[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Unpaid internship >Previous experience required

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 58

>Unpaid internship

>Previous experience required
>>
I don't know of any other line of work that requires unpaid experience before you can even get an entry level position for minimum wage.
>>
I understand unpaid internships but how can they even require that you have previous experience? I thought the purpose for an intern was to gain experience they don't have.
>>
>>43323662
> MCSE, RHCE, CCNP and Bachelors required
> 5 years in a network support environment required

> Junior Network Engineer role
> 30k
>>
And remember: you have to be THANKFUL when someone ALLOWS you to gain work experience (read: work for free).
>>
>5 years of Swift experience
>can literally get any job I want
>>
>>43323696
It's because IT has become a saturated job market, too many people know too much so the bar of entry has been inflated and raised to astronomical heights. In the next 10 years I wouldn't be surprised if I saw

> Junior Desktop Support
> Masters Degree + RHCE, MCSE, CCNP, All A+ certifications, Juniper Certifications, VM Certifications required
> 10 years experience in the role required
> Fluency in French, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Klingon, Elvish, Afrikaans, Korean essential for candidates to stand out among the crowd.
> 16k starting
>>
File: wat.png (48KB, 756x669px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
48KB, 756x669px
>>43323768
>16k starting

I think you're all over-exaggerating a bit.
>Pic related. One of the first internships I found.
>>
>>43323713
this can't be real
what country is this?
>>
File: kill self6.jpg (60KB, 694x448px) Image search: [Google]
kill self6.jpg
60KB, 694x448px
>>43323696
The best part is that many places don't even accept unpaid internships as experience anymore.

>paid experience only
>>
File: 1406787411374.png (284KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
1406787411374.png
284KB, 600x558px
>working for free
>not being a hikki and collecting autism bucks
>>
>>43323662

problem goyim?
>>
>>43323746
It's very very tough to get IT jobs without connections or experience. If you have neither, you can get experience by doing an internship. If you're not willing to do an internship, the only other way is to be an independant consultant and have a good marketing strategy.
>>
>>43323788
United States, Boston.
I forgot Security Clearance required.
I can't get it because I'm a foreign national.
>>
>>43323801

Not everyone lives in Finland where you can get free money.
>>
>>43323788
AAAAMEEERIIIICAAAAAAA~
>>
>>43323820
fucking disgusting
you should be paid a bare minimum of 50k with those certs and a degree, especially in Boston
>>
>>43323820
They contractor must suck. CACI and General Dynamics have sane requirements as far as I've seen.
>>
>>43323864
>$80,000/yr internship
>no experience necessary
>only requirement is god tier algorithms

So why haven't you applied for a Silicon Valley internship yet?
>>
>>43323863
>50k
I'm pretty sure you can make more than that just by getting certified to drive a truck with a Class A Commercial license.
>>
>No degree
>Working as Learning Eco-system Support and Solutions Manager for major university
>90k starting
>Get a degree in engineering on the side at said university.

Life is great.
>>
>>43323889
I assumed he was talking about government contracting since he mentioned security clearances, so I mentioned other contracting firms. Of course working for a company pays more, but that's not what he was talking about.
>>
File: pepe.png (96KB, 813x799px)
pepe.png
96KB, 813x799px
>>43323863
Doesn't matter, I don't have a degree.
I'm actually a CCIE and MCSE. I moved over here to be with my wife.

> Thinking life in the United States would be any better without a useless piece of paper from a dated, super expensive education model institution.
> I'm not even the smartest person working in the KFC restaurant I work in. There's a masters graduate who's been here 2 years longer
>>
>>43323889
>So why haven't you applied for a Silicon Valley internship yet?

Because I'm not a Califag.
>>
>>43323889
Silicon Valley internships are some of the most competitive internships in the entire country chances are if you could land one of them you wouldn't have had problems getting a job once you graduated anyways.
>>
>>43323889
I'm not gay or a women.
>>
File: janitor.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
janitor.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>doing it for free
>>
>>43323918
Sorry, I didn't mean to quote him, I just wanted to open the quick reply dialog.

Seriously though, I don't know what everyone is talking about. Apply to Facebook, Google, Amazon, Twitter, Microsoft, Dropbox, Mozilla, or any one of the dozens of web 3.0 bullshit startups.

Never apply to Joe's Software Consulting and you won't hit the wall of:
>unpaid internship
>requires experience
>>
>>43323927
They will fly you in. All of those companies have relocation packages, and yes, they are even for 3 month interns.
>>
>>43323967
>living in the worst state
>>
File: asr lol.jpg (333KB, 820x808px) Image search: [Google]
asr lol.jpg
333KB, 820x808px
>Unpaid Intership

You deserve this for going into a non-STEM field.
>>
File: NEET.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
NEET.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
I'm a NEET and struggling to get my shit together. I've been planning on going back to school and finishing my bachelors. I was a depraved pot head virgin my last two years of college and got suspended while working a ba in sociology (I fucking hated it) and want to pursue computer science. all this shit scares the hell out of me >>43323696 especially because I am going to have to fight like a dog to succeed in the math courses. should I just an hero?
>>
File: slint-spiderland.jpg (841KB, 1547x1547px) Image search: [Google]
slint-spiderland.jpg
841KB, 1547x1547px
>>43323924
>CCIE
holy fucking shit you have a CCIE and still can't find a fucking job?
nigga what are you doing? what country did you come from?
>>
>>43323929
>if you could land one of them you wouldn't have had problems getting a job

That's not true. The problem with shit tier companies is that they assume that they think experience -> skill. They want 3-5 years experience in the field and assume anyone who has that will be an asset, when in reality, they're just ending up hiring people who at one time or another had a connection or bullshit their way into a company, and dicked around for 3-5 years doing high school-level Java.

The top tier companies don't care about experience, they care about knowledge. If you can wow them with your mastery of algorithms but you've never worked a day in your life, you're in.

These companies require different skillsets to get into. Silicon Valley internships require actual computer science knowledge. Older companies like IBM, Blackberry, etc. require mastery of bullshitting interviews.
>>
>>43323999

>implying stem has it any better
>>
>>43323999
>non-STEM
>unpaid intership
More like dead-end retail jobs.
>>
File: janetlel.jpg (413KB, 1612x1624px) Image search: [Google]
janetlel.jpg
413KB, 1612x1624px
>FOR FREE
>>
>>43324039

All of my college internships paid $30-$40/hr.
>>
>>43324073
what state and what jobs?
>>
>>43324023
>Older companies like IBM, Blackberry, etc. require mastery of bullshitting interviews.
Don't they have hiring managers who are competent enough to gauge a person's skill through an interview?
>>
>>43324023
h-how does a math retard master algorithms? is there any chance for my people?
>>
all internships were not created equal.
>>
>>43323786

Education isn't even important, either, only requires penchant.
>>
>>43323662
>tfw computer engineer
>tfw shit 2.6 GPA
how bad did I fuck up guys? do employers even care much? what are your experiences?
at least I was somehow able to get a pretty sweet internship
>>
>>43324014
work hard bra were all ogona make it. if you can, take the courses that scare you with less than full time courseload. get you on some ADHD pills too
>>
>>43324105
As long as you have a degree no one will ever give a fuck. Plus once you have 3+ years of experience, they'll just call your previous employers as references and probably not even bother to contact your university to confirm your degree - let alone ask what your grades were, which they would need legally need your permission to do.

