[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Women Devs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

File: dev.jpg (452KB, 658x758px) Image search: [Google]
dev.jpg
452KB, 658x758px
How do we get more girls into programming?

I think they get discouraged in chauvanistic societies like US/South America and encouraged in others like Finland/Sweden.
>>
0/10
>>
we hit them
>>
Let them do it if they want to.

And when in fact not many of them want to, don't claim it's oppression.
>>
>>45424880
Hmm you could ask them. You could tell girls at young ages they can do tech and that its not just for nerds.
Nah, let's give them jobs based on their Boobs like the feminazis want.
>>
I think most women just don't give a flying fuck. The ones that do try end up giving up because it's easier to be half naked and get free money on twitch.tv
>>
>>45424880
>How do we get more girls into programming?
Put like buttons on developer sites and give them the option to bundle their software with bikini photos from their last holiday.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but women generally don't do work without the option of getting credit and applause from lots of people.
Coding is not social enough for women to make it interesting to them.
>>
Why are you saying what they -should- do? Stop oppressing them, hypocrite.
>>
What about male nurses huh
>>
>>45424880
>Finland/Sweden

Yes, because the men are less masculine than the women, they need to.
>>
>>45424880
At my job there's at least 1 woman for each 2 men. Some of them are hot tattooed red heads.

Now thinking of it, there's a thing like "to be a dev girl I have to dye my hair"
>>
>>45425393

This meme died long ago.
>>
>>45424880

In all fairness she is ridiculously hot, looks almost like a stock photo of a model. I'd be suspicious too. The same thing would probably happen if a ridiculously super good looking guy with professional looking photos did the same.
>>
>>45424880

it's got man-jaws

into trash it goes
>>
Is it true? Do we have more female programmers in Finland than elsewhere?
>>
>>45424880
>dailyfail

Saged and hidden.
>>
File: computers.jpg (73KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
computers.jpg
73KB, 600x450px
>>45424880

hire them as computers instead
>>
>>45425633

Yes. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lindaliukas/hello-ruby
>>
I wonder if anybody has done a survey around campuses asking woman "are you in engineering or computer science? If no why not?"
>>
It's going to take a couple generations. There are still tons of parents who don't let their daughters to "boy stuff." Being turned off of technology in the formative years basically prevents an interest in computers in the future.
>>
I've had this idea for a while..
thinking about kickstarting it.

We make a website that lets women make their own bracelets. We'll call it "Coding" and that should make them want to be a developer.
>>
File: blue music sheet background.jpg (614KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
blue music sheet background.jpg
614KB, 1600x1600px
Anyone who's proficient in any code such as the musical code (pic) - and that proficiency is not exclusive by gender and race or anything - can as well enter the fields with programming code, or any other code, and it's a better success if the new field appeals equally to or better than the other code field.

However by all means, I oppose campaigns for bullshit like picking and placing some tomato slices, cheese, lettuce, and ham in a sandwich but somehow labeling that sandwich "Made With Code" - which only enrage the war of *real* coders against women (further stereotyped as idiots now) and improve absolutely nothing.
>>
>>45425794
source: anons ass
>>
what kind of computer she developed?
>>
same way other people got into programming. if they want to get into it, they'll do it themselves.

you cant force people to like things.
>>
post link
>>
The ones who have an interest in programming will program. The ones who don't will not.

Feminists will keep making excuses because on one hand they want a piece of the IT pie but on the other hand they have no interest in doing anything with computers.
>>
>>45424880
>I think they get discouraged in chauvanistic societies like US/South America and encouraged in others like Finland/Sweden.
translation:
>Im a single mother who has learned from Oprah Winfrey how to use my pussy to control men and get paid for having babies. How can I blame men for this life I chose of being a human sponge and claim it is there fault so that they will make reparations by placing me into tech positions for which I have no qualifications?
>>
>find article
>Florencia Antara
>google
>https://www.linkedin.com/in/florenciaantara
>fa-design.com.ar
>server not found
Seems fishy.
>>
>>45424955
This.

To assume there's going to be an even 50/50 split between men and women in every discipline is fucking retarded. Yet liberals and feminists don't realize how stupid this assumption is.
>>
>worked with a few female programmers
>2 were SQL asian MILFs, broken Engrish
>1 was batshit crazy wiccian trailer trash
>1 was apps dev hot young blonde, but sperg-ish.
>>
File: 1360819537340.gif (2MB, 187x155px) Image search: [Google]
1360819537340.gif
2MB, 187x155px
>>45426241
>>
I would be suspicious of that profile too. The photos are staged like she's looking for a modeling gig.
>>
Was Linkedin wrong?
>>
>>29807731
would marry
>>
>>45426272
www.si-studio.com.ar
dumb ass
>>
>However, the issue became complicated when it was pointed out that Toptal did not use actual images of every engineer they were advertising.

