[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you turn off your computer when you go to sleep?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

File: 4555.jpg (127KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4555.jpg
127KB, 1920x1200px
Do you turn off your computer when you go to sleep?
>>
I usually put it in sleep mode and once a week it bluescreens when I do so.
>>
>>45407337
of course, why would I want it to run all night?
>>
File: image%3A.jpg (321KB, 1200x859px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A.jpg
321KB, 1200x859px
>>45407337
Yes, my PC is noisy.
Pic unrelated
>>
I have a laptop so i put it to sleep when i go to sleep.
>>
>>45407371
Do you seriously need a heatsink for your GPU?
>>
Of course not.
>>
>>45407337
What kind of a fucking retard doesn't?
>>
>>45407396
>Do you seriously need a heatsink for your GPU?
wat
>>
>>45407396
no fans
>>
I leave it on usually like two weeks at a time, then I'll shut it down. I just turn my monitor off so my room isn't bright.
>>
File: 26598-chobits-adorable-chii.jpg (237KB, 1200x1043px) Image search: [Google]
26598-chobits-adorable-chii.jpg
237KB, 1200x1043px
>>45407337
>not sleeping with your computer

Do you even love you're PC?
>>
>>45407415
Look at the posters image that I replied to.
>>
>>45407337
I use hibernation.
>>
>>45407396
that is a heatsink. passive cooling fins
>>
>>45407439
You aren't supposed to use sleep with an ssd, right? Are sleep and hibernation the same thing?
>>
>>45407415
Normal GPUs have heatsinks too, they're just covered by fans and plastic casing.
>>
>>45407475
Actually, some SSDs require you to leave your pc on when you sleep. They have something that when there is no activity (but it needs to be on) the SSD will clean its self to keep the performance the same.
>>
>>45407475
sleep is suspend to ram, hibernate is suspend to hard drive,hibernate is superior as it doesnt require any power after turn off
>>
File: lin.png (1MB, 2752x1536px) Image search: [Google]
lin.png
1MB, 2752x1536px
of course
but not right away
I let some tv series play and let it turn off on its own after 40 minutes

on windows players supported turning off of a PC on playlist end
on stupid linux I have to run alias for shutdown.. meh fucking linux
>>
Not until I think its running slow or I have to move it, its a laptpp
>>
Of course, electricity is $0.36 per KWh in Germany, almost triple of the US average. Stupidly idling it overnight would cost me an extra twenty to thirty bucks a month.
>>
File: 1368766973538.jpg (89KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
1368766973538.jpg
89KB, 768x576px
>>45407337
i can't sleep unless my computer is humming away in the corner
>>
I hibernate my PC then turn it off at the wall. Fucking thing keeps waking itself up if i don't.
>>
I close the lid on my laptop. I assume it goes into some sort of sleep mode.
>>
I just shut my laptop. My desktop however sits on for weeks, maybe months at a time. I check it for dust and clean it regularly. It's basically my movie/TV show bitch.
>>
>>45407910
put on a fricking humidifier or something, that is an abhorrent excuse for putting unnecessary strain on & shortening the lifespan of your computer.

how difficult is it for you f*cking poop-brains to just put the computer to sleep when you know you won't be using it for several hours?

>>45407337
yes, op. of FRIGGING course. my manager where i used to work would keep his computer running all night. i remarked that it was running pretty slow compared to mine and he just nonchalantly goes, "yeah, heh, i leave it on overnight and i think it's just all the programs that are running". and i'm just like... turn the goddamn thing off when you leave the building you demented shit-mongrel. in my head, of course. not out loud.
>>
Yes. I shut it down with a 30 second timer to give me time to undress and get in bed, as a night light.
>>
Sometimes my laptop turns on in the middle of the night, and the sound of the disk drive spinning up wakes me up and I freak out, think it's the NSA and hold down the power button until it shuts down.