If it comes up in an interview, just play it off with "Oh I'm not sure exactly, somewhere around a 3" which wouldn't be lying, it'd just be only one sigfig.
>>
>>43324105
>tfw 3.6 computer engineer
>tfw can't get into internship program because little work experience right now
i'd trade you man, gpa really doesn't mean shit after graduation
>>
I'm getting paid 10$ an hour for my internship without previous experience. Better than a burger jerb.
>>
>>43324079

Uhh...all of them?

I've never seen a STEM summer internship that paid less than $3,000 + room/board and travel fees.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 228x221px
>>43324143
>>43324140
t-thanks /g/, we're all going to make it bros I promise
fuck the stress that is engineering classes
>>
>>43324014
>math courses
My university doesn't even require anything beyond Calc 2 (babbys first integral) and Linear Algebra (matrices for dummies) for CS majors.

Unless you're optimizing some algorithm or something you'll never use any math beyond basic algebra while getting your degree. The math you use will vary widely depending on where you get a job afterwards (none for boiler-plate code, extreme for stuff like 3D).
>>
>>43324084
They really don't. But the worst thing about those companies is that the job postings themselves specify the experience, and unless your resume indicates you have that many years experience, then intothetrashitgoes.jpg.

>>43324087
Are you in a decent university? Take data structures and algorithms, and do practice problems. If you can ace the course at a university level, you can be hired at any top tier company. Their interviews (especially for internships) are basically just exams. They will give you some problem and ask you to come up with an algorithm to solve it, then write the code that implements that algorithm on a whiteboard. Then they will ask you the time and space complexity, and have you improve it. Repeat until end of interview.
>>
File: 1397959076559.gif (139KB, 322x367px) Image search: [Google]
1397959076559.gif
139KB, 322x367px
>mfw got a job that pays more than minimum wage after being a NEET for half a century
>>
>>43324144
I know the feeling anon, only getting paid $12 for my game development internship.
>>
>>43323889
>$80,000/yr internship
>$120,000/yr studio apartment rent
>>
>>43323893

A trucker with 20 years of experience makes $120k - $150k
>>
File: hanks.jpg (55KB, 696x554px) Image search: [Google]
hanks.jpg
55KB, 696x554px
>tfw barely graduated from shitty public university
>tfw 24 years old making $170,000 a year
>tfw I only rely on my wit and confidence to bullshit through life
>>
Jesus Christ what do you people do with your lives?

Do you simply go take college classes and pass with average grades while doing nothing else?

Of course you will have a hard time getting a job if all you did was show up to class then go home.

Christ, its fucking easy to get experience in the field if you arnt brain dead. when not attending class or working a part time job I cobbled together a Computer Club at a shitty community college where I set up a free IT service. I fixed student laptops and put that down as experience and got an IT job before I even graduated.

Don't think that simply holding a degree means anything anymore. the only true value in going to college is networking with others in the field and working on projects that add to whatever you are studying.

The world has no use for people who have only done the required material.
>>
>>43324014
Well as an alchoholic who majored in CS (Still lurk here cause of that) and had to rebuild his life from scratch from a DUI and other things, turned his life around in a hard science, it's possible. 2 things you should do, regardless of the knee-jerk responses around here.

1) Go to reddits getstudying and learnmath subreddit. There's good studying tips there for passing the subjects.

2) Find some time to get involved in something that gets you really engaged. Not sitting at your computer, but getting outside and seeing something you do result in a way you like. Seeing what your work will result in and how the math helps is what a lot of college majors miss, so it will help with the math.

/it;s all going to be OK anon, you just need to take sometime to get yourself finding the right path again.
>>
>>43324187
Can I do these interviews even if I don't meet the bullshit requirements they have? I got A+'s in all my CS courses and can easily do the interview problems I always see on the internet, but all the interships in Silicon Valley require like 1 year experience in like 5 languages/hipster frameworks. Should I just lie on my resume and learn the shit before I start the internship?
>>
>>43324194
>game development
I found the problem.

Every high schooler who can write a for loop thinks they want to be a game dev. Game studios can screw over their employees with impunity, because the market is full of clueless programmers who think it will be "omg so awesome :D" to work on games all day.
>>
>>43323889
>80k/year
>livings costs are an extra 20k/year vs rest of the country
>=60k/year internship
>only 10k/year better then elsewhere
>>
>>43323696

Architecture internship is no different and experience of working on some close related fields like urban plannings doesn't even count.

I've been unemployed for over 6 months. Fuck this gay earth
>>
File: 1392710774500.png (698KB, 2064x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1392710774500.png
698KB, 2064x2500px
>>43324014
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I didn't finish high school since I was a fucking idiot and hardly did assignments and procrastinated on important shit until it was too late. I'm 24 now and have been stuck with a low paying cashier job for the last 4 years. I don't even get to use or save up most of my money since it just goes to my parents.

I want to get my GED and go to college for CS, but I live in 'murrika and having to go into debt for something I don't know if I'll actually do well in fucking scares me. Especially when I've basically forgotten everything about math at this point, even the most basic shit like simplifying equations and plotting graphs and shit.

Would someone like me even be able to make it in college?
>>
>>43324218
And what do you do sir?
>>
How DO I collect autism bux?
>>
File: 9thgate_langella_fire.jpg (10KB, 285x266px) Image search: [Google]
9thgate_langella_fire.jpg
10KB, 285x266px
>>43323999
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that you are a narcissistic, arrogant, aspie piece of trash and I hope something bad happens to you.

You are a bad, low quality person and you should feel bad.
>>
>>43324242
this.

i know because i pulled the same shit.

>COOL I CAN MAEK VIDYA!
>take vidya courses
>actually research the industry more
>quickly realize i will be fucked with a toilet brush if I stay in this field.
>being fired after a game, unable to stay at a studio longer than 5 years because they never keep code monkeys
>change major to finance
>much better returns.
>>
>>43324248
>implying an internship at silicon valley won't set you up for just about any job
do you know what an internship is? making money is secondary
>>
>>43324187
>Then they will ask you the time and space complexity, and have you improve it.

are you trolling me? i have no idea what you are on about...and no I live with my parents as a 25 year old man child.
>>
>>43324242
I'm OK with this tho,
Ever since I was I child I have loved video games and computers. And dreamed of making them. I understand that the industry can be a bit abusive to the employees but it's my passion. I love games and I love programming.
>>
You guys must suck pretty hard if you can't find a job in tech.

I've never even applied to a job and have people calling me every damn week.

Of course, I have a public repository with all my open source software, a respectable blog with my technical articles and a few completed past projects at a major freelancing website.
>>
>>43324263
>24
>I don't even get to use or save up most of my money since it just goes to my parents.

