[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone here help an ignorant man purchase a water filter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: brita.jpg (19KB, 279x300px) Image search: [Google]
brita.jpg
19KB, 279x300px
Can anyone here help an ignorant man purchase a water filter?
>>
Are you worried about your vital essence or something?
>>
>>45425132
Why do you need a water filter?

What exactly is wrong with your water?
>>
>>45425132

just buy a brita....
>>
>>45425202
PUR masterrace
>>
File: 1413411931127.png (433KB, 560x3568px) Image search: [Google]
1413411931127.png
433KB, 560x3568px
>>45425172
he probably lives in america
>>
>>45425172
I live in florida, which has absolutely the worst drinking water out of all the states. Our water is on par with something like Panama and I'm tired of buying filtered water.
>>
>>45425172
Not OP, but a lot of water utility companies use chlorine because it kills stuff in the water and it's safe to drink in the concentrations they use.

I use a pitcher because I like my water colder than the faucet can get it. It happened to come with a filter, which removes the chlorine and stuff. It's 90% "having a big pitcher in the fridge" though.
>>
>>45425284
This guy gets it
>>
Tap water in NYC is as almost as good as it gets.
Upstate NY the tap water looks clean, but tastes like shit. I need a filter so bad.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-FM-15RA-Advanced-Faucet-Filter/dp/B00006WNMI/ref=lp_13397631_1_3?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1417486433&sr=1-3

This.
Cheap. Works well. Refills are cheap.

The auto-shutoff (where it will switch back to faucet automatically when you shut the water off) will probably stop working after a month, but having to push the button back in is nothing.
>>
>>45425246
I've been in the USA (California) for a year. most places were not as good in terms of tap water as Switzerland is in most places, but I didn't really feel a need to restore it to perfect taste.

>>45425266
Uh. I guess that sounds bad.

Can you afford a reverse osmosis filtration system? They tend to be a few thousand USD, but cartridges -if used all the time- or bottled water tend to cost more over a bunch of years...

>>45425284
I don't think the little bit of chlorine most water has is typically worth filtering...
>>
>>45425381
Ideally I'd like to get one at some point but my money's tied into other stuff right now. I'm looking for a more temporary solution.
>>
>be me
>live in Ireland
>Ireland puts loads of fluoride in water
>move to Cloughjordan
>apparently this is the one place where there's no fluoride
>no need for filter or anything
>>
>>45425132
First OP request a water quality report at your local utility office (they are required by law to provide you with one) to see which contaminates are most abundant in your supply.

Then go look through these sources especially the first one:
http://www.ewg.org/report/ewgs-water-filter-buying-guide
http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/drinking-water-filters-reviews/
>>
>>45425451
Well, maybe you should experiment with a bunch of disposable filters first.

A few stages of large + small particle filter substrate + activated carbon might be a way to start.

It's also what most catridge filters have inside.

Maybe add an UV light and tank if that doesn't help already.
>>
>>45425132

If you live in a first world country, the water is fine to drink.

Tap water has good minerals and fluoride, which will save your teeth.
>>
>>45425381
>I've been in the USA (California)
well theres your problem
>>
>>45425582
Wait, are you telling me to design my own filter? I'm not quite following
>>
OP, do NOT buy one of those typical plastic ones. For one, they barely work (some even make the water worse), and two, the plastic is almost always toxic.

The only good water filter I can recommend is a Big Berkey with the fluoride attachment as well (helps filter even more bad stuff than just fluoride).

If you absolutely have to buy a plastic common one, get the Zero Water one, or Zero One - whatever the fuck it's called, I forgot. It's made of plastic but it works fairly okay.
>>
>>45425284
I prefer countertop because it's cheaper than pitcher, you can fill a pot of coffee, and you can fill a real 2 quart pitcher for kool-aid or iced tea.
>>
>>45425685
Well, the water here at home is very nice anyways, so most places I've been to have had worse water.

The parts of Cali I've been to mostly weren't that bad in comparison, I personally perceived the water in Singapore and Adelaide and many other places to taste worse...

>>45425752
You could, but you could also just use a filtration system (even cartridges) that has these basic components.

I'm just making a guess that activated carbon filters might help the quality of your water.

