[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone here own a Mac during the early days of OS X? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14

File: OS_X_Logo.png (17KB, 155x62px) Image search: [Google]
OS_X_Logo.png
17KB, 155x62px
Did anyone here own a Mac during the early days of OS X?

How was it like using your Mac? Did you use Apple Works or Microsoft Office? Were you ever limited to a really early version of OS X due to growing system requirements and thus you had to buy a new Mac?

Did you ever find yourself saying

>Ah, I'm on a Mac. Can't quite do that.
>>
>>45345428

bump
>>
>>45345428
Don't you feel sort of dumb that Apple could have used an x86 processor for years rather than PowerPC, and that when they did go x86(_64) that it was considered 'innovation'?

Yeah, I used eMacs in school. They were rad though.
>>
File: 1409034860437.jpg (217KB, 1000x1000px)
1409034860437.jpg
217KB, 1000x1000px
>>45345428
OS X was an unstable crash prone piece of shit, just like OS 9 and everything before it. The only difference being it used to be the entire OS that crashed every 15 minutes. With OS X it's applications that crash every 15 minutes due to apple sloppily copying and pasting chunks of OS 6-9, OpenBSD, FreeBSD5, Rhapsody and NextStep together with tons of shitty bandaid fixes to make them all behave together.

And it's pretty much still that way today.
>>
File: 1402454559603.gif (88KB, 320x240px)
1402454559603.gif
88KB, 320x240px
>>45346306

I genuinely laughed, thanks.
>>
>>45345930

Well I think it did have a good effect on OS X because it made it into a niche operating system which sort of forced developers to create unique programs as opposed to just trying to do what was done on Windows.

>>45346306

I have actually heard about people complaining about applications crashing. I never really had that problem with Windows.
>>
File: f01cac83492a.jpg (32KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
f01cac83492a.jpg
32KB, 500x483px
>>45345428
I had pic related (400Mhz G3, 128MB RAM, 10GB HD) and installed 10.0 just a week or two after release. I was only 11 or 12 at the time, though, so my perception may be skewed.

I used AppleWorks as it was the only office suite that ran natively (thanks to Carbon).

There were frustrating points but they came more from the fact that practically nothing was native (had to run under Classic mode, which was virtualized OS 9) and bits of the system that simply hadn't been implemented yet. There were some odd quirks too like the cursor occasionally disappearing.

>>45345930
I've always wanted to do an eMac case mod, you could fit a ton of guts in that case if you replaced the hulking CRT with an LCD
>>
>>45346306
OS X 10.0 had very little in common with classic Mac OS (in fact, their biggest effort to make things compatible with both OSes, CarbonLib, was more of a backport from OS X to OS 9). What little it did have in common has been ruthlessly driven out through the years, particularly with 10.7 and up. Even Quicktime got axed for the more new and much more modern AVKit.

As far as application stability goes, that depends entirely on third-party developers. 9 times out of 10, stability issues under OS X are caused by developers being sloppy with memory allocation, retain cycles, and thread safety or ignoring all those entirely (the same goes for iOS, actually). I write my own Cocoa applications and once I get all the memory issues lined out they're really, really hard to crash, and I'm an amateur at best. It doesn't take genius intellect to comprehend Objective-C memory management.
>>
>>45346306
Wasn't Rhapsody just the prototype of Mac OSX?
>>
>>45346306
Linus pls go.
>>
File: rhapsodydr2.png (77KB, 1024x768px)
rhapsodydr2.png
77KB, 1024x768px
>>45348390
Kinda, it was more like OPENSTEP with an OS 9-like Platinum UI layered on.

Aqua wouldn't roll around until Mac OS X DP3, which looked like...
>>
File: macosxdp3.png (477KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
macosxdp3.png
477KB, 1024x768px
>>45348846
>which looked like...
...this.
>>
If you don't like something about OSX: It's your fault.

If something doesn't work correctly and it's not an Apple product: Consider yourself lucky Apple even lets you do it.

I just gave up trying to dual boot linux on my 2011 macbook, what a joke they purposefully made this shit impossible.
>>
>>45348893
>I just gave up trying to dual boot linux on my 2011 macbook, what a joke they purposefully made this shit impossible.
Shit's easy yo. What are you trying to dual boot?

