[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you prefer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

What do you prefer?
Physical
On Screen
or Capacitive buttons?

please specify why you don't like the others.
>>
I don't care. I do care about what my phone runs though. Which is why I'm using a candy bar dumb phone Nokia 220 and ditched my snooping, tracking smart phone.
>>
>>45475141
I would love a phone that;
-calls / texts
-has google maps
-has a decent sized screen to view maps
-has some other apps
-has a slide out keyboard
-is small

:(
>>
On screen, customization and thinner bezels trump all
Capacitive annoy the shit out of me, physicals nice but not great either
>>
File: blackberry-passport1.jpg (169KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
blackberry-passport1.jpg
169KB, 970x546px
>>45475195
This would be nice if it was a little less wide.
>>
>>45475212
I want to try that so fucking bad.
>Actually looks nice
>Actually not a bad idea
I hope we can get weird with formfactors like 2010-12 again.
>>
>>45475212
>>45475195
http://global.blackberry.com/en/smartphones/blackberry-classic/en.html

Coming soon for 300-400$ off contract.
>>
>>45475212
It looks fucking stupid. Instead of getting taller phones are blackberry trying to start a trend for wide phones? HOW FUCKING WIDE CAN WE GO NIGGERS?! HOW WIIIIIIIIIIIDE!?
>>
>>45475269
That looks really good.

I've never used a Blackberry before, how is their app support? I've heard its really lacking... I know for a fact my bank doesn't have an app on it.
>>
>>45475270
I find it stupid that you guys have a problem with it's wideness. While no one even has a problem that the keypad is less than 1/4th of the phone? Imaging how bad the typing experience would be, The chances of it falling seem pretty high while typing (The bold and classic series do the keypad perfectly). I still wish to try this phone.
>>
Onscreen because you can turn them off so they aren't as distracting.
>>
>>45475291
Runs Android apps off the Amazon store. And has native Whatsapp, Viber support.

What I used to like about Blackberry phones where the fact that SMS and Instant messages were grouped in a "message hub" like thing. I don't know if that is still there in BBOS10 or if they've gone the shabby android/iOS route of a notification center.
>>
probably onscreen cause it makes the phone smaller while keeping a bigger screen and they can disappear when watching media or people can program their own buttons into it
>>
>>45475320
Sorry if is a stupid question - but are you saying that Blackberry can run all Android apps?
>>
Capacitive. If there's gonna be space for them you might as well.
That said, I have a Razr i with soft buttons and <5mm of space under the screen, I'm happy with that.
>>
>>45475141
Physical so you can operate to a small extent without looking at the screen.
>>
>>45475141
On Screen buttons

Why? They dont waste space on bezel for buttons, less points of failure (if the screen breaks the phone is useless regardless of buttons), and they are context sensitive.

I also can't stand how every manufacture still puts that god damn menu button on their phone instead of doing:

Back, Home, Multitasking

Whenever Google updates design (as with Lollipop) the on screen buttons icons can change, the physical buttons cannot thus you're stuck with incorrect icons.

Only a fucking retard would prefer anything other than on screen buttons. The only argument against them is that they take up screen real estate but this can be countered with PIE or other methods. Buttons can also have transparent backing so that you can still read the text behind them.
>>
>iphone
>one button that doesn't get in the way of the screen estate
>multipurpose

where did lagdroid go wrong?
>>
>>45475336
You can install .apk files. To keep things legal, BB says "You can install free android apps" But I guess any .APKs will work.
>>
>>45475401
>using a physical button and an onscreen button (back at the top left in all apps) because Apple cant make up their fucking mind.
>Home button fails and you're fucked.
Yeah okay.
>>
capacitive > onscreen >>> physical buttons >>>>>> samshit physical shitbuttons
>>
>>45475389
>. The only argument against them is that they take up screen real estate but this can be countered with PIE or other methods.
Actually make screens with 1920x1200 resolution and increase the physical height to 10-20 mm more and you're done.

>>45475401
Geeks(google) vs Artists (jobs era)

Artists know what's good functionality.

Now that Apple is a nerd company under Tim Cook, it's turning into Lagroid.

But yeah android is terrible when it comes to creativity. Material design is not even a design language, it's a gimmick. Metro Is a design language.

Onscreen buttons are shit. Which is why I brought a HTC One M7.
>>
File: didsomeonesaywide.jpg (105KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
didsomeonesaywide.jpg
105KB, 1440x810px
>>45475212
>>
Onscreen buttons and expanded desktop being a possibility.

Onscreen buttons without expanded desktop fucking sucks.

Capacitive keys are soooo 2007.
>>
I like the three buttons on my S3.
>>
>needing bottom buttons on a mobile OS
Didn't realise I was in 2007
>>
>>45475195
Jolla + TOHKBD
>>
Capacitive. Because then everything has a clear fixed place and is always available. While regular buttons often have problems.
>>
Physical buttons. They have feedback. I know when I pushed the damn thing.
>>
On screen buttons are so terrible, it's no surprise google uses them
>>
I've got experience with Nexus 4, Moto G, iPhone, and Galaxy S5, so I've used them all(fully capacitive like HTC I haven't owned, but I've used).

