[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Capture Cards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: elgato-game-capture-image.jpg (43KB, 655x354px) Image search: [Google]
elgato-game-capture-image.jpg
43KB, 655x354px
Hey /g/,

Was originally planning to build a new gaming rig in January, but with changes coming to our pay dates due to an extra week in the 13th period, my big money month will be April. I was intending to finish my gaming rig first, then build a streaming PC second. However, now it seems more likely I'll build the streaming PC first.

I've already got most of the parts picked out, but I will submit I have literally zero clue about capture cards. Which one's the best? Is there glaring issues between PCI cards and external capture cards? 1080p at 60 FPS would be appreciated if I start doing recorded footage. Otherwise 720p and 60 FPS would be plenty for streaming.
>>
Why would you use a capture card and not fraps+Obs?
>>
>>45317302
Well a capture card would reduce the CPU load when encoding x264 with OBS while streaming (primary reason for the second PC build), which in turn let's me turn the CPU preset down lower for a better quality stream that also saves me a few hundred kbs.
>>
>>45317328
You really don't need it. You won't listen to me anyways.
>>
>>45317375
That's quite an assumption.

How would you hook up a second computer to the first to record or stream without a capture card?
>>
>>45317399
I'm wouldn't need a second computer to record.
>>
>>45317399
I'm would just record with the same pc.
>>
>>45317431
>>45317415
Recording with the same PC does have a bit of an FPS hit, about 10-15 frames.

Streaming however the CPU load is much higher. Playing and streaming at the same time on more modern titles is quite taxing to it.
>>
>>45317399
If you put the money from the second computer into the first you wouldn't need a capture card to record and stream at the same time. The few extra kb's as you put it are none existent as both computers would be going through the same connection and are therefore sharing bandwidth.
>>
>>45317446
I don't think so. I stream with a 970 and a 5820k. Any streaming I've done has never affected my gps to the point it bothered me
>>
>>45317486
I don't think you quite understand OBS.

When you use a slower CPU preset on OBS, you can improve your visual quality at the cost of more CPU usage. This translates to better quality for viewers that doesn't force them to require more and more from their own connection because your bitrate stays the same. Most high quality games even on solid CPUs like i7 4790ks while streaming has a fair hit on slower presets.
>>
tl;dr

get haswell cpu and gpu that supports nvidia shadowplay
that's like a capture card but it's in the gpu itself

unless you are in it full time, this will take care of all of your needs
does video game capture, screen capture, and streaming
>>
>>45317605
>Shadowplay
Yeah, it does it all for sure. At the cost of looking like complete shit compared to x264.
>>
>>45317581
Yeah I guess people shouldn't use 4790k's since they're so shit.
>>
>>45317656
Well thanks for the bumps, even if the posts were retarded.
>>
>>45317765
You know what faggot? No. If a shitty amd rig is capable of streaming at amazing quality while recording an Intel based rig should have no problem. Capture cards are just another place for consumers to waste money.
>>
>>45318264
Any PC is capable of streaming a retardedly high quality stream with a shit ton of bitrate.

It's hilarious how clearly uneducated you are on this topic, yet continue to keep posting. Even more so with the AMD shilling.
>>
this thread is so bad
>>
>>45318504
It's 4chan going into 2015. I'm surprised there isn't more shitposting.
>>
Does anyone actually have any decent recommendations for a capture card?

Not OP here and I want one for streaming live TV through OBS
>>
I don't understand why the fuck people want to watch other people play videogames.
>>
>>45318629
1. because I want to watch people play games before I buy them
2. because some people have very entertaining personalities
3. because you can learn from watching pro players, mainly in competitive stuff like CSGO
>>
>>45317254

why don't you just put the money from the streaming PC and buy better parts overall? Do a 5930k or 5960X build and you can encode at faster just fine. Don't underestimate the tremendous hassle that is using two PCs for streaming. Gettings everything to work and sync up correctly isn't worth the POSSIBLE performance gain. I would only do that if you wanted to stream games and record locally at high bitrate at the same time.
>>
ARE YOU GONNA BE THE NEXT PEWDS? xD

seriously though, you dont need that overpriced piece of shit at all, just configure your pc properly
>>
>>45318812
Don't ever try to comprehend the mind of a degenerate gaymur.
>>
>>45318856
You've already tried and failed pitifully, move on.