You'd better have a damn good reason for doing that.
>>
>>43323662
Don't even apply for shitty jobs.... Or go total rage-out black hat and make a script that fills their database with plausible, qualified, but fake resumes.
>>
>>43324237
>all the interships in Silicon Valley require like 1 year experience in like 5 languages/hipster frameworks
I've done internships at two different SV companies, and I don't think I've ever seen a list of required experience. Definitely none of that "X years of Y framework" bullshit. But then, I mostly handed out my resume at career fairs, instead of applying directly online.
>>
>Get two interns this summer
>They just graduated
>Both are unpaid but were told that many interns continue on at the company into full time jobs
>Boss tells me that they can only hire one and that they'll evaluate both at the end but it's essentially my pick
>Both expect to get hired
>One is hot
I'm highly leaning towards the hot one. Both are about the same level of skill but she's very easy on the eyes, plus it would be nice to have a goddamn female in the office that isn't a 2/10. It would also look good for the company to have more females. Plus she brought donuts last week.

Thoughts?
>>
>>43323940
>gay
>mixed
>live in california
>can't program

I think I might actually have a chance!
>>
OP I honestly don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

> 3rd year with 2.8GPA
> no connections
> 50k/year 12 month internship

My internship advisor was complaining COMPLAINING that not enough students apply to internship program and she has to turn down companies seeking students.
>>
>>43324263
yes, go to community college and ace the classes if you aren't retarded
after two years transfer to public uni, debt for a CS degree is GOOD debt. don't be mistaken. A degree will carry you to the end of your life
>>
>>43324265
I'm a web app developer. I also run my own female fitness training camp business.
>>
File: smoke weed erryday.jpg (22KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
smoke weed erryday.jpg
22KB, 500x499px
>>43324304
I suggest you tell them now and make a game out of it.
See which one can kiss your ass the hardest.
Maybe you'll even get some sexytimes out of it.
>>
File: 1401610863083.png (11KB, 470x454px) Image search: [Google]
1401610863083.png
11KB, 470x454px
>>43324326
>>
Is it possible to get a paid CS internship if you already graduated college and don't have a CS degree? Or is the only route to a job at that stage building a portfolio?
>>
>>43324263
Most schools have you take placement exams to determine what your skill level is in various fields before deciding your courses for your first semester.

Just take the maximum number of credits you can without going into overload (schools normally charge you extra per credit if you overload) and line up the courses so that you fulfill as many requirements as possible. You can easily graduate in three years with a major and minor if you play your cards right, which will save you a years worth of debt.
>>
>>43324297

>talks about how massive his cock is
>never shows cock
>>
>>43324355
it's possible but will be difficult
make sure you have a portfolio with good code
if you have the chance to get an unpaid internship, just go for it. The resume decoration is well worth it.
>>
>>43323696
>>43323768
>computer science
>IT
You realize these have as much to do with each other as NASA and your local mechanic, right?
>>
>>43324263

Khan Academy remedial to GET THAT GED. If your parents won't help by giving you time and support to study, burn their house down and get it in prison, you'll be better off in the long run.

FAFSA loans

part time community college, just enough to qualify for the loans... common core shit that you can transfer to a decent 4 year

live like a fucking hermit-monk on your loans. Thrift shop motherfucker.

Khan Motherfucking Academy

catch the fuck up

CLEP or entrance exam to Precal or Calculus

exploit the system, don't let it exploit you

good luck
>>
>>43324328
Hah and risk the fake good guy persona I put up at work? No thanks.
>>
File: 1383883139455.jpg (100KB, 666x360px)
1383883139455.jpg
100KB, 666x360px
>>43324118
>>43324181
>>43324236

thank you for your input.
>>
>>43324308
>My internship advisor was complaining COMPLAINING that not enough students apply to internship program and she has to turn down companies seeking students.
Why are so many CS students so stupid? You'd think it would be common knowledge that a CS degree without an internship is as worthless as a humanities degree. Hell, it's astonishing that most college students don't realize that they need to get work experience in their field while still in college to make their degree worth anything. Doesn't matter what your major is, if you don't have internship experience, you're fucked.
>>
>>43324379
you do realize a lot of CS majors end up in IT?
>>
>>43323893
Truck drivers actually make quite a bit of money.
>>
File: yui want caek.jpg (85KB, 650x780px) Image search: [Google]
yui want caek.jpg
85KB, 650x780px
>>43324387
No, see, you'll be the good guy by letting them down easy about the impeding firing of one of them.
The rest is up to them, if they know what's good for them.
>>
>>43324389
/sci/ has some good math resources too.
>>
My university gives you paid work experience during your degree (undergrad I think), 6-12 months paid. Only requirement for a lot of the offers is that you don't have a negative GPA and have completed a few subjects.
>>
>>43324420
Yep....

also you should think about *not* going to college... it might not be right for you.

It's years of work that may or may not pay off depending on how you use it.
>>
>>43324364

Mate, if you have a half-respectable portfolio of completed projects companies line up to throw money at you.

Of course if you have never actually developed a single project worth showcasing don't expect anyone to hire you.

I do some pretty mundane shit (Java/Spring/SQL mostly) and have some small side projects in Python, Go and C.

Yes, it's that easy.
>>
>>43324079
All my friends' electrical engineering-related internships in NJ were all about $25/hour.
>>
>>43324386
>If your parents won't help by giving you time and support to study, burn their house down and get it in prison, you'll be better off in the long run.
What's funny is that if it weren't for the felony conviction it would be true. Most prisons have GED programs, plus you get free rent, meals, access to a gym, and don't have to pay for any of it.
>>
File: 9QAK976.png (6KB, 390x470px) Image search: [Google]
9QAK976.png
6KB, 390x470px
>>43324395
>CS degree without an internship is as worthless as a humanities degree
how delusional are you?
>>
>>43324414
Why? SV is starved for CS talent, IT is saturated. Not to mention there's hardly any overlap in training.
>>
>>43324457
You also get raped and turned into trixie's bitch if you don't pick a fight with someone the very first day.
>>
>>43324377
An unpaid internship isnjust a singal to companies that you're desperate and don't really respect yourself. If they see that on your resume, they will know that they can treat you like shit and younwon't complain.
>>
>>43324457
>and don't have to pay for any of it.
how sweet and naive the young are.
maybe not with currency, but that tight little asshole is going to be paying bills left and right
>>
I got a paid internship 2x minimum wage the summer after my freshman year. Still in it actually :)

Started 2 clubs in high school, joined 5 organizations in college including professional engineering fraternity, and started programming in 10th grade. Made a few games on my own, have working knowledge in 12 languages.
>>
>>43324449
Yeah, as I've stated in numerous threads in /g/, tradeskills are extremely underappreciated. You make comparable money to a non-shit bachelor's at the end of your apprentiship, but you won't be riddled with crushing debt and would probably have made considerable money during those years, plus it tends to be a steadier job market. IT gets saturated, CS sometimes gets saturated, hell even EE sometimes get saturated. But there's always jobs out there for plumbers and electricians and mechanics.
>>
>>43324477
The same could be said if you have lots of commits to open source projects.