You can either take the Apple-supported route which is to use the boot camp assistant to create a secondary OS partition and install Windows on said partition or if you've got an EFI-capable OS you can just use Disk Utility to drop in a partition to install your OS on.

I've done the former dozens of times and it's never not worked. In the case of Windows, Apple neatly packages up all the drivers you need and even provides an HFS+ driver so you can grab shit from your OS X partition while booted into Windows. I don't know what more they can do when it comes to making it easy to run alternative operating systems.

Sure as hell beats what you have to do with PCs that come with Windows 8 and higher where you have to dive into a Windows control panel to disable that secure boot shit before you can do anything.
>>
>>45348977
partitioning didnt work, nothing but 'boot device not supported', live usb didnt work, refind didnt work either, now ive got a 30 gig partition that cannot be deleted so i have to redownload the 10.10 installer and get it onto a usb and now im about to reboot to actually try to get it back to normal.

serves me right for trying to do something apple doesnt feel their users should do
>>
>>45348999
still lacking details here

what are you trying to install? what machine are you installing it on? how did you partition? etc etc
>>
>>45349016
tried to dual boot debian and got nowhere, couldnt even do ubuntu.

its not like you can help me, you are talking about fucking boot camp and shit when this is obviously above your level (and apparantly mine as well)

but since you cant read: 2011 macbook, 10.10 resized the partition in osx originally, but since live usb's wouldnt work no matter what it ended up being useless. managed to get halfway through boot sequence once but that was it. also tried just dding the iso straight onto a partition but that did nothing. tried using refind but nothing but boot device not found so im done, ill stick to VM's and just buy a wifi usb stick if i want to do injections
>>
>>45348856

> those grey lines
> those blue buttons

confirmed for best OS X gui
>>
>>45349035
boot camp assistant is nothing but a specialized partitioning tool (it creates a hybrid GPT-MBR partition table in addition to normal partitioning) and in some cases a windows driver downloader. nothing hooks it or boot camp explicitly to windows, and as such the tool is sometimes still useful to those looking to dual-boot Linux.

How did you create your thumb drive? plain old dd? if so, the thumb drive will at the very least show up in refind and maybe the standard boot picker as well. If you can get that to boot even with nomodeset you're probably just out of luck as it means Ubuntu doesn't support that specific hardware combo.

and please don't make assumptions. while I do own a real mac (2008 pre-unibody 15" MBP) my primary machine is a hackintosh and my secondary laptop runs Ubuntu w/XFCE. I'm no wizard but I'm not inept either.
>>
>>45348856
>>45348846
Christ you can just FEEL the Jobs in those designs. Why did he have such a raging boner for realistic icons?
>>
File: dock-extras.jpg (253KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dock-extras.jpg
253KB, 800x600px
>>45349053
The 10.0 variant of aqua smoothed out a lot of rough edges, but the beta versions weren't too bad either.
>>
>>45349105
>>45349101
>>45348856
>>45348846
Why is Macshit babby OS so fucking disgusting?
>>
>>45345930
>Apple could have used an x86 processor for years rather than PowerPC
I'm mad that they didn't keep using it though.

Actually, more mad at IBM that they didn't keep improving it.

PowerPC was objectively the better architecture, hell even Intel's "pro" architecture, Itanium, resembled more PPC than x86.

Anyway, the older days of mac were these:
Much better graphics and "real world paradigms" like drag and drop everywhere, etc. than Windows.
They were simply at a different level.

But also their pricing was at a different level (nowadays they're very, very competitively priced) and no peripherals worked unless it was a specific, compatible version.

