[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the expected performance boost you'd get from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: eGPU.jpg (123KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
eGPU.jpg
123KB, 1024x768px
What's the expected performance boost you'd get from attaching an external GPU to a laptop via USB?
>>
Less than from an actual desktop, but your idiocy gets a 10X multiplier.
>>
Well, for starters, the contraption that makes this whole thing work is a HUGE bottleneck. You'd have to get a mid-high end card to really see much of a performance gain.
>>
this is just too much to comprehend.
>usb
>actual board to launch PSU instead of shorting green and black
>4pin molex to gpu molex adaptor cable
>probably daisy chained
>shitty HP laptop
>usb
>>
I've seen Express card slot & Thunderbolt used to get things like Vidock, not USB that would be a terrible idea.
>>
>>45307023
>>45307014
This

>>45306991
WHY would you attach a GPU via usb to a laptop? To see even a moderate boost in performance for gayman on a laptop would require some high end card, but you might as well get the whole entire package a.k.a build your own desktop if were to do that.

This eliminates all portability since you'll be dragging around 20 extra pounds that can easily be damaged.
>>
>>45306991
>Looks like USB 2.0
Oh boy
>>
>>45306991
You can't do it by usb, it needs to be expresscard or thunderbolt
>>
>>45307049
>This eliminates all portability since you'll be dragging around 20 extra pounds that can easily be damaged.

Idea is you'd use it as a desktop replacement at home, and just plug off the GPU and carry the laptop with you elsewhere.

Also, OP, its been done and there's a company that sells you these devices.

http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

Also they use the Expresscard slot of your laptop for higher bandwith.
>>
its like asking how much pleasure would you get if you had a stick up your ass while you had sex
>>
>>45307087
>>45307049
>>45307029
It's not USB, it's PCIe 2 1x over Expresscard, using adapters and a hdmi cable
>>
>>45307299
even worse
>>
>>45307313
Idiot.
>>
File: girls-laughing.jpg (55KB, 553x496px) Image search: [Google]
girls-laughing.jpg
55KB, 553x496px
>What's the expected performance boost you'd get from attaching an external GPU to a laptop via USB?

holy moly nigga im laughing like shit here

How far idiots go to not buy a simple desktop
>>
I love the idea but the implementation is shit so far.

You would think thunderbolt would be the perfect interface for this but oh no. That does not exist.

Thanks intel.
>>
>>45307878
there is no laptop interface that can push 150+ watts for a low end graphics card because the laptop itself doesn't pull 150+ watts.

this thread is cancer.
>>
The problem is getting a loop-back to the internal monitor on the laptop, although I think I've read something about diy thunderbolt external Nvidia GPUs that can output to the laptops internal display, although that eats into bandwidth and hurts performance vs. an external display.
>>
The core problem with this is that it doesn't really save you any money. The only laptop part you're really using is the motherboard and CPU, but those aren't expensive and don't impact game performance much. You still need an expensive GPU and power supply and now you also need some sort of PCI interface. Better to just build a cheap gaming desktop.
>>
>>45307984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDwuAi4NwY

Seen a few like this, apparently its Intel HD graphics that make it possible, never read that deep in to it though.
>>
>>45307984
If you're looking ahead, yeah. But if you already have a laptop, then why not?
Why shell out for a monitor, case, etc, when you can just buy a PSU, a GPU and some device that ties it all together
>>
>>45307928

Are you fucking retarded?

Look at the OPs picture. The PSU is right there.

>Y-you said t-thunderbolt was the perfect interface

It is. Interface. Not power supply. PCIe is the interface for desktops too. That does not mean it provides any more than a fraction of the power required for a modern GPU.

Right now the half-baked solutions are pretty horrific to get working but the concept is nice.

You have your regular laptop that you were already going to use. Work, travel, school. Whatever.

When you take it back home you can hook it up to a dock. Now you can play games with any half-decent mobile CPU since 90% of games are GPU limited.
>>
>>45308000
It'd be interesting to know what this all cost and how it performs. I highly doubt it's cost/performance competitive with simply buying/building a cheap dedicated gaming desktop, aside from not being able to use the Macbooks display (which is gorgeous but overkill resolution for games)
>>
>>45308079
In britland it would cost me about £300+ after P&P + Import taxes. Hardly a gaming with but still not worth.
>>
>>45307984

I don't think it's being pitched that way.

