[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

File Hosting General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
File Hosting General

Anyone have experience with Owncloud? I have a few extra 3tb drives i'd like to plop into one of my old Powermacg5s (Running debian headless) and get remote access for movies/music/documents, However, since I use the thing as a seedbox, I have it connected to a VPN. Is that going to fuck me up when I try to connect? Anyone have any tips, or want to ask their own questions?
>>
Owncloud needs a fucking beast machine. Your powermac isn't going to cut it.
>>
>>45505039
Yeah? How beast are we talking? I could also use my 8320 PC, but I use that as a desktop computer and I don't want to fuck up what i've got. I have 24Gb of ram and an SSD if that matters
>>
Is there a way to share files from a linux (ext4) partition on my LAN? Or should I just install FreeNAS?
>>
>>45505039
I once ran ownCloud on a PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.5 Server. It worked well, but only just.

A G5 should be more than enough for just yourself.

The only other problem is that ownCloud tends to be a touch unstable at times. There's another thing called Pydio (also FOSS), which has a stable backend and works great in the browser, but a pre-alpha desktop sync client that didn't even work when I tested it. If you're just going to connect by WebDAV, it's perfect.
>>
>>45505460
Thanks for the advice. I'll play with Pydio and see if I can handle a web-based interface. Seems like a powerbook wouldn't have the capacity for a nice server though. What did you use it for?
>>
>>45505023
I run it on an extra Lenovo Ideapad running debian and shove it in a shelf.

It's not the most responsive on it, but it's fast enough to get the job done, just don't expect to to be super snappy.

Other than that, it's real neat, It's allowed me to get completely away from Google Drive/Notes/Music and it supports server-side encryption and desktop sync clients.

Yes it can be unstable, but if you actually read your changelogs, everything will be fine.
>>
>>45505023
Why do you need a web interface? If you're only accessing it with your own devices you can just use SFTP, right? Are you giving other people access to this thing, or what?
>>
>>45505547
>Are you giving other people access to this thing, or what?
I wanted something with a nice GUI because my girlfriend would also use it. Also i've never done network stuff more difficult than ssh so I wanted to start easy mode. Is SFTP an all-around better option? Do i need to install anything, or is it just a matter of setting permissions? Excuse me if I sound like a moron

Also there is the possible VPN issue. Dunno if that makes a difference
>>
>>45505819
SFTP is FTP over SSH, so it's authenticated and secure. It's built into OpenSSH, the SSH server by most if not all Linux distributions, but you have to configure it. You can use key based authentication so you don't have to enter a password, and then all you need is a properly configured client application. You can use a standalone FTP client like FileZilla or you can use a file browser with SFTP support. Many file browsers have SFTP support, including at least one for Android. Exactly how you would set it up would depend on the client software, but you could probably get it set up so that you could browse remote directories in much the same way as local ones.

I use SFTP to transfer files to and from my phone, but so far I've only been able to access my phone's server with client software on my desktop. I haven't figured out how to set up key-based access in my phone's client, but I know that it's supposed to be possible.
>>
>>45505989
Thanks for the advice! GF has a windows phone, so i'll have to see if I can find a client for it. (I know there are a few SSH clients so i'm sure I can find something) Would be sweet for her to be able to transfer pictures and documents to my computer from anywhere.
>>
>>45505023
I read that this has a shitload of holes in it, true/false? What are good alternatives?
>>
>>45506153
An SFTP client will have all of the same permissions that an SSH client would have, meaning that it will have all of the permissions of a particular user on the host machine. If you don't want her to be able to read and write to all of your files, create a user for her and use file permissions to determine what she can and can't do.
>>
>>45505023
yeah, been using it on my VPN since I've been too lazy to use it some other way.

It is great, though I should upgrade it more often just in case. Been great for syncing stuff to my desktop, laptop, phone, and tablet.
>>
>>45506254
Thanks. I suppose i shouldn't just give her root access.

>>45506297

Are you able to select which files to sync? For example, maybe I just want a few songs on my phone but all of them on my laptop. Could I do that?
>>
>>45506813
yeah you can download them one by one on the phone client. the desktop client will autosync them all
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.