[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Apple launching proprietary headphone jacks in 2015

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 21

File: image.jpg (27KB, 659x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 659x354px
>Apple launching proprietary headphone jacks in 2015
>>
What the hell do you need apps for in headphones?
>>
Well, someone has to get us away from 3.5mm standard....
>>
>>45242847
But there is nothing wrong with the 3.5mm standard.
>>
>>45242863
By using the Lightning port, the DAC will move to the headphones. This means that better DACs can be used. The Apple spec also calls for a minimum quality of DAC so makers dont just put crap chink shit in.
>>
>>45242879
That has nothing to do with 3.5mm audio jacks.
Also moving more shit into the headphones is not a good thing.
>>
>>45242879
Why can't the DAC stay where it is? It's doing a fine job there, mainly because you can mix and match the DAC and headphones as seperate devices, allowing you more USER FREEDOM.
>>
>>45242894
>iPhone
>user freedom
>>
>>45242814
>Apple launched proprietary usb
>Apple launched proprietary thunderbolt

And all those were terrible, right?

If anything, Apple's massive economic power lets them do whatever they want, so they can push what's good for the user, and the industry has the choice to follow or perish.
>>
>>45242919
That's true, OP never said it was a bad thing.
>>
but jacks are physically superior
>>
>>45242919
>Apple launched thunderbolt
No, I think you meant Intel launched thunderbolt
>>
>>45242919
Apple invented USB?
>>
>>45242919
>follow or perish.

oh you.
>>
Anyone that doesn't see this as yet another attempt to secure profits at the expense of the end user's experience is a deluded fanboy that would probably accept an offer to eat actual shit as long as it came from a patent filed by Apple inc.
>>
>>45242953
No, Apple launched it.
Apple had an exclusivity deal with Intel, nobody could use it for 1 year I think, maybe more.

Apple almost never builds something from scratch.
They just have an uncanny ability to spot nice emerging technologies in advance, and then use their vast pile of cash to propel them to mass adoption.

(Of course they do it for their own benefit, since if the technology you've invested in becomes mainstream, you're at a vantage point. Also, they just want better user experience to sell their hardware and make profit.).
>>
>>45242970
How many high-end docks have you seen (like the Geneva Model _whatever_, or the B&W Zeppelin, etc.) without a 30pin connector, and a mini-usb or whatever proprietary Samsung/Nokia/etc. used?
>>
>>45242879
>This means that better DACs can be used. The Apple spec also calls for a minimum quality of DAC so makers dont just put crap chink shit in.
This makes zero sense if it's intended for iOS, as Apple is already the company determining what DAC their devices have.
>>
>>45243021
audio in
>>
>>45243023
in genreal most phone DACs are not of the highest quality, and in fact sometimes are pretty shitty. The iPhone has a passable DAC but it could be better. By allowing the headphone maker to select a DAC, they quality of the DAC could be increased if the user wanted a better one/better headphones. This would mean Apple is no longer determining the DAC, but BOSE, or Audio Technica etc.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 492x102px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 492x102px
The device you connected cannot be used with your Apple iPhone 6s Plus (PRODUCT) RED U2 Edition. Please connect a Genuine Apple Certified iHeadphone set to use the following features:

Listen to music audio over headphones
Listen to video audio over headphones
Send and receive calls over headphones
Send commands to Siri over headphones
>>
File: panicfma1.jpg (70KB, 800x409px) Image search: [Google]
panicfma1.jpg
70KB, 800x409px
>2021
>apple launches proprietary polarized screen
>need special iContacts with iVision to use any apple product
>>
>>45242998

>uncanny ability to spot

Intel: Hey other Jew, want to market and sell this new tech to goys?
Apple: Sure! Now they'll all have to buy new chargers too!
>>
>>45242998
>my sides
Like apple spotted the emerging technology of nfc, amirite?
>>
>>45242962
they invented a proprietary version.
>>
>>45242998
Wow kid, you're a little faggot.
>>
>>45242919
>lets them do whatever they want, so they can push what's good for the user, and the industry has the choice to follow or perish.

Which is why firewire is so popular, right?

Let's be honest. Apple doesn't have the smartphone market hold it used to have. If they try to push even more proprietary bullshit, they will just lose more marketshare.
>>
>>45243186
Firewire was very popular before USB 2.0 came out. It literally shit all of USB 1.1
>>
>>45243054
>audio in
So?

Yes, they have audio in (and iWhatever have 3.5mm jack for audio out, and a bunch of adapters for 30pin).

But why do they also have 30pin instead of a Samsung/Nokia/Sony connector, or even the standard mini/micro-usb?
>>
>>45243186
iPhone is the #1 smartphone in the US, year on year.
>>
File: 1339860235241.jpg (41KB, 760x571px) Image search: [Google]
1339860235241.jpg
41KB, 760x571px
>>45243212
>Firewire was very popular
>>
>>45243111
Point is though, thunderbolt is a fucking fast connection, and gives you PCI access in a small connector, that you can daisy chain.

No matter that Apple popularised it, I'm happy it's available.
>>
>>45243225

Single phone?

Yes.

