[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>installed pic related to see what the fuss was all about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (49KB, 1191x842px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 1191x842px
>installed pic related to see what the fuss was all about
>it's basically like Windows or OSX but without the same amount of programs that you can use
>it's hard to install stuff because of all that Sudo stuff, can't even install graphic card drivers.

So this is it? Why is Linux so revered around /g/? What do you guys even use Linux for? Why should I give up windows for this?
>>
>>45283726
Muh freedom.
>>
>>45283726
ubuntu probably just doesn't want to deal with your shitty hardware
>>
>>45283726
>can't even install graphic card drivers
if you need windows software, linux is too hard or you are too lazy to learn then don't switch to linux
>>
>>45283726
>can't even install graphic card drivers.
wut?
I think you are doing something wrong or maybe your graphic card is doing all thing wrong.
>>
>>45283754
I have a normal Nvidia GeForce 660...

>>45283769
Is that your excuse to use Linux? All you can do is browse the fucking web on it and maybe use their shitty word processor.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>45283726
Your a fucking retard. Linux isn't made for Fucking Retards. RTFM FFS! Linux is way better than Windoze: everything runs smoother, it looks better, if things crash, it's only the program itself, and it doesn't affect any other running program.
>>
>>45283829
Yes, but what do you use it for? What can I do with Linux that I can't with windows?

I mean, I just don't get it. It's certainly more stable and safer but at the cost of diversified programs that I could use.

Right now, it's like a Chromebook for me.
>>
>>45283808
Can windblows even into vim? LaTeX? Is there even a decent C compiler? Even FFMpeg is a hassle on Windows.
>>
>>45283726
You're doing something wrong.
>>
>>45283879
Where do I access that?
>>
>>45283861
Surfing, following newsgroups, email, word processing, programming, building webpages, playing games (ut2k4!) and many more
>>
>>45283861

Weird, it's almost like different OSs have different strengths and weaknesses and appeal to different people.

Who'd have thought right?

I use Ubuntu because:
> I only regularly play a couple of games, and these now have native linux support

> I mostly use a PC for coding, which is 1000% easier on a linux distro then windows and mac os

> The rest of the time, I'm browsing websites and reading email, which is an identical experience on any OS

So I ask you, why should I pay for something I can get for free?
>>
>>45283888
System Settings > Additional Drivers
>>
>>45283726
>of all that Sudo stuff
linux is not for you bro try windows superfag tablet edition
>>
>>45283754
>ubuntu probably just doesn't want to deal with your shitty hardware
>>45283872
>Can windblows even into vim? LaTeX? Is there even a decent C compiler? Even FFMpeg is a hassle on Windows.
>>45283829
>Your a fucking retard. Linux isn't made for Fucking Retards. RTFM FFS! Linux is way better than Windoze: everything runs smoother, it looks better, if things crash, it's only the program itself, and it doesn't affect any other running program.

The Linux community is terrible.
>>
>>45284015

> linux community
> /g/

All of my wat
>>
>>45284015
The second one is making decent points, You can't refute them. Fuck off.
>>
Flipside, man. I use some variation of Ubuntu on all my machines, and got gifted some old desktop. How come Windblows doesn't boot up with my screen's full resolution out of the box? Why do I have to manually install wireless drivers? How come when I open up the terminal (called "command prompt") and type "sudo apt-get install mpv", I get some not found error?
>>
>>45284044
Vim is simple crap that Windows users don't want and the rest is just lies.

>>45284036

/g/ is about 40% Linux users.
>>
>>45284015
It's not terrible. This board is terrible. Most of the decent people have gone to other chans, at this point you're just left with newfags and kiddies running preset installs of Arch Linux.

I'm just here because it's funny seeing threads like these.
>>
after using linux for a while i realized its just a toy.
you use it for shits and giggles.

i like to use this metaphor or whatever to describe it
>two different people decide to go on vacation
>the first gets a hotel in a tourist spot to relax
>he visits the tourist attractions, eats at a restaurant, and sits back and watches tv at night
>the second goes camping in the forest to relax
>he pitches a tent, goes fishing during the day, and cooks his dinner over the fire at night
>>
>>45283726
6/10
>>
>>45284071

/g/ is 10,000% moraccan spice farmers.

> I too can make up shit to support my ignorant shitposting
>>
>>45284071
Alright Windows user, use FFMpeg to record yourself writing something in C.
>>
>OP can't into Ubuntu

Nice troll thread.
>>
>>45284076
This is the most popular image board for Linux users on the web.