Then I feel like an idiot when I wake up for real.
>>
Yes (unless I'm downloading something overnight). I turn off things I'm not using.
>>
>>45408083
>implying some parts aren't more strained by boots than by idling.
>>
>there are people on /g/ right now inconsiderable enough to leave on all their lights in all rooms whenever they're home
>>
>>45407337
No, it shuts itself down.
>>
no, i have to idle on irc in case someone ever comes back
>>
I turn off my monitors but I don't turn off my pc nor put it to sleep.
>>
No, I don't. I just leave it running. Mostly because I'm running lots of virtual machines on it and it's a pain for me to go through and shut them all down.
>>
>>45408174
i dont think theres a single circuit that is more strained by startup than 8 hours of idling, jesus
>>
>>45408278
Hard drives, guy.
>>
>>45407426
>tfw when you do
My laptop would wake me up when I face slammed the corners when I roll in my sleep.
>>
>Provides white noise and a night light

Yes, that's how I'll justify being too lazy to turn it off, the only time I ever do is when it bluescreens.
>>
Every computer I've had that had any type of failure was one that I turned on and off. All the ones I've left on 24/7 have lasted upwards of 8 years with no problems and still going.

I know it's just personal experience and not scientific fact, but it's enough for me.
>>
I've left my laptop on for days at a time, I only put it sleep mode when I'm not using it, rarely do I shut it off. I assume that's not very good for it, right? Could anyone explain why? I'm going to be building my first PC soon, and I figure I'll make sure to take better care of it and shut it off every night.
>>
>>45408174
it's the thermal cycling that really kills electronics with lead-free solder over the long term. Of course extreme heat has effects too, I have so many more hardware problem in the summer though that's because I live in a poorly insulated house in SoCal.
>>
>>45407337
I hibernate because then I don't have to close my shit and reopen it tomorrow
>>
Been putting mine to sleep every night when I go to bed. After 18 hours, it's set to wake up & hibernate itself.

(before 2008 when my Internet addiction blossomed I would shut it down after every use)
>>
Why should I turn them off? That's when the batch jobs start. I've currently got several weeks of low-priority work queued up, and I'm about to kick another couple of weeks worth into the queue before I go on vacation.
>>
>>45408083
Repeatedly booting a computer strains its components, FRIGGER.
>>
>>45408083
>f*cking poop-brains

I can't stop laughing, your writing style is like a fucking ten year olds
>>
>>45408083
>frigging
>f*cking
>fricking

lmao you type like my 10 year old brother
>>
File: bundt.png (9KB, 242x189px) Image search: [Google]
bundt.png
9KB, 242x189px
>>45408584
>your writing style is like a fucking ten year olds

get your head out your ass, buddy. if you're really laughing then i've done what i set out to do: entertain. entertain while offering my anecdote and completely valid opinion. also the post as a whole comes off very eloquent yet informal. refined, yet casual.

if i was gonna say what you just said i woulda said "your writing style is similar to that of a f*cking ten year old's". but you... you're just not "all there". you had a crappy education and now you communicate like a friggin dunce. simplified and crude. lacking vocabulary. bes step it up, pal.

>>45408645
yea yea try something original you unthinking hivemind carbon-copy drone
>>
I keep it on 24/7 because I seed torrents (and have auto-downloads on too). Constantly powering the computer on and off is also bad for the components.
>>
>>45408678
I for one love it, keep up the good work.
>>
>>45408574
It doesn't.
>>
>>45407426
>love you're PC
>love you are PC
>>
>>45408835
newf*g pls
>>
>>45408855
>making english errors is our ebin meme

k
>>
>>45408866
y'ever been to [s4s]? i mean i think it's pretty silly but correcting it at this point is a lost cause.
>>
>>45408908
he didn't check the repeating digits
>>
>>45408694
in the past two years I have powered down my machine 38 times. it's always serving something or other so no. I practical let it run forever
>>
I have electric heat.

Better to spend the power on doing something, than to let it just go directly to heat.
>>
>>45407337
I turn it off to drop encryption keys whenever I'll be away from it, or when it goes through TSA, or whatever.
>>
>>45407426
Read Chobits back when it came out. Never noticed Hideki is in that image.
>>
>>45408908
>[s4s]
Can I ask why did they use square brackets for that board?
>>
>>45408645
>10 year old brother
Which makes you < 18
underage b&, get out
>>
>>45409380
I'm more confused about the seemingly arbitrary grouping of the boards in the first place.
>[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg]
>[i / ic]
>[r9k]
>[s4s]
>[cm / hm / lgbt / y]
>[3 / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / out / po / pol / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / x]
>>
>>45409559
Yeah, what the fuck is up with that?
>>
>>45408440
You're not the only person I've heard that from either though.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.