[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Current best ultrabook that isn't shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2

I have $1200 and I need a ultrabook for school that isn't going to fall apart in 6 months like my last HP piece of shit. Something with a good trackpad, good keyboard and not plastic.

Last year everyone was jerking off to the 2013 Macbook Air. has it been dethroned or should I just get the 13 inch 2014?

I have a gaming desktop, so I won't be gaming on it, but I want something that will be fast for small things like Firefox and LibreOffice, so I'd prefer an SSD over a HDD.
>>
>>45465961
Thinkpad
>>
>>45465961
Buy a Chromebook Pixel that's a real edgy machine. All Mac-fags will be extremely jealous.
>>
>>45465972
I'll be using it for school, so I don't want something that's 20kg and 4 inches thick.
>>
shameless bump #2
>>
fucvking bump
>>
Yes, just get it. It's worth it, I have one myself.

Although the screen is pretty shitty, the rest is pretty good.
>>
>>45466007
Look at the X series. They aren't that big, and they have a great battery life. You could save a ton, by buying used, and with the money you saved you could get more RAM and a SSD
>>
>ultrabook
>fast
>durable
>good keyboard/trackpad

Pick only two.
>>
>>45466273
Macbook Air
>reasonably fast
>durable
>best trackpad
It lacks the good keyboard, but it's far from the worst.
>>
>>45466285
>MBA
>reasonably fast
You cannot be serious.
>>
>>45465961
SP3
>>
>>45466297
What, do you want to play AC: Unity and Far Cry on it?
I've never thought "I wish this thing was faster" while using my MBA. It launches programs instantaneously and it doesn't lag while scrolling, which is all I really want from a laptop.
>>
>>45466364
Then your standards aren't worth much, it's practically a expensive facebook machine for you.
>>
>>45466007
Get a thinkpad carbon
>>
>>45466230
Fuck current think pads, they're horrible pieces of shit that fall apart in a year. If you really want a thinkpad, try to source a pre-lenovo model with at least a C2D and 4GB of RAM.

I'd suggest the MBA too, mine works fantastically and has held up better than my T420.
>>
>>45466372
I implied that I want to know what you'd use a lightweight laptop for. Just making that clear.

>it's a facebook machine
Well, gee, no shit. What's your point?
>>
>>45466410
If the only thing you do on it is browse, get a fucking tablet.
>>
Zenbook nigga.
>>
>>45466421
>get a fucking tablet
But that's not comfy for taking notes in class, which I think is what OP wants.
>>
>>45466444
Pen & Paper master race.
>>
>>45466453
I don't agree.
>>
>>45466297
My 4GB MBA can do anything a shitty Winshit Ultrabook with 8GB can.
>>
>>45465961
>ultrabook
>isn't shit
>>
>>45466462
What's wrong with pen and paper?
>>
>>45466453
Ok gramps
>>
>>45466465
It says a lot about you when you compare memory sizes as actual worthwhile performance metrics.
>>
>>45466477
He's probably a libartsfag and doesn't have to write formulae or draw diagrams.
>>
>>45466477
Being able to look up shit quickly would be reason enough for me.
But other than that, I type much quicker than I write, I've got it backed up, so I won't lose my notes, I can quickly look up notes by searching them, I won't have to deal with several books, it's easier to edit afterwards and I can use pictures.

>>45466513
>formulae
LaTeX, though, admittedly, that is, indeed, done easier on paper.

>diagrams
That's the only place where I'd REALLY say it beats a computer.
>>
>>45466513
>implying you can write a legible wave function quickly and easily with a fucking tablet

Fuck off, pen and paper is all I use when taking notes in my chemistry classes.
>>
>>45466372

it's cheaper than most other comparable ultrabooks, actually.

i only bought a thinkpad X1 carbon because it was on sale for 40% off, otherwise it would have cost twice as much as a MBA for just slightly better specs.
>>
>>45466547
The screen and carbon fiber body is the reason for the cost of the X1, oh and the absurdly small weight.
>>
>>45466545
>Implying I can't with *TeX

enjoy your paper, scrub.
>>
Actual quad core ULV CPUs when?
Fuck this dual core garbage.
>>
>>45466540
So take notes on pen and paper, after class transfer them to digital formats. It forces you to review the as well as gives all the benefits of typed up notes.
>>
>>45466007
X240 if you don't mind of the degrade in quality compare to old thinkpads. Or get x1 carbon
>>
Anything but a Thinkpad. I'm seriously starting to think that people will fall for the Thinkpad trolls. Worst le epic meme /g/ started.

