[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

stupid questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 17

How can I install firefox addons in seamonkey, without modding them each individually?

also, stupid questions thread
>>
bemp
>>
File: 13-128-723-TS.jpg (17KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
13-128-723-TS.jpg
17KB, 300x225px
I need a new 1150 mobo. What does /g/ recommend? What specs should I be looking for? This one seems like a good deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128723
...But really I'm looking for an affordable one.

I'll soon be cashing out on a deal for a $99 i7-4790K, but I currently have an AM3+ mobo, so I'll need to replace it.
>>
After I restarted my laptop running kubuntu the sound won't work anymore. What can I do to fix it? Laptop is a Acer Aspire V3
>>
>>45341723
Also, aside from a few USB and audio ports, what else am I usually sacrificing when I go for a mATX/ITX mobo? I would like to have an ITX build for lan parties sometime in the future.
>>
File: watdo.png (18KB, 677x342px) Image search: [Google]
watdo.png
18KB, 677x342px
Repost from old thread >>45340935
Shit /g/, what do I do?
Should I just try chkdsk /f again?
>>
How's bluetooth and switchable graphics support on ganoo/loonix these days?
>>
Can I use a raspberry pi as a torrent/file server?
>>
>>45342271
Yes.
>>
>>45342396
does it work nicely? Or is it going to be constant lack of I/O and etc? Should I stack 2?
>>
>>45340692

I ruled those out after reinstalling countless times. I'm also on GNU-Linux and the crashes are weird as in they never show any errors or offer me a chance to read them. Only once did it switch to a TTY and that's how I found it was a kernel panic.
>>
Hey /g/, I heard that vapes are able to install malware on your computer if you want to charge them via USB, is there any truth behind this?
I mean, it's a fucking battery.
>>
How do I run .iso files?
>>
Is there any way to update to OS 10.4 to OS 10.9 without having to buy the updates from a mac store? Can't find any good torrents.
>>
>>45342590

You can't run them. You can either mount them (to access the files inside) or extract their content with an archive manager.
>>
>>45342635
Alright, then how do I do that?

What's the best terminal emulator?
>>
>>45341917
Pls halp.
>>
I need to replace my wireless router. It's several years old and randomly drops connection multiple times a day. Even with a booster the range doesn't reach everywhere in my house. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>45342668

Which OS? Since you're asking for a terminal emulator, I assume it's GNU.Linux.
There are plenty, test them all out if you want.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software#Terminal_Emulators

As for the ISO, you can mount it with
mount -o loop youriso.iso /the_folder_where_you_want_it/iso
>>
File: Untitled.png (49KB, 520x498px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
49KB, 520x498px
For the love of god PLEASE someone help me. I am pulling my fucking hair out with this problem.

First I have a few questions. Is it physically possible for a CPU to go from 85C to 40C in a matter of 15 seconds? If I get my CPU to a max temp, could I quickly turn it off, pull out the heatsink and feel the CPU to see if it really is hot?

I ask this because my CPU has been overheating. At first, it was REALLY bad. My CPU was going up to 90-110C while gaming. Somehow it never crashed or shutdown or anything which is why I kind of feel the sensor is wonky but I'll get to that later. So when I noticed this, I went out and bought a new motherboard, and a new heatsink. This helped a bit and I never got such outrageous readings again. But still I was hitting 90C every once in a while. So then I post online and everyone gave me pretty much the same advice. Organize your cables, reapply thermal paste, get better airflow, clean the dust. I organized my cables.. I reapplied my thermal paste a million fucking times and watched so many how tos that I am convinced it cannot be the problem. I use the grain of rice method. I got more fans and read tons of shit on how to set up airflow for a PC. I even went out and bought more expensive fans after my results still didn't change and that didn't help either. I have dusted the case so many fucking times it is practically void of dust. Do not tell me to dust it. I've done all of that and STILL I am getting a max temp of 85C when running games and a temp that jumps between 50-70 when just browsing the internet and listening to music.

Is it at all possible that my CPU is fine and the sensor is just fucked up? I ask because on if I open BIOS it has never read any higher than 40C even when I run stress the CPU as much as I can and quickly hit the restart button on my case. I really have no clue what to do. I am tempted to build a completely new computer because this is driving me so crazy.
>>
Why the fuck does windows 7 run out of memory on my system? I have 8GB of RAM and often when I try to play Red Orchestra 2 windows complains it's running low on memory.
RO2 is only using about 1-3 GB max.
Weird thing is this only started happening after I did a fresh install of windows half a year ago.
If the pagefile was disabled I could understand, but that's still enabled on my SSD.
>>
>>45341442
>How can I install firefox addons in seamonkey, without modding them each individually?
halp
>>
>>45342764
Your heatsink is probably installed wrong. No full contact, so huge temp variation.
>>
>>45342764
Maybe you could take a picture of the inside of your pc for us.