If you already have/need a laptop this is certainly cheaper than buying a whole desktop on top. Assuming it worked perfectly.
>>
>>45308020
Someone'd have to price it out. But I suspect even with TB 2.0 it will be really bandwidth starved. You'll be paying a lot of money to put this together; likely a lot more than you could just buy a Ps4 for and get far better performance. Plus you can't use the GPU under OSX afaik, and the vast majority of people this external GPU setup would appeal to use macs.
>>
>>45306991
From 4-15 GB/s down to approx. 60MB/s

I'd say you're better off playing on Integrated Graphics
>>
>>45308101
In 2014 unless you have some really compelling reason you have to game on PC you'll get far more bang-for-buck with a PS4.
>>
>>45308128
When you can play CS:GO, Dota 2 & SC2 on PS4 then let me know.
>>
>>45308128
>some really compelling reason
I dunno, games?
>PS4
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahah is this nigger serious?
>>
>>45308000
>placing a laptop on the bed
>>
>>45308179
Some people just want to see their motherboards burn
>>
>>45306991
The latency, oh dear god the fucking latency.
>>
>>45308220
What's with it? It will be the fucking same man, do you even technology?
>>
>>45308128
You can build a PC with similar or better performance for the full price of a PS4. That's already been established several times for Intel, Nvidia, and AMD builds. Consoles have a CPU architecture originally intended for netbooks, which is terrible, and mid-range GPUs. It's not hard.

>bang for buck
PC games are not only cheaper and easily copied, but you also can modify. Games with mod support have WAY more hours of gameplay than any console game would ever have. Also, you can emulate; can you run PS1 and PS2 classics on your PS4? Nope.

Not to mention you can also upgrade the PC itself and have a decent system for years to come.

>>45308137
That's a good point, but you have shit taste, m9.
>>
>>45308248
Citation needed. PC for whatever price getting same performance at equivalent settings.

Right now the console parts are pretty current, and considering there's a lot less abstraction going on console-side they generally get a lot more performance out of the same parts.
>>
>>45308231
>over USB
>it will be the same
>even bottlenecking it to x1 PCI-e
>making it travel that far of a difference
>doesn't understand the reason why PCI-e traces on motherboards are as close as they are
I think it's proven the only ignorant fag around here is you.
>>
>>45307297
a lot?
>>
>>45308286
Seriously?
https://startpage.com/do/metasearch.pl?query=pc%20on%20console%20budget

>pretty current
They were obsolete on release and are obsolete now.
>less abstraction
That's actually hard to prove due to how developers tend to handle cross-platform support and the fact that consoles run a completely restricted OS which doesn't allow any user to run anything other than whatever is developed for it (games) so benchmarks and monitoring software are out of the question.
>>
File: 4-chan-laptop-revolution-maxwell.jpg (287KB, 1916x584px) Image search: [Google]
4-chan-laptop-revolution-maxwell.jpg
287KB, 1916x584px
>external gpu

just kill yerself m8
>>
>>45308317
You will get low fps, yes, but there will be no lag.
I tried a external video output via usb and it was smooth as fuck with no lag... doing power point slideshows.
>>
>>45308437
>Latency doesn't matter
You're actually retarded
>>
>>45308461
You mean bandwidth right?
Also stop projecting dude.
>>
>>45307043
The Viao Z used dual usb 3. Was pretty good.
>>
>>45306991
Wouldn't it be better to just get a used PS3/Xbox 360 for under $150 than do all this crap? Why even use such a high end GPU if you're just going to be playing games in 720p?

But I understand more if he was doing this for fun because he's a modder.
>>
>>45308248
When you're talking about consoles vs PC in terms of how much performance you're getting, you've got to take into account the API used to develop whatever game you're running. For example, DX11 uses a lot of abstractions to allow any hardware combination to run a game. This introduces a lot of overhead that you generally don't see on a console game, provided it's not a port. A console has the benefit of being identical to every other unit. This means that when you design a game, you can take into account the specific hardware in that console and gain quite a lot of performance that would be ignored if you were developing for PC.

