[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the verge suck now? Also: Where does /g/ get their tech news?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: verge.png (44KB, 580x521px) Image search: [Google]
verge.png
44KB, 580x521px
Does the verge suck now?

Also: Where does /g/ get their tech news?
>>
>now
>>
The verge has always sucked, it's about shitty consumer tech and not actual technology (of course, shitty consumer tech is probably all you care about, you useless fucking cunt).

If you want to learn about actual technology and not just what new plastic lumps one of three different companies have started shitting out, try slashdot or hacker news (although HN is overrun with greedy faggot startup kids).
>>
>now
>>
>>44725110

> caring about what gay, hipster, tech illiterate 'user-as-a-consumer' fuckheads have to say
>>
>>44725268

Also, you will be banned f/ HN is you mention anything anti-Apple, or anti-hipster abstraction framework, or anti-Javascript
>>
>Also: Where does /g/ get their tech news?

someone answer plz
>>

My RSS feed has Ars Technica, Lillyputting and Recode which covers most of the new. I sometimes lurk /r/Technology (minus the leddit comments)
>>
>>44725659

Engadget.

All the iFaggots left it and founded iVerge, leaving only the good guys behind.
>>
>>44725110
ars technica
g
MIT tech review
>>
I just use Hacker News at this point. Is there anything else that is worthwhile?
>>
>now
They turned shit as soon as they hit the mainstream media. It's like they stopped trying.
>>
>>44725110
>Does the verge suck now?
It always sucked. It has merely gotten worse.

Arstechnica for life fuckers.
>>
I actually use /g/ at this point. Verge is shit now that they're giant SJW faggots that blindly defend Apple and said the Nexus 5 was shit because the buttons "were made of ceramic, for whatever that's worth".
>>
http://www.eetimes.com/
http://spectrum.ieee.org/
http://semimd.com/
http://www.siliconsemiconductor.net/
http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/
http://www.realworldtech.com/

You're probably not going to understand it all, but the only advice I can give you is to just dive in balls deep. Sites like The Verge are dime a dozen marketing outlets with barely any technical worth. They're reviewers and marketers for consumer products. If you want to actually understand the circuitry in the product, and learn about the industry then you have to read industry news.

spectrum.ieee is pretty pop sci though, but its worth while still.
>>
The Verge have always been shit

They suck major Apple dick too
>>
I use phoronix, Engadget, ars technica, sometimes leddit
>>
>>44725937
arstechnica is literally kotaku of tech sites.
>>
File: 1412909797542.png (1MB, 1024x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1412909797542.png
1MB, 1024x1008px
The Verge is about how things feel, and their impact on your life. The way they write clearly shows they want you to have an experience while reading and they want to tell you their experience with various things, on a personal level.

If you don't want that, definitely don't visit their site.
>>
how's anandtech since he left?
>>
>>44725110
It's shit. Horrible site design, uselessly short RSS feed, constant feminist push pieces, and a reviewer blatantly flipflopping on square watches after the iWatch came out.

>>44728504
Actually an interesting 3-page read.
>>
>>44725110
Here's an idea: don't read any tech news.
>>
>>44728988
feminist push pieces? more like anti-sexist articles.

go home you conservative douche
>>
>>44728919
He only left recently, so it's not like the quality of the entire site has changed so much in such little time.
>>
Verge (who polygon "split" from, but is still owned by the same parent company), and Arse technica are both piece of shit liberal hell holes, where technology is more about consumerism than actual advancements in the technological sector. Be wary of that hyper PC shit.
>>
>>44725986
>I actually use /g/ at this point
Dear lord

>Verge is shit now that they're giant SJW faggots that blindly defend Apple and said the Nexus 5 was shit because the buttons "were made of ceramic, for whatever that's worth".
>and said the Nexus 5 was shit because the buttons "were made of ceramic, for whatever that's worth".
Not to excuse The Verge, but you're taking some guy's opinion of a bad phone too seriously
>>
>>44729052
>where technology is more about consumerism than actual advancements in the technological sector.
What do you expect when the people who care about technology really care about consumer products?
>>
tech "news" blogs are cancer.
>>
>>44725659
/g/
Heartbleed, shellshock, Os X launch, etc.
It's always here before I can can read it in other parts
>>
>>44729081
Let's be real here; we love hearing about technology breakthroughs and improvements--but don't you get a boner when watching a diginews video and finding out the technology will soon be available at a consumer-based level?
>>
>>44729304
Meant "diginfo TV"
>>
>>44725110
I thought the verge was a joke site like the onion, only more subtle.
>>
>>44729352
If only this was true
>>
>>44729304
Not really, but you're asking the wrong guy
>>
>>44725110
Yes the Verge sucks. Read their Passport "review", see their Apple pandering today, and read just their Twitter to see how low they've sunk.