But if we go by OS, iPhone is getting fucking stomped.
>>
>>45243225
With declining marketshare and disappointment, year on year. There isn't a single aspect an iPhone can any longer beat an android in.
>>
>>45243126
Apple ignored nfc until it got much improved power consumption.

The irony is though, probably Apple will be the one to popularise it, just like it did with online music sales and iTunes, despite not being the first.
>>
>>45242919
>Apple launched proprietary usb
Elaborate.
>>
>>45243244
It was. The reason why USB becaame more popular than Firewire was because it is much cheaper to manufacture compliant USB devices. Firewire was superior to USB but that came at a price that not too many manufacturers were willing to pay.
>>
>>45243186
>Which is why firewire is so popular, right?
But it is popular.
Just ask anyone using audio interfaces, dj consoles, or working in a medium sized studio doing graphics.

Firewire was the "professional" fast connection, and usb the consumer one.
>>
>>45243091
>RED U2 Edition.

Hot damn, nearly spat coffee.
>>
>>45243252
lol windows phone didnt even start out good
>>
>>45243260
>Apple will be the one to popularise it

It is already popular, long before apple took it up.

Most of my electronics are NFC capable, and I can pay with NFC at most stores around here.
>>
>>45243260
>tap to pay
>not already adopted
>Its been around for almost 5 years
>Its not being used to pay for shit
>not being used for tags
>not being used

BUT APPLE HAS IT!!!1!11 HOLY SHIT EVERYONE USE WHAT WE HAVE AND SAY APPLE MADE IT XD LE EPIC MAYMAY
>>
>>45243277
What you're describing sounds exactly like something that's not popular.
>>
>>45242998
>Also, they just want better user experience to sell their hardware and make profit

What the actual fuck does that even mean? Using a proprietary connector somehow equates to a better user experience? You mean like when they changed the bottom port and all the tech you invested in no longer works with a newer product? That kind of better experience?
>>
>>45243186
Using intel chip sets, PC makers pretty much got USB for free, just solder in ports.

>>45243244
For common plebs, not really. But if you did digital video, it was a necessity. USB can not handle the throughput required for tape capture. And yes, with the migration to solid state media has lessened the necessity for Firewire.
>>
welcome to basic earphones costing $150 due to a fucked up concept which will never work, and the EU will beat the shit out of apple again, as they aren't happy with the lightening connector as it isn't a standard.

>>45243260
nah bruv visa, mastercard, and oyster popularized NFC as they are the ones putting it pretty much everyones hands, not just those with $800 to spend.
>>
>>45243269
Apple launched an iMac with only usb connections.
At the time, people viewed usb as just another new proprietary (not Apple's) connector, aka more hassle and incompatibility.

They cried for no ADB and no SCSI.

Now, nobody even remembers those.
>>
File: 1387213247497.jpg (25KB, 490x310px) Image search: [Google]
1387213247497.jpg
25KB, 490x310px
I wonder what iphones for euro export will look like.
By 2017 all devices sold in European Union will have to be charged by standard usb chargers (currently microusb) and Apple is the only company falling behind
>>
>>45243347
That's the kind of language sheeps with Stockholm syndrome use.
>>
>>45243369
How much does apple lose by pulling out of eu?
>>
>>45243316
Popularise, as in "a significant number of people, in the millions, are gonna use it on a daily basis".
>>
File: scph-98551-la.jpg (9KB, 560x228px) Image search: [Google]
scph-98551-la.jpg
9KB, 560x228px
Why didnt they make it like the psp and its playback controls. This only made it semi proprietary because the normal headphone jack was still there.
>>
>>45243325
The point was about the popularity of Firewire before USB
>>
>>45243393
about a 1/3 of all sales including iphone, ipad, and ipod

also apple has to comply with the new standard laptop charger as well
>>
>>45243401
because they wouldnt make as much money that way
>>
>>45243252
Seems like iOS use is declining as well.
>>
Fuck Apple, so bored of there consistent bullshit.
Things like planned obsolescence is so blatantly obvious with them it becomes annoying.
I still can't believe people continue to defend a company like this.
>>
>>45243269
The connector had a little nub that prevented use with non-applel devices. Some of their USB keyboards used them.

To answer your next question, I don't know if splicing a regular USB connection on it would allow you to use it on a different computer or not.
>>
>>45243398
>Popularise, as in "a significant number of people, in the millions, are gonna use it on a daily basis".

Which already happens.
>>
>>45243347
For Apple, hardware makes them money.
Not ads, not subscriptions, not software.

Everything has to be fine tuned to sell hardware.

They absolutely need user experience to set them apart, because they're in the high-end market, not the commodity market. All they have is expensive hardware.

So, if a connector makes for a better user experience (and the lighting does, with it being 1. reversible and 2. much smaller), they won't hesitate to adopt it.

That's for today's Apple, that has the influence and money to force the industry to also adopt it.

Yesteryears Apple on the verge of bankruptcy couldn't have afforded that, if they launched something that was inconvenient for manufacturers, the latter would simply ignore it and the "new thing" would be deserted wasteland.