>he does it for free
>>
>>43324450
This. I never realized how many people with CS degrees never do projects. My handful of hobby projects, most of which were unpolished proofs of concept, have gotten three different jobs now.
>>
>>43324475
>>43324485
Yeah, that's another bonus I forgot to mention. You'll finally get to lose your virginity and you'll be getting sex every day.
>>
>>43324477
it's unlikely they will ask what you were paid at an internship
if they do, just lie. 90% chance they won't check or any of that bullshit
>>
>>43324304
it is normal for more attractive people to be chosen for reward and recognition relative to unattractive people

it is the everyday reality of the world, you are simply choosing to consciously reinforce that bias

choose the hot girl, yet another hurdle jumped without even knowing it existed. she will continue to enjoy her easy street life. donuts will be had by all
>>
>>43324485
Prison sex isn't actually a thing in most places
>>
>>43324233
>The world has no use for people who have only done the required material.

then by definition that material is barely required.
>>
File: 1400662871886.jpg (15KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1400662871886.jpg
15KB, 250x241px
im about halfway through my CCNA but fuck I hate it

what sort of job can I get with it, if any?
>>
>>43324519
Plus, if you don't pick the hot girl, she'll probably sue the company for discrimination and you'll get screwed in the long run.
>>
>>43324496
>trades
>steady
Even during the dot com boom construction was eating more shit than fields that require a CS degree
>>
>>43324537
out of curiosity, how long have you studied to make it halfway through?
>>
>>43324079
Oregon and California at Intel

Some of the more cash-flush companies in SV offer closer to $40.

Oregon was actually a super good deal. Making $30/hr where a luxury 1BR apartment is $1k and you're right next to Portland? Totally beats the bay area.
>>
>>43324496
>tfw that's my backup plan if the market shits the bed and I'd be stuck in fucking helpdesk

>>43324537
Just give up on it now if you hate it or it's hard. It only gets harder, especially when it's frame relay time.
>>
>>43323710
Nope, it's legal slavery
>>
>not living in the south where STEM jobs are fucking everywhere because everyone down here does shit like petroleum, trades, business, health, and pretty much everything but STEM

Top kek. Don't mind me, just making $51k 3 years after graduating.
>>
>>43323786
>paid internship

That's not too bad
>>
File: 1406503890310.jpg (37KB, 229x238px) Image search: [Google]
1406503890310.jpg
37KB, 229x238px
>>43324552

>Oregon was actually a super good deal.

>you're right next to Portland
>>
>>43324551
about 6 months
>>
>>43324563
>$51k
>in STEM
>three years after graduating
>proud of it
Nigger you're getting scammed
>>
By what year do you need to have an internship in a CS degree in order to not get fucked? I'm planning on graduating in 2.5 years, and I'm starting my second this fall. I take it if I don't get one next summer I'm fucked?
>>
>>43324586
You forgot the part where I live in the south and property, food, cost of living, etc. is cheap as fuck. That $51k is like $70k in other places in the US. Stay jelly doe.
>>
welp, and I though my country was the only shitty one with legal slavery

>Peru

yeah, I want to go to Canada and be a farmer
>>
>>43324589
Where are you? In the bay area you don't really need an internship to get hired on graduation but I'm told this is different in most other parts of the world.
>>
>>43324586
>tfw 31k a year with CS bachelors

h-how do i big money?
>>
File: EET.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
EET.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
I'm getting my AS in Electronic Engineering Technology and plan to do my BS in EE after. I want to start doing some internships but I don't start my education until this fall and figured I'd have to wait 1.5 to 2 years to stand a chance at getting an internship. However I was advised by my friend who is working in Aerospace engineering that I should apply immediately because companies LOVE hiring people just starting their degree and most interns are freshmen. Is this good advice? What are some good companies in Connecticut looking for electrical technicians?

I know math up through differential equations, have taken basic physics (but forgot a lot), don't know engineering or most electrical stuff, and have basic computer skills and know my hardware but don't know how to code.

Pic related is my EET curriculum, I completed all my math and most of my gen eds before I changed major to EET. I have about 2 years of this and then I either transfer immediately to a university or I work for a year or two and then go to uni.
>>
>>43324610
Bay Area.
>>
>>43324586
considering he's like 25, that's a good amount of money
>>
>>43324573
Portland's awesome.
And it doesn't smell like piss like San Francisco does.
>>
>>43324598
Things are cheaper because it's shit and no one wants to live there. I'll stick with my high pay and nice weather/cities any day of the week.
>>
File: VelikoHouse.jpg (48KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
VelikoHouse.jpg
48KB, 600x400px
>>43324022
I'm from Bulgaria.
I sold my fucking 5 bedroom house with a swimming pool and 4 acres of land to move into a shitty American apartment and live the "city life" with my American wife because she needed to be with her family. and now WOW, we're fucking miserable.

I speak Russian, Bulgarian, English and some Turkish.
I have a CCIE and a MCSE.
I also worked in my fathers Auto shop since I was 13-19, and can pretty much fix any car problem.

But in America? Every single skill you have is devalued beyond comprehension and is subject to experience, how many stupid sheets of paper are in your portfolio and how you look/speak/act. not what you're actually capable of. I also miss going out and buying a cup of coffee, a sandwich and a slice of cake for 4 US Dollars. 4 fucking dollars won't even get you a decent cup of coffee in Boston.

I just wish things were different, pic related, This is the type of house I used to own. 5 bedroom miniature palace. reverse image search the image and have your mind blown as to how much your money goes in my country.
>>
File: 1375796723794.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1375796723794.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>43324300
I basically have to give them half my paycheck every month for rent or else they threaten to kick me out. Then they usually will ask me for about $100 or so more every so often for shit and try to guilt trip me over stupid shit if I say no. Then we have these unexpected "emergencies" that pretty much empty out any savings I have. Turns out one of the "emergencies" was them wanting to go to Vegas for a week and wanted some extra cash, so you can imagine I was not too thrilled. I'm also expected to pay for internet/cable and my own groceries. And I'm making a whopping 8 bucks an hour.

I'm getting jewed hard, but not much I can do. I basically have no friends since I'm socially awkward (but good enough at "faking it" to do alright around customers and employees and shit), and any family I have is on the other side of the country, so there's no way in hell I'd be able to live with someone else.

I'm sure they'll lay off on me if I go for college, but I'm not sure if I'll even be able to do that and work my shitty minimum wage job at the same time and have it pay off.

>>43324386
>>43324363
>>43324310
You guys are really inspirational, thank you.
>>
File: 1394843933260.jpg (183KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1394843933260.jpg
183KB, 800x800px
>>43324622

There's nothing awesome about hipster central, anon.
>>
>>43324626
Actually I live in a nice town. I grew up living in almost every region of the US, because my dad was in the air force. It's probably just about as shitty everywhere you go.

Stay mad jelly doe, m8.
>>
>>43323786
>webscrapping

dont they mean scraping
>>
>>43324304
>donuts
Fucking get on that shit man. You know who the right chick is.
>>
>>43324589
Protip: Nobody is going to give a fuck how long it took you to graduate. Get the foundation of networking/experience in school while you can.
>>
>>43324615
An internship looks good but most people crying about unpaid internships being required for jobs are from the midwest or some shit. You can't swing a cat around here without finding someone who wants to hire a programmer. Do a project, go get a job.
>>
>>43324614
>associates

why would you do this

thats like a fucking toaster strudel degree
>>
>>43324626
Why would I care about any of that shit if the only time I would be ever going outside is to go to my job?
>>
I sure do love 4chan, an internet website where everyone tells the truth and no one lies, here on the internet. On 4chan.