Ars is my last holdout for mobile reviews, but if I see one more bullshit article about Gamergate, that'll be it.
>>
>>44729304

It really depends on who you are. If you're some pleb tiered professional who's conversations revolve around iPads, 'the cloud', and other consumer level shit than those "news" outlets are for you.

If you're a true computer science professional than you're reading white papers and other more serious websites.
>>
>>44729433
>mobile reviews
for what purpose
>>
>>44729433
>but if I see one more bullshit article about Gamergate, that'll be it.
Give it a day or two.
>>
>>44729433
>I see one more bullshit article about Gamergate, that'll be it.
Might as well stop visiting the site then
>>
>now
Its always been shit.
Topolsky is shit
>>
>>44729480
I feel they do a solid job when it comes to written reviews. Otherwise, I still have the Pocketnow gang, Lisa, and Marques.
>>
>>44729629
no, why would you read them
>>
They've always been almost consistently shit.

No information hipsterism aplenty.
>>
>>44729017
Keep fighting that straw man, SJW. I'm sure you'll win against those evil "sexists".

Here's a tip: the next time you're reading one of those "anti-sexist articles", filter out the logical fallacies, hate speech, and threats. There won't be much left.
>>
>>44729753
You could say the same for the opposition
>>
>>44729433
>Ars is my last holdout for mobile reviews, but if I see one more bullshit article about Gamergate, that'll be it.
At least they're reasonably infrequent and ignorably bland about it. The Verge browbeats you with rabid whiteknighting every few days.
>>
>>44729768
"Opposition"?

GamerGate was about media ethics and indie developers.

Anti-GamerGate is the result of the implicated media companies spinning and deflecting the discussion with the biggest straw man I think I've ever seen. Instead of answering or even acknowledging legitimate criticisms, they've shut down the discussion by playing a hyper-feminist victim card because there was a woman involved. Quite the ironic twist, IMO. They raised a viral army of SJWs who eat up their own bullshit, but can't produce a single coherent argument because they don't even know what they're actually fighting against.

What the fuck opposition are you even talking about? Internet trolls, seriously?

Here's an exercise for you: come up with a short list articles that you feel represent your position in a professional manner. Now come up with a short list of articles from the "opposition". You're going to have to perform a lot of mental gymnastics, buddy.
>>
>>44725110
those kikes were never good.
>>
If you don't like Verge then you are probably one of those gamergate shitbabies.
>>
Verge hires some of the most biased and zero-sum people I've ever seen in writing.
What's funny is that they parrot pro-Apple, but signed a long-term deal with Microsoft for product advertising.
It doesn't help that half their staff is 100% hipster-tier.
Their coverage of the USS Gerald Ford was flawed, something I didn't take to kindly to. They don't get their facts right half the time, and sometimes don't bother researching topics before shitting out a piece (not a news article, mind you: a long piece).

It attracts the common denomination of hipsters and Apple lovers.
Anyone smart enough would avoid them, and their sister sites within Vox Media, immediately.
>>
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Verge officially became shit when Josh was pushed out.
>>
>>44730413
>The Verge officially became shit when Josh was pushed out.
Wait what?
>>
>>44730427
Even if Josh shat on everything not-Apple, he also shat on Apple.
He was a dickhead but knew how to run a media site so that it didn't alienate too many people with biased viewpoints stretching across many different pieces. He saw things based on features, merit, and innovation first, not brand-name.
Now it's a different tune, with Nilay Patel as Chief. He is decidedly partisan.
>>
>>44730451
This.
>>
>>44725110
Adrianne Jeffries left in early October, Thomas Houston left yesterday. Josh Topolsky left eons ago, so yeah, it sucks now.

RIP Verge c. 2011-20420
>>
>>44729000
Anon makes a good point.

Why waste precious time that could be spent wearing a fedora?
>>
>>44730451
Fuck Nilay "rekt" Patel
>>
>>44725834
>ars technica
>left leaning to intolerable levels
>lacking deep reporting
>mainly consumer focus
All that time wasted.
>>
File: absolute_idiot.png (54KB, 1040x575px) Image search: [Google]
absolute_idiot.png
54KB, 1040x575px
A combination of three things made me give up on The Verge about a month ago. The occasional good long-form article kept me subscribed to the site, but this was the final fucking straw.

>GamerGate
No explanation necessary.

>"Hack Week"
This was some sort of "experiment" they did with BuzzFeed-style quizzes and list articles. Not even Gizmodo's clickbait is this blatant.

>David Pierce
Holy shit, fuck David Pierce. Fuck that enormous fucking clown. I have no idea why he still has a job.

Pic related. He downloaded the leaked copy of The Expendables 3, and proudly wrote an article about how he'd watched the movie twice and how amazing it was. He then watched it in a theater, and wrote another article where he called it one of the worst action films he'd ever seen. This is the indecisive fucking idiot who's in charge of almost every review at The Verge.
>>
http://hackaday.com/ is my favorite tech site
>>
>>44730677
Adrianne Jeffries made me consider if I was sexist because I hate her unconditionally
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.