>They used a mixture of stock photography and the real pictures of software engineers with portfolios on their website - including a picture of actress Amanda Schull, who appears in the USA Network television drama series 'Suits'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2384686/LinkedIn-faces-accusations-sexism-profile-Florencia-Antara.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/linkedin-accused-of-sexism-for-banning-an-ad-2013-8

>>45426345
Still looks fishy.
>>
>>45424880
>discouraged
That's your problem.
You think hardeep from India came this far just so he can be told to fuck off or any other of the vast amounts of male immigrants that work in tech fields get discouraged when they aren't offered a job?
As much as people would like to think that males and females are equal it simply isn't true. Males are naturally aggressive, we go out there and takes what's ours by earning it or by force. We don't take no for an answer. Out of all the jobs that I have ever applied and gotten an interview only 1 didn't offer me a job and that was because I was too young. If females want to be apart of the working force they are going to need to adapt to our competive/aggressive ways.
>>
>>45426309
Lots of hoes do both these days. When I was in high school so many girls did "modeling" it was rediculous. Only one that I know of actually made something out of it. She was a fine Mexican, now she works at one of the Spanish Channels.
>>
I think you could do a big obnoxious campaign trying to recruit women to be programmers, but at the end of the day, the numbers will remain unaffected. Simply because a programming job just isn't as attractive of an occupation for women.

Same reason you probably don't see women stumbling over themselves to go work on oil rigs. Not because its a "man's job", but because there are just a lot more occupations they consider before.

Seeing a stark difference in the gender makeup of an occupation and calling foul is just ridiculous. If women want to be programmers, they will be, no need to force them.
>>
Women are too moody and don't really like to stay the whole day looking at screen without babling to another person. I work in a team with 6 women and 2 men besides myself and it is amazing how they can talk about the most inane and repetitive shit all day every day.

This and as another anon said, they like to be the center of attention. A conflicting characteristic with software development where you are remembered only when shit breaks.
>>
>>45425033
I'm not exactly disagreeing with your post, because I think by using the word "feminazi" you make it implicit that you understand that the position you disparage is radical.

I hope that as many people as possible understand, however, that the strategy you described is exactly what "feminist" and "progressive" people with real power in the real world actually support.
Of course, sometimes there are still disagreements about what exactly that means. In my high school, a computer science teacher was given permission to teach a girls-only programming class as part of an experiment relating to her doctoral thesis on educating women in technology. This was supported by the school as an appropriate way of making young women feel more inclined to learn STEM and realize that it's "not just for nerds," but some people disagreed with it constitutes a form of "special treatment" in a public school.

I don't really know how I feel about it. I think it's a good idea to try to understand why women are underrepresented in technology fields, but I also think it is suspect to conduct what they admitted was an "experiment" on public school students. Of course, other "experimental" classes probably existed, especially under the guise of "advanced" classes, but the gender-requirement nature makes it even more difficult to grok.
>>
>>45426437
If CS degrees are any indication of anything, the presence of women has been in decline since the 1980s. This is in contrast to all other fields, even engineering.
>>
>>45425073
>Sorry for being sarcastic, but women generally don't do work without the option of getting credit and applause from lots of people.
>Coding is not social enough for women to make it interesting to them.
I can see why that might be the case. The "programmer" lifestyle is a very established stereotype that I think a lot of women would not identify themselves with or aspire to.

But why is that different today than it was 50 or 60 years ago? Why were women willing to work as programmers and human calculators (jobs that were still not "social" or recognition-driven back then) in the early days, but not interested anymore?
>>
>>45425441
>there's a thing like "to be a dev girl I have to dye my hair"
I have observed this myself. I have no idea what it means in a sociological sense, but maybe it's a sign that female programmers do have at least some aspects of a "culture," which is probably a good thing.
>>
>>45424880
She can "suck" on my "cock" any day she wants to, if you catch my meaning.
>>
>>45426081
Well, how did you get into technology? I bet you had access to computers or video games or something as a child.

It's definitely true that a lot of parents/relatives/whatever wouldn't've thought to give computer hardware or video games to a little girl around the time when we were growing up, when our parents etc. presumably did do that for us.
Now, things may be changing due to the prevalence of computers, but it's still not clear to me what kind of relationship kids raised on ipads will have with technology when they grow up.
>>
>>45426080

>The musical code

Music sheets are, at best, markup language. You can't compare that with programming.
>>
>>45426607

By "suck" you mean apply and by "cock" you mean well-paying executive position, right?
>>
>>45426225
I think the concern is that some young girls who have the "potential" to be interested in programming won't be exposed to it or will be discouraged from it because of the fact that it seems to be a male dominated field. I think the hope is that by making a visible effort to speak out about this, young girls will feel encouraged and believe that they will "fit in" when they join the workforce in the future.

