[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /g/ use NSA logic when deciding what software they and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 7

File: g-is-no-better-than-nsa.png (90KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
g-is-no-better-than-nsa.png
90KB, 1600x1600px
Why does /g/ use NSA logic when deciding what software they and other people should use?
>>
>>43609497
>>43609497
We are not infringing on anyone's rights by not using their software, so this analogy is broken. Enjoy the rest of middle school.
>>
Hey OP, let me tell you why apples are better than oranges.
>>
>>43609536
There is no such thing as "rights"
>>
>>43609552
NSA pls
>>
>>43609552
But can you really argue that these are the same thing?
>>
>>43609497
Software doesn't have a right to be used.
I have a right not to be spied on.
>>
>>43609552
Ah, a first year philosophy student. This explans much.
>>
>>43609567
>>I have a right not to be spied on.

According to who? A piece of paper? You also have a "right" to not be murdered, but anybody can come murder you if they want.
>>
>>43609497
Fail thread is fail.
I bet OP spent more than 10 minutes prepping for is thread debut, too, which makes it even more hilarious.

>inb4 butthurt OP starts crying
>>
File: consider.png (148KB, 340x495px) Image search: [Google]
consider.png
148KB, 340x495px
But I don't treat all closed-source software as potential botnets.

However, open-source software have infinitely smaller chances of being botnets. That's why I choose them.
>>
Because pieces of software aren't citizens . . . ?
>>
File: jews in space.webm (871KB, 480x204px)
jews in space.webm
871KB, 480x204px
Nice try Schlomo
>>
>I can't possibly understand why different things would follow different logic
>>
According to /g/, uTorrent is a botnet, and we still have no proof of that.
>>
Its like building your house on another person's property.

Even if they aren't botnets its still scary
>>
>>43609587
Supreme court case that declared that people have a right to privacy. Google the supreme court condom case.
Supreme court rulings are equivalent to constitutional amendments.
>>
>trusting proprietary software with your data
>trusting the NSA with your data
>>
>>43609776
>Supreme court rulings are equivalent to constitutional amendments.

Uhh, that's so fucking wrong I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>43609776
The Constitution means jack shit. The US government doesn't even abide by it when its convenient.

Again, there are no such things as "rights." You're being fooled into thinking you have "rights" so that you won't resist oppression due to the false assurance that you are protected.

The only thing that exists is the laws of nature, where you must defend yourself tooth and nail if you want to survive. "Rights" only make you into soft, mushy complacent victims of people with more money, power, and strength than you.
>>
>>43609831
>>>/pol/
>>
>Listening to autistic retards on /g/ when they tell you you should or shouldn't do something
>>
>>43609831
>The Constitution means jack shit.
Reality says otherwise.
>Again, there are no such things as "rights.
Yes there are.

Go out and murder someone and see how what will happen.
>>
>>43609831
I'll admit that I'm not that well-read in the classics of bullshit.

So, can someone tell me what bullshit classic he's recently read and is regurgitating here? Is this Rand or something?
>>
>>43609497
False equivalency.
>>
>>43609869
>>Go out and murder someone and see how what will happen.

People can murder somebody and get away with it if they have enough money, power, and influence.

Again, "rights" don't mean anything in the real world.
>>
>>43609895
>People can murder somebody and get away with it if they have enough money, power, and influence.
Irrelevant.

>Again, "rights" don't mean anything in the real world.
Go out and murder someone then and see what happens.
>>
>>43609831
Stalin pls go
>>
>>43609497
With propriatary software, especially post-snowden, we must assume that it all has backdoors/spying until proven otherwise, not the other way around.
>>
>>43609874
He's just spewing typical teenage anarcho-nihilist crap. Sage (and possibly report for shitposting?) if you're going to post
>>
>>43609831
>>The only thing that exists is the laws of nature, where you must defend yourself tooth and nail if you want to survive. "Rights" only make you into soft, mushy complacent victims of people with more money, power, and strength than you.

This guy is telling the truth. Some of you need to grow up.
>>
>>43609497
Those statements use absolutely different logic, you fucking retard. Go away.
>>
>>43609943
You both seem to be misinformed what rights actually are, no one has said they're some magical shield that protects you from harm.
They are a system that gives you the "tooth and nail" to better protect yourself with, it acts both as an overall deterrent and gives you a legal system and process to use when fighting for your survival.
>>
>>43609979
>They are a system that gives you the "tooth and nail" to better protect yourself with, it acts both as an overall deterrent and gives you a legal system and process to use when fighting for your survival.