Also, I have no experience with AMD cpus, but a 1.4 volt power draw looks pretty damn high. What power supply are you using? Maybe it could be dirty power.
>>
>>45342822

Installed wrong how? It's installed exactly how the instructions said to install it.
>>
>>45342735
>I assume it's GNU.Linux.
Nope, it's Wangblows 7.
How do I dual boot?
>>
What do you think of the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 ultrabooks?
>>
>>45342887

Why would you dual boot? Just to mount the ISO? You don't have to do that.
Download WinCDEmu to mount ISOs and other image files. Install it and then just double click the image you want to mount.
>>
Can anyone write a simple userscript that applies this CSS to the site's default buttons (the ones that don't have css already)

http://pastebin.com/jc8XCXx5 (embed)

for the same of it you could just point the userscript at www.example.com I guess

I'm curious because last time I tried this I couldn't figure it out
>>
Can I install 5.0 OTA while my phone is rooted?
>>
Would a PCI-e wireless card work better than buying a router? it's cheaper for sure, what software should I use to set up a network with one should I get one?
>>
File: shittyfont.png (286KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
shittyfont.png
286KB, 1280x768px
Why is my font rendering so shit?

Linux Mint 13 with LXDE, 1024x768
>>
Using Windows 8.1 and just got an odd error message.

Logging in took a longer time than usual, when all of a sudden this message popped up. I can't remember everything that it said, but some of it was "setup.cpp" or something similar, and something else mentioning "Windows Vista Service Pack 0".

PC seems to be running fine now.
>>
>>45343095
>Why would you dual boot? Just to mount the ISO? You don't have to do that.
I know. I just wanted to try out some free software.
>Download WinCDEmu to mount ISOs and other image files. Install it and then just double click the image you want to mount.
Thanks, man.
>>
>>45343243

Unrelated, but: isn't Linux Mint 13 four versions behind the current release? Why are you usingi t?
>>
>>45343243
Install Infinality.
>>
>>45343292
It's LTS, equivalent to 12.04, which is the officially supported platform for Steam.
>>
>>45343266

Dual booting is never worth it. If you want to just "play" around with GNU-Linux, install it in a virtual machine.

If you're a fan of free software, you'll like WinCDEmu because it's free software (licensed under the GNU GPL).
>>
Anyone know if the zowie AM is any good?
>>
>>45343312

Why not switch to Ubuntu 14.04 which is the latest LTS Ubuntu? Surely it can't be worse.
>>
Am I banned?
>>
>>45343334
I don't want to start over.
>>
>>45341442
how is this even a question, just go to seamonkey>tools>addons and choose from what's there

>>45341748
restart again?

>>45342849
>implying you understood the instructions
>>
>>45343401
>how is this even a question, just go to seamonkey>tools>addons and choose from what's there
you never did that, did you?
>90% of plugins missing
>>
>>45343453
it's a version number issue bruh, so install nightly tester tools and turn off compatability checking or whatever it is
>>
Which is better the LG G3 or HTC One m8?
>>
Anybody ever have issues with Linux identifying one of those cheap high resolution monitors?
>>
>>45343315
What virtual machine software should I install?
>>
>>45341917
>>45342693
Yeah, try again. I don't see any errors, it just says they're incorrect so I assume they got fixed.

Run chkdsk again, perhaps everything's ok.
>>
Can i put those memos
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104262

to this MB?

http://en.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-970a-ud3rev_10/specs/
>>
>>45343551
Alright, will do. Thanks.
>>
>>45343548

VirtualBox should do the trick.
>>
>>45343385
You don't have to. I don't know how much customization you did, but you probably can get away with backing up /usr/ and /home/ dirs, installing Ubuntu and pasting those dirs in your HDD.
>>
>>45343573
I like VMware better, I feel it a bit more solid than VirtualBox... but I don't know, maybe VirtualBox has evolved since then?

The USB "forwarding", or I don't know how to call it, is something I could never get working on VirtualBox.

>>45343505
I've heard HTC One is more hackable. I'm looking forward to get one.
>>
I had to reinstall windows and used my USB to do it, doing the thing where you have to turn it bootable

When it came time to format it and turn it back I did, and got urDrive ect

It works on my computer, but won't work on my ps3. Not that the files on it wont play, the thing isn't even showing up at all under "video"

What do I do?
>>
>>45343492
it doesnt help, still cant install other addons
>>
if a router only supports n protocol wired and i attach a new wireless router to the existing, will it then convert the n signal to ac (supported by the new router)

The two router i am speaking of
Technicolor TG799 (1st/n only)
DIR-868L (2nd/ac)
>>
>>45343689
you could try older versions of the addons you want
>>
At what RAM capacity is it safe to turn off the Windows 7 pagefile?

Does Windows 8.1 handle paging and my memory better?
>>
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, thus I am assuming it is.

Is it likely any of the high-end cards will go on sale during black friday/cyber monday? Stuff like the GTX 970, 980, etc.
>>
File: Selection_016.jpg (14KB, 522x105px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_016.jpg
14KB, 522x105px
I've moved to Ubuntu for good. I'm just learning and I feel pretty comfortable by now. I got Aircrack-ng working, recompiled and patched stuff so... I guess "I'm free now".

