[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aesthetics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 2

File: 129089784915.jpg (68KB, 600x660px) Image search: [Google]
129089784915.jpg
68KB, 600x660px
Why does /g/ get so upset when attention is paid to aesthetics in hardware or UI?

Would you rather that all your hardware be ugly, clunky, and have a user-hostile UI?

Explain your reasoning in five sentences or less, image is optional.
>>
>>45337949
Aesthetic obsession has turned computers into something so dumbed down that even a nigger can use it and so poorly made that nobody can fix it.
>>
>aesthetics in hardware
Goes with hardware that people don't actually want to look. Also computers are tools, not toys.

>aesthetics in software
Makes a simple software in a turmoil of colors that doesn't help in nothing with it's use, most of the time it makes things harder.

KISS, babe.
>>
>>45338005
>KISS
Don't ever use that term again.
>>
Didn't zyzz die in a thai bath house?

I wonder what a man obsessed with his body was doing in Thailand...
>>
/g/ is a bunch of hipster posers that look for things to hate on.
>>
>>45337949
at least I'm still alive
>>
>>45338027
I have a serious question.

Is KISS supposed to be an ironic maxim?

If the advice is to "keep it simple, stupid", wouldn't it be better just to say "keep it simple"? Adding the extra word just to satisfy some acronym wordplay seems like the epitome of adding stupid extra shit to something for a reason that is ultimately not worth it.
>>
File: 20140601_110652.jpg (331KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20140601_110652.jpg
331KB, 1600x1200px
>>45338052

The kind of people who bandy about acronyms like KISS are too dull to grasp that level of irony.

Also I like it how something being a tool precludes it from being aesthetically attractive. Apparently /g/ has never seen a nice tool before.
>>
>>45338052
KISS comes from Keep It Simple, Stallman, thr cry that many young devs uttered while emacs was being created. If at least he had heard...What could have been.
>>
>>45338052
Usually when you need to inform someone to "keep it simple" they are doing something "stupid". Simply telling them "keep it simple" would not get it through that they are making a dumb move and it wouldn't register for them to change their course of action. Usually when they get called "stupid" they react and combined with those first 3 words usually is enough to steer them in the right direction about whatever they're working on.
>>
>>45338052
CRUX was created as a sort of a joke but Archfags took the concept to heart like the children they are. I wonder what that makes Antergos.
>>
>>45338052
Yes, it was born on the Navy after all. I like the "keep it simple and straightforward" version.
>>
>>45338100
To play devil's advocate (because I think I fully agree with you), I can see part of the other side of the argument, that if you have time and energy to put into aesthetics, then put that energy into refining the function of the tool.

That being said, ergonomics, aesthetics, etc. are all outside of the strictly functional scope of most tools and in the past 10-20 years we've realized that these qualities matter not only in the adoption but also in the ongoing use of tools. To ignore these criteria is to bury your head in the sand.

>>45338114
That's fine, but don't you risk poisoning the pill of your advice by antagonizing the person you're advising? I've seen people's input get thrown out (on 4chan and even "in real life") all too often because the messenger made no effort to be likable. Not that you need to be a salesman, but being abrasive or irascible is no way to evangelize a principle (whether that principle is simplicity or otherwise).
>>
>>45338153
If only they could find another S to put in there then they could make it KISSASS
>Keep It Simple, [s word], And Straightforward, Stupid
>>
>>45338183
anon, please. "Keep it simple, straightforward and small"
>>
>>45338045
Really that's the only thing that matters in the end. No matter what past people did they are dead now, so fuck them.
>>
>>45338164
That's why I don't say that to people, usually I feel like saying it and think that people deserve to have it said but do realize that most people can't handle the truth.
>>
>>45338354
>KISAS
hmm
>>
Because it's usually a troll.
>>
>>45338469
goddamnit.

You get my point though
>>
>>45338005

>Also computers are tools, not toys

tcheh, yeah. Tell that to my dick.
>>
>>45338052

LOOK SON YOU ARE AUTISTIC, STOP TRYING TO FUCK WITH THE SYSTEM!
>>
> so i became dead
>>
>>45338354

Keep it simple. straightforward, concise, refined, non-redundant, non flamboyant; to the point, non repetitive, non frilly
>>
>>45338052
KISS = Keep it stupid simple
>>
False assumption, OP.