Except that system can be bypassed if somebody has enough money, influence, power, and resolve to get to you. Hell, even the government can do whatever they want by just telling you that you have rights and then ignoring them just so you have that false sense of security when shit goes down.
>>
>>43609497
There you go trying to use logic with these fags again. When will you learn that the logic center of their brains does not exist, like women?
>>
I have to admit, this is flawless logic.
>>
>>43610073
>Except that system can be bypassed if somebody has enough money, influence, power, and resolve to get to you.
And anyone can bypass your private home security - again, no one said it was perfect.
But if you wanna side step the official legal system and do it on your own I'll bid you good luck - you'll need it - it requires a lot more resources and man power to create your own sovereignty.
>>
>>43610110
Logic? Maybe.
Premises? No.
Connections between the two sets? Definitely no.
>>
>>43610197
The logic is all that matters here.
>>
>>43609497
/g/ calls software botnets that are actually botnets

chrome sends every keystroke you type into the address bar to google.

EVERY KEYSTROKE.

So... have fun with not only your fallacious analogy, but your misunderstanding of the arguments you've been reading on here the whole time.
>>
>>43610341
>>/g/ calls software botnets that are actually botnets

What are uTorrent and Foobar2000

/g/ doesn't know shit most of the time.
>>
>>43610341
Wow look how much I care.
[spoiler]I don't[/spoiler]
>>
>>43610360
Yes, there are idiots that just randomly parrot and mutate memes in order to MAX TROLL FOR THE LULZ.

Deal with it.

Regarding uTorrent, a good piece of software that went commercial and got shit really quick with toolbar addons and other monetization bullshit.

Regarding Foobar2000, a mediocre media player that never caught on except among hipsters who have to be different from their friends, even though they aren't smart enough to use something other than a GUI executable program that they downloaded from the internet.

Both are irrelevant to my ecosystem
>>
>>43610406
You may not care, but you're still an idiot.
>>
>>43610409
>Regarding Foobar2000, a mediocre media player

OK now you are full of shit.
>>
>>43610420
I'm an idiot because I'm not bothered by something?
OK.
>>
>>43610458
No, you're an idiot because you feel the need to post about not caring, proving that you do care and are also deeply insecure because not caring would actually equate to inaction rather than posting about it.

>>43610452
>>43610452
I tried it. It was mediocre unless you actually keep around MP3 collections in 2014... who does that anyway?
>>
>>43610483
>It was mediocre unless you actually keep around MP3 collections in 2014... who does that anyway?

Foobar2000 is unmatched for FLAC.
>>
>>43610452
Also, my entire music colllection is mp4 music videos that I ripped off of youtube... otherwise... streaming services... I downloaded my first mp4 in 1996. I saw Napster as the beginning of the end.
>>
>>43610495
FLAC, OGG, whatever. I can play all that on my default media player without having to deal with your hipster bullshit

>>43610499
*mp3
>>
>>43610483
ok, kid
>>
>>43609831
And I protect my hide with my nugget.

Basic kevlar is not very effective against higher powered rifles. And niggerigged explosives aren't difficult if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>43609906
>Go out and murder someone then and see what happens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsolved_murder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War
>>
>>43609497
I'm not forcing anyone else not the use closed-source software.
>>
>>43610526
ok, faggot
>>
people have rights, software doesn't
>>
>>43609831
>I am a Neo Nazi shithead.
kill yourself
>>
>>43609552

ooh u so edjee ^_^
>>
>>43610549
>>I'm not forcing anyone else not the use closed-source software.

But you preach it on /g/ like the NSA preaches spying.
>>
>>43609552
How's the 8th grade going anon?
>>
That's not /g/ logic

You can tell if something is a botnet by putting it in a VM and monitoring network traffic
>>
>>43610596
>telling people that "rights" are a myth is nazism

lel what a liberal faggot
>>
>>43609831
Rights exist where other people let you have them. They do this expecting that you'll return the favor.

If you don't, they stop treating you like you have rights and throw you in jail and possibly execute you.