I switched to Gnome, and I was testing the latest version of an extension from Github. I didn't like it so I removed it, but every time I log in from suspend or something, it shows this error. Where can I find the logs or details about it? Clicking on it shows nothing. Nothing's broken, it's just a bit annoying.
>>
>>45343661

VirtualBox is alright for a "beginner" who doesn't benefit from better performance and more features. It's also free software and he seems to like that.
>>
>>45343766
can you post the output of
pstree -s $(pidof X)
>>
>>45342437
Make sure your http's are installed correctly and everything should be fine.
>>
File: 81zh0e6K6YL._SL1500_.jpg (160KB, 1500x569px) Image search: [Google]
81zh0e6K6YL._SL1500_.jpg
160KB, 1500x569px
Let's say I want to connect a 5.1 system to my computer. How would I go about doing this? I currently have a long auxiliary cable connected to some cheap speakers, but I was wondering what I could change up if I went with a receiver.
>>
>>45343726
I'd say it depends on what you do. I had Windows 8.1 with 6GB of RAM and the pagefile was rarely used (perhaps a Windows bug since I tried to move it to my SSD), and I got "low on memory" warnings when running Visual Studio, FIrefox, Internet Explorer, Powershell, Media Player and FIreworks (yeah, I don't use Photoshop). So from experience, I'd say 6GB of RAM is a bare minimum, 8GB should be OK to turn off.

Just try turning it off. You're "safe" as long as you pay attention to the low RAM warnings.

>>45343778
Sure:
init---gdm---Xorg---{Xorg}
>>
What display manager is easiest to add and recognize WMs?

planning on using an arch install script and then switching WMs and I want something that will work.
>>
>>45343859
thanks
>>
>>45343859
Let's say I'm upgrading to 8GB, is there a bare minimum size of pagefile I should keep, in case I'm being paranoid?
>>
what is the safest way of getting windows for free? i dont want to see something about not having a valid operating system or anything like that
>>
>>45343851
You'll need to use the coaxial or the optical, or one of the HDMIs. The standard white-red RCA can only output stereo, and stretching stereo signal to surround is pants-on-head retarded.
>>
>>45343916
>what is the safest way of getting windows for free?
run the trial, rearm every half year and reinstall every 18 months. which is probably a good idea anyway
>>
>>45343916
It's not technically "free", but if you enroll in a community college that has full MSDN access you can download pretty much any MS product for free. You have to pay tuition, but when I went it was like $20 a unit which is basically nothing.
>>
>>45343867

Ditch the script, go to the Arch Wiki and read through the beginners guide. There are like 10 lines you need to write.

I use LightDM myself and it recognized Openbox without any mannual intervention.
>>
>>45343882
Back in the old days of 1GB or 2GB it was recommended to have the pagefile as big as your RAM. Nowadays I'd say "leave it to windows", but you're paranoid, aren't you?

I had mine at 2GB, so I'd say 4GB should be alright. Bigger doesn't actually hurt as far as I know... it just reduces the amount of disk space by the size of the pagefile.

Actually... now that I think about it, if you're "security paranoid" you shouldn't be enabling the pagefile. Is that the kind of paranoid we're talking about?
>>
whats a good upgrade from a geforce gtx660?

My budget is $300-$400

I know a little about nvidia cards, but not much of radeon, so Im just unsure.
>>
>>45343916

>download ISO (links can be found on MyDigitalLife forums)
>verify the SHA1 of the ISO by comparing it to the one from Microsoft
>download DAZ loader (also from MyDigitalLife forums or elsewhere)
>compare to the hash with the one shown in the MDL forums for it
>activate
>>
I want to build a small home server for FTP and maybe a webpage (mostly for shits and giggles).

Are there any QUIET ones?

I'd like it small and as quiet as possible.

Also, low power consumption is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>45344053
old netbook
>>
File: pc.png (128KB, 1886x891px) Image search: [Google]
pc.png
128KB, 1886x891px
I'm looking to build a PC for my Mom for Christmas because her laptop is shit.

This is what I have so far.

She does not game and primarily uses the computer for checking email, shopping, and stuff in word. I know it's a bit overkill but I want the computer to be fast even if it is loaded with bloat (ie. 50 toolbars in FF because she still doesn't know to uncheck the "install ASK toolbar" icon in the Java update). This is primarily why I have the APU, SSD, and 8GB of RAM.

It also need peripherals such as screen, mouse, keyboard, wireless card, and audio. Right now I have a logitech keyboard mouse combo, a 1440x900 monitor with audio included (even though it's shit), and a rosewill wireless card. I am partial to a cheaper monitor w/o speakers and a cheap logitech pair if need be.

Budget is around $400ish. I am already over by around $75, I am not willing to spend more. I will not buy mechanical keyboards or high end DACs and speakers.

Let me know if I should change anything, forgot anything, or whatever.
>>
i got a g602, is there a way i can set the g keys to switch between different functions depending on what site im on?
>>
>>45344067
Don't they get hot as shit?

I'm looking for something like a bigger and non retarded Raspberry Pi.

Also, no need for display.
Once I get CentOS or Debian in there I can take over using SSH
>>
Please help, I'm retarded and I need a new phone.

It should comfortably stream things like twitch.tv, sports and TV shows (from random sites on the internet, not the above-board Hulu services).

I'd also like a nice(ish) camera, the ability to store torrented music on it, and possibly play emulated gameboy games or other such shit on it.

With this in mind, I'm leaning towards a Galaxy Note 4, though I couldn't give less of a shit about the stylus feature.

Should I just accept my smartphone illiteracy and get an iphone 6/6 plus?