>>45318845
Because the value of jumping to Haswell E is pretty much the rate to build a second streaming PC, except the streaming PC still yields more benefit simply because the CPU is completely free to encode while the other is free to run the games.

Again, this is just about some bloody capture cards.
>>
>>45318812
>1. because I want to watch people play games before I buy them
thought there's youtube for that
>2. because some people have very entertaining personalities
try getting some friends
>3. because you can learn from watching pro players, mainly in competitive stuff like CSGO
the only legitimate reason, although i personally detest "professional gaming"
>>
>>45318812
>3. because you can learn from watching pro players, mainly in competitive stuff like CSGO

Dont think you will turn pro over night.My bother has over 8K hours on dota2 and stable +5K MMR,but he cant play for money because of politics and shit community.Do yourself a favor dont buy a computer,use the money to get some friends and party,go on a trip whit your girl,spend it on something else.
>>
I used a 1366 i7 950, black magic intensity pro, gtx 670. Streams were good enuff, system was good enuff. OBS ftw too.

If u build another system to stream youre a tard anon. If you dont have good upload speeds just forget it now.
>>
>>45319108
>Things are simply good enough
>Just max your upload speed even though that cuts your viewers unless you're partnered

If I wanted this much terrible advice I'd go to /v/.
>>
>>45319142
Fuck it youll learn. Have fun lol.
>>
>>45319179
The only thing I've learned is that you're really dedicated to shitposting.
>>
>>45317446
>>45317550
>>45317431
All of you are dumb.
The reason you use a capture card is yes, because you sometimes want to offload encoding to hardware dedicated to the task, or if you're trying to record a video stream from a non-PC device (camera or console).
Every other time, it's because your FPS drops because you're dumb and you're trying to record your stream to the same hard drive that your OS or video game is on, and don't realize that reading and writing to disk at the same time is not something intelligent people do
>>
>>45319203
Stop being a cunt. Go donate and subscribe to a streamer. Get support from them. Or waste a few grand on shit you dont need, bow to amazon unless you arent a fag and use hitbox and maybe you might get 50 viewers.
>>
>>45319233
>A few grand

A streaming PC would cost next to nothing, you do realize? The two most expensive parts would be the CPU and potentially capture card depending on the level of quality you wanted.

That's especially funny coming from the guy telling me to instead spend 500 just to go from an i7 4970k to a 5960x.
>>
>>45318919
>youtube for that
so um, how do you suppose anybody posts gameplay on youtube if they don't capture it
>>
File: 1415231104074.jpg (19KB, 394x329px) Image search: [Google]
1415231104074.jpg
19KB, 394x329px
>recording yourself playing video games
>>
I'm also interested in a good answer to this question... I'd like to line up a good capture card that can do 1080p 60fps for anything.
I'd like to build a media center PC I can plug in my HDMI game consoles and stuff into, optionally record, but also just pass through to the TV.

I'm a programmer, and I'd like to set up a Picture In Picture mode for TV stuff while gaming, or popup notifications if I get emails/texts/etc or something... like a DVR for everything like TV and gaming and all kinds of stuff... generic use.

But I've had problems finding a capture card for HDMI that can do up to 60fps 1080p suitably...
>>
>>45319272
If youre not a retard go with the black magic intensity pro pcie version

If you are a tard go with something like avermedia lol
>>
>>45319297
Samefag here forgot
OBS and Amerectv for streaming
>>
>>45319297
>black magic intensity pro pcie
This is exactly what I've been looking for... I don't know how I've totally missed it in the past!

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out for any kind of deals/sales on this. I've been wanting to add this functionality to my media PC setup for a while.
>>
>>45319329
Just a tip, it can be fussy on what slot you use. Most nubs fail at setting them up because of that. Once you get them set up they are nice. As. Far as a sale good luck anon. The fuckers never drop.
>>
>>45319329
Be careful. The BlackMagic Intensity Pro doesn't support 1080p@60.
It only supports 1080p@30, and 1080i@60.
1080i@60 stands for interlaced, which means frames are doubled for TV.
http://www.amazon.com/capture-shows-cable-output-Quality/forum/Fx2R557L81SFG9C/Tx2VYP92ZC5JVQB/1/ref=cm_cd_naredir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B001CN9GEA&cdItems=25&store=generic

I hear the Elgato Game Capture HD supports 1080p@60.
>>
>>45319374
Ah damn, I was just reading the specs and I saw this. It looked so good until I noticed that.

