[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to actually fix hard driver cylinders or threads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: platter.gif (8KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
platter.gif
8KB, 640x480px
Is there a way to actually fix hard driver cylinders or threads or whatever using testdisk after a premature usb ejection? I have tried the other options that testdisk offers but nothing seems to be working. I have tried researching information about how to learn how to do stuff like that but haven't found anything useful. I know that sometimes you can post a log file and some expert can tell you what's up. How do I become an expert? I have tried recovery, but my real problem is that I can't recover docx or powerpoint files. I'll learn what I can and try anything except pay a few hundred dollars, or is paying actually worth it?
>>
>>45318459
>USB drive

This better not be a flash drive OP.
>>
yer screwed bro
>>
>>45318491
I guess it's worse, and old PATA drive I threw into an external case for my gf. I guess she didn't know how to properly eject it and ended up losing some important files.
>>
>>45318571
Oh. Are the partitions still visible? If not, rewrite the partition table to it.

If it is just files: run photorec or something
>>
>>45318584
>>45318459
> I have tried the other options that testdisk offers but nothing seems to be working
> I have tried recovery, but my real problem is that I can't recover docx or powerpoint files.
Why can't I get docx or ppt files with photorec?!?! It says the program supports it but non are found.
>>
>>45318703
Maybe they're gone. That's why you've got backups.
>>
>>45318727
How can they be gone and other files still be there? Every single docx gone but plenty of old doc files? doesn't really make sense
>>
>>45318821
mmhmmm
>>
How do I learn how to fix cylinders?
>>
>>45318836
You don't.
You get a program to do it for you.
>>
>>45318842
uhh.. ok. such as?
What are experts doing when then examine your log file?
Why does testdisk enable you to fix cylinders?
>>
>>45318881
What is your fucking obsession with cylinders?
>>
>>45318881
Just so you know CHS isn't relevant to any modern hard drive. The platters aren't split up like that anymore. There is a conversion between CHS addressing and LBA, but that's not really relevant here.
>>
>>45318881
Have you tried recoding the mainframe?
>>
>>45318888
My obsession is with recovering files. I have tried everything else I can with testdisk and that seems to be the only option left on the menu. Isn't that how you fix hard drives when nothing else works?
>>45318990
I don't care about modern hard drives. I am trying to recover information from a PATA drive. That is all and exactly what I am interested in.
>>45319024
I am not sure what this is or how it would help. I have never heard any mention such a thing in my search for information.
>>
>>45319079
Maybe try some other free data recovery products? Or commercial ones that have a trial? Have you tried google yet?
>>
>>45319079
boot linux live usb
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

cylinders will be repair
>>
WTF! I asked about learning how to repair cylinders on a PATA drive using testdisk. Why can I not find any information anywhere and why won't anyone give me a straight answer about it?!?! Is this some sort of secret knowledge?
>>
>>45319168
the secret is [spoiler]/g/ is not your tech support[/spoiler]
>>
>>45319147
will repairing cylinders actually help me repair the drive and recover files?
>>
>>45319168
You mean: The problem is that the pyramid cylindrical error. Keystone is not independent octahedral pyramid recommended, but not the double helix dodecahedron David Stern Uubo I need all of your cylinders again.
The problem is that in the Soviet Union pyraminds wrong cylinder. pyraminds not recommend them octahedral trapezoid, so instead dodecahedroning twice Eden, you need yahayow David Stern Uubo you Hufann cylinder ad.
>>
>>45319204
I understand this. I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction so I could figure out stuff on my own. I have done mucho searching for info myself and have not really found anything of value.
>>
>>45319243
Probably.
>>
What happens when an IDE drive fails because of premature usb ejection? Doesn't the cylinders order messed up or something? Isn't that the problem?
>>
>>45319306
Please stop talking. You are triggering my autism.
>>
>>45319264
you're stamping your feet like a child because no one wants to babystep you through data recovery
>>
>>45319147
Can you explain why this will cylinder repair? Won't this just write endless zeros to the drive? Or are you just shitrolling?
>>
ITT: OP remembers one word he heard the computer geek on NCIS say in relation to disk drives, and repeats it over and over

>how do i cylinder my cylinder? do I cylinder the cylinders between the cylinder and the cylinder? premature USB ejaculation cylinder
>>
>>45319320
don't babystep me. give me the name of a textbook I can read. I ain't skerd of reading.
>>
>>45319349
>Or are you just shitrolling?
Obviously.
Use Testrec to rewrite the partitions, then run photorec again. It should pick up more. No guarantees however.
>>
>>45319372
s/Testrec/Testdisk/g
>>
>>45319351
more like geometry is the one menu option on testdisk I know nothing about. How can I become more advanced user?
>>
>>45319452
Read and experiment
>>
>>45319452
Install system32
Wait
>>
>>45319147
don't...
>>
>>45319481
>not using systmed
>>
>>45319464
read what? the testdisk documentation is not sufficient. I have searched and couldn't find anything else that is worthwhile.
>>
>>45318459
Did you check if the rotational velocidensity is still high enough? Old drives do wear down, after all...
>>
>>45319631
Really? Is the why it stopped working when it got ejected improperly?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.