AT&T is my carrier, and I'm pretty loath to switch, as I have a grandfathered-in unlimited data plan, which I'd be loath to surrender if I'm going to be streaming shit on phone.
>>
>>45343568
If you're the same person, I told you already.
It says: "Warning! F parameter not specified." Meaning you probably typed something wrong.
Command prompt > chkdsc c: /f
Maybe you haven't specified a volume? Do this for all of them. System volume requires reboot.

After it does that you can run another one:
chkdsc c: /r
>>
>>45343987
>Back in the old days of 1GB or 2GB it was recommended to have the pagefile as big as your RAM.
This is still recommended on linux if you plan on using hibernate, since on linux suspend to disk works by dumping all the ram to the pagefile partition. It's been quite a few years since I've used windows, but from what I recall, it uses a separate file called hibernate.sys or some crap like that instead, so it never actually touches the official pagefile. So you don't need to worry about it on Windows (again, this is me recalling from ~4 years ago, if not longer, so take with a grain of salt). But on any modern OS with a decent amount of RAM, if you don't plan on using hibernate, you don't really need pagefile at all. I keep a small one to force my system to thrash to disk as a sort of coal mine canary for memory leaks, but otherwise it shouldn't be doing anything.
>>
File: backup.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
backup.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
I want to backup my whole system to an external drive. What is the best/most reliable backup program? there are too many options.

Macrium Reflect(free)
Easeus todo backup(free)
Paragon Hard Disk Manager (free)
AOMEI Backupper (free)
Acronis True Image (not free)
?
I want something easy that can be trusted incase my HDD croaks. Thanks!!
>>
File: 71JQ1zydqDL._SL1500_.jpg (104KB, 1500x1249px) Image search: [Google]
71JQ1zydqDL._SL1500_.jpg
104KB, 1500x1249px
>>45343929
I guess I'll use an absurdly long optical cable since my GPU is a total slut with all of the ports filled.
Many thanks.
>>
Can Windows write anything like backdoor on flash-drive? I want to install Ubuntu but if Windows can do such things then new system would be compromised by default. What do?
>>
I need some help. Should I buy a pre-built PC from newegg and upgrade it as I go, or build my own PC? I never built a PC, and deciding on what parts to buy is the hardest part for me. Also, does anyone have the website that lists parts by tier and price and stuff?
>>
>>45344157
clonezilla
>>
>>45343505
Better in what sense? More CustomRoms? Better battery? Better design? Better performance?
Personaly i would prefer the m8 because of the "Speakers".
>>
got my first nvidia card yesterday. strix 970. can i set dsr to only apply to games and not desktop use? I'm on a 1440 monitor and i want to run games at 4k settings downsampled onto this display. i just don't want to have to change the resolution back and forth when i am and am not playing games.
>>
I have a website I'm working on in php and I want to make things such as database name, user, password is all changable from on file.
Tl;dr
how do I get variables from a local file with php
>inb4 mode.js
>>
>>45344237
guys?
>>
>>45344244
Building a PC is fairly easy, there are even video guides everywhere on jewtube. Deciding what to buy depends on what you want to do. I don't really use it, but the Falcon guide's a thing so you might want to start there and look at he different parts through retailers.
>>
>>45344244
This shows you what you kinda want
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
this is where you check if all parts work otgeher and if you can get any sweet discounts
http://pcpartpicker.com/

building a pc is not that hard really aslong as you don't try to watercool it or something hard right of the bat.
>>
>>45344301

>4 minutes without a response
>"guys"

No. To both.
>>
Is this a good budget build for gaming?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tgQKnQ
>>
>>45343796
http? Also I assume I want to install rtorrent right?
>>
>>45343991
GTX 970, or wait until ATI releases their next set of cards, or wait until Nvidia releases their response to that, etc
>>
>>45344270
Looks complicated anon. anything with a GUI for a dummy like myself?
>>
>>45344111

anyone? pls...
>>
>>45342801
Have you checked your process list in task manager to see what is using up all the memory?
>>
>>45344360
>ATI
Whoops, I forgot what year it was
>>
>>45344305
>>45344323
I heard someone describe it as "adults legos". Is that a fair assessment? Would there be better deals on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?
>>
>>45341723
$99 i7? Where? And as for specs, what do YOU need? OC? WiFi? SLI?
>>
>>45344328
How do I check that? There is no so-called checksum for flash drive like for file.
>>
>>45344393
>adult legos

That's quite accurate. Snap, connect, done
>>
>>45344361
it's not really complicated, but if you can't figure out what the options mean and which one you should use, then I'm not sure a gui would help you
>>
What's the best program for managing SSD's?
>>
What are some good resources for Cisco Certification practice questions and labs?
>>
File: Capture.png (91KB, 1035x948px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
91KB, 1035x948px
>>45344368
Yeah. Firefox uses quite a lot, but other than that no single program uses a lot of memory. I would think all the other shit would just be offloaded to the pagefile.
Pic is without running any game, just my desktop and some programs that are usually open (firefox, thunderbird, etc)
>>
What exactly is 900p? I'm hearing that its 1600x900 but my monitor is 1440x900 and I can't find shit on what is actually 900p
>>
>>45344435
Just make sure to leave your wool socks in the drawer or its zap, connect, dead
>>
my processor has pretty much fused together to my heatsink. What do i do to remove them without damage. Ive tried using a hair dryer and tooth floss but it doesnt budge. Processor is 8350 and heatsink is the h80i
>>
>>45344466
anything with 900 pixels vertically, so they both are 900p
>>
>>45344393
>I heard someone describe it as "adults legos".
Basically.
>>
>>45344393
It can definitely be described as adult legos it's actually easier then some of the lego builds I've done.

