[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a concrete answer as to if I would see a difference in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: DVI-2[1].jpg (32KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
DVI-2[1].jpg
32KB, 660x440px
I need a concrete answer as to if I would see a difference in image quality on a 1600x900 60fps LCD 20 inch monitor if I switched that monitor from VGA input to DVI input?

I have searched everywhere and it all seems to be bias, even from seemingly reliable sources; VGA is old, therefore it is bad. Some people see the difference, some don't. I have been using VGA and honestly think it looks crisp and detailed, no artifacts, blurryness, or distortion that people seem to bring up with VGA. Some others have mentioned motion blur and shadowing.

So I turn to you /g/, will I see a difference? My monitor didn't come with a DVI cable so I'd have to buy one separately.
>>
>>45317365
jesus fucking christ just plug it in and look for a difference god damn you are useless OP
>>
On monitors I've used, the difference depends on if the panel is any good.
On a shit monitor you probably won't notice, but a decent one you likely will, I definitely have.
It might be less of an issue on low resolutions but anything 1080+ I would always go digital.
>>
>>45317384
Do you read at all? I do not have a DVI cable yet and am wondering (eg. DO NOT HAVE A FUCKING DVI CABLE TO TEST WITH) if I would see a difference.

I'm a "if it works it works" kinda guy, and all this hate on VGA just seems to apply to higher resolution and people with confirmation bias because VGA is old now.

Get the fuck out of my thread, you're the useless one.
>>
>>45317449
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176254

Does this answer your question? As said before, it's 1600x900 resolution.
>>
if you're using a high quality, reasonably short (say <5m) VGA cable, then you'd be unlikely to notice a difference

a low quality DVI cable beats a low quality VGA cable though, simply because the image is digital (if you get a picture, it's perfect. vga varies)
>>
And as for usage; heavy gaming, HD videos, browing, photoshop, video editing, etc etc
>>
>>45317489
Really don't know anything about that monitor, so I really can't say whether it will make a difference.
As you said, if it works it works, and it sounds like it's working for you. But a DVI cable is what, less than $5? might as well try it, but it's hardly a pressing matter if you don't think there's anything wrong with VGA.
>>
>>45317507
mainly I've heard reports of image being sharper, text being clearer and more crisp, as well as higher resolution support.

This wouldn't be a problem if everyone had this experience, but it seems to vary from person to person so I'm very confused.
>>
>>45317528
$5 is cheap, you're right, but I've been scammed before buying cheap cables and wasn't sure if that was the price range, I was thinking more like $20 just to be safe. Do you think I'd have issues with a low quality DVI cable, or is every cable the same? (Doesn't apply to the different versions of DVI such as DVI-I, DVI-D, etc)
>>
>>45317365
>I need a concrete answer as to if I would see a difference in image quality
the problem is that you want an objective answer for something that is subjective

IS there a difference? yes
will YOU notice the difference? only you could say

>>45317538
the only way to know if YOU can tell using YOUR monitor and cable is to get a dvi cable and try it

either way the difference should be minimal, if you have any half-decent VGA cable
>>
>>45317538
ive only really noticed differences on high resolutions on large high resolution monitors.

contrast is really big the first time you see it.
>>
>>45317564
Any DVI will do. It's a digital cable, so it'll be fine. Like how a $3 HDMI cable is as good as a $400 one. For that monitor just get whatever digital DVI cable they have for cheapest.
Worry about the -X suffixes when using high end or high resolution monitors (>fullHD)
>>45317538
What I've noticed most on monitors I've compared VGA and DVI on are, sharper lines (text especially) and less washed out colours. And it was immediately noticeable.
>>
Do you notice background noise on dark areas, like waves shifting in a direction? Do dark points leave any shadow on the surrounding white areas? Is text blurred or smeared, especially horizontally?

If so, DVI will solve those problems.
>>
>>45317365
OK, real-life-newfag.
VGA standard has no problem with your resolution.
But the quality of the ADC in the VGA monitors today gets shit on since they know most HDMI and don't want to spend more than needed on a dead standard.

If you had a high-end CRT you'd understand but it seems you don't so that's why I'm telling you all this.