>>45284124

I am not kidding. There have been many polls on it.

>>45284134
>FFMpeg
Wikipedia says this is a GNU tool for multimedia, which I don't need because I have superior proprietary tools by Microsoft and other companies.

>>45284134
>writing something in C.

Visual Studio is fine for writing C programs.
>>
>>45284174

"Nah I swear on me mum, a friends dads mums friends brother-in-law did a poll, totes scientific and everything"

[shitposting intensifies]
>>
File: peppe.jpg (6KB, 200x190px) Image search: [Google]
peppe.jpg
6KB, 200x190px
>>45283872
>Can windblows even into vim? LaTeX?

Yes and yes.

>Is there even a decent C compiler?
No of course not. The biggest consumer OS does not have a C compiler, all applications on Windows are made in Visual Basic....

>Even FFMpeg is a hassle on Windows.
No it's not.
>>
>>45283726
Linux makes you realize how the technology you use really works. And there's PLENTY of software out there; essentially the only things that don't have good alternatives on linux are video editors and some games.
>>
>>45284159
Seriously. Ubuntu is brain-dead fucking easy. It's a solid fucking distro and great for beginners. It's not Ubuntu's problem. It's YOUR problem.
>>
File: baby_duck.jpg (176KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
baby_duck.jpg
176KB, 640x427px
OP is a baby duck and a faggot
>>
>>45283726
>without the same amount of programs that you can use
>it's hard to install stuff because of all that Sudo stuff

either youre a fucking idiot or this is bait.
>>
>>45283726

You're literally fucking retarded. Get off of /g/.
>>
>>45284235
Forgot to mention, I started using linux when I was 13. I had the same problems at first but it got better quickly. just stick with it and don't be afraid to ruin your installation; you will eventually but after you reinstall you will never make the mistake again and will be more knowledgeable about what is and isn't "dangerous".
>>
>>45283829
>if things crash, it's only the program itself

last I checked, Linux isn't a microkernel m8.
>>
>>45284307
It's a macrokernel?
>>
>it's not ubuntu's fault
>it's your shitty hardware
>it's you
Never change, Linuxfags. You may have all time in the world to fuck around with you ricing distros, but it's too much of a hassle for people who don't. Windows has its issues too, but it's still untopped for a regular user. Don't try to insist it's not, because all your arguments taper to 'you need to spend more time with Linux maintenance'.
>>
>>45284290
Same goes for Windows, but what's the point of switching to Linux if you already have your experience with Windows troubleshooting?
>>
>>45284206
Do you know that this board is archived? Your funposting is easily refuted.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=poll+OS&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S41411764

Since you didn't know that /g/ is about 40% Linux users, you are probably a newfriend.
>>
>>45284317
>still untopped
OSX beat it in that area like years ago. WIndows is ontopped for having the most indians and 13 year olds using it
>>
>>45284357
Jesus christ you're an idiot. That poll shows that 40% of /g/ uses linux, not 40% of linux users go on /g/
>>
GNU and Windows serve fundamentally different purposes. GNU is meant primarily to allow people to do computing however they wish. GNU doesn't hold the users' hands, and it gives the user minimal guidance in the configuration and use of the system. Windows, on the other hand, is designed to work particularly well for people who have no desire to tinker with the underlying system. Windows does most of your computing for you, which is fine for many users.

It's the difference between a nanny state, like Australia, and a more permissive country like Switzerland. Nothing wrong with Australia, for the record. I just wouldn't want to live there.
>>
>>45284315
no, it's a monolithic kernel.
>>
>>45284174
>There have been many polls on it.
pfft yeah that's a real reliable source
>>
>>45284402

You have reading comprehension issues. My original post says this.

>>45284071
>/g/ is about 40% Linux users.

Opinionated and stupid. Got to love Linux users.
>>
>>45283946
> I mostly use a PC for coding, which is 1000% easier on a linux distro then windows and mac os

Wanna know how the entire thread knows you've never written a line of code in your life?
>>
>>45284423
There are hundreds of polls so yes it is reliable. I suppose you could ask moot for the OS stats on this board if you're really curious. Maybe there are lots of Windows lurkers too afraid to post because of all the freebies calling them names.
>>
>>45284367
OS X (hackintosh at least) is noticeably slower than Windows on the same hardware. Apple's hardware with decent specs and SSDs is more pricey than Windows computers.
>>
>>45284447
yes
>>
>>45284044
>can windows into vim?
Yes.