Look at this youtube video /watch?v=roFb3TNePIg it's a bit old so parts are not up to date but it covers everything.
>>
>>45344435
>>45344467
>>45344484

Thanks, guys. The hardest part is finding the best parts for the price, in my opinion. Is logicalincrements as a valid guide to go by?
>>
>>45344053
>>45344092
pls respond
>>
>>45341816
Mainly pci-e ports and maybe some sata ports, sometimes only gives you 2 ram slots but if you know what you're going to be getting then go with ITX, but if you think you're going to upgrade to like 32gb of RAM and a huge Video Card then just go atx
>>
>>45344468
is it still in the socket or no?
>>
>>45344484
the most difficult part is figuring out all the case connectors which are often just a bunch of single pin connectors that you have to decipher where to plug in
>>
>>45344501
it's a nice guide yeah, it's even made by a /g/ regular if you didn't know. Hardware is very unclear in terms of bang for buck at times.
>>
>>45344237
Can it? Guys?
>>
>>45344501
If you want the best prices not really. There are usually daily sales on various models of similar RAM or motherboards, look for those if you want to get the best deal.
>>
>>45341442
I have LiquidSmooth 4.3 for my Note 2. I'm trying to keep it 4.3 because I find other ROM's not as customizable and modular for me, plus LS 4.4 sucks.

Google Play Store updated to 5.0.38 and everytime I try to update other apps it crashes. In fact, every Google Play app seems to crash. I've managed to keep using them if I roll back updates, but Google Play Store keeps trying to auto-update everything and crash itself again.

Any possible fixes or a solution to this? Will I just have to update apps manually via APK's?
>>
What's a good irc client for iOS?
>>
>>45344573
I assume hexchat works
>>
I want a tablet with W8 and at least one USB port.
>>
This guy >>45344328 is a degenerate who can't even prove his point.
>>
>>45344529
>>45344536
Thanks again, guys. Where's a good place to look for sales? Newegg?
>>
>>45344602
No one has to prove anything, go do your own research.
>>
What is a torrent server for? Is it a proxy between me and my PC for those tracking it? Can the protocol be used remotely and install remotely? If it's on the same network as my home, does it do anything differently than just downloading torrents from my PC?
>>
>>45344151
Yeah, I realized about the swap partition. My Ubuntu install created a partition as big as my RAM, but I didn't know it used it for hibernate (I never use that).

On Windows, hiberfil.sys still exists and it's used on Windows 8 AFAIK for the "hybrid shutdown" too.

>>45344284
That's quite simple. Take Codeigniter, or Wordpress for example.

You could just create a config.php file:
// As a var
$config['mysetting'] = 'my value';
// As a constant
define('MYSETTING', 'MYVALUE');

Later during the execution of your thing, depending on how your thing fits together, you just include config.php in your bootstrap file or something, for example:
include('config.php');
// Do something with $config items
// ... or do something with the constants, depending on which one you like
>>
>>45344625
it's basically a dedicated PC that does what your PC does when you run any torrent client, but can be much smaller and less powerful.
>>
>>45344581
Not on the app store
I used to have irssi compiled on an old jailbroken iPod, but that was super inefficient.
>>
>>45344611
feel free to hang me for suggesting reddit but r/buildapcsales is a decent source
>>
>>45344615
If you can't stand for your point then go fuck yourself. You're useless for people and you just waste their time.
>>
>>45344659
Oh, iOS, right. Thought you meant OS X or whatever Macs run. I know a lot of people run Colloquy
>>
File: 1411272870316.jpg (141KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1411272870316.jpg
141KB, 600x600px
>>45344637
Thanks mate!
>>
>>45344682
Alright, thanks.
>>
>>45344679
It's not my point, I'm just saying you should leave if you want to start fights.
>>
>>45344593
And my question would be: Which one can you recommend?
Surface Pro 3 is quite expensive, but looks nice.
>>
>>45344651
I don't mean to eat away at it, but could you give me an example of how it'd be more useful than just using the torrent client on my PC?
>>
>>45344458
If I'm correct, windows doesn't offload anything into the page file unless the system runs out of physical memory or the system crashes.
I do see a lot of processes there, and even though the individual sizes don't seem to big, all of that can add up to take up huge amounts of space.
You should look though those processes and find any that you don't recognize and google them to see if they are crucial system processes or stuff that you have intentionally launched in the background.
>>
>>45344410
Yes there is. You can calculate any checksum on the raw contents of the flash drive.

Windows DOES create some hidden files, but they're "metadata" and storage (the $RECYCLEBIN$ folder). If you don't trust Windows at all, just prep your flashdrive on another already Linux pc.
>>
>>45344116
Yeah, I'm the same person, and I already did that, but that came up after I did chkdsk c: /f and chkdsk /f.
Many thanks.
Also, what's a system volume?
>>
>>45344679
this is a question thread, not a debate thread. Start a new thread if you want to fight.