>anecdotes rule everything around me
>>
>>43324653
At my community college, you have the option to collect credits to transfer, get an AA, or do both.
All three tracks take about the same amount of time, so why not get an associates and then transfer?
>>
>>43324653
Not that anon, but to transfer to a 4-year university while paying lower tuition.
>>
>>43324651
I'm not graduating early to look cool. I'm doing it because jewC Berkeley charges my parents 37k a year tuition and it's starting to guilt trip me even though they kinda pushed me to go there and I was perfectly happy going to my top state school.
>>
>>43324639
>hipster central
>learned everything about Portland from Fred Armisen
>>
>>43324673
y u still mad doe
>>
>>43324630
It's tough at first anon but once you make it in America you REALLY make it. Think of it as an investment.
Also, tell us about that CCIE. How long did you study/how many hours? How old are you? You are in the bees knees of Cisco my friend, as someone studying for a CCNA i'm jelly. Any advice?
>>
>>43324637
why not... move out? Straigh up, even if you can't afford an appartment strangers room together all the time. Look it up on craigslist. People who stick around their nice parents suck, you're just an idiot if your parents are assholes too.
>>
>>43324653
Because my GPA is bad and I don't have money. There's no way I could pay the loans if I was even approved. I would get no financial aid or scholarships. This gets me a technical degree while I improve my performance at school and it has improved. I went from a 0.3 to a 2.0 within a year. I am to be over a 3.0 next year and hopefully hit my HS graduating GPA of 3.4.
>>
>>43324630

You need to network harder. Get to every event you can find in your city. Tech conferences, meetups, product launches, whatever.

Also make a list of every single company that needs your skills in your area and send them a resume, most positions aren't even advertised.

Talk to a recruiter too.
>>
>>43324684
>37k a year
Lol, meanwhile at Drexel I'm paying $60k a year and racking up hundreds of thousands in debt.
>>
File: 1405223807268.png (38KB, 300x264px) Image search: [Google]
1405223807268.png
38KB, 300x264px
I fucked myself over pretty bad. Failed year 11 at high school, and thought because I can build a PC that I should do a computer related course. what a fucking mistake that was. about 7 months into this course at a tafe, it includes windows server, some linux shit, A+ and cisco associate degree. can't stand this shit

why did I do this?
>>
>>43324658
because then you're only going outside to go to your job...
>>
>>43324630
Ticaret yapsan?
>>
>tfw no one needs C, Assembly, or Haskell programmers
>they just need HTML and CSS and Java and Python coders

captcha: intellectual guillotine
>>
Do companies keep like a community blacklist of people who fail they interviews? Like if I try to apply to a bunch of positions I might not really be qualified for and fail the interview, would they tell all the other companies to not bother with me?
>>
>>43324738
It depends on the sector. Most of the time not for interviews though.
>>
>>43324738
I don't think there's a physical list, but HR fuckers tend to never shut the fuck up about people they interview
>>
>>43324738
Yeah, but they're regional.

Things that will get you on a blacklist:
>a string of spectacularly bad interviews
>a history of shotgun blasting resumes to every company with little to no changes
Basically, showing gumption and being persistent.
>>
>>43324738
Doubtful. Besides, it's not like they can deduce you're a child rapist from an interview, most of the time they probably go "this guy's meh"
>>
>>43324721
>cisco degree

that's CCNA nigger

daily reminder that if you don't have security+ no one in HR wants you
>>
>>43324731
>"...[N]o one needs C, Assembly..."
At my work, all of us interns use C frequently, and the EE intern next to me uses Assembly all day. I didn't even look for that, it just happened.

Try to get a job at hardware manufacturers and you'll be swimming in embedded C.
>>
feel when getting CS bachelors in a few months and failed to get any internship during 4 years of studying

I hope I'll be able to find some full time job in the field without any formal work experience on my resume. If not, time to kill myself.
>>
>>43324760
Who the hell would bother to keep a blacklist? Come the fuck on!
>>
>>43324731

Not true. C and Assembly jobs are plentiful. There's a legit shortage of skilled developers in those areas.

Haskell is just for academia, no one uses that stuff.

Java is king, though.
>>
>>43324774
HR people aren't human.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hr+blacklist
>>
>>43324731
If you think you know that first set of languages but not the second then I can tell you with certainty you don't know any language well enough to employ and no amount of technical religion will change that.
>>
>>43324769
what the hell is security+
>>
File: 1392454565792.jpg (19KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1392454565792.jpg
19KB, 640x480px
>>43324774

HR people.
>>
>>43324760
What the fuck do they expect me to do? Bullshit a unique 2 page cover letter about why I like this company's culutre and products and why it was my dream since my childhood to work there? I mean I'm just fucking applying to 3 month long internships, and I really couldn't care less about the specific company as long as I get a decent wage and can do stuff besides making coffee.
>>
>>43324774
Not the poster you're replying to, but in some fields (like law) your reputation is a huge part of the hiring process. If you consistently do poorly in interviews, word will probably get around that you're not a good candidate.

Granted that's an extreme example, and in CS there's no fucking blacklist, but that might be what he was referring to.
>>
File: mad.jpg (49KB, 729x265px) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
49KB, 729x265px
>>43324710

Owned. I bet you're doing it for women and a nice car, right faggot?

Don't forget to pay your taxes little bitch, I need my subsidized hookers and vidya.
>>
>>43324738
most employers don't tend to waste time running smear campaigns against neckbeards, they tend to dedicate their resources towards something that at least seems like it could possibly make them money.
>>
>>43323889
What counts as god tier algorithms?
>>
>>43324814
>Bullshit a unique 2 page cover letter about why I like this company's culutre and products and why it was my dream since my childhood to work there?
They expect nothing less.
You're playing in their domain.
They set the rules.
>>
>>43324506

yup, it's unreal how easy it is to score a job once you have proved to the world you can do it.

I would actually never hire a developer who doesn't have a public repo where I can see his code.
>>
>>43324814
I am in the exact same fucking position as you. internship starts September first and I still need to find a Jew who will take a sysadminfag. Expectations keep dropping every few weeks. I knew this point would come, I remember when I turned 19 I all of a sudden could never find a summer job again because I now was "too expensive". Had a fucking job since 14 and that shit went out of the window. These HR creatures are fucking insane.
>>
>>43324835
Knowing whatever your interviewer's favorite datastructure and/or algorithm is.

Protip: Memorizing every fact there is to know about red black trees is a worthwhile way to spend your time.
>>
>>43324695
Pfft. America.
It's impossible to make it in America without being American and growing up American, you treat immigrants as cheap laborers and nothing more. It has been this way for over a century, ask any 1st generation immigrant.

I studied for my CCIE through manuals online and took the tests at my nearest test centre. my method of learning was simple. I studied 4 hours every day except weekends, even at work on my breaks. I breathed networking because in Bulgaria if you had leading vendor certifications you were a king. My employer at our local ISP loved that I wanted to improve myself too and would give me special permissions to build my own training labs and use them after work or on my breaks so I could get practical experience.

At KFC if you're caught reading on your break by your manager he just complains and pokes fun.