Take a look at this sad thing:
http://cdn.shopclues.com/images/detailed/237/vgacable_1356713451.jpg

Then look at this:
http://www.solocompu.com.ar/img/cables/vista-del-cable-y-conectores-vga-de-2-metros.jpg

Notice any difference
>>
>>45317471
It's 2014. A DVI from monoprice costs $4.31. Spend the fiver, plug it in, see for your fucking self and maybe, just maybe, learn something for once in your sad, pathetic, worthless life. Faggot.
>>
Which is better, DVI or HDMI?
>>
>>45317664
No.
>>
I'm not saying there is no difference or that you won't notice, but I switched from VGA to DVI on my 1920x1080 display. I noticed no difference whatsoever.
>>
>>45317722
This has to be the most retarded reply I've seen in almost a week.
>>
>>45317758
The cables are longer? What am I supposed to see here?
>>
>>45317693
Hell dude, he could go to fucking goodwill and pick up a dozen of them for a buck O_o
>>
>>45317719
Depends on the version of each, but essentially at 1920x1080 or less they are exactly the same.
>>
Does the length of DVI cable matter in terms of quality?
>>
>>45317780
Except HDMI carries audio too, which is handy for a home theatre setup, but if you use it for inbuilt monitor speakers then you'd have an easier time just killing yourself.
>>
>>45317663
Easiest found if you use fill tool in MSPaint and go fullscreen.
>>45317771
One has a tiny girth, the other one is BBC.
>>
>>45317564
>I was thinking more like $20 just to be safe.
So you're one of the fuckin retards that think gold contacts make a difference, go then and get scammed you dork, /g/ can't help you.
>>
>>45317825
No, but when you buy cheap cables and get screwed, you are hesitant to buy cheap cables again, even if it makes no difference because experience shapes your reality. I said nothing about gold contacts.
>>
>>45317365
>Doesnt have 5fucktillion DVI cables in a box somewhere
>>
>>45317774
I have a few I took from my employer when they came with new monitors. They already have a bin overflowing with DVI cables.
>>
File: 1361745987740.jpg (76KB, 297x279px) Image search: [Google]
1361745987740.jpg
76KB, 297x279px
>>45318051
>bring a DVI cable from home to work to connect my 2nd monitor instead of using the shitty fuzzy VGA cable they gave me
>all their machines have DVI ports with less pins than my standard DVI cable
>mfw have to use shitty fuzzy 60hz VGA connection on my 2nd monitor
>>
File: DVIQA.jpg (74KB, 643x374px) Image search: [Google]
DVIQA.jpg
74KB, 643x374px
>>45318112
>>
>>45317797
>which is handy for a home theatre setup
no it isnt
>>
>>45318112
>stealing work equipment
>doesn't know shit about what it is
you sound like a..
>>
File: a.png (29KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
29KB, 640x400px
>>45318142
what? yes it is
>>
>>45318182
>stealing work equipment
you can't read
>>
File: mug hdmi.png (37KB, 1522x760px) Image search: [Google]
mug hdmi.png
37KB, 1522x760px
>>45318194
MSPaint is fun.
>>
>>45318429
why not hdmi from the receiver to monitor?
>>
>>45318445
Because HDMI 1.3 doesn't do that resolution on my monitor.
>>
>>45318463
fair enough
>>
>>45318475
I would go DP if my monitor didn't have it's USB support because when I turn off the monitor it makes Windows think I have 800*600 and fucks up icons.
>>
>>45318137
Whoever wrote that is a retard, pretty sure single link dvi-i can do 1920x1080. it just has the extra pins for the conversion to analog if needed. >>45317365

>2014
>STILL using VGA..
>time to kill yourself.
>>
>>45318522
Single Link DVI-I and -D both support 1920*1200@60Hz+
>>
>>45318542
see, told you, no clue why it says 1600x1200 for max res. Apparently DVI and VGA will be phased out in the next few years or so.
>>
>>45318567
1600*1200 is a typical No screen/noGPU driver detected setting in Win7 though.
I used to go 1600*1200 before I had my drivers installed, and since my monitor supports correct ratio settings it doesn't stretch the image.
>>
>>45318567
they're already phased out
>>
>>45318137

This is why I would never use DVI.
What kind of stupid ass format has this many variants?

Its fucking retarded.
>>
>>45318592
GTX 970 still has DVI ports brah. I mean when they're no longer on GPU's. Good thing DVI, DP and HDMI can be converted.
>>
>>45318522
i'm using VGA
>>
If it's a good quality, short VGA cable, on a good video card, without using any adapters, you'll probably notice no difference.

Otherwise, DVI will look better, especially on text
>>
I saw a difference running VGA compared to DVI. The image isn't as clear and moves a tiny bit. If you have a premium (thick, with ferrite cores) VGA cable and it's short, the difference probably won't be noticeable. If you have a shitty VGA cable, you should definitely replace it with DVI.
>>
>>45317365
VGA is analog.
DVI is digital.
VGA has ghosting, because it's analog.
VGA has thick cables, because it's analog.
DVI doesn't have ghosting, because it's digital.
DVI either works or doesn't, because it's digital.
DVI supports high quality extension cable solutions, because it's digital.
Such as fiber optic cable extensions like these:
http://www.ophit.com/products/product_view.asp?boardid=1&num=7&ptitle=DVI fiber optic 4ch : DDL

Quantum3D uses these DVI extenders for aviation simulators that cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.