>>45344699
It's not. The point is to save power or resources. For instance, you can seed your torrents 24/7 while still being able to shut down your laptop.
>>
>>45344718
Ohhhhhhh, OK. I thought it was like a seedbox but used locally, now I get it. Thanks.
>>
>>45344695 >>45344718
I wasn't about to fight. I hate schoolkids who knows shit and acts like they've been allowed to post in this thread. Just like that guy.
>>
>>45344735
well it's basically a seedbox with your own internet speed instead of 100mbps or whatever you buy.
>>
>>45344611
newegg has already started specials for the african american friday
>>
>>45344735
Seedboxes almost always run linux and deluge/rtorrent. In this sense if you're running Windows, rtorrent is (mostly) inaccessible to you. Rtorrent is subjectively a much more feature filled client than others, so you would kind of get more use out of a torrent server of your own should you install linux
>>
>>45344755
But I'm assuming it will still be under my local IP unless I had it proxied, correct?
>>
>>45344458
This >>45344701
I'd start with:
>CCC.exe - I'm not sure you need it
>MOM.exe - Is it a joke?
>msnmsgr - W-why? It's been de-commissioned all over the world, except for asia if I'm not mistaken
>WLIDSVC.exe - same as above
>>
Do ASUS make good laptops? I'm considering the ASUS R510DP-FH11 if it gets closer to $600 during black friday.

If not, what are some good laptops to look out for at that price point?
>>
>>45343564
up

Memos are 1.65V, MB only says 1.5V
>>
I don't understand laptop CPUs. My main criteria is being able to play 10bit 1080p movies. Can every i3 and AMD A series CPU handle this?
>>
>>45344806
yes
>>
>>45344812
CCC is catalyst control center, not 100% needed but I do occasionally use it. MOM is part of it.
I still use live messenger with some friends. Servers are still online and it still works just fine with a slightly modified client.
>>
>>45344814
I've gotten 2 ASUS laptops and they seem great for the price. They seem to be the same as every other brand but a little cheaper, apparently due to outsourcing?

I've only owned ASUS laptops though, so YMMV.
>>
>>45344850
lel they use creative names. I did know about CCC (quick Google), but MOM looked pretty sketchy.

About messenger, as far as I know what Microsoft did was upgrade their infrastructure and MSNP for connecting Skype and all old messenger clients are now connecting to Skype, not messenger. But I'm not sure, my Windows Phone 7 looks like it connects to messenger and shows people online, but no one ever really answers me there.
>>
>>45344814
just look at the hardware and price for it. Most companies make good and bad laptops in terms of price, find one that's good. As for brand, it has almost nothing to do with "good or bad." HP and ASUS are some of the big players in the laptop industry, but really, just pick whatever is cheapest.
>>
>>45344514
No, it came out when i removed the heatsink
>>
>>45344715
Oh c'mon, can't you google it?? It's the C:\, D:\ etc partitions of the HDD.
Anyway, I get the feeling you're not doing something right but I don't have time for this sorry. Try the /r command on all drives, that's it from me.
>>
>>45344538
Any possibility? Is it something I could fix with an Xposed Framework fix? If I'm stuck manually installing, I can deal with it.
>>
>>45344831
>Can every i3 and AMD A series CPU handle this?
Depends what generation they are, I guess.
I don't know much about the A series CPUs, but every i3 should probably be able to play your movies.
So for the most part, I'd say so.
>>
>>45344951
Ghh a volume is a partition, system volume is the one you have your OS on.
>>
On a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to build a PC for someone who never did it before and knows jack shit about it?
>>
>>45344992
>>
>>45344992
[spoiler]9001[/spoiler]
[spoiler]XD!!1
>>
>>45344951
>>45344964
Oh, well in that case, I'm probably not doing anything wrong.
I don't think I have any other partitions except for Q:\, but that has nothing in it.
Pic related.
>>
File: pleasehelpimliterallyretarded.png (37KB, 1024x730px) Image search: [Google]
pleasehelpimliterallyretarded.png
37KB, 1024x730px
>>45344951
>>45345091
Shit, I meant to put >>45344969 instead of that other guy.
I also forgot pic related.
>>
>>45344992
It's much easier than 10 years ago.
You can easily use websites to pick compatible parts. You get instructions with everything and there are unboxing videos, assembly videos, technique instruction videos (apply thermal paste, etc...).
You'll be fine, mate.
>>
>>45344394
Intel retail edge program. It's only for retail employees that work at places that sell intel-based computers (Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, etc.), and basically they try to brainwash you by making you watch a bunch of videos and take quizzes on them. You have to spend a good 3-4 hours on it if you want the $99 deal, but other than that it's really easy.
>>
>>45345172
You will hate everything about intel once you finish it, though, just saying.
>>
File: el00328bk_3_783.jpg (59KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
el00328bk_3_783.jpg
59KB, 800x800px
Would pic related be able to recieve aptX?
The only info I find is a name: Eb-601 and that it works with Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR. It costs about $20 to get home.
>>
First time builder here. My budget is just about $1000. Rate?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cbpbdC
>>
>>45345294
>buying Windows
>>
>>45345294
>>45345351
agree with this. Pirate windows or use linux. Either way will help the world
>>
>>45345294
If it's for only gaming, it's better to put more money into the GPU than the CPU, unless you plan on lots of emulation.
That 750w PSU is overkill, get something closer to 500w bronze certified. Also,
>buying windows
>>
>>45345351
>>45345378
I've never done that before. Would I just fit it on a USB drive and load it up on my new PC?
>>
any recommendation on a pair of dual speakers for my computer? I already have some nice headphones so they don't have to be great. don't want to spend more than $70 and don't want them to be too big.
>>
>>45345410
Can you recommend a good GPU?
>>
>>45345411
It's actually exactly the same as buying it. Download a windows 7 ISO from Digital River (google it) and install. Then install the Daz windows loader after your computer is set up like normal. It's probably easier than buying, actually
>>
>>45345450
>digital river