I may not have been paid as much as my American counterparts but the benefits were all there, private medical, dental, life insurance, company car, retirement plan etc. and unlike America the cost of living is so low that you don't miss anything. I was being paid 58k BGL and I could afford everything I wanted in life. new guns, new car, nice clothes, good food, great alcohol, dank weed, everything. My wife was very comfortable too, she just missed home too much.

and now... we're here.
>>
>>43324835

Knowing what's covered in an intro to algorithms semester at uni.

Go study The Algorithm Design Manual by Skiena, and you're gold.
>>
>>43324867
You were in high demand in Bulgaria because your skillset was valuable.

In America, there are Americans with the same skillset as you, younger, and better engrained in the culture.

If you miss it so much, move back to Bulgaria.

USA #1 FREEDOM STOP THE BOATS
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 300x400px
Human Resources is a fucking retarded work. They know next to nothing about the field most of the time, rate people the same way you rate your sandwich at Subway and end up picking the last moron that walked out of the door because barely anyone met their fucktarded criteria.
Why does this position even exist? Can't bosses pick their own employees?
Also do they really do something else outside hiring, firing and the ocassional court-mandated payment discount?
>>
>>43324867

how many interviews have you had so far?
>>
>>43324867
>It's impossible to make it in America without being American and growing up American, you treat immigrants as cheap laborers and nothing more
This is simply not true anon. Companies in America prioritize skill above all. If you truly are competent, well spoken, and speak good English employers do not care where you were born.
As someone who's worked at an investment bank in NYC who has seen many people like you, we don't hire enough Americans.
>>
>>43324233
shitposting mate
>>
>>43324913
I'm 25. There are few 25 year olds with an MCSE and CCIE. Most are 40 and bald. The problem with America is that your companies treat your employees like cattle, all of you are expendable and replaceable with a fresh, green dipshit who will work for nothing and be grateful for the chance to do so.
>>
>>43324850
>can't get job at first company you apply for
>applying at more places is somehow bad
>>
>>43324913
>This denial
I hope you are joking
>>
>>43324925
I've been here 2 years and only 4 interviews.
You typically only see 4-6 ads that don't require a CS degree per month, and always in the preferred field you will see a CS degree. So I'm hardly ever even on the interview pile.

It's hard to succeed in a city that has MIT in the fucking centre of it.
>>
File: 1358475540195.jpg (82KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
1358475540195.jpg
82KB, 960x716px
Hey, guys.
I'm currently in a community college, and I plan on transferring out soon to a larger university, to work towards getting a bachelor's in CS, and I would really appreciate some help with these questions:

>When it comes to getting a job, how important is the college you graduate from?
Would most employers only care about experience or GPA, or could you be denied a position because you got your degree from a mediocre state school?
>How do you go about getting internships, and jobs later on?
I've been told that it is important to make acquaintances with professors and other staff members who can help you get employed later on. How important is this?
When you want to get an internship at a company, what things could help me the most to increase my chances of getting the position?
>If shit happens and you can't complete your degree, is it difficult to find work as a software developer without a college degree?
Would an individual be out of luck in this case? If not, then would open source contributions or a personal portfolio be of any value?
>>
>>43324952

But that's bullshit.

Salaries in IT are higher in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world. By a hefty margin.
>>
File: getout.png (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
getout.png
422KB, 640x480px
>>43324822
Way to be literally a nigger. You proud of that? I know your post is bait but are you seriously proud of that? Way to be a complete fucking loser.
>>
>>43324996
Pfft, haha, American ignorance is beautiful.
See London, UK.
Get blown away my friend.
>>
>>43324970
>not catching on to the sarcasm at STOP THE BOATS
>>
>HR get to hire people
Is your company retarded or what? In my company, our direct leaders will interview and hire people. HR just have to prepare the paperwork after our leaders want to hire new recruits.
>>
>>43324980

4 interviews in 2 years? You're not doing enough to land a real job.

Don't wait until an ad appears, proactively apply to every damn ISP/datacenter in the city.

Also you could be halfway through your degree by now had you started upon arriving.
>>
>>43325010
He is talking about average salary of an entire nation, yet you are attempting to prove his point wrong my giving the example of a single city, which makes no sense.

The average salary in the UK is about 44000 USD, whereas the average salary in the US is $51,017.
>>
>>43325000
>>43324974

Why'd you delete it the first time?
>>
>>43325039
Average salary of a nation doesn't fucking matter. You don't live in an entire nation, you live in a small subset.
>>
>>43325010

Joke's on you, I'm British.

Salaries in the UK are shit, well below the European mean.

Has something to do with the massive influx of Asian and Eastern Europeans.
>>
>>43324987
>How important is the college you graduate from?
Unless it's an ivy-league or a community college (improves chances massively, decreases chances minorly, respectively) it won't really matter.
>care about experience or GPA
Experience yes, GPA no
>denied a position because... mediocre state school
No
>How do you go about getting internships and jobs
Apply for them
>make acquaintances
It'll help getting your foot in the door because you'll have job references
>When you want to get an internship at a company, what things could help me
Apply for positions, show up on time for the interview in a suit, don't be an assburger
>Is it difficult to find work... without a college degree?
At first, it'll be harder than if you had one - once you get experience, however, it won't matter
>would open source contributions or a personal portfolio be of any value
YES, THIS SHIT WOULD GET YOU HIRED WITHOUT A DEGREE AT ALL
>>
>>43325039
Now do your math.
The exchange rate is 1USD = 0.59GBP.

>>43325038
> Also you could be halfway through your degree by now had you started upon arriving.

Because money just falls from the sky for this kind of thing, right? Especially someone here on a greencard.
>>
>>43325060
If you want to play that game, then salaries in New York City and the cali Bay Area trump those of London by a large margin.
>>
>>43325025
>direct leaders
>our leaders
>recruits
How's best corea treating you?
>>
File: tumblr_luy94vBatO1r29n00o1_500.jpg (36KB, 416x312px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_luy94vBatO1r29n00o1_500.jpg
36KB, 416x312px
>>43325049
Replied to wrong post.
>>
>>43325060

Salaries in London are fucking crap.
>>
>>43325079
0/10
>>
>>43325069
>now do your math
>he clearly already did, as he gave the average in USD and not GBP
>>
>>43325069
How about you take your remedial reading classes?
>44000 USD
>$51,017
>hurr hurr exchange rate
>>
From what I've encountered, connections are a massive, massive part of the industry. Do everything you can to make friends in the industry, and you'll have a much higher chance of getting opportunities thrown your way. As a college freshman, I applied to dozens of internships and received no response. I talked to a few family friends and asked for some help, and got 4 interviews within a week. Do whatever you can to get your foot in the door.
>>
>>43325077

Large? talk about MASSIVE.

In NY you make 2-3 TIMES what you'll earn in London.
>>
>>43324306
Your privilege check score must be off the charts.
>>
>>43323662
>Internships require you to be enrolled in College
>Entry-Level jobs require 3-5 years minimum experience for something you could learn in a month
>Volunteer jobs are for experience only and don't hire

Should i just go to the air force?
>>
>>43325097
If that's the game I'm not interested in playing it. How can you fake autism? Autismbux sounds like the best solution at this point.
>>
>>43324572
Its only for 8 weeks
>>
>>43325010
>eurofags seriously implying wages in Europe are better than America
we have the second wealthiest middle class in the world you tards
>>
>>43325065
Thanks for the response

>show up on time for the interview in a suit, don't be an assburger
Uh oh, my social skills aren't really up to par. Are there any good books or online guides out there that would help me polish up for an interview and job environment?