>LaTeX?
Yea.

>decent c compiler?
Yeah. GCC is pretty good, but so are many others, including the Microsoft one.

I think you might literally have Down's Syndrome. I'd get checked.
>>
>>45284477
It's because you think that coding is somehow complicated on a Windows machine. That's how. You've either never used Windows in your life or you've never programmed. It's pretty obvious which of the two is more likely.
>>
For the vast VAST majority of people, Windows is more than good enough. They don't need text editors that take 17 years to set up and learn all the extremely unintuitive commands just to save and exit or change lines. They don't need different video encodings. They can stick to industry standard IDEs for programming something simple (can be complex too).
Linux is good for finer control of all of the above and more. Another anon puts it well; it'll let you understand more about how things work.
Bottom line is it depends on what you need. There isn't really a middle ground however, which is why it always seems "stupid" to the other demographic.
However you are inevitably going to get Linux "users" who use it just to appear LEET.
>>
>>45284452
>There are hundreds of polls so yes it is reliable
No it doesn't work like that. Web based polls can be skewed by anyone with enough proxies. /g/ in particular is a very slow board so anyone with like 100 proxies would be able to throw off the poll.

moot is the only one that can know for sure what the makeup of this particular board is like.
>>
>>45284461

True, but Apple's process scheduler is a thing of great beauty IMO.
>>
>>45284228
>No of course not. The biggest consumer OS does not have a C compiler, all applications on Windows are made in Visual Basic....
I love your sarcasm
>>
File: 1334336124001.png (13KB, 281x400px) Image search: [Google]
1334336124001.png
13KB, 281x400px
>>45284452
>GNU/Linux has a 2% marketshare
>40% of /g/entoomen are GNU/Linux users
>>
>>45284534
The sample size decreases the likelihood that proxies skewed the results. Even in the smaller polls with fewer than 20 votes Linux is about 40%. The larger polls have the same ratio of Linux to non-Linux users. This is evidence that the polls are accurate. Furthermore, the polls keep the same OS ratio as the votes increase, showing that proxies are not being used to skew in favour of a particular OS.

Now that you have been thoroughly debunked, what do you have to say for the conduct of the substantial Linux community on /g/?
>>
>>45284573
Correct.
>>
>>45284590
The only thing your web based polls tell me is that linux users are more likely to respond to web based polls. You have no proof that /g/ is the one responding to those polls and you also have no proof that the poll is actually representative of /g/ as a whole.
>>
File: Linux_User.jpg (157KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Linux_User.jpg
157KB, 1024x768px
>>45283726
linux is a toy OS for autistic virgins

pic related
>>
>>45284621
Keep raising the burden of proof like a creationist, further showing that the Linux community is full of assholes.
>>
>>45283726
>>it's hard to install stuff because of all that Sudo stuff

stopped reading here
>>
>>45284263
>Seriously. Ubuntu is brain-dead fucking easy. It's a solid fucking distro and great for beginners. It's not Ubuntu's problem. It's YOUR problem.

Oh look another asshole.
>>
>>45284426
uhh no it says
>The Linux community is terrible.

If you're judgeing the ENTIRE linux community by what you see on 4chan of all places then you must be very opinionated and stupid
>>
>>45284702
They truly are a friendly and helpful community. Not at all a hive of children desperately trying to appear like hackers to each other and the rest of the world, complete with elitist attitudes they have no right to.
>>
>>45284624
>only furniture in room is bed, desk, and chair, improving focus on hacking
>appreciation for superior Japanese culture
>Dr. Pepper and Pocky, quality snacks showing refined taste
>No time to clean, too busy becoming a hacker god
>sexy keyboard
>wrist watch

8/10 would hack with.
>>
>>45283726
All OS are shit but linux suck less
>>
>>45284702
>Look! An asshole on 4chan!
>>
>>45284737
4chan is a great place to find out what people are really like.

>>45284743
If I were on Google plus I would give you a +1.
>>
>>45284789
>4chan is a great place to find out what people are really like.

Know it's not at all you dumb shit.
>>
>>45284743
Yeah a bunch of assholes. What kind evil facist nazi community makes documentation, hosts forums only for the help of others, and have irc channels dedicated to just helping people. Disgusting

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommunityHelpWiki
>>
>>45284816
*no

Who's the dumbo now?