Because of PPC vs x86, you the "default" behaviour was for a (non-mac-specific) peripheral to *not* work.
>>
>>45349158
Even the most hideous versions of NeXTSTEP and Mac OS are leagues better visibility than the usability nightmare known as Metro or Modern or whatever the hell MS calls their hideous Windows desktop theme these days.
>>
>>45349181
*visibly
>>
>>45349158
OS X was gorgeous in its day.
Compare that shit to Windows XP and it looked a decade ahead of its time.
>>
>>45349181
ok kid
>>
>>45349192
You funny guy.
>>
>>45349101
subtle detail can make an icon a powerful communicative tool when in the right hands
>>
>>45349192
>OS X was gorgeous in its day.
Go to bed little Timmy.
>>
>>45349209
>he liked Luna
>>
>>45349209
I don't understand, are you trying to imply that XP with its cheap Fisher Price design and awful fonts looked good?
>>
>>45349231
All day everyday.
>>
>>45349245
>I don't understand

Oh lol.
>>
File: Windows-Classic.png (44KB, 896x768px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-Classic.png
44KB, 896x768px
>>45349219
>he didn't use Classic Theme
>>
>>45349290
Sad when you have to revert to a theme designed multiple iterations ago because the default one is a hideous mess.
>>
File: yosemite.png (318KB, 888x558px)
yosemite.png
318KB, 888x558px
>>45349245
>complains about old OS that looks like Fisher Price toy

>uses OS that actually is a Fisher Price toy
>>
>>45349307
>uses
>implying
OS X looks like a high end toy for spoiled children. XP looks like some poor kid's only Christmas present.
>>
>>45349307
>Hes not old enough to remember when Windows XP was released.
XP was the Fisher Price OS.
>>
>>45349344
>Hes not old enough to remember when OS X was released.
OS X is still a Fisher Price OS.
>>
>>45345428
Does 10.3 count?
I didn't own a 10.2 machine, but I used one regularly
>>
File: no.png (386KB, 1060x730px)
no.png
386KB, 1060x730px
>>45346306
>shit-talking OS 9
>>
>>45349409
10.2 was the first truly usable OS X, but 10.2 through 10.4 was a pretty comfy period. Aside from features it brought (Spaces) I never was a fan of Leopard.
>>
>>45349425
>any OS X
>usable
>>
>>45349420
>ShitOS 9
>good
>>
>>45349457
> Windows
> Viruses, viruses, viruses, etc...
>>
>>45345428
I had a 2002 imac. Gorgeous design, but until the age of nuc's, you were stuck with the hardware cause nothing else would fit in the case. Earliest I had was 10.2. Thought it was a sweet, useable system. Used Ms office on it, for reasons. No crashes. Maybe I got lucky. I miss PowerPC.
>>
>>45349444
>mouse acceleration that you cannot turn off without custom software
>>
>>45348856
>Feels like KDE 3.x series
Oh boy, those were the days
>>
>Did anyone here own a Mac during the early days of OS X?
An old PowerMac G3 (and later G4) from my Dad's company.

>How was it like using your Mac? Did you use Apple Works or Microsoft Office?
Office for school.
>Were you ever limited to a really early version of OS X due to growing system requirements and thus you had to buy a new Mac?
No, the PowerMacs were pretty decent devices.

>Did you ever find yourself saying
>>Ah, I'm on a Mac. Can't quite do that.
Gaming. Too nerdy for the cool kids, to macfag for the gaming nerds.
>>
File: IMac_G5_inside.jpg (316KB, 1024x768px)
IMac_G5_inside.jpg
316KB, 1024x768px
iMac G5, started with OS X 10.3 Panther.
Shortly after I tried a Mac running 10.2 Jaguar. I don't know how people got along without Exposé.

I used Appleworks, part because it came with the machine, but more because the word processor probably had its roots in Macwrite which I used on my older Macs thus was accustomed to. Even when I later installed NeoOffice and iWork, I still kept using Appleworks to write stuff.

>Ah, I'm on a Mac. Can't quite do that.
Nope. Closest was my old MP3 player. Despite claiming Mac compatibility, the firmware reset utility was Windows only ... and the firmware would regularly shit itself.
>>
>>45346306
>And it's pretty much still that way today.
'no'
>>
>>45345930
>Don't you feel sort of dumb that Apple could have used an x86 processor for years rather than PowerPC, and that when they did go x86(_64) that it was considered 'innovation'?
No, I feel upset that I could still be using new PowerPC Macs and Apple had to go and downgrade to x86 and call it an upgrade.
>>
>>45345428
I had a G3 iMac it was crap, but then again PCs in 2000 were even worse.
>>
>>45349158
install Windows 8 xD
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.