There you go. Rights! No god in heaven giving everyone a little badge that says "Dude, don't shoot me! I have a right to live!", just a SOCIAL CONTRACT that depends on mutual respect over all other things, because two men working together will live better and easier lives than one man and a corpse.
>>
>>43610695
>Rights exist where other people let you have them. They do this expecting that you'll return the favor

That's called a privilege.
>>
>>43610715
No, it's called a right. Privilege does not demand reciprocation to be in effect.
>>
>>43610663
I don't mind the NSA preaching spying, they can preach away to their heats content, i have never objected to the NSA's right to speech, can you see how there is a difference between preaching something and forcing something on people?
>>
>>43610715
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>43610663
Preaching != forcing. /g/ doesn't force their views on others. Keep sliding it, NSA
>>
>>43610725
Addendum-

Privileges are typically small scale, while rights form the basis for a whole society. People who violate them are ejected from society by the majority who don't.
>>
>>43610733
ok, kid.
>>
>>43610695
>Rights! No god in heaven giving everyone a little badge that says "Dude, don't shoot me! I have a right to live!", just a SOCIAL CONTRACT that depends on mutual respect over all other things, because two men working together will live better and easier lives than one man and a corpse.

That's called a privilege. The other man is giving you the privilege of not killing you and taking your shit.
>>
I like not having to wear a tinfoil hat
>>
NSA logic:
We must deny freedom by spying on people

/g/ logic:
We must protect freedom by not using non-free software

It's called freedom and /g/ likes it, unlike the NSA. Regardless of "constitution" or "rights"

Now fuck off back to your school.
>>
>>43611065
>/g/ likes freedom
>says you shouldn't use closed source software

Freedom means we can use any software we want, closed or open-source.
>>
NSA, please learn to make proper analogies.
This is just plain shit.
>>
>>43611090
No faggot, freedom has nothing to do with choice.

Freedom is a state where no one is enslaved.
>>
File: dd395-worship (site).jpg (59KB, 576x504px) Image search: [Google]
dd395-worship (site).jpg
59KB, 576x504px
typical freetard on /g/ logic
>you can use any software you want unless it is closed source because muh freedom

Democrat logic:
>you can have free speech unless it is bigoted, sexist, racist, homophobic, etc because muh political correctness.

Why are freetards on /g/ using liberal logic?
>>
>>43609497
>comparing people to software
Get out NSA
>>
>>43611090
>le freedom to be enslaved
If you choose to be a slave, you're still a slave.
>>
>>43611191
>implying closed source is always slavery
>>
>>43611182
Anyone may choose to use non-free software. If you use this freedom to choose non-free software you make yourself non-free.

It's the same as saying "I have the freedom to sell myself to slavery"
>>
>>43611182
Except we want everyone to be free to express their opinions even if they were racist , sexist etc.
>>
>>43611269
>>Except we want everyone to be free to express their opinions even if they were racist , sexist etc.

You know the FSF is a liberal organization, right? You'd be kicked out for racism and sexism.
>>
>>43611259
>restricting free flow of information
>cannot modify software you purchase and own
>not slavery
>>
>>43611279
It's racism if you refuse to hire a nigger just cause he is black, as that's an act of denying freedom. Totally within freespeech to use the word nigger though.
>>
>>43611297
Do you own an Intel processor?
>>
>>43611308
No, why?
>>
>>43611279
THIS

Daily reminder GNU movement had joined the SJW and feminists online

daily reminder your hypernerd god RMS is a literal jude and is showing his colors
>>
>>43609552
War.
>>
>>43611305
>It's racism if you refuse to hire a nigger just cause he is black, as that's an act of denying freedom.

Why can't I have the freedom not to hire niggers? What if I want MY store to be nigger free?

See? You freetards are basically Democrats.
>>
>>43611359
Then you put out a sign saying only white people allowed first, like movies can "only hire" white people since they fit the role.
>>
>>43611372
But then you'd put me in jail like the Democrats would put people in jail for that today.
>>
>>43611387
democrats and liberals are not libertarians. There is a difference.
>>
>>43611390
Yes, and GNUtards are not libertarians since they would criminalize racism.
>>
>>43611390
You think you'll be anle to teach these ameritards anything about politics?
>>
>>43611400
Okay, I am not a GNU tard, but I support free software, If the FSF has as non-freedom respecting policy then I would be against that policy, but their free software policy is spot on in protecting liberty.

>>43611403
Better to try, at least then you can say you tried.
>>
>>43611400
>Yes, and GNUtards are not libertarians since they would criminalize racism.
What are you talking about?
>>
>>43611415
He is confusing FSF with EFF.
>>
>>43611415
The FSF is basically SJW in every respect. It's Marxist, if anything.
>>
>>43611419
>>He is confusing FSF with EFF.