But now, manufacturers will do anything to be Apple compatible ™.
If there's a comparative review of 2 products, and one is Apple-Compatible (be it lightning, thunderbolt, whatever) and the other not, it's dead in the water.
>>
>>45243459
their*
oops
>>
>>45243316
Yeah, it was only a fluke that Android tap-to-pay activity spiked after Apple Pay launched.

Expect Android watches to see a similar spike when Apple's comes out next year, (and people see how much those cost.)
>>
>>45243459
to be honest, their only products with planned obsolescence is their actual computers, as they keep the iOS devices updated for 2-3 years.
>>
>>45243469
>To answer your next question, I don't know if splicing a regular USB connection on it would allow you to use it on a different computer or not.

Yes you could. I had one of their keyboard with the nub. Removed it and it worked perfectly fine.
>>
>>45243278
I use audio interfaces and I have never used firewire in audio production.

Years ago I had a camcorder that did.
>>
lol
what a joke

also people implying thunderbolt still isn't left with shitty overpriced options for it
while ignoring usb3.0 when it was introducing thunderbolt shit for a year i had nothing i could use it with except a 1000$ monitor that i didn't want/need
>>
>>45243367
So what is this "proprietary USB" you talk about?
>>
>>45243369
They'll just pay the fine.

Or pay (=bribe) some lobbyists to change the legislation.
>>
>>45243480
what about their phones? when the iphone 4 updated to ios 7 it became slow as fuck. and Apple didn't allow customers a way to revert back to ios 6.
>>
>>45243422
So mini usb iphones confirmed then?
>>
File: apple_usb_ext2.jpg (112KB, 640x411px) Image search: [Google]
apple_usb_ext2.jpg
112KB, 640x411px
>>45243507
Well there were these things
Apple added a retarded notch so you couldn't use them with any non-apple peripherals.

And lets not forget the ADC
>>
>>45243254
>declining marketshare

this is due to an increase in the size of the market and a slower adoption of $600 phones than $100 ones.
>>
>>45243512
it was passed in 2011, there is no way to get around it, and apple will comply as they couldn't afford to take the income loss.
>>
>>45243507
It was seen as proprietary at the time.
Also, Apple had its own proprietary implementation, with some tinkered connector, to tie it to the platform.
>>
>>45243469
That nub only appears on the extension cable for the keyboard, which came with the keyboard. The keyboard plug had the female end of that nub and could still be plugged into any other computer.
>>
>>45243473
>But now, manufacturers will do anything to be Apple compatible ™.
As clearly evident by the applepay fiasco. http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/25/7069863/retailers-are-disabling-nfc-readers-to-shut-out-apple-payq
>>
>>45243532
by 2017 yes or they have to bundle the lightening to micro-USB adaptors with every device instead of charging £15 for one.
>>
>>45243532
nope the they will just toss an adapter in the box

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter
>>
>>45243480
>they keep the iOS devices updated for 2-3 years.
good joke
get back to me once you try using ios7 on iphone 4s or 4
>>
>>45243459
>Apple releases one phone model per year (past two years excepting.)
FUCK APPLE PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE

>Meanwhile, Samsung releases over three dozen Galaxy phones in the same time period.
>>
>>45243582
>>45243572
that works out equally well
now my dumbshit sister won't have to spend $30 on an iCable when the cat chews it through and can use a $3 usb
>>
>>45243459

Funny, I still use my 9 year old iPod.
>>
>>45243244
It actually was popular. It was the popular thing before USB hit big time. Firewire speeds were top tier.
>>
>>45243593
>implying it's a comparison
I can run lollipop fluidly on my Galaxy S2, which was the flagship phone around 4s I think. Let me see how nicely your 4s runs ios8 or whatever it's up to now.
>>
File: micro_usb_lightning.jpg (5KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
micro_usb_lightning.jpg
5KB, 400x400px
>>45243547
They're just going to start putting these in the boxes.
>>
>>45243480
Um...The ipad is not an actual computer and don't they drop support for them after 2 years?
>>
>>45243593
>Samsung releases over three dozen Galaxy phones in the same time period.

Samsung has actually been caught putting subpar parts in TVs to make them fail within a year.

As far as terrible companies go, Samsung is wasy fucking worse than Apple.(And this is coming from someone who hates Apple.)

But just because Samsung is shit, it doesn't mean Android is.
>>
>>45243252
1 company vs 100+ companies

That number is pretty respectable
>>
>>45243606
but hopefully apple won't take that route as jony ive will cry about someone not using apple products, so there might be a micro-USB iphone which would make life easier, as fuck the proprietary shite.
>>
>>45243487
Are you chrisa chulo?
>>
>>45243632

Not saying it isn't.

But to say that whatever apple says goes in the mobile market is just delusion.
>>
>>45243632
blackberry is one company....
>>
>>45243621
I have a 4S spare that I put 8 on. It runs fine on a clean install.
>>
>>45243244
It was - just not in the home market - It was faster than USB 1 at the time and on par with the nonexistant USB 2 (for FW1\FW400). Due to the way Firewire works it was better for Streaming and shit so it worked well in professional markets, Very common in Video, common enough in audio
>>
>>45243543
Which is literally most definitely a decline in marketshare. The cause is irrelevant.
>>
to be honest firewire was fairly popular on business grade laptops up until 2010, as i've got a shit ton of latitudes and thinkpads all with firewire, it's much the same for BNC, SDI, and SCSI, just not a consumer level interface.
>>
>>45243570
There was a contract with MCX (or something) to ban any other nfc provider, google wallet included.