>>45284853

Microsoft support is superior.
>>
I can't even understand why /g/ replies to such an obvious troll

reported
>>
>>45284590
>literally zero citations
>thoroughly debunked
pick one nerd
>>
>>45284867
>Microsoft support is superior
>support is superior
>is superior

You sir, just broke mah internet
>>
>>45284816
Yeah people will definitely hide their real selves when they're completely anonymous and there are no consequences.
>>
>>45284950
The link to the polls is a citation.
>>
>>45284853
Yeah. It's hard to be an elitist piece of shit when you don't have an audience kissing your ass, huh?
>>
>>45283979
Fuck I laughed at this , so accurate tho
>>
>>45283726
>>All this sudo stuff

stick to windows m8 at least until you know SOMETHING about computers
>>
>>45283726
>>
>>45283879
Theme name pls
>>
>>45285652
Dark faggot
>>
> le Loonix is only le free if you don't value le time XD

Things you have to do in Windows that you don't have to do in Linux:
> install an antivirus program
> defrag your hard disk
> run a rootkit sweep
> reboot to install updates
> reinstall periodically to fix system slowdown
> pay money to validate your OS or use bootleg cracking software
> that fucking registry
>>
>>45283879
What did you do make your bar on the side and top like that?
>>
>>45285980
>Thins you have to do in Windows if you're a retard.
FTFY, aside from a few of those ofc.
>>
>>45285980
Lets narrow this list down to things actual people do on windows.

>>pay money to validate your OS
>>install an antivirus program
>>reboot to install updates
>>
Seeing this thread fills me with happiness. It makes me so glad that I've completely stopped browsing /g/ except for when I'm on the shitter.
>>
>>45286104
And by not doing those other things, they end up with a shitty computer and buy a Mac.
>>
>>45285980
>> install an antivirus program
Common sense 2015
>> defrag your hard disk
SSDs don't get defraged, my 2tb drive gets defragged automatically in the background
>> run a rootkit sweep
Common sense 2015
>> reboot to install updates
Not shutting down every night since its going to be at least 16 hours before you need the PC again and letting windows install updates then :/
>> reinstall periodically to fix system slowdown
I've been running the same install of 7 for 2 years, in fact I recently installed 8.1 and it was slower than my 7 install, so I reloade the image I took of 7
>> pay money to validate your OS or use bootleg cracking software
I got 7 and vista for free, But okay you can have this one
>> that fucking registry
Which is no worse than hunting .config files that have absolutely zero documentation, except for the fact that touching the registry is not even remotely required to get things done
>>
>>45286578
>>hunting .config files

man somegaystuff.conf
~/.config
/etc/
>>
Anyone here using ubuntu with a r9/hawaii card?

Why is the desktop so sluggish/laggy with any driver available?
>>
>>45286696
fine for me on default drivers
>>
>>45286696
Try decreasing your swappiness. By default, Linux makes heavy use of the swap file. This makes sense on a server, but on a home computer you're better off setting it to use the RAM as much as possible. I don't feel like looking up how though, just Google "decrease swappiness".
>>
>>45286655
stop
don't use actual arguments.
you're supposed to say something like
"ecks dee you're autistic"
"ebin you dont have a jerb"
"top lelel how does it feel to not be one of the microshaft confirmed cool guise"
>>
Install gentoo and then you can complain.

Ubuntu is easier than windows.
>>
>>45283726
You shouldn't if you're too stupid to even know the difference.
>>
>>45285824
+1
>>
>>45283726
>Why should I give up Windows for this?
Because at first glance it seems restrictive but its anything but that. Everything is changeable to what you want out of your computer with appearance or function. You will learn a lot about Unix and terminal commands which will give you much more know how on how to operate a computer from commands.

Of course it's safer and give you more freedom but its a very modular, customizable OS.
>>
>>45283726
You should use all of the OSes. Windows, Linux, Mac for the faggot factor.
Just know Linux will give you a lot of pain. It works well when it's stock but you need to be an expert to have fun with it.
>>
>>45288715
Ubuntu is not easier than Windows.
>>
>>45283808
>All you can do is browse the fucking web on it and maybe use their shitty word processor
linux is a whole new world...
>>
>>45290160
top kek yeah okay man
I'll meet you in the basemen*Wait, no, I have programs to write.
>>
>>45283726
>false statements about 'linux'
linux is the kernel, gnu is the coreutils, ubuntu is the distro.

get it right
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.