I wonder why it's so hard to find an HDMI capture card that can do this...

My dream of a programmable overlay system on my media system might not be a reality for a while.

I bet I can convert it somehow to component or analog inputs, and get that in to my media PC... but I'd really like to be able to wrap up this media PC and "wife-proof" it to the point where I can just tell my roomies or whatever that they can plug HDMI or whatever shit in to it and get a sophisticated media overlay system.
>>
File: maeklove.jpg (17KB, 248x216px) Image search: [Google]
maeklove.jpg
17KB, 248x216px
>Isn't the difference in performance from using Shadowplay like 5fps
>Wouldn't using a second computer be a pain in the ass because you would literally have to have two computers on and running?
>Isn't streaming performance largely due to internet speed, not computer hardware

Wut
>>
>>45319397
http://micomsoft.co.jp/xcapture-1.htm
It's really fucking expensive but it does what you want.
It can do 1080p@60, and was made specially for also handling retro game consoles.
>>
>>45319415
http://www.sixfortyfive.com/streaming/xcapture1.html
the review for it
>>
>>45319415
Shit that's pricey.
I guess over time they'll get cheaper.

I'm just kind of confused as to why this kind of thing is considered so "specialty" or expensive...

Clearly, integrated devices are capable of doing this relatively inexpensively for all kinds of reasons. The XB1 does it with TV, clearly all devices like TVs or Monitors are capable of receiving HDMI and decoding it for display, and obviously it doesn't cost them hundreds of dollars to do it.

I'm assuming they're not rolling their own system for doing this and there's a common manufacturer that produces chips for this or something... you'd think someone would have made an affordable capture card utilizing the same technology/equipment.
>>
>>45319398
Shadowplay is resource light, but it also looks much worse for streaming. Especially in motion heavy games.

A second PC isn't that difficult to set up. Since a streaming PC doesn't require anything beyond an integrated GPU, they can be micro atx or mini itx.

Streaming performance can be affected in terms of quality by two things, bitrate and the cpu preset. Bitrate gives you the best bang for your buck, but the problem is some people might not have access to higher upload speeds, and if you aren't twitch partnered you might end up pushing viewers away because they'll get lag on their end due to your higher bitrate. That's why a second streaming PC can be really great. It can essentially get you 300 or more bitrate without compromising the viewer's internet. All it costs is a dedicated CPU and a capture card.
>>
>>45319448
It probably has something to do with H.264 patent royalties and making microcontrollers and FPGA chips purpose built for encoding a video stream in real time.
They gain real-time encoding capabilities while losing the ability to encode at arbitrary framerates and resolutions.
>>
If you're casually recording shit. AMD and nvidia has in house gpu recording hardware.
>>
>>45319479
I sort of assumed that it's related to royalties or patents or something bullshit like that. Seems like HDMI is commonly involved in that kind of crap.
>>
>>45319398
>Isn't the difference in performance from using Shadowplay like 5fps
yes, but the quality isn't as good as CPU x264 at most bitrates
>Wouldn't using a second computer be a pain in the ass because you would literally have to have two computers on and running?
yes. OP, you also need an audio mixer to combine and balance your audio. It's a massive pain in the ass and not worth it at all
>Isn't streaming performance largely due to internet speed, not computer hardware
You can select better x264 encoding levels, which provide better quality at a given bitrate but take more CPU power. You can't really go over 3500kpbs, partiallly because twitch won't let you unless you're partnered and partially because a lot of people have shit internet and won't be able to watch.

>>45318845
take this guy's advice and put all your budget in one rig
>>
>>45319506
>It's a massive pain in the ass and not worth it at all

this. I can think of several major streamers that have ditched dual PC setups and gone to 5960X rigs
>>
>>45319251
you dont need a capture card for that
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.