But because of Apple, some retailers re-enabled Apple Pay for black Friday and holiday season (breaching the contract), to wallow in the disposable incomes of iPhone owners.

No exception for google wallet though.
>>
>>45243538
see >>45243551

>>45243549
Which history has shown to not at all be proprietary. But if that doesn't support your case, then why argue it, right? Also see >>45243551
>>
>>45243690
their userbase is increasing, decline in marketshare means nothing, pleb
>>
>>45243587
iPhone 4 was almost 4y.o. when iOS 7 was released.
>>
>>45243648
To say that Apple doesn't affect the mobile market far more delusional.

Apple literally owns the premium smartphone market. No one else is anywhere close on that. So everyone else is racing to the bottom.

Samsung can't come close to competing with Apple on $700 phones, and now Samsung is losing out to cheap Android phones from Xoami.
>>
>>45243628
>Samsung has actually been caught putting subpar parts in TVs to make them fail within a year

Citation please. I personally have no problems with any of my samsung devices. I don't have one of their TVs though.
>>
>>45243745
Samsung should stick to making good TV's and soundsystems. I'm happy Xaomi is actually shaking up the lower part of the market.
>>
>>45243745
>doesn't affect the mobile market far more delusional.

Your reading comprehension sucks.

I didn't say apple had no affect, I said it did control it with an iron fist.
>>
>>45243649
#REKT
>>
>>45243764
but they do

samsungs big screen phone division went down the shitter the second the 6 came out
>>
>>45243763
hopefully they also give HTC some decent market share for the decent hardware they are putting lately
>>
>>45243758

>http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-power-defect-causes-some-tvs-to-fail-and-a-class-action-suit-follows/

Refused to accept warranty untiil a lawsuit.
>>
>>45243727
Their user base is increasing, yet less people are using them.

Apple logic everyone.
>>
>>45243720
Thunderbolt is not proprietary either.

Actually, all connectors are proprietary, but manufacturers can still use them, most times without licensing fees.

So, in a modern sense, proprietary would mean "locked down, so nobody else is allowed to use it".
Which isn't the case, even for very Apple specific connectors, like lightning (actually, many cable/dock/speaker manufacturers already use it).
>>
>>45243786
no, more people are using them

the percentage is going down because the pool of smartphone users is growing at a greater rate than apple device adoption

why is that so hard to understand?
>>
>>45243786
it's possible more people are buying 2nd hand, just so they can be seen using an apple product, as it is fucking retarded the price they charge for the features they offer.
>>
there is literally nothing to worry about if you aren't an apple user.
>>
>>45243763
Not going to happen unless they can convince people to buy a new entertainment system every year.
>>
>>45243833
>Not going to happen unless they can convince people to buy a new entertainment system every year.
That's why they make them out of shitty parts. SO you have to.
>>
>>45243649
>blackberry is one company....

...flatlining.
>>
>>45243593
And when did my post even mention Samsung?
Why are you so defensive to the point where you don't talk about the actual subject. And I'm not sure you know what planned obsolescence is.
Do you think soldering RAM down so that you can't upgrade it is a respectable thing to do?
Just think about that for a moment.
I know you are possibly just an Apple fan-boy however, and will probably just result to:
> poor faggots can't afford a new macbook every few years lel
but I'm sure you would understand that would be a stupid thing to think right?
>>
>>45243846
nah m8, bb 10 is the shit, bb are just gonna retur to their business roots, they were never really for consumers anyway
>>
>>45243846
classic comes out soon(tm)
im steady waiting for that
>>
>>45243855
>Do you think soldering RAM down so that you can't upgrade it is a respectable thing to do?

How many phones do you have with upgradable RAM?
>>
>>45242998
> nice emerging technologies
that's complete bullcrap. Thunderbolt is absolutely useless and addons are extremely expensive, partly because of Intel's licensing shit and partly because let's screw the Mac users, they'll bend over.
>>
>>45243872
#REKT
>>
File: mad-face.jpg (36KB, 299x253px) Image search: [Google]
mad-face.jpg
36KB, 299x253px
>>45243823
But I need to get mad at Apple about something!
>>
>>45243855
To the general public, "Android" pretty much means "Samsung."
>>
>>45243872
I clearly wrote macbook... If you actually read instead of being fast to shitpost you would understand.
>>
>>45243872
I just download more RAM from the Google Play Store ™ to my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Upgrading RAM is easy and fun.
>>
>>45243872
it'd be more like
>how many phones do you have with upgradeable memory

onboard + sd card
>>
>>45242847
I already use bluetooth headphones, best fucking thing on the world, can move freely without any fucking issue.
>>
>>45243855
>And I'm not sure you know what planned obsolescence is.
Yeah. Because /g/ keeps moving the goalposts. They used to scream that every year when each new iPhone came out.
>>
>>45243948
>tfw Nexus 7
>>
>>45243960
it should be when a new ios comes out
>>
>>45243763
>Samsung should stick to making good tvs
>Samsung
>good tvs

HAHA

Oh wow...

