[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /g/ keep saying it's not a good time to build a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1354831692224s.jpg (2MB, 3032x2007px) Image search: [Google]
1354831692224s.jpg
2MB, 3032x2007px
Why does /g/ keep saying it's not a good time to build a x99 system just yet? Is it due to quality or price? or both?

Can someone educate me please, because I have read a lot of good reviews about x99 mobos and 5930k and 5960x cpu's. Only ddr4 being shit makes sense to me due to price.
>>
>>45365101
I suspect price. There isn't much demand for x99 boards or DDR4 RAM.
>>
>>45365101
Even top end youtubers that render all day see it as a waste of money (probably got half it for free) so unless you do serious work on your PC there really is no point.
>>
>>45365130
>>45365115

I'm going crazy over this. Been thinking/researching for a week now. The issue is that I'm having an opportunity to get one intel CPU for half the price. (Uncle did a contact work for intel).

This is making me want to build a system around 5960x ($520).
Is it still a waste of money in your opinion?
>>
>>45365176
>>45365130
It's worth noting that I'm a motion graphics artist, video editor and videographer.

I'm getting into 3D work as well.
>>
>>45365176
If you have the money, I'd say go for it. It's just the initial investment is out of proportion for most computer users.
>>
>>45365196
That's what I'm thinking. I have started working only 2 years ago. I've been constantly getting better paying work. So I'm thinking of putting one big investment into upgrading my equipment - PC and camera - and then I can get a lot of much better work.

Example of how 5960x can help me is in HDR photo processing for timelapse.

a 6 second timelapse in HDR (3 exposures for each frame) can take up to 4 hours of processing with my current AMD FX-8350.
>>
I've bought a 5960X and 32GB DDR4 RAM.
I'm currently running an X6 1090T + GTX 980 (upgraded from 7870) + 32GB DDR3

I haven't decided what X99 board I want. I'm considering a Rampage V.

But I have heard there are a few people whose boards fried (a couple of Asus X99 Deluxe boards with a fried memory VRM, an MSI, and apparently a Rampage V with a fried PCI-E slot).
>>
>>45365317
Well fuck. What do?

You said you have bought the 5960x. Are you regretting it already?

What do you think of GIGABYTE X99 Gaming G1 WiFi ?
>>
>>45365317

Also if that happens to you and your mobo fries, doesn't Warranty cover it?
>>
>>45365403
>>45365360
Anyone care to answer?
>>
>>45365317
The X99 Deluxe boards fried because of a combination of these things:
• There were balls of solder where there shouldn't have been
• The BIOS didn't properly balance the usage of the VRM's. There's an updated BIOS for them now.
• The Corsair AX860i power supply used was an early model which had older firmware, which does not have OCP enabled by default (you have to manually turn it on). Also, the firmware is not field upgradable.
>>
>>45365317
I'm trying to find a source on the fried PCI-E slot of the Rampage V. I don't know the story there.
>>
>>45365360
If I end up getting a board that doesn't have any issues, I won't regret it.
The trouble is I'm not sure which board I should get yet.
>>
>>45365564
I can have a good discount on GIGABYTE X99 Gaming G1 WiFi
That's why I want to get it. There are bad reviews on newegg though. So I'm a bit worried.
>>
>>45365586
I've got no idea how the Gigabyte X99 boards compare.
Though my current board is a 990FXA-UD7 and it's really solid.
>>
>>45365532
I suppose if you got an X99 Deluxe you could check the VRM to see if they have the unwanted balls of solder, and remove them if they're there. Though I would expect Asus to crack down on it anyway.
>>
>>45365176
>>45365189

Oh hey guy, you're still here?

I'm the guy from Toronto who asked about your 5960 deal.

Don't ask why I'm awake at 4am. Just... don't...
>>
>>45365678
haha.
Did you get my respond from the other thread?

The deal on the CPU is not from anywhere but my uncle who worked as a contractor for intel.
So sorry broh.

Also, why are you awake at 4am?
>>
Penis.
>>
File: 6GITB.gif (438KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
6GITB.gif
438KB, 500x390px
>>45365809
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.