Just buy the Macbook Pro retina
>>
>>45466590
Good luck typing out a hydrogen orbital wave function in latex faster than writing with pencil and paper.
>>
>>45466624
Fuck off Apple shill.
>>
>>45466606
Sounds bothersome, when I can just use my computer.
Either way, the discussion went from whether a Macbook Air is a piece of shit or not to pen and paper vs computers. We don't even know what OP is doing.
>>
>>45466664
OP is a faggot and this place isn't "do my research for me /g/!"
>>
>>45466664
It's only the best study method ever.
>>
>>45466545
Misquote? I'm defending pen & paper, anon.

Although using a tablet and I mean a real x86 convertible one with a good Wacom digitizer (no ARM toys) might be viable, but I've never had the chance of trying one, and they can be very expensive. The idea of being able to have all your diagrams, illustrations, formulas, and of course typed text all at once and fully editable on a portable PC with no compromise is very attractive.
>>
>>45465961
Chromebook C720

or that new Toshibe one, but I don't know how to remove write protect from that one nor know if it is even possible.
>>
>>45466606
OP here;
I can type around 110 WPM. Pen and paper would be terribly slow for taking notes in history and political science.

not everyone on 4chan is in engineering.
>>
>>45466624
Every time I'm at my university and I see a person using a chinkpad I cringe cause they look so fucking autistic.
>>
>>45466737
When you take notes are you typing out full sentences from the professors mouth or just taking down the key points and a page number?
>>
>>45466787
I saw a qt with a Chickpad once. It was an Edge series, though.
>>
>>45465961
Macbook Pro or HP XPS 15.

I would go with the XPS and install a linux distro because of the amazing screen and all-around better specs, plus user repairability.

Don't get the MBA, the keyboard is too shallow to do any typing on and you look like a hipster
>>
XPS 14/15
They're practically the same machine, one's just smaller, so you know.
>>
>>45466706
Misquote. The tactile feedback of pencil and paper is best for note taking.
>>
>>45466800
Somewhere in between, Paraphrasing in shorter, more concise sentences which will still be readable without context.
Every time I use pen and paper I end up missing half of what the prof is saying or making jot notes which will be illegible in 3 months because my writing is sloppy.
>>
>not recordig what your prof says
>>
Any 17" 1080p screen with no optical drive would do OP
>>
>all these autismos recommending anythig but a Macbook

Kill yourself, you might be fine with everyone in school laughing at you, but OP sure as hell doesn't need to
>>
>>45466787
Well it's hard to tell at my university because the loan laptops they give out to students are thinkpads.
>>
>>45465961
MacBook Air.
>>
>>45465961
>Something with a good keyboard

Well, not the MBA then
>>
File: Capture.png (87KB, 1299x993px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
87KB, 1299x993px
>>45466540
>>45466545
>>45466590
>>45466706
>>45466858
>all these fags defending pen and paper
lel out loud

>>45466737
>political science
Enjoy your useless degree
>>
there really aren't any good laptops
they're all shit in one way or another, especially if your budget is $900 or less. if you've got the money, get a macbook. there really isn't any good laptop manufacturer
>>
>>45468462
>not even cursive
Kill yourself.
>>
>>45465961

Thinkpad x220, buy it and thank me later.
>>
>not 1366x768
>not shit specs
>nice screen/keyboard/trackpad
>under $900
can it be done?
>>
>>45468543
>writing illegibly
>to gloat about his epeen
Ok kid
>>
>>45468543

Sacrifice speed and what little legibility I have for literally no gain? That would make sense.
>>
>>45468462
Pen and paper doesn't need to charge every night, pen and paper has no glare, pen and paper runs way over 60fps, pen and paper has best font rendering and scaling, pen and paper fits in your pocket.
>>
>>45468778
>>45468821
>can't write legibly in cursive
My laughter contains no bounds.
>>
>>45468462
>intro physics
>a good example of what formulae you will need to write
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.