Huh. How does that work? Getting a free, licensed Windows 7 and all. And what is Daz Loader for? I googled it, but what is missing from the Digital River ISO than the store-bought 7?
>>
>>45344394
What >>45345172 said and I need decent OCability, at least two PCIe slots (An x16 for my GPU and an x1 for my wifi adapter). I don't think I'll ever need SLI/xfire but if there is a similar product that supports it that doesn't cost too much more, I'll probably go for that just in case.
I would also like to have at least 6 usb ports, 3-4 sata, and if possible 6 audio (I currently use my PC as a stereo for a few other devices).

>>45344509
I won't need more than my 8gb for a while, so that's not an issue. Also, unless the 960 will take up 3 slots, I won't be using any GPU larger than your standard sized one.
I might turn it down for now, though, only because if I ever do decide to make an ITX build, the mobo would only cost an extra ~$50-70.
>>
>>45344992
Idk about a 1-10 scale, but hardest parts are:
1. buying compatible parts, but websites can take care of this for you now (pcpartpicker.com being the most obvious - most important things to note are the CPU and motherboard being compatible, and the PSU providing enough power)
2. putting in the CPU+heatsink in.
Everything else is just round peg round hole, square peg square hole. The CPU is really the only thing where you basically get one shot and if you fuck it up you're fucked, but just watch a couple videos on it and you'll do fine. Just remember throughout the process to touch something big and metal often, like the case. Static shocks ruin parts.
>>
>>45345501
digital river is the store bought, it's exactly the same. When it's done installing it will ask for a license key. Simply install Daz loader before the trial period is up and you'll have a licensed copy. Daz loader installation is literally pressing a button. The daz loader dev release on mydigitallife iirc
>>
File: 2014-11-26-16-23.png (2MB, 1779x842px)
2014-11-26-16-23.png
2MB, 1779x842px
On MPC(-BE particularly, but same on HC I think) whenever I have the playlist detached (dragged off), it does not play the next video after one finishes. It is paused at the start of the next and I have to click play. When I toggle off the playlist, it doesn't do this and just continues on with the playlist.

Anyone know how to fix this?
>>
>>45345294
>paying for windows
there're not enough anime girls laughing on the internet
>>
>>45345441
Just curious, did you check out logicalincrements.com before/while building it? It's the current incarnation of the Falcon Guide, which was the guide a frequent /g/ poster would make on building a rig.
>>
If I create a separated /home on Linux, will it fill fast or slow? (how much free space should one have, if possible use your own /home as example)
How does it work in terms of reliability no bugs, errors exc. If I keep for instance /home and install a completely different distro (example Ubuntu => Arch)
>>
>>45345560
>exactly the same

Alright. My question is, if it's exactly the same, why doesn't it come with a license key? Where does Daz Loader stand on legality? Not that I'm worried about it, I just like to know how these things work.

Sorry for the dumb questions.
>>
>>45345604
daz loader is illegal. You don't just get windows for free.
>>
>>45345582
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7VBPYJ

Removed the Windows from it. How does it look now?

>>45345585
Yeah, definitely did. Not sure how much more I should spend on the GPU, though. Looking to primarily game on it.
>>
>>45345501
>>45345560
Just make sure you get the official, actual Daz loader. There are a lot of clones and knockoffs that can rootkit your computer, and you won't be any wiser until a couple years go by and suddenly there are credit card purchases you don't remember making.
>>
>>45345604
Because microsoft sells licenses, not software.
>>
>>45345578
Oh wow I just noticed the cause. This only happens when the playlist is on another monitor.
>>
>>45345441
Sapphire R9 280x is going for about 215 burgerbux on newegg right now. If that's too much, there's the r9 280 which is going for 170$, and is a little bit better than the gtx 760.
>>
>>45345604
>My question is, if it's exactly the same, why doesn't it come with a license key?
Basically, the way Windows verification works is that they'll hand out the actual OS for free to anyone who asks for it. What you actually pay for is a license. If you don't license it, you won't get updates (which I know doesn't sound that bad to some people, but especially when it comes to your OS, that is really, really, really bad). Daz is a piece of software that modifies Windows so that it doesn't actually check the license key.
>>
Anyone knows the range of this WiFi dongle?

>Ralink RT5370 chipset

From
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XVAVAW
>>
>>45345619
>>45345624
>>45345637

Ah, I get it. So basically, Digital River is just giving the download for free, and you need to attain the license somehow.

