[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why aren't you using golang? What's your excuse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: golang-gopher-figurine.jpg (22KB, 280x348px) Image search: [Google]
golang-gopher-figurine.jpg
22KB, 280x348px
So why aren't you using golang? What's your excuse?

Let's get some shit out the way first

> muh generics
you don't need them

> muh unused variables
its bloat

> muh memory safety
dont share memory. copy memory. go has GC

>google botnet
no its not

So whats your excuse now
>>
>>45418702

>>45399255
>>
Because go was created to simplify stupidly simple middleware, mostly shut involving multiple data streams

I don't do that crap
>>
Don't, OP. Don't. Go is too precious to let /g/ have its way with it.

>>45446606
>Because go was created to simplify stupidly simple middleware
Where the fuck did you hear that?
>>
>>45446597
not OP but thanks for this anon.
>>
>>45446622
Rob Pike, rather than the CS jerkoff that writes IRC clients and fizzbuzzes as a "hobby".
>>
It's slower than C++. If I'm writing code where I don't care about performance, I use a better language. If I do, I use C++, possibly with large swaths of inline assembly (depending on the project, of course).

Go doesn't fill a niche I need.
>>
>>45446622
/g/ doesn't understand KISS or UNIX
>>
>>45446538
Talking about bloat:
>muh 2mb hello world binaries

Also writing libraries in Go is no fun, because you can only use them with Go, which is stupid, especially with Go beeing developed by fucking Unix people.

Also the type system is a bit dated, but thats fine considering their goals.

Otherwise Go is fine, I like its concurrency and straightforward idioms.
>>
>>45446746
/g/ understands that they're both terrible and quickly die for very good reasons

MIT > new jersey
emacs > vim
lisp machines > plan 9
>>
>>45446768
>quickly die
everything on the right side is more popular and alive than the left side

really nigger youre using lisp machines as a example of a technology that didnt die
>>
>>45446538
>golang
swift is better than golang. Swift has better OO support than Go.
>>
>>45446783
Lisp machines were compared with something that never even got off the ground

And no, UNIX is not KISS. It was, but isn't.

>emacs is dead, vim is alive
Vim is widely considered the github hipster editor for people that like wasting time with nebulous collections of unsupported plugins. Emacs is still the go-to professional editor for people who don't want to use sublime text or an IDE. That is to say, vim is already dead. Emacs even emulates its awful keybindings for the baby ducks.
>new jersey is alive and well
Only within shitty circlejerks. The vast majority of popular and useful software today is more MIT style than anything.
>>
>>45446806
lisp machines are dead hipster shit. youre a dumbass nigger
>>
>>45446810
So is plan 9. The difference being that lisp machines were actually useful.

It was a fair comparison.
>>
>>45446538
Go is dead outside of google

C++ and python reign as the kings of general purpose programming
>>
Because I don't have any use for it. I've got a different language for different purposes and there's no place I could make use of Go.
>>
Go is a nice language but I like it a bit more low level.
>>
>>45446538
>> Muh generics
> you don't need them
This is part of why I don't use Go. Genetics make it a lot easier to write nice abstractions, and having a community of Java-thinking retards holding back software engineering makes me want to puke.

Error handling in Go is horrible. I'd build some nice abstractions to help handle that but I'd have to forgo type safety using "interface{}".

It's a boring language with a literally retarded community. Why the fuck WOULD I use this piece of shit language?
>>
>>45447183
Generics*
Owned by autocorrect.
>>
>>45446538
>Not sure if troll post
>>
>>45447183
this * 1000
>>
>>45447183
java thinking retards (you) are the ones who want generics
>>
>>45446795
OO (traditional) is deprecated
>>
>>45447300
Keep telling yourself that while you write shit code no one is ever going to run.
>>
>>45447300
>Java
>generics
Pick one
>>
>>45447297
Actually, error handling in Go is nice and straightforward.

It's a shame that very few programmers can think in terms other than templates and inheritance nowadays.
>>
>>45447359
Actually, most programmers today try hard to stay away from massive abstractions and inheritance chains. Most languages and frameworks try to emulate functional composition to a degree. Even Java got fucking lambdas!
As for the error handling it's goddamn C. If I want to write in C I will write in it. 21st century not having exceptions is a fucking "WAT"
>>
>>45447393
>most programmers today try hard to stay away from massive abstractions and inheritance chains. Most languages and frameworks try to emulate functional composition to a degree. Even Java got fucking lambdas!
This

>As for the error handling it's goddamn C. If I want to write in C I will write in it. 21st century not having exceptions is a fucking "WAT"
This
>>
>>45447428
Brilliant contribution there, bud.
>>
Between school and work I do not have time to learn a new language :-(
>>
>>45446806
Where are the people who use Emacs? I've gone and interviewed at several places and they all use IDEs, Sublime, or Vim. The only Emacs user I know is my old Jewish professor.
>>
> muh generics
That's actually one of the big ones.

Also
> muh framework
Yeah, I'm a .net guy.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 300x316px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 300x316px
If/when Go does get generics then all the GIDF will do an instant 180 and consider them a great feature.
>>
Doesn't have the power and expressiveness of LISP or the performance and speed of assembly/C, so fuck it.
>>
>>45449065
>implying you do anything but write fizzbuzz over and over
>>
Rob Pike is senile
>>
File: 1417110399911.jpg (39KB, 500x543px) Image search: [Google]
1417110399911.jpg
39KB, 500x543px
>>45449591
u wot
>>
>>45449251
>implying you do anything in life but shitpost over and over
>>
>>45446538
> 2014
> garbage collection
ishygddt
>>
>>45446538
Its type system is shit and its concurrency model is a desperate attempt to keep a brain-dead paradigm alive.
>>
>Green threads
Because fuck why wouldn't you want to spin up a few thousand threads and pass messages around and have everything still be elegant and easy to grasp.

>MFW running Go code on a 32core processor
>Dat 3200% CPU utilization
>>
>>45450195
Protip: You don't need Green threads.
>>
>you are now aware that no one can ask a question anymore without prefixing it "So"
>>
>>45448184
I doubt generics will ever be added to Go. They slow down compilation something fierce, because they make type checking, code generation, and linking take up way more time (and space).
>>
>>45450986
you speculate something fierce. whether it would cause a noticeable slowdown would depend completely on the extent of the feature and its implementation.
>>
>>45448184
That describes every programming community except for C++ and Haskell, maybe .net, PHP, JavaScript, and Java too.
These people always look forward to getting new features in the language.
>>
>>45451481
It's a major source of slowness in Rust's compilation, even moreso in Haskell's.
>>
>>45451481
That depends on whether they do Worse is Better™ fully parametric generics or if they do The Right Thing™ and include interfaces.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.