We get upset when aesthetics are given priority before functionality.
>>
>>45337949

was zyzz a martyr?
>>
>>45338980

Like Windows 8.
>>
>>45337949
Because of the following options:
a) they are math/extremo/g/-autists defending their mentally ill choices of tools that defy all psychological and ergonomical rules
b) they grew in the 90s where everyone was shilled with bad design
c) because they have somehow bad experiences that are actually linked to bad implementations rather than to design or aesthetics
d) because they are jelly for people who can into design
e) (Apple specific) because they are tired of listening to shills promoting their actually horrible design decisions, like separated window and menu bar or sharp cut out wrist ruining alu cases.
>>
>>45339006
See: >>45338980
>>
>>45337949
Argument from a false premise. Multiple false premises.

Why do you get upset?
>>
>>45339013
That's actually e).
>>
>>45339022

stop being autistic
>>
>>45339040
>implying

Do you like other people putting words in your mouth?
>>
>>45337949
I don't mind design at all, as long as it does not compromise the functionality, efficiency (to an extent) or the user's freedom. When it comes to functionality and freedom there should be no compromise whatsoever. A slight loss in efficiency is inevitable.
>>
>>45338133
but anon, arch came before crux
>>
>>45339076

stop being autistic.
>>
>>45339128
>>implying
>Do you like other people putting words in your mouth?

See, I can do that too.
>>
>>45339143

Stop being autistic.
>>
>>45339163
ebin :>)
>>
>>45339188

;)
>>
>>45339163
>implying
Do you like other people putting mouths in your words?
>>
>>45339006
How is a separate menu bar and window a bad design choice?
>>
>zyzz
>fitness nut
>0% body fat
>son of cardiologist
>died of heart attack
>>
>>45339212
All those roids can't be good for you.
>>
>>45339196

I fucking love it.
>>
>>45339222
zing
>>
>>45339224
ooohh baby a triple
>>
>>45339243

ah yeah don't stop bby.
>>
>>45337949
If it adds to the price then the asthetics are driving up hardware costs for something no one is ever going to see or care about

if it doesn't add to the price, it could just add an asthetic that I don't want in my machine
>>
>>45339198
Because of the law of close related things.
>>
>>45337949
/g/ mainly cares about the hardware specs because that matters the most to people here. The way a computer looks is secondary to how it performs. You wouldn't use a pretty laptop that can't even play youtube videos over an ugly laptop that can, now would you?

/g/ also doesn't really care about UI, many people on /g/ do things in a CLI anyway. And even when they don't, /g/ prefers features over a pretty UI. And most of all, we like feature-rich software that can be customized to our liking.

Not 5 sentences, I know, but what the hey, it's 4chinz and I don't really need to obey your rules.
>>
Keep It Simple, Concise, Elegant, Easy To Maintain, Intuitive, Inexpensive, Marketable, Profitable, Memorable, Scalable, Durable And Flexible, Stupid

KISCEETMIIMPMSDAFS

Pronounced "Ki-skeet-mim-pum-sadface"
>>
>>45339586
I think you mean:
KII
Keep it imaginary
>>
>>45339609

Next time you use the words "imaginary" or "complex" please warn first, it reminds me of the square root of minus one and that triggers me
>>
>>45339626
I guess you don't share the same sense of wonder when you see Euler's Identity that I feel. That's sad.
>>
>>45338912
w-we're all gonna make it brah
>>
>>45337949
>Why does /g/ get so upset when attention is paid to aesthetics in hardware or UI?
They're butthurt that people like what they don't have.

They rationalize it by saying "wasted effort", or "only homos and girls like it".
>>
>>45337949
/g/ can't into graphical design.

They have no option left but to shittalk it.
>>
>>45338980
>We get upset when aesthetics are given priority before functionality.
You're too stupid to understand that aesthetics *is* part of functionality.
>>
>>45340090
What shitty dictionary did you consult for that?
>>
>>45340150
You seem to think aesthetics = ornaments.

It's far from that.

Aesthetics can be an intuitive and coherent design, that makes things easier to find and use, which increases productivity.

Even colours, that might seem ornamental, can be used to increase (colour) contrast and guide the eye to menus, toolbars, etc. .
Same for opacity, even animations.
>>
>>45340305
Not that guy, isn't it actually the other way around and aesthetics are included in design?
>>
>>45340324
They're partially determined by functionality and any sane engineer/designer will take aesthetics into account as well.
>>
>>45339040
>>45339128
>>45339163
>posting the same thing three times in a row
>not autistic
pick one
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.