The FSF hires people to promote anti-racism, anti-homophobia, anti-sexism, etc.

It is a very much an extremist liberal organization.
>>
>>43609895
>money, power, and influence

I hate it when /pol/ spills over. You're acting just like a butthurt liberal right now. Please stop this idiocy.
>>
>>43611427
Please cite where they were, as people here don't seem to know what you are talking about.

>>43611432
There is a difference between racism and free speech. When you say anti-sexist, it means they don't want to say "women only belong in the kitchen". If a woman wants to stay in the kitchen, fine, but she has the right to work too.
>>
>>43611297
>>43611267
yes, exactly like selling yourself into slavery... except you can walk out any time you want, and nobody tells you to do anything, and you can use it for your own personal gain with no losses, and the people "enslaving" you gain practically nothing... oh wait, it's not like slavery at all, is it?

if you're going to use a metaphor, at least make it a decent one. It's more like renting an apartment or house than anything.
>>
>>43611485
>Gain practically nothing
if you use more than 20 windows computers to connect to a printer, you have to pay extra money etc.

>Except you can walk out anytime you want
Okay, I don't want to be a slave to photoshop, I want to read the source code please..oh wait.
>inb4 stop using photoshop

No, then I am enslaved since I don't have the choice to use what I want.
>>
File: fsf-is-a-marxist-organisation.png (101KB, 742x742px) Image search: [Google]
fsf-is-a-marxist-organisation.png
101KB, 742x742px
>>43611459
>Please cite where they were
>>
>>43611519
Please, tell me where he has promoted that propaganda using the fsf, an fsf newsletter etc.
>>
>>43611517
>enslaved because you don't want to leave

God damn, are you really that weak willed?

I can't paint the walls to my apartment
>onoes, I'm a slave

Can't own a cat because landlord says no animals
>onoes, I'm a slave

Can't tear down the walls of my apartment because I want to check the "source code" and make sure there aren't any bugs
>onoes, I'm so enslaved
>>
File: 1397391284799.png (55KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1397391284799.png
55KB, 1200x1200px
>Linux autists
>>
>>43611560
Lol I actually made that image. They say both of those things all the time.
>>
>>43611559
>implying I support freedom denying shit landlords
>actually liking to cuckold to other people
>SO WEAK CANT TAKE IT UP THE ASS
It seems you are the weak willed person here.

>I can't paint the walls in my apartment
I can do it just fine, I have to pay for it of course.

>Can't tear down the walls
I can, I will have to pay for it of course, otherwise I am just stealing the landlords property

>can't own a cat becoz landlord sayz so :_:
Which shithole do you live in?
>>
>>43611572

I'm doing a B. IT at uni, you have no idea how many of these spergs brag about their new Arch distros and how great it is compared to Windows, and how much better it will be once they actually learn how to use it...
>>
>>43611588
Just saying, I don't actually want to do any of those things, I don't care enough about the colors of my walls, and don't even want a cat, but I'm not fucking enslaved because I can't have one right now. Hell I could walk out today if I really wanted to.

But for some reason you freetards seem to think that people expecting you to pay for shit they put work in to and not wanting you to be able to look at the code and make a "different enough" version to be able to sell it yourselves qualifies as slavery when it's not even close. You guys seem to have something akin to a mental disability.
>>
>>43611645
>You guys seem to have something akin to a mental disability.

They are like Democrats, so that makes sense.
>>
>>43611645
If you don't want them, don't do it. But here is the thing, if you ever changed your mind, you could, that is what's freedom.

No, most freetards don't actually do it for the money, you clearly are one of those brainwashed fanatics.
>>
>>43611662
>if you ever changed your mind, you could
but I like where I am now, and if I have to leave to get a cat or paint my walls, I'm a slave.

source:
>>43611517
>>43611588

>brainwashed fanatics
What?
I don't even know where you're coming from on here, I use mostly free, mostly open source software. Not because I'm afraid of some stupid "botnet" or "snowden" those software just tend to be the ones that are better for my purposes.
>>
>>43609587
According to me, dumbfag, i've earn it by using encryption, not using botnet and disconnect my machine with sensitive data.

I also have gates and locks that give me rights not to get robbed.

From where i live, i even have rights to run over people, because i've earn it by bribing the right people.

What can you do about it?
>>
>>43611703
Your false premise here is that you live in a free country. Yes, so you are a slave, I never said you are not. . But you don't fight it cause you are a submissive faggot who thinks being submissive is being strong willed.
>>
>>43611703
What do you "non-freetards" want?