Remember that ATI graphics cards were capable of tessellation in 2001, but it was never used because Nvidia cards couldn't do it and developers didn't want to shut themselves out of that market. This is just one example of how developing for a uniform set of hardware can be beneficial.
>>
>>45308436
>eGPU is the same as a dGPU
ebin :DDDD
>>
I`m interested in getting an eGpu for my T420. I already use it as a desktop replacement with the mini dock, keyboard and hd display.

And when I need it as a laptop I just take it out of the dock and BAM super mobile.

I don`t get why y`all niggers hate on that.
>>
>>45306991
USB is slow as fuck, it wouldn't work.
>>
>>45308485
It used Thunderbolt but over a modified USB port.
>>
>>45308436
>880M one of the few 800M series with Kepler architecture
>release 980M Maxwell-based GPU a couple months later

Top jew
>>
>>45308437
Latency and lag are not the same thing. How do you not know that?
>>
>>45308461
You have no idea what you're talking about if you think that the speed at which electricity moves through a circuit would have a perceptible effect on latency over distances of a few feet. What you're thinking about is bandwidth, with PCIe having ~31GB/s transfer speeds and USB3 having ~600MB/s.

Now kindly fuck off, plebe.
>>
>>45308482
If I meant bandwidth, I would have said bandwidth.

The bandwidth is shit, but eGPU over USB3.0 or eSATA is generally more powerful than iGPUs. Trouble is. The latency. No point having nice frames, if they're a second or two late.
>>
>>45308079
I bet you could buy a Dell Ultrasharp, which would be a better display in every way, and still be more cost effective than a laptop+external GPU rig.

This kind of thing falls under the category of "tinkering and spending more money than I need to because I'm bored". There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you realize that that's what you're doing.
>>
>>45308572
But they dont have latency anon, Why would they have latency of up to 2000ms?
>>
Will a gtx 780ti get bottlenecked hard as an eGPU?

My friend's willing to sell me one used for cheap, but I'm still saving for the rest of my desktop. Thus I'll have to make do with juicing up a laptop with an eGPU until I can build my rig
>>
>>45308581
Disregard his posts. He thinks that a few feet of USB cable will add a huge amount of latency when I can ping a city a few thousand miles away in 30ms.
>>
>>45308626
I'm just chiming in here but won't this setup add a significant amount of latency because the CPU has to do a bunch of image processing it wouldn't otherwise need to? USB TV tuners have a significant lag when you watch the same channel next to a TV.

On the other hand, Nvidia figured out a way to do streaming gaming to a tablet with very low latency over wifi, so I guess anything is possible.
>>
>>45308668
>TV tuners
This is input anon, the image need to be processed.
Output wise, there is no latency as you just buffer the gpu and it just process everything and send you a image back directly to the display buffer.
>>
>>45307297
A lot.
>>
>>45308621
bump

should I just save it for my rig so I can put off a gtx 970 until prices drop?
>>
>>45308543

>fast progress of technology = jew

yeah ok AMDshit, enjoy your 3 year old rebranded trash
>>
>>45307297

Depends how big the stick is? Ever jerk off with something in your ass? Orgasm so hard you'll be passing out
>>
>>45309019
>rebrand 680MX to 780M and then add a higher clock for 880M instead of releasing a Maxwell 880M
>fast progress of technology

u wot, m9
>>
eGPUs don't exist and will never exist because there is no real market demand for them. To get a diy eGPU working, you need an expresscard slot, and most laptops stopped using them years ago.
>>
>>45309301
Good thing all my laptops are old :^)
>>
>>45309301
>not having a thinkpad
>>
>>45309390
>tfw Thinkpad [spoiler]Yoga[/spoiler]
Unless I'm some dumbass, it's one of the only builds without the expresscard slot
>>
File: smug frog.jpg (52KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
smug frog.jpg
52KB, 499x499px
>>45309301
>eGPUs don't exist and will never exist because there is no real market demand for them.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8653/alienware-graphics-amplifier

hmmm....

(also, don't get too excited, it uses a proprietary Alienware connector)
>>
>>45309965
>yoga
>thinkpad
in name only
>>
>>45306991
at best you lower the capability of the gpu by 75%. This does not include the fact you're bottle necking it due to the cpu.
>>
>>45310332
found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxxtd2kVf0I
>200%
kek
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.