Wait, is he serious?
>>
File: blank-019.gif (2MB, 852x468px) Image search: [Google]
blank-019.gif
2MB, 852x468px
>>45242879
>This means that better DACs can be used.
>>
>>45243948

Google has explained that Nexus devices only offer fixed storage as the company wants to avoid "techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing".

Upon answering questions about the Nexus lineup on Google+, Google's director of user services on Android, Matias Duarte, said offering consumers expandable memory through SD cards was apparently too confusing.

"Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality it's just confusing for users," he said. "If you're saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt every time? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? It's just too complicated."

Instead of implementing SD card support, Nexus devices offers a fixed amount of space that "apps just seamlessly… use", with users not having to "worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing".
>>
>>45243816
>the percentage is going down because the pool of smartphone users is growing at a greater rate than apple device adoption

So...less people are using them.
>>
>>45243846
But not declining. Like apple seems to be according to that graph
>>
>>45244008
how is expandable memory techy nonsense?

just choose in settings...sounds like they're trying to go full appleand hope people buy their 1k tablet
>>
>>45244010
come back when you have some basic reading comprehension and math skills, friendo
>>
>>45243707
Doesn't seem true. Link?
>>
>>45244008
Wow. I hate that explanation.

"It's too confusing for some people so lets dumb it down for everyone."

Their phone seem nice, but what a bunch of faggots.
>>
>>45243855
>Do you think soldering RAM down so that you can't upgrade it is a respectable thing to do?
For me, know.
For the majority, yes.

They figured that the percentage of people upgrading their RAM was quite small (~10% I guess), so they thought the benefits of soldering the ram (cheaper price -reminder that MacBooks are quite cheaper than they used to be- space savings -aka thinner laptop and/or more space for battery- etc.) were more important.

The soldered RAMs are just a single step in that direction.
Non-removable battery, custom motherboard, etc., all are steps to that direction.

And well intended, for the majority, I might say, even though personally I'm a tinkerer.
>>
>Apple starts selling proprietary link to 3.5mm converters at a large rate
>Only $19.99 each
>Pretty cheap ffor genuine apple
costs a dime to make
HA HA HA HA H A HA
>>
File: ZenDock3.png (102KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
ZenDock3.png
102KB, 600x348px
>>45243880
>Thunderbolt is absolutely useless
Are you kidding? It's extremely versatile.
>Can do 4k out via display port
>Can do DVI, HDMI, VGA out
>Can do audio out
>Can do USB and Firewire
>Can work as external PCIe
>Can do gigabit ethernet

With the exception of 4k out and PCIe, you can do all of those things at once on one thunderbolt port all at full speed. And yes, there exist products that do that. Here's the first one I found on google.
Anyone who says thunderbolt is useless doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.
>>
>>45244036
Come back when you take apples dick out of your mouth. You are fucking wrong. No matter what mental gymnastic you are you using to lie to yourself, you are wrong. Less people are using their products. Fucking period. I can't explain it to you any easier if you are just going to ignore factual information.
>>
>>45244097
0/10 trying too hard

lurk >>>/b/ some more and learn from masterful trolls
>>
>>45244080
or user upgrades goes around their extreme pricebump for ram

when i ordered mine i chose lowest ram knowing i would place a seperate order for 4x at a way less price
>>
>>45244092
that only took how many years after release? and where is it in stores?
>>
>>45243422
There will be a standard laptop charger ? Noice.
>>
>>45244147
consumer retard detected
>>
>>45244048
Davidson is head of the board pushing for CurrenC (MCX's payment system).

Now with Apple Pay, he's starting to backpedal.

Just search for Apple Pay vs CurrenC.
>>
>>45244103
>but applel tod me they are selling gorillions of devices!!!1! they wouldn't lie!1!! ur a troll!!!

Give up man.
>>
>>45244080

>They figured that the percentage of people upgrading their RAM was quite small (~10% I guess), so they thought the benefits of soldering the ram (cheaper price -reminder that MacBooks are quite cheaper than they used to be- space savings -aka thinner laptop and/or more space for battery- etc.) were more important.

None of that happened with the new mac mini.

It probably cost them more to change it because production lines were already in place. It is certainly not cheaper. And the case is identical (except for a lack of a grate over an exhaust fan) and has had no reduction in size.
>>
>>45243023
>>45242879
>all headphones without dacs are suddenly completely useless
>headphones jump up in price due to having to include a built in dac
fucking marvellous
>>
>>45244109
True.

I did the same, in 2009.

But to be honest, RAM prices (or maybe Apple's markup) fell massively.

Back then, I had to pay +400$ for 8GB instead of 4GB, while I could get the same for less than 100$ from crucial, and also keep the 4GB to use elsewhere.

Now, doubling from 8 to 16 is ~200$ (I think), and ~160 from third parties.
Meh, it's tolerable now.
>>
>>45244184
You blew it with that other post m8. Everyone saw through you. Come back next thread and maybe you'll snag little a fishie. I don't think he's coming back this time.
>>
>>45244147
>that only took how many years after release?
I don't know and why would I care? I can get the products right now if I wanted.