I think they're all "fine", though my preference is with physical(specifically the Galaxy), for a few reasons.

One, it's fucking physical. You can feel it because it's an actual button.

Two, there is no screen real estate lost. You can fix that with mods for Nexus 4 etc., but then the keyboard goes all the way to the bottom of the screen and your hand moves with it, which makes the phone harder to hold(not so much a big deal with smaller phones).

Three, added functionality like fingerprint scanning, although the Galaxy's scanner blows dicks.

I like my home button. You can turn the lights off of the capacitive buttons on the side, and the home button is so subtle, you can't really tell it's there until you need it. Like I said, it doesn't mess with the phone experience at all.
>>
>>45475420
All .apk work I used tinder for a while what is google play store oriented and snapchat and stuff like that and it all works.

Want to buy the new Passport the specs are decent compared to what you get for you money compared to iPhone.

I now have the Q10 and the physical keyboard is an absolute joy to work with.
>>
>>45475141
The HTC One X is a mix of onscreen and physical because if you're running ICS you can actually scroll sideways while only having your finger on the buttons.
So it's touch grid is still part of the screen.
They removed that feature in Jelly for some reason or it might just be my ROM. (ARHD)
>>
on screen > physical > capacitive
prove me wrong
>>
Capacitive. On-screen uses up screen space and is generally annoying to use. Physical is nice but your phone gets turned on in your pocket.
>>
File: Chobits Sumomo.gif (369KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Chobits Sumomo.gif
369KB, 500x281px
Onscreen is stupid, Why do you want to waste pixels on static images that do nothing but lower your effective display pixels when you could just have capacitive buttons outside of the screen in the bezel that's going to be there anyways.

I also used to want physical keyboards(mostly because I wanted some physical way to play games instead of onscreen buttons) but since swipe and the like I'm not too bothered about it.
I would still like some buttons and pads for games tho.
>>
On screen so they hide during games/video. maximizes content-to-phone-footprint ratio.
>>
If build quality is nice, physical > capacitive > on screen.

I like the look of the buttons on my Lumia 920, but I keep accidentally hitting the search button with the palm of my thumb. Annoys the fuck out of me. On screen buttons look kind of cheap to me.
>>
Capacitive because the phone is going to have bezels either way so I like the buttons to not take up unnecessary space
>>
Physical

On screen and capacitive never work and both lag as shit most of the time
>>
>>45475141
On Screen buttons if they actually manage to make the screen go right to the edge of the device.
Capacitive buttons otherwise.
>>
>not using optical or mic input.
plebs
>>
Capasitives on bezel. Current craze of moving buttons into screen is fucking retarded. That is the only thing Three Stars does right in its design.
>>
>>45480003
>content-to-phone-footprint ratio.
AKA bezel
>>
On-screen is the objectively superior choice. The argument that they take take screen space is completely flawed. They're context-sensitive, hide when you don't need them (video and games), hide when you don't want them (expanded desktop, PIE), give the the device 1 to 4 less points of failure, allow for much smaller bezels, and are fully customizable. Hardware and capacitive buttons go against every single one of these things.
>>
>>45480269
Input depends on the OS and performance. They would all lag like shit equally and not work at all if the device is frozen.
>>
File: htc one m8.jpg (81KB, 1280x650px) Image search: [Google]
htc one m8.jpg
81KB, 1280x650px
>>45480746
>allow for much smaller bezels
That's the problem.
Phones with On-Screen buttons don't have smaller bezels.
If there actually were phones where this is the case, On-screen buttons are clearly superior.

Picture related, absolutely disgusting shit.
You could fit two rows of physical buttons on that bezel.
>>
I liked physical most, but capacitive made it faster. I hate on screen-buttons, but It's easier for the manufacturer, I've repaired a bunch of phones and it means fewer things can go bad.
>>
>>45480796
Hardware buttons never compensate for the six shortcomings I have pointed out (unless we talk about full hardware keyboards). Not to mention the fact that what you pointed out is not a dichotomy and will soon improve.
>>
>>45475212
>Q10
there
>>
I prefer physical like were on the HTC desire, the nexus 1 basically but with an optical trackpad.

Physical buttons like on Samsung still have capacitive buttons.

I'm using an OPO now because capacitive is better than on-screen.
>>
>>45475299
>Imaging how bad the typing experience would be, The chances of it falling seem pretty high while typing
The swipe input deals with that. You're supposed to use two hands anyway.
>>
>>45475195
Go back to 2009.
>>
>>45475155
>Nokia 220
Amen.
>>45476466
kek
>>
While I don't mind having physical buttons, I've come to accept that capactive/on screen buttons are just fine too depending on the device.

I just got a BlackBerry developer device, the prototype hardware that eventually became the Z10 and I love it. BlackBerry knows their shit and provides just the right tools to get the job done, and the hardware - even in spite of being about 2 years old now (this developer device, not the actual Z10) - is great even now and runs the latest BlackBerry 10 version as well.

