[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the first programming language you learnt?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

What was the first programming language you learnt?
>>
Ada. More places should teach it as a beginner's language
>>
Turing
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
BASIC on a TRS-80 clone (pic related)

That was 30+ years ago though and I never bothered learning another
>>
Paste in notepad and save as fork.bat (select "All files").
@echo off
:1
start fork.bat
GOTO 1
>>
>>45290780
>start fork.bat
>not start %0

anon pls
>>
javascript
>>
Pascal
>>
>>45290790
It werks for me.
>>
>>45290804
Not if someone renames it though.
>>
>>45290651
TI basic, though I think I had a basic class in the floppy disk era.

>>45290780
I don't have notepad
>>
>>45290651
PHP
>>
Java
>>
>>45290651
C
>>
tcl
>>
>>45290818
Good, you are free to change the code if you want, it's GPL v3 licensed.
>>
TI basic in the back of 6th grade math, if that counts
otherwise python.
But I've forgotten python since then.
First one that stuck with me was common lisp
>>
Matlab
>>
>>45290860
I'd like to relicense my copy under the WTFPL v2 if I could get your permission.
>>
html
>>
>>45290884
Nope, sorry but that would allow you to include it in proprietary software, I can't allow that.
>>
>>45290948
It's already for a propriety operating system, dude.
>Checkmate, atheist.
>>
C++
>>
>>45290780
>(select "All files").
is there a need for that anymore?
>>
Reason I'm asking is to know which one to start with, I once started with java but hated it as soon as I reached like the 20th tutorial, when he started talking about args, parameters and that shit, it got confusing so I just gave up.. it was also a bit hard because there's a lot of shit to memorize, I liked C But got kinda busy so didn't continue it, for python as soon as I reached the for loop I gave up too..
>>
>>45291039
Give scheme a try then
>>
C#
>>
>>45290651
Modula 2.
>>
what's the best program to write C++ with Assembly in? I've been using Turbo C++, it gets tough at times though
[spoiler]There wasn't a dumb-questions thread, sorry.
>>
>>45290651
Batch script
i was first introduced by the 'notepad virus' thing. Gradually i visited websites and learnt it well enough to make text based games in it. But the best thing i ever made was
@echo off
:start
echo %random% > %random%
goto start

Guess what it'll do?
>>
>>45291082
I'm dumb. I meant to post this in the programming general, not here. My bad guys.
My first was java. Pretty fun, now learning Assembly and C++
>>
>>45290651
In my honest opinion this is the order in which programming knowledge should advance, and as such the order I learnt in.

1. HTML
2. CSS
3. Javascript
4. Java
5. C Sharp
6. C++
7. Go
8. Swift
9. Haskell
10. ARM Assembly
>>
Java, although I messed around with Visual Basic when I was a kid. Didn't learn shit.
>>
I learned java but i forgot most of it. i kinda want to go back into it but i really want to make a game and i've heard that GC would fuck me over. is this true or would i be able to gain the capacity to write optimized code in java for, say, jmonkeyengine3 and make myself something akin to a modern RPG like dragon's age?
>>
Visual Basic 6.0
>>
>>45290651
Does the language of WarioWare DIY count?

I learned a lot from that motherfucker. I also learned how to squeeze the most I could out of it. Getting the level data that took away the time limit really helped.
>>
File: girl at computer.gif (152KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
girl at computer.gif
152KB, 400x267px
BBC BASIC
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
First year C reporting in. I've dicked with other languages and written a fair bit of html/css, but honestly C is much more interesting. Taught by this bad boy.
>>
>>45290651
(turbo) pascal
>>
Pretty sure it was

1. Java
2. HTML
3. C
4. Haskell

All because of school though. Those who studied programming languages by themselves have my respect because I wouldn't have any motivation outside of schooling to learn this stuff.
>>
>>45291039
>for python as soon as I reached the for loop I gave up too..
really? it is not a difficult concept. maybe you used a bad tutorial or something? im not an overly intelligent person and i have no trouble learning python
>>
C64 Basic.
>>
BASIC, don't know which version.
>>
Mobile basic. My first PC was a phone.
>>
C#
>>
C++ techically, but I wrote it like it was C so C in practice.
>>
html
>>
File: nice meme.jpg (100KB, 400x486px) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.jpg
100KB, 400x486px
>>45290780
>>
C
>>
What got me interested in programming was RPG Maker (initially 95 then 2000), not sure if anyone here is familiar with it but I pretty much spent my entire youth making games on that, and some of them were pretty complex, made my own custom battle and menu systems. It introduced me to the concepts of conditionals, loops, booleans, and so on.

I messed around with VB later on but I didn't do much with it. First programming language I learned was Java (senior year in highschool).
>>
Java
>>
Java.
>>
RIS
>>
Eiffel.
Because university.
>>
Pascal
>>
C but mostly just for the basics of logic/programming.

Then some VB 6 and the only real thing I wrote was in PHP.

Now Im moving into JS (and Scheme because SICP) and want to learn some decent C++.

Looking into C#/Java I hate them but I need to be like all the cool guys too
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.