>and where is it in stores?
http://www.amazon.com/Display-Universal-Docking-Ethernet-included/dp/B00C631EYU/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1416446276&sr=1-9&keywords=thunderbolt+dock
If you don't care about USB ports and other things and just want extra displays
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00ESM3JKY/ref=sr_1_17?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1416446276&sr=1-17&keywords=thunderbolt+dock

Hell you can even get an 8 bay SAS rack that works through tunderbolt.
http://www.netstor
.com
.tw/_03/03_02.php?MTE0
>>
>>45244184
Are you retarded?
Not even the guy you are replying to, but I'' explain it to you:

Manifacturer A: 100 Users
Manifacturer B: 900 Users

Manifacturer A has 10% marketshare
Manifacturer B has 90% marketshare

a few years later:

Manifacturer A: 200 Users
Manifacturer B: 3800 Users

Manifacturer A has 5% marketshare
Manifacturer B has 95% marketshare

Manifacturer A has lost marketshare, but his user base has increased.
>>
>>45244185
Don't know about the mini.

Maybe economies of scale?
Aka buy the same dimms as MacBooks, use the same soldering process, not having to build/assemble mounting mechanisms for removable slots, etc. .

Mini should have replaceable RAM, HD and PSU, imo.
It'd make for a nice little server.
>>
>>45243973
They're migrating towards that line of attack. For now when you mention Samsung is far worse at Apple's crimes, /g/ either shuts up or brushes it off saying Samsung sucks.
>>
>2015
>Apple introduce lightning headphones
>Every owners of iPhone 7 won't be able to use their favorite headphone
>either they'll use shitty provided headphones, buy an expensive apple made adaptater or expensive lightning headphones
>lot of people will resell their iPhone 6 at gold price because it has a built in audio jack

>2016
>iPhone 8 come out, still with lightning headphone
>people finally adopt it in mass, spending unnecessary amount of money in headphone adaptator or lightning headphones

>2017
>eu law start, apple must provide built in micro usb (this suppose the law say the micro usb must be built in, no adapter allowed)
>iPhone 9 come with micro usb
>people with lightning headphones can't use them anymore
>they have to pay for new micro usb headphones

Meanwhile andoird/windows/blackberry/whateveryouwant users won't have any problem, still using their favorite headphones.

Apple will loose some customers with this shit, but sure they'll win tons of money.
>>
>>45244256
mini is laptop/mobile hardware sold as desktop
>>
>>45244283

Any iOS vs. Android eventually devolves into Samsung vs. Apple.

But in most hardcore Android users eyes, Samsung is as bad if not worse than Apple.

I mean, shit, even Sony makes better Android devices.
>>
File: bb.png (68KB, 570x250px) Image search: [Google]
bb.png
68KB, 570x250px
>>45244026
True. It's hard to drop below 0%.
>>
>>45244239
1st link isn't thunderbolt
2nd one is kind of interesting if it allows multiple displays
>>
>>45244292
Apple has always had audio out via the dock connector. I don't think they want to replace the 3.5mm jack, seems like they're just trying to add something else.

They bought Beats, which come with removable cables. I'm betting this will be more of a "here's a lightning audio cable with your headphones as well as the 3.5mm" kinda deal.
>>
>>45244175
I mean the part about stores breaking their MCX contract to allow ApplyPay during holidays. That's the kind of bs I expect apple shills to make up.
>>
>>45244313
>blackberry
>global market share

Didn't they stop selling devices outside the United States?

I know for a fact they don't sell them here anymore.
>>
>>45244349
>Didn't they stop selling devices outside the United States?
You can buy them in the UK. Quite popular among the tween demographic.
>>
>>45244324
Well I guess that's why it was the cheapest one.

Here's a dedicated Thunderbolt -> DP connector

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Adapter/dp/B00C28L51G/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416447209&sr=1-10&keywords=thunderbolt

Here's the cheapest thunderbolt dock
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Technology-Separately/dp/B00BQHD4B8/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416447209&sr=1-6&keywords=thunderbolt

Most of the thunderbolt docks are more expensive, but if Intel starts pushing other brands to use thunderbolt you'll see prices drop.
Regardless of prices now, the fact you can do so much with thunderbolt makes it anything but useless. It's not as widespread as USB, but it's not meant to be a USB replacement, it's an expansion port that can do things USB could only dream of.
>>
>>45244349
they're a canadian company....
> The BlackBerry Classic launch event has been set for December 17th in NYC, Frankfurt and Singapore.
>>
>>45244382
i actually bought the belkin a few months ago when the price dropped from original like $300+ which was a joke the power supply is almost bigger than the dock but i can finally use usb3....
>>
>>45244386
>>45244360

Err...When I said U.S. I meant English speaking countries.
>>
>>45242847
Why? The 3.5 is great... 95% of headphones use it now you have to buy proprietary stuff, plus I guess you can't charge your phone with headphones in this way
>>
>>45244442
How else will they charge u extra?
>>
>>45244307
>Sony
>check their website
>Nearly 30 *current* Xperia models available.
>>
>>45244426
BB is incredibly popular in third world countries, mate. They love to pretend to be little western businessmen.