>YES, THIS SHIT WOULD GET YOU HIRED WITHOUT A DEGREE AT ALL
That's relieving to hear. I have quite a few unfinished projects on my github page right now. If I worked some and made them presentable, it would be a very big help to getting an internship or a job, right?
>>
>>43324703
>I went from a 0.3 to a 2.0 within a year
>0.3

what the fuck..
>>
>>43325157
It won't help you get past HR because they have no idea what that is, but it will make you look good to the actual interviewer.
>>
>>43324233
>its
>arnt
>>
>>43325172
an F in most colleges are 0 credits
That's what happens when you flunk nearly all your college courses
>>
>>43325157
>I have quite a few unfinished projects on my github page right now. If I worked some and made them presentable, it would be a very big help to getting an internship or a job, right?

Absolutely

The number one factor on getting a job programming is proving you can program. A presentable portfolio goes a long way.
>>
>>43325157
Polish the projects, make sure you place the link to your github prominently on your CV, put your CV on Monster, and you'll literally be getting job offers without doing anything else.

Just be relaxed and go with the flow, it's not like if you mess up the interview you're going to die. Plus you can fuck up one or two, and then on the third you'll know what to expect and how to play the game.
>>
File: kreayshawn1.jpg (144KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
kreayshawn1.jpg
144KB, 500x333px
>>43323662
>tfw paid to intern
>tfw got a bj in my car from sexy coworker the first week
>tfw moved on to bigger and better things
>tfw alpha stud making bank
>>
>>43325010

You've never actually been in London, have you?

Protip: It's full of Asians and Russians working for chump change.

Probably the worst IT job market in all the Western world.

Expensive as fuck everything as well.
>>
>>43325185
Does that mean you thought you were one of those slick nerds that could show up for one day of class and take the final, and apparently wasn't?
>>
>>43325212
Post pictures or it didn't happen.
>>
File: q0lfO.png (484KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
q0lfO.png
484KB, 1366x768px
>tfw a great thread on /g/ with a shit ton of knowledge/advice coming from people around the world
thanks for almost every post in this thread bros, so much good stuff in here. we're all going to make it
>>
File: 1402640347457.gif (885KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1402640347457.gif
885KB, 480x270px
>>43325298

Except for you.
>>
>>43324326
>web app
I hate the concept of making money off of web programming. But kudos to you for making a lot of money from that.

>Female fitness training camp
What is that exactly? Are you like Brittany Renner going from place to place doing several day sessions teaching people how to work out and eat properly? If so, how did you get clients for that?
>>
File: no-bullying.png (4KB, 232x110px) Image search: [Google]
no-bullying.png
4KB, 232x110px
>>43325309
>>
>>43324274
Only internships aren't really that anymore, they're the new form of slavery.

You'll bump up from that 80k/year salary to max 150k/year when you're hired as staff, and then that's it. In order to get a job in the 200k/year range you must show initiative, and to get 500k/year you need to be building your own businesses.
>>
File: enty level position.jpg (167KB, 534x920px) Image search: [Google]
enty level position.jpg
167KB, 534x920px
>i will never have a job
>>
You don't need shit. Go to a major city, go to meet up.com, get recruiters sucking your dick for web bdev WEB DEV! Then you shit out some JS and CSS until you're full time or you move on to the next job.

Once you're steady, you can go do what you want with your career.

If you're money driven, just learn some C# and make calendar web apps for corporate America. The jobs pay at least $50k, and a CRUD app is a CRUD aoo is a CRUD app...
>>
>>43325132
Its probably the best for you, just know that you wont ever be taken seriously for your work.

Then again you might get promoted a lot easier for having autism, I can't wait for that day you go on a killing spree because you got denied a date.

>see these threads
>don't even want to join the tech industry
Granted I am going to get my A+ cert and maybe a MSCIE or whatever it is, I think I will be fine being a phone bitch in the service industry.
>>
>>43323696
Then you don't know of any. At my university [a mediocre state school], any squabbling retard can get an internship in their junior year that pays at least $20 an hour. It happens every summer to everyone. The general consensus in the department is that if you can't get a paid internship, you are officially the worst CS major. Coincidentally, we know that guy.

>>43324263
>>43324014
Don't worry, guys. I honestly don't really understand why /g/ has such a hard time with it, but anyone passionate about CS is going to get fucking paid, one way or another.
>>
>>43325350
80k is good money, 150k a year is fantastic money.

I really get the feeling that a lot of you come from really rich backgrounds, i'm so forcing my kids to get jobs at supermarkets so they understand money more than some of you.
>>
>>43325350
Could you explain how that's akin to slavery?
>>
File: 2ibdcp4.jpg.png (24KB, 292x301px) Image search: [Google]
2ibdcp4.jpg.png
24KB, 292x301px
>do a unpaid internship
>the company is full of stinky indians working below the minimum wage
>get treated like shit
>Collected all the evidence, secret video recordings each time I come in contact with the boss, contracts and ads, and contracts of other unpaid interns
>gave it to all to the ombudsman for investigation
>the ombudsman force the company to compensate me 10K for 5 weeks work
>the company later went into liquidation and the Indians have to go home

KEK
>>
>>43325350
>80k a year
>slavery
When you're making more than literally 99.9% of people in the world while in college it's not slavery by any stretch of the definition.
You faggots are totally delusional.
>>43325353
Lie.
>>
>>43325388
When your parents raised you on a $100k+ a year income, you have to aim high to continue improving your lineages position.
>>
>>43325394
You, sir, are a great American.
>>
File: he-mad.jpg (48KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
he-mad.jpg
48KB, 500x301px
>>43325269
here's one just for you
>>
File: internship.png (73KB, 873x959px) Image search: [Google]
internship.png
73KB, 873x959px
at my university you have to complete an internship. it's even a class and they set it up for you and shit

why dont other colleges do this? i thought i went to a shitty school but apparently not
>>
>>43323988
How the fuck is California the worst state? I moved there from Canada, and it's fucking amazing here in the valley!!
>>
>>43325419
I was raised in a single cop income family
>>
>>43325445
Well it has pretty much the same amount of Asians and gays as Canada, so you must feel at home.
>>
>>43325426
my uni req'd one, which is part of the reason i didn't want to do the degree, because i didn't want to be a cubicle rat
>>
>>43325456
The post you're replying to was in reference to your observations on the backgrounds of posters complaining about $80k starting salaries, not anything to do with your upbringing.
>>
>>43325426
>>43325467

that's why you always intern at the non-tech saavy places. when i was in school i did hours at a hospice and they were all so amazed at the basic shit like that i could do without thinking. like touch typing, word document formatting, etc.

it was kind of silly because i was a CS student and they didnt even have any programs or anything for me to work on. i was basically doing IT for them
>>
>>43325474
Hell, i'd be happy with half that
>>
>tfw no prior IT work experience
>not even an A+ cert to my name
>can build a high-end rig, and shit around with C
>friend put my resume in at his IT place
>got called within two hours of their receipt of my resume
>the interview was with my actual boss, not HR
>50k/year+benefits for mass imaging/migrating, and HDD removal/installation
>ten hour shifts, optional overtime, plenty of free time to catch up on certs and maybe a degree in something useful

The American Dream still lives, brothers.
>>
File: laugh.png (33KB, 265x290px) Image search: [Google]
laugh.png
33KB, 265x290px
>>43323662
>tfw in Biomolecular engineering
>tfw only just finished my freshman year
>tfw I got an internship at St. Jude
>only person in my class with an internship this summer
>>
>>43325490
Why in the everloving fuck would you want to waste your time doing that
>>
>>43325519
Can I come work for you anon?
>>
>>43324079
If you land in Seattle you can sell your soul to Microsoft/Amazon for hella money and freebies.