Adding 2+ layers of mechanical filters on top is dirt cheap and in many cases also somewhat necessary anyways, so that should almost always go along with it.
>>
>>45425266
Do you live in a shithole like Clermont? The water in Lakeland is is fine.
>>
has anyone tried ZeroWater? Is it better than Britta?
>>
>>45425246
ya fluorides a problem here. good thing i'm on long island master race where we don't ever fluoridate our water :)
>>
>>45425904
> some even make the water worse
Maybe if you manage to mass-breed bacteria in them. Might want to be careful to keep the mechanical filters in front of whatever removes chlorine and not let it get too dirty.

Otherwise, I don't see how this could easily happen... unless they leak filter substrate or something?

> the plastic is almost always toxic
I very severely doubt that.
>>
>>45425904
Brita jugs have always been BPA free.

I don't know what other junk you sell in the USA so can't comment on it - but Brita jugs are fine.
>Other than the obscene cost of filter cartridges.

OP: if you just want a small amount of filtered water (ie, a jug amount) just make a diy sand filter.

It'll cost like $20 the first go and then a bucket of sand every 6 or so months...
>>
>>45426007
>he isn't at all worried about BPS
>>
>>45426048
BPS only affects estrogen producers.

I don't make estrogen.
>>
>>45425202
>actually using freedom denying water filters
Disgusting
>>
Why not just boil it
>>
File: Untitled.png (131KB, 518x554px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
131KB, 518x554px
I have this one myself. Tap water tastes great
>>
>>45426947
I love penguins. You have me sold on this
>>
>>45426997
>pitcher
>>
>>45426947
i have a normal pitcher, but this is awesome.
>>
>>45425266
I lived in FL for long time and did okay with just a basic Brita reverse osmosis pitcher/filter thing. You just have to remember to change the filter every 2 months. Actually you'll be able to tell by taste also. Towards the end of that period, the water will start to taste bad.

This is also a pretty cheap system, because you can buy 3-pack of replacement filters at Walmart for like $15-20. The initial cost of the pitcher + 1 filter is like $20.

I'm living overseas now, and tap water actually tastes okay.
>>
>>45427080
Yeah, should I get this instead?

http://www.ecobud.com.au/Our-Products/Little-Penguin-Blue.aspx
>>
>>45427144
I'll probably end up doing this. Thanks for the advice
>>
>>45427144
>pitcher
>>
>>45425266
dont insult panamas drinking water by comparing it to the oil slick of piss that is florida water

lived there from 2000 to 2013
>>
>>45425953
Not him, but I lived in Tampa, and parts of Pinellas and Pasco. All had bad-tasting tap water...
>>
>>45427231
Municipal water is shit here too.
I buy jugs of distilled water.
>>
>>45426947
fuck I almost spit out my drink into my open pc case
>>
>>45426445
Boiling kills bacteria but it also concentrates sodium flouride
>>
File: Brawndo.jpg (54KB, 800x381px) Image search: [Google]
Brawndo.jpg
54KB, 800x381px
>>45427321
Distilled water is missing some essential minerals. Did you mean purified water?
>>
I mix a tiny bit of soda/mineral water into the tap water if it tastes bad, but its a good idea to filter the shit from the water pipes with a pitcher or something

>>45425284
Chlorine evaporates within 2-3 hours once exposed to air but it's also fat soluble, so you can remove all that like using a filter but your body will absorb just as much when you take a bath or shower.
>>
>>45426947
i wish they sold this on amazon. i'd buy it.
>>
>not using a berkley or zerowater
stay pleb
>>
>mfw I'm Dutch and the water is excellent
>>
>>45427512
>>45425381
You can taste the chlorine (or something), and if you don't like it then whether it's worth filtering is purely a matter of taste/personal preference.

>>45427512
I wasn't clear enough, sorry; I don't like the chlorinated water taste. I'm not worried about the shower and stuff.
>>
>Not using a stainless steel countertop distiller.
>Not buying bottled distilled water by the gallon for under $1.
>>
>>45428343
>not structurizing distilled water
>not giving a shit about plastic offgassing and leeching
*tips tin fedora*
>>
>>45425132
>water filter
These are inferior to just going to the local place that sells water, bringing your 10 gallon water container to them, filling it up, giving them like, a dollar or something, and going home.
The water is as pure as it is from a filter and it tastes better too.
Filters are shit because you have to replace them every once in a while, and if you don't the water tastes terrible.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.