What's a legitimate place to get daz loader?
>>
File: 1311825232178.png (939KB, 1356x4596px) Image search: [Google]
1311825232178.png
939KB, 1356x4596px
>>45345585
>the Falcon Guide
Hahaha, I haven't heard anyone call it that in a long time.
Did anyone save an older version than this?
>>
>>45345619
Microsoft would have to go after you personally, which isn't likely. Its only profitable for them to go after businesses that use many illegally activated copies where they settle out of court for license fees and contracts.
>>
>>45345669
Forums called My Digital Life. I'll link it for you.
Daz took down the Windows loader links, but he's working on Microsoft toolkit now.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products
>>
>>45345693
Not only that, there's a quote a few years back from Steve Balmer admitting he'd rather people pirate Windows than use Linux. Which makes sense when you think about it from a business perspective, but is still kind of fucked up.
>>
Are there any privacy-conscious and also free email providers?
>>
>>45345623
Better.

I would take out the 760 and go with a midrange R9 that performed better or maybe even dish out some bucks for a 970.
You can save some money by going with a 650W PSU.
A 128GB-256GB SSD costs less than $100 nowadays so you might want to add that too.
>>
>>45345722
I use openmailbox.org, which is incredibly private and encrypted. I think it's hosted in France iirc?

Aparrently protonmail is all the rage as well
>>
>>45345722
check the /g/ wiki faggot
>>
>>45345722
riseup? There's a few, but you usually need to know somebody or have a good reason to get into it.
>>
>>45345709
Thanks, anon. That frees up about $90 I can spend on gifts for the family.
>>
>>45345759
No worries, have fun. Don't forget to check all your sha1 hashes
>>
>>45345750
>>45345747
>>45345742
not him, but how tinfoil is it to make your own mail server and use your own domain (from godaddy or whatever)?
>>
>>45345741
How much would a SSD benefit me? I might put that off until some time after the holidays.
>>
Power supplies: Rosewill, Thermaltake or Seasonic
>>
>>45345719
Yeah, if they went around extorting people for using hactivated copies of Windows it could cause an exodus to Linux which would be terrible for them.

Its in there best interest if everyone is using Windows.
>>
>>45345809
I do. It's fun and educational.
>>
>>45345813
SSDs are generally seen as currently being the best performance per dollar upgrade you can get right now. It is totally optional, and won't affect e.g. framerates in a video game (at least it shouldn't), but will improve things like boot time and load times by orders of magnitude.
>>
Anon from before. I removed Windows from the list, downgraded from a 750W to a 650W PSU, and spent the money I saved on upgrading my GPU. How's it looking? Looking to use it mostly for gaming.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kTpbdC
>>
>>45345828
oops, forgot the question mark
>>
>>45345813
Honestly, I would not recommend SSDs for first-timers, for several reasons, but mainly because a fresh install of Windows on a new HDD boots pretty quickly as it is, and the upgrade to an SSD will seem more substantial once you have become accustomed to your HDDs read/write limits once it starts getting full. Not to mention, they will be cheaper, larger, and faster in the future. If you have the patience, wait.
>>
I've tried to install a new custom rom on my HTC EVO 3D for a while now.

Every time I try to install a rom, I get status error 7.

Ideas?
>>
>>45345809
Secure mailservers are notorious as one of the most difficult things to get right. If you feel up for it, you should definitely try it, but I would not recommend using it as your primary email. Some places will mark any emails you send as spam since you're not whitelisted, any emails that get sent or received while there's a configuration error or downtime are basically gone forever, and if you screw something up once and get hacked (mail servers are one of the few instances where "linux doesn't have a problem with viruses" is the complete and total opposite of true, there WILL be people trying to hack into your server, literally no doubt) your server will send a bunch of spam and get itself blacklisted. So, a good learning experience, and maybe after a year or more of experience you can fully roll your own, but be ready for some mess.
>>
>>45345923
ask xda-developers, not /g/
>>
>>45345964
There's multiple guides to doing it securely, and honestly, it's not that hard.
>>
>>45345883
Anyone have any critique on this?
>>
>>45345911
I went with a 120GB SSD on my first build and never looked back. Fuck boot times, the charm point is how fast programs load. Laptops get even more benefits since it improves battery life.
>>
>>45345883
>>45346025
Optimal as shit, honestly. There isn't much I can add.
I will say that you could save around $50-80 if you went with an FX-8350 build instead. If it's just for gaming, you won't notice a huge difference in performance between the i5 and that. Definitely not a $50+ performance difference, at least.
>>
>>45342809
>>45341442
Here you go!

From one seamonkey user to another :D
>>
>>45341442
>>45342809
>>45346163
fuck you windows clipboard
http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
>>
i have google account with 2 step verification, 2 phone numbers added, one-use codes printed and 2nd mail added.
question is - can you recover access/reset password to google account with just that recovery mail, without having access to phones, old password or codes?
because if you can i'd be better with just deleting this secondary mail to not risk losing 2 accounts if i were to ever lose other one.
>>
File: zhizhang a.jpg (86KB, 397x539px) Image search: [Google]
zhizhang a.jpg
86KB, 397x539px
how do i make webms.

how do i make them without sound so i can post them to 4chins.
>>
>>45343401
>>45343492
>>45343453
There are other differences than version numbers. The main browser window xul file is in a different location and named differently, for one. But use that converter I linked.
>>
>>45346255

(the converter is http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/ )

It usually works.

and for greasemonkey use this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmport/
Thread posts: 237
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.