Is there anything wrong with that? I think it would be bad if it were driven purely by greed etc. as you suggested, but what I described above seems like a good course of action to me. I don't think it will discourage boys from pursuing an interest in technology, and it makes me happy to think that more girls will be able to discover their passion as well.
>>
My step cousin was contemplating taking AP CS as a senior next year. Mostly because some of her friends were going to take it. I don't know if I should encourage her or just leave her on her own to decide. She said she wants to major in bio or chem so I dunno.
>>
>>45426394
>Males are naturally aggressive
I do not agree with that statement. Douchebags are naturally aggressive. More people, including men, are passive or passive-aggressive and often do not make good decisions in aggravated confrontations.

I think aggressive people should be slowed down or punished when their selfish actions harm others.
>>
>>45426718
The problem isn't that they see tech and engineering as male dominated, it's that everyone tells them they're supposed to be pretty and not take any responsibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3cyRRAfX0
>>
>>45426650
The actual composition of music might have some similarities to programming, though. In the sense that you have to think about structure and parallelism and patterns and that sort of thing, at least.
>>
>>45424880
Well, when I did my Java and Python subjects almost all the women hated how it worked or just didn't like how it worked.
>>
>>45426742
Why would she bother majoring in biology or chemistry when a well paid career in computer science is just around the coroner?
>>
>>45426765
>I think aggressive people should be slowed down or punished when their selfish actions harm others.
Beta detected.
>>
>>45426790
>everyone tells them they're supposed to be pretty and not take any responsibility.
I hear this a lot, but I'm not sure I really agree that this is much of a problem anymore. All of the things that the parents say to the girl in this video are believable, sure, but they're also things my parents said to me as a boy growing up. I think "hidden" signaling is definitely a big part of how most people come to develop coherent gender identities that fit in with everyone else, but I think conscious thinking is preventing just as many women from pursuing CS as this kind of "mind control" is.

Like, do the people who are focusing on that stuff really think women aren't smart enough to have the thought, "gee, who wants to sit in front of a screen all day, get yelled at by Lumbergh, and then hang out with Sheldon?"
Our popular image of what STEM is like isn't very desirable to anyone but "misfits."
>>
>>45426844
Because she doesn't actually fucking know what she wants. I asked her why and she said because her chem and bio teacher were cool.
>>
>>45426845
That's what I literally just said. What are you gonna do, fight me? You'll still be wrong after you beat me up.
>>
>>45426889
>coroner
>he missed the joke
>>
>>45426901
I'm going to do more than beat you up, sweetie. ;)
>>
>>45426925
O-Oh. I'm getting excited, sir.
>>
>>45426901
*aggressively picks you up and puts you next to self* hi. don't punish me for trying to be your homie,
>>
I was a part of a group on my campus called "women in computer science" and they made some interesting points about how the application of the material seems to exclude the kind of thinking that happens primarily in women. As well as my own personal experience of being a girl in computer science classes and never being acknowledged by the guys in my course nor had any ease with joining the study groups that cropped up.
>>
>>45426790
Cut my dick off after seeing that video
>>
>Women
>doing work

Not that I'm any better. I flunked out, I just did Comp Sci because I didn't want to be around the hyper-social Business kids.
>>
>>45427024
Can't blame them for avoiding dropping their spaghetti in front of you
>>
>>45427024
could you elaborate on the women specific thinking part please.
>>
>>45427024
i know the feeling. once i was walking with the president of our honors cs group into a very crowded hallway and literally 90% of them stopped at gawked at me. seriously just wanted to shout fuck off.

>tfw i went to one of the top unis of the nation
>>
>>45427188
What do you expect, you're like the one black kid in a private school
>>
>>45427088
I'm not 100% on whether I agree with it, or whether it's female-centric, but there were points about how female students often seek the "why do we apply this argument here" or "what exactly does this particular function do and why use this instead of a different one", ie requiring a more thorough explanation than just accepting that some things require certain functions and just accepting that and using it.

I honestly stopped attending meetings after a while, because I got caught up in my job and classes, so it's been a while since I heard any of these "theories."
>>
>>45426790
>The problem isn't that they see tech and engineering as male dominated, it's that everyone tells them they're supposed to be pretty and not take any responsibility.

>women on 4chan constantly rate men as alpha/beta/zeta
>they play the victim for society valuing them for their attractiveness
why do I not feel sorry for you?
>
>>
>>45427024
Personally (as another woman in compsci), I don't find most of the "women in technology" events, schemes and groups that are always being run encouraging.

Not all - some are organized by genuinely competent female engineers and are amazing. But the majority are organized by men or non-technical women for political reasons and are crap.

They try to make technology interesting to women by making it about everything except technology.

They succeed at getting social science majors to write 5 lines of Python before going back to chatting, but alienate the only thing that is actually going to result in women being in technology: women liking real technology.
>>
>>45427554
I was lucky in that I was actually surrounded by tech-competent women... but yeah that shit doesn't usually happen.
>>
>>45424880
You don't.
Because women are stupid creatures that can't do shit.
>>
>>45424880
tell them it's a good way to pick up men with jobs
>>
>why aren't there more female programmers?

Because society is too busy freaking out and labeling it as mental illness when the pretty girl doesn't want to be a cheerleader or actress.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.