders all on your tablet.

>inb4 shill
>>
>>45535823
It's also really, really expensive.
>>
File: 1417664007075.jpg (301KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1417664007075.jpg
301KB, 1280x720px
>>45527198

Would anybody recommend the hp stream 7? all I really wanna do is browse the web and maybe use spotify with super light gaming.
>>
>>45536015
>1 GB RAM
It's shit.
>>
>bought my first tablet about a year ago
>nexus 7 2nd gen
>love it

>fastforward to today, all I want to do on it now is play VN's and I can't

guess I'm getting a windows 8 tablet soon
>>
File: 1417891409711.png (646KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1417891409711.png
646KB, 1280x720px
>>45536074
You can actually run some VNs on Android but of course not as many as on Windows.
>>
Best windows 8 tablet for Visual Novels?

200$< budget
>>
>>45536335
Go with the Chinese ones. There are few already mentioned in this thread.
>>
>>45536335
Venue 8 Pro

It plays 2hu too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VncJMmLxQ94
>>
>>45536052
is that not good enough to browse 4chan and read pdf files?
>>
>>45536442
Just opening the browser with no tabs takes probably like 700-800 megs.
>>
Should I get an Asus Vivotab Note 8? I want a tablet that I can draw and take notes with, but I don't want to spend $700 for a Samsung Note whatever the fuck 12 inch XL
>>
>>45536466
well shit, I guess I'll go for the venue 8 pro then.
>>
>>45536015
it's technically a free tablet/a free copy of microsoft office depending on how you look at it, so it's not godawful because of that
>>
For tablets obviously Windows is better. It has no foothold on mobile though.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.