Westerners are still buying more smartphones, because we have more money!
>>
>>45244334
>Beats

shocked it took this many posts to get here

apple owns beats, so beats will be the only company producing iOS device headphones without crazy tech licensing overhead or costly/goofy 3.5"-to-lightning adapters

apple has been sucking beats by dre's dick for years before they bought them. this has been coming down the line for fucking ever.

more of apple having no fucking clue what to do without steve jobs
>>
lol @ the retards clinging to 3.5mm like its good

>terrible quality
>socket can wear out giving intermittent connectiion
>analog
>>
>>45244457
>more of apple having no fucking clue what to do without steve jobs

i don't know anon, i think bundling a lightning cable in with the headphones will persuade an urban minority customer base to pick up an iphone instead of an android

YALL NIGGAS AINT EVEN GOT THE LIGHTNING CONNECTER SMH
>>
>>45244442
You mean 99.999999 %
I never saw any headphones with another connector
>>
>/g/ wants technology held back because of muh nostalgia
>>
>>45244472
And treating OP's claim and their speculations about Apple like it's fact.
>>
>>45244455

They really only have three lines(Z, X, A) running still, with a new model once a year (which they claim will stop post Z4).

Their website lists everything, even as far back as MD players and tape decks.

Besides it is the hardware and software itself I am talking about. Take a look at the Z3 Compact for example.

Their android is pretty clean too. A few Sony apps but none of that touchwiz cancer Samsung has
>>
>>45244472
>your ears can process digital sound
>>
>>45242814
"Your headphones aren't DRM compliant, therefore we can't let you hear your music. Please buy DRM certified headphones"
>>
>>45243956
Yay microwaves giving me brain cancer! Enjoy, dumbshit.
>>
File: laughatanon.jpg (152KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
laughatanon.jpg
152KB, 960x720px
>>45244576
>microwaves
>brain cancer
>>
>>45244540
It's like he doesn't know the human ear isn't digital.
>>
>>45244495
There are some that exist with 1/4"

probably like .000001%
>>
>>45244342
Google "Meijer Apple Pay".
>>
>>45244875
>one unknown small chain allows any nfc (including wallet) payment method instead of just mcx
Yea, totally what you claimed here. >>45243707
>>
>>45244360
interesting.
>>
This is the unhackable DRM that Bono and Apple made. Calling it now.
>>
>>45243470
Maybe in Europe, this shit is new to the average consumer in America.
>>
>>45243091
Your new Bono(tm) ULTRALOSSLESS track cannot be played on analog (aka pirate) headphones. Please connect your DRE-DRM headphones to continue.
>>
Yet another reason not to use Apple products.
>>
>>45243369
They put adapters in the box.
>>
>>45244977
>Dr. DRM´s beats
>>
>>45242879
>mfw people think there is a difference in modern DACs
>mfw I forgot I'm posting on my chromebook which doesn't have my reaction folder so I'll just type the image name

shiggy.jpg
>>
File: GBASP_HeadphoneAdapter.jpg (303KB, 1596x398px) Image search: [Google]
GBASP_HeadphoneAdapter.jpg
303KB, 1596x398px
>>45244495
Remember me?
>>
>>45242879
>DAC will move to the headphones. This means that better DACs can be used
>can

No it doesn't, DAC quality will not increase if it is moved to the headphones. It's just going to make for chunkier headphones with more built in electronics. FUCK that. Plus, what about the amp?

If you want a DAC, buy an audio player with a good DAC, buy a portable DAC/amp combo, or buy a sound card. Your call. There is absolutely no reason to move away from the 3.5mm headphone standard when the whole purpose of a DAC is to make the output sound more like analog anyway.
>>
>>45244939
Btw, that was a breach of contract.

CurrenC is almost 3 y.o., and most retailers were approached by MCX to sign for CurrenC this year.

So, if you want to look for stores dropping (actually, not accepting from the beginning) CurrenC for Apple Pay, check all the Apple Pay retailers, as they sure were approached by MCX first.

Lastly, Apple made the banks bend over, as it negotiated very good terms, like the lower "card present" fee (not available for other payment methods, unless you pay with a card that is physically present), as well as a cut (to Apple), from the banks and not the consumers.

The banks agreed, because they understand Apple's influence.
>>
>>45242919
>so they can push what's good for the user, and the industry has the choice to follow or perish
How often do they actually push what's good for the user though? I can't remember the last time they did that. Proprietary headphone jacks sure wouldn't be good for the user. Got any examples?
>>
>>45245181

Bad for the user:
>proprietary connecters
>random proprietary connector upgrades that change nothing
>proprietary headphone jacks
>non-repairable/upgradable hardware
>touchscreen only devices

Off the top of my head.
>>
>>45242919
>>>45242814 (OP)
>>Apple launched proprietary usb
>>Apple launched proprietary thunderbolt
>And all those were terrible, right?
>If anything, Apple's massive economic power lets them do whatever they want, so they can force you to buy accessories from them and make even more money out of their customers, and the industry has the choice to follow or perish.