Freedom? clearly not.
Progress? clearly not, good proprietary software is the exception rather than the rule.
>>
>>43611738
Oh that's so strange, I suddenly see all the slavery around me, I'm being forced to live in my apartment and use windows, steam, and photoshop. If I ever stop, the slavedriver is going to whip me until I switch back to windows, steam, and photoshop, and if I continue to refuse, he's going to shoot me. He already has the gun to my head just in case.

Oh wait, that's not the case at all, and you're full of shit
>>
>>43611560
I thought people always said "Go back to windows, you have baby duck syndrome"?
>>
>>43611765
I want to use what works. If what works happens to be proprietary, then so be it. like I said, usually it's not, but I'm not going to ignore the fact that steam, or winrar exist because I want to "make a statement" or "be free" or whatever the fuck you guys are trying to do. Those programs work, so they're what I use.
>>
>>43611773
>If you try to use windows, photoshop the way microsoft and adobe doesn't want you to, you will be put in a cage. [according to the law, since they have copy"right"]

Seems like slavery to me.
>>
>>43611783
No, they say "Go back to Windows. It's made for retards like you"
>>
>>43611803
>whatever the fuck you guys are trying to do

Let me know when you finish high school.
>>
>>43611730
>From where i live, i even have rights to run over people, because i've earn it by bribing the right people

of course you don't have any right when you live in Somalia. try moving to a civilized country
>>
>>43609831

This guy is a realist. This is reality. Reality is not always pretty.

I'm not an American but..
If the constitution really is legitimate, then what about new gun laws, magazine limiations, you don't have a right to bear arms.
What about gag orders and secret subpoena's, you have no free speech.
What about Gitmo?
>>
>>43611805
what way they don't want me to?
by pirating it?
You're denying them pay for something they worked hard on, seems fine to me
by digging through whatever source you can get your hands on?
I've literally never heard of someone getting jailed for digging through the source code on proprietary software. People have gotten jailed for digging through the source and then replicating it and selling it, people have gotten jailed for digging through the source replicating it and giving it away for free. People have not gotten jailed for just looking at it.
and if you really have a problem with that, go use an open source alternative. But wait, apparently you can't do that because if you use it, you're suddenly a slave and can't leave

>>43611831
three years in to uni. I like how your excuse for anyone disagreeing with your twisted world view is that they must be underage, though. It's so original.
>>
>>43609869
>Reality says otherwise.

It seems you observe reality through the printed press, google news and CNN.

You are disconnected from reality.
>>
>>43611858
pretty nice down here, no guns, things are cheap, drug laws are loose, natives still use blow dart as weapon, nature every where, fiber internet, piracy bootleg shop everywhere, prostitute is cheap, land are cheap enough to have my own farm, no pollution, google maps are still 7 years older.
>>
>>43609497
But we don't spy on the users, like the NSA does.
The closed source botnets do that.

We merely advise people to ditch that because it's actually the proprietary software that is the other NSA here.
>>
>>43609666
Are you retarded ? Why would you ever use uTorrent ? It's the worst client ever.
>>
>>43609552
>"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."
?The Creed's maxim
>>
>>43609552
You must be fun to play games with.

>it's not against the rules
>there are no rules
>you can't stop someone that wants to break the rules
>>
>>43613421
>The closed source botnets do that.

The ones you make up?
>>
>>43609497
for me it has very little to do with the threat of botnets, but the adaptability of software
you can compile it with everything you need and leave things you dont want out
you can include own code or get extensions from other people. Same reason Android is so popular
>>
File: 1363194190729.jpg (18KB, 185x180px) Image search: [Google]
1363194190729.jpg
18KB, 185x180px
>>43609608
dance nkingo
>>
Most people on /g/ don't understand what closed source means and what a botnet is.
>>
>>43609552
As far as I know, and I'm not even murrican, the Constitution clearly states what are the rights for every US Citizen.
>>
>>43614258
no, the ones that are included.
>>
>>43615352
>being this delusional
>>
>>43614621
Yeah, but why are those the rights they have, and not something completely different?

On what basis are these rights taken or intrinsically had?
>>
>>43609497
Well, ethic aside, NSA was doing pretty well, why wouldn't /g/'s logic work just as well? At least /g/'s ways are not that harmful to others.
>>
>>43615843
>being this gullible
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.