The volume buttons can be used to skip music tracks (since custom ROMs are pretty much impossible on these devices) and it has a third hardware button for Play/Pause which is fucking awesome. I like having controls in the remote on the headphone/earbud/IEM cord but, this is even better 'cause the phone is in my hand and my fingers are already in place to do the controls.

Extremely high DPI on this 4.2" 1280x768 display too, it's fucking awesome - now I want a damned Z10 'cause it's more powerful and has twice the RAM, etc.
>>
>>45475155
So edgy and arrogant enough you think you deserve to be tracked.
>>
I prefer capacitive on the bezels

The reason the trend has been moving the buttons to onscreen is because Google fucking said so. Its a shame, but if Google said that phones will now have attached dildos then manufacturers will oblige or else their devices wouldn't be allowed to run Android.
>>
>>45475141
I really dont give a shit.
>>
File: touchidsensor.jpg (66KB, 600x335px) Image search: [Google]
touchidsensor.jpg
66KB, 600x335px
Touch and physical at the same time for me.
>>
>>45480746
I'd like to interject, because your train of thought is completely wrong.
You see your mother is a whore so fuck you and your shit reasoning.
>>
i have the opo but use the on screen buttons, didnt like them on my htc wildfire / galaxy s1 back in the day
>>
I love my physical home button, but I see how on screen is advantageous.
>>
>>45475141
I'm an iPhone guy and prefer a physical button. It just feels better, but at the same time the home button on my 4 year old iPhone is working less and less often which leads me to think that an on-screen button makes more sense for long-term usage. The screen's touch sensor will last much long than a physical switch.
>>
>>45481865
>I'm an iPhone guy
>and I prefer a physical button.
>It just feels better
>>
>>45482073
it's just what I'm used to. I've been using an android tablet for a month now and it still feel weird that there's no physical sensation that comes with showing the home screen.

it'd probably change if I got an android phone
>>
>>45475195
if only aisha had GPS
god damnit. i used maps on older nokia dumbphones
>>
Capacitive. It doesn't break or require you to physically exert pressure to use and it also doesn't take up any screen space.

On screen is okay as well, but the screen space usage is a bit of an issue.

Physical is fucking retarded. They can break, they can get stuck, they require you to actually press them and the physical home buttons usually wake up the damn device which is fucking annoying.
>>
>>45475141
>tfw no flip phones

Those where the best.

>Physical buttons hence perfect feedback
>Minimal number of buttons with known combinations. Could type without watching (T9)
>Flip so you can put in your pocket and fear not to scratch your screen
>>
>>45482566
>Could type without watching (T9)
Maybe if you typed like a 12 year old girl.
>>
File: leave.png (198KB, 389x365px) Image search: [Google]
leave.png
198KB, 389x365px
>>45482583
>Confirmed for never having a phone with T9.
>>
>>45482631
I have, you had to go into a shitty ass submenu to get to punctuation.
>>
>>45482649
All the punctuation I needed was dot and question mark. It's called SMS for a reason.
>>
>>45475141
I prefer blackberries physical buttons because they're easier to type with and feel better than a touch screen not to mention I'm more accurate with them.

The problem is you lose too much real-estate with them so I'll put up with a shitty onscreen keyboard for the ability to use the entire device as a screen.
>>
>>45475195
>is small

Weeaboo neet asain small handed cunt, just buy a note 4
>>
>>45482673
You could use phones to do other things such as email even back then.
T9 was shit then and it's even more shit now. If you're adept with a phone you can easily type using something like swype without looking at the keyboard.
>>
>>45482792
>You could use phones to do other things such as email even back then.
Yes, but never had one because exorbitant network rates back then.

>T9 was shit then and it's even more shit now.
You just suck at using T9, then. Nokia T9 was the best.

>If you're adept with a phone you can easily type using something like swype without looking at the keyboard.
Never seen anyone type with a single hand on any smartphone. You know, like with phone that fits your hand and properly reads each key you press; and where you can tell where each key is because physical feedback.
>>
>>45482862
>You just suck at using T9, then. Nokia T9 was the best.
It's not that I suck, it's that T9 sucks.

>Never seen anyone type with a single hand on any smartphone.
Swype is pretty much gesture based typing. You don't need to look at your keyboard once you have your muscle memory down.

>You know, like with phone that fits your hand and properly reads each key you press; and where you can tell where each key is because physical feedback.
Thumb keyboards don't have that. It's not like a normal keyboard where each finger is only pressing maybe 3 or 4 keys ever, or like your T9 keyboard where you find the center and work from there. Gesture based typing is the best thing to happen to mobile device input.
>>
>>45482930
Look, if you don't like T9, that's fine.
>>
>>45482862
>Never seen anyone type with a single hand on any smartphone.
I do, lel
My normie sister does
That guy does

Swype and Swiftkey have a small learning curve, but once you get used to it, you'll type faster with a single thumb than you ever would with two fingers on a mobile keyboard.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.