Fixed that typo for you anon
>>
>>45245181
>treating this headphone bullshit like it's fact.
>>
File: 1405828677151.jpg (320KB, 729x760px) Image search: [Google]
1405828677151.jpg
320KB, 729x760px
>apple releases only thunderbolt iphones in 2016
>so that people are able to listen to music and charge at the same time, apple releases a thunderbolt splitter
>exact same as a 3.5mm splitter but thunderbolt ports
>can now listen and charge for $29.99 more

>1 month later
>some retard has tried charging his iphone twice as fast by plugging two charging cables into splitter
>battery overheats, explodes
>/g/ hears before mainstream media
>starts making those fake "official" apple info pictures explaining how to charge phone twice as fast
>isheep fall for it
>mass explosions of iphones
>>
>>45245247
That will truly be a great day we should start working on the ad now to save time later
>>
>>45242814
Apparently Beats headphones will be the only supported brand for 1 year.
>>
File: 1416407866093.jpg (40KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1416407866093.jpg
40KB, 499x499px
>>45245247
OH MY FUCKING GOD
>>
fuck lightning jacks. They're poorly made pieces of shit. I've burned through 5 of them and they all break the same way. The encasing breaks around the tip and all the wires are exposed.
>>
>>45245216
So basically, no one can remember a time when they pushed anything that was actually good for the user.
>>
>>45242814
oh look, a non-standard that won't be adopted like firewire
>>
Beats by Apple(™)

Now works with all Apple phones that have the lightning headphone slot.

Only 899$
Innovation not only for your ears but for your wallet
>>
>>45245300
Fuck off shitposter. /g/ was pretty good without you lurking around whining about Apple in every thread.
>>
>>45244184
>>45244097
>>45244010
>>45243786
>>45243690
>>45243254
>>45243186
How embarrassing.

>>45245247
Isn't that good though? Apple keeps wanting to have less connectors on the phone so that less space is taken up.
And now you can use their Beats headphones which include a huge DAC in their even huger headphone ear boxes.
>>
>>45245374
>Isn't that good though?
Yeah, it'd be hilarious. Unlikely, though. Apple might sell overpriced consumer hardware, but they aren't dumb enough to release a phone that can't play music while it charges.
>>
File: 1408811818713.png (220KB, 686x600px) Image search: [Google]
1408811818713.png
220KB, 686x600px
THUNDERBOLT IS INTEL
NOT APPLE

JESUS
FUCKING
CHRIST
EDUCATE
YOURSELVES

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_%28interface%29
>>
>>45243459
6 year old Unibody Macbook pro reporting in. Still running pretty well. I may be unable to have children now because I did use it on my lap, but it's all good apart from that.
>>
>>45245181
Good for the user:
>usb
>capacitive screens
>firewire
>no carrier bloat
>multitouch trackpads
>magnetic charger plug
>backlit keyboards
>SSDs (they pushed them like crazy with the Airs)
>thunderbolt

Off the top of my head.

All these features were highly unusual (well, maybe with the exception of SSDs), or at best not mainstream, until Apple shilled them.

Some are still unmatched, like iPhone's no-carrier-bloat policy, even when buying in contract with carrier subsidy.
>>
>>45245247
>"look guys, I don't know shit about basic electronics"
In an oversimplification so it gets through your thick little skull, the battery "draws" power from the charger, the charger doesn't "push" power into the battery.

What you described is impossible.
>>
>>45245479
Don't forget retina panels.
>>
>>45245527
Kek
>>
>>45245432
> co-developed by Apple and Intel. Apple registered Thunderbolt as a trademark, but later transferred the mark to Intel, which held overriding intellectual-property rights.

okay I am educated now, thanks
>>
File: pic_1384452237_6.jpg (32KB, 500x546px) Image search: [Google]
pic_1384452237_6.jpg
32KB, 500x546px
>>45245549
you're welcome anon
>>
>>45245525
>He doesnt understand voltage
KEK
>>
>>45242879

no it must be a conspiracy
>>
>>45245479
>usb
Not just Apple.
>capacitive screens
While they did popularize them, they also popularized touch only devices which are a cancer.
>firewire
Never really caught on.
>no carrier bloat
No carrier bloat, yes. But they fill it with manufacturer bloat instead.
>multitouch trackpads
Kinda, yea.
>magnetic charger plug
Absolutely. Even now only Microsoft uses magnetic chargers.
>backlit keyboards
Not Apple.
>SSDs (they pushed them like crazy with the Airs)
Not Apple. They don't even offer them in most models.
>thunderbolt
Good to see them push this, but we are still unsure of where it will go.
>>
>>45243252
>Android goes up, Apple goes down
>Apple goes up, Android goes down
Really interesting how to market shifts and reacts.
>>
>>45245644
>But they fill it with manufacturer bloat instead.
Apple fills manufacturer bloat?
Come on, you can't be that biased.

Comapred to what is iOS / OS X bloated?
>>
File: Website_Full.png (4MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Website_Full.png
4MB, 1000x1000px
>>45242814
>Has been confirmed that the first headphones to become part of this project will be the new "Beats By Apple" featuring with a brand new logo.
Thread posts: 231
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.