Why should you not be paid for the work you're doing?
>>
>told all I have to do is say the word and I'll have an internship
>haven't even started my first year of uni

connections man, start networking
>>
>>43325525
It's comfy.
>>
>>43325546
How deep do I need to network? Is just handing my business card/resume to random people good enough? I don't want to put in the effort of forming real social connections.
>>
my problem with tech jobs is that im never sure if im actually a suitable candidate. i like to be confident in my abilities, and people on /g/ seem to be ok with bullshitting things that they dont understand.

i just dont want to be put into a position where i don't know what they're asking me to do. like program in a language ive never used, etc.
>>
File: 768754563635.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
768754563635.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
>>43325561
TIME TO MAN UP AND WIPE THAT DICK TICKLING GRIN OFF YOUR FACE YOU SPINELESS MAGGOT
>>
>>43325610
p-pls dont yell at me i might spill my drink
>>
Any Silicon Valley interns here?
>>
>>43325546
How does one go about networking?
Do you just get to know people who can get you a job and keep good relations with them, and subtly ask them later on if you need a job?
>>
>>43325467
The cubicle rat ecosystem is starting to fade away along with things like the waterfall style of software development (in the general case, at least). Up in Canadaland, I'm seeing more software companies with low cube walls/no cubes, beer on fridays, small daily standups/scrum meetings, and a more vibrant atmosphere at work.

The universities in Vancouver come with programs that help you get a job during uni, but it's only mandatory for engineering students. Comp sci majors have the option to get internships, and basically everyone with 2 brain cells in the faculty will try for it because there's hardly a downside to having industry experience before grad.
>>
>>43325624
WELL HOW ABOUT I GO GET YOU A FUCKING SIPPY CUP! I MIGHT AS WELL CHANGE YOUR FUCKING DIAPER TOO WHILE I'M AT IT! WOULD YOU LIKE THAT, YOU GOD DAMN SHIT STAIN?!
>>
File: weAllKnow.png (58KB, 976x548px) Image search: [Google]
weAllKnow.png
58KB, 976x548px
>>43323662
I can relate brah, just keep looking until you find something
>protip: don't be afraid to change location
>>
File: 1251379309.jpg (24KB, 512x603px) Image search: [Google]
1251379309.jpg
24KB, 512x603px
>>43325624
FUCK YOUR SISSY FRAPPUCCINO YOU UGLY SACK OF COCK HOW ABOUT YOU DROP DOWN AND WORK THAT SHIT BODY OF YOUR BY GIVING ME 10
>>
>>43325641
>can't hide in a cubicle and avoid human interaction
kill me now
>>
File: 1392697184505.gif (802KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1392697184505.gif
802KB, 500x281px
>>43325655
No bullying gaijin-san
>>
>>43325641
>low cube walls/no cubes
Sounds even worse than cubicles.
>>
>>43325675
At the startup I'm at, there are rows of desks with drawers separating different people's workspaces.
>>
>>43323747
>Working at the fruity jew for 5 years
Of course you can get any job you want. You're one of them now.
>>
File: 1339405098595.png (43KB, 329x246px) Image search: [Google]
1339405098595.png
43KB, 329x246px
>>43325675
>>43325663

>someone is watching you
>they're always watching you
>>
>>43325702
>i'll have nowhere to hang my semi-lewd wall scrolls
>they'll notice if I'm just pretending to work while really shitposting on /g/
>>
>>43325702
This is how I feel all day seeing as how every building is filled with cameras. Somebody has to make it stop.
>>
>>43325560
real social connections is key unless you have a parent or friend on the inside. I know most of the people through my mom. Most of the high rankers/executives at her old job now work where she is now. The guy that interviewed her at her old job told her worked with her new boss, told new boss he liked her and she was practically hired on the spot.

A lot of her ex-coworkers went to top schools (Harvard, MIT, UIUC, UMich, Cornell, Stanford) for both undergrad and grad school and they were willing to write me rec letters. Turned most of them down because my grades and test scores were shit.

I was buddy buddy with a good number of them. My mom was loved around the office and I was always there helping out.

>barbecued on VP's apartment's roof
>coworkers inviting me to watch soccer games at the bar with them

>>43325636
Make friendships with people. Start with people you know like neighbors, professors, (parents') coworkers, friends. Let them know your talents, interests, and goals. And don't let their position influence you, you never know who they might know.
>>
>>43325445
California is one of the most heavily taxed state, property is a lot more expensive here then say, Alabama.

Californian assholes everywhere, I somewhat hate the people I live around. I just moved to San Diego which is a lot better than what I was used to.

Uhhh what else sucks here
Car smogging is annoying as shit, also its a bit harder to bring a car from out of state, they must meet the emmission standards speficially cut for Cali.
>>
>>43323832
Uncle Remus will set you free, anon.
>>
>>43325126
Yes. It's the bullshit-free section of the military, for the most part.
>>
>>43325731
Most video from CCTV cameras will never leave the system it was recorded on, until it's written over in a few days/weeks/months, assuming no niggers rob the place.
>>
>Finally landed a real programming job after graduating
>Everything is written in Delphi
>Some of the shit is so old that we have to use slow as fuck vms with Delphi 7 installed to do any work.

I hate Delphi so fucking much
>>
>>43325651
>>protip: don't be afraid to change location

Freight trains don't run everywhere they used to anymore, so good luck relocating with no money.
>>
>>43323696
Graphic design.

Basically anything you can do on a computer you're expected to do for free.
>>
>>43325387
>The general consensus in the department is that if you can't get a paid internship, you are officially the worst CS major.
Oh hey, it's me. This is why I had to move back home for the summer - whoops!
>>
>>43325490
>this thread
>>
>>43324389
Oh, and if it is Calc 1 or 2, let us know what exactly is messing you up. I (and I'm sure most of the anons around here) may be able to help more specifically. If not, I am pretty sure anything you are taking for a CS degree is covered by Khan academy (best resource by far) and Paul's online math notes (basically all the math lecture notes you'll ever need, google it). If you are feeling those are above your head, most likely the problem is some weakness is in your algebra, geometry, trigonometry or philosophical logic. Check khan academy until you find the underlying issue,, and then attack it 110%.

Like one anon said /sci/ can help with specific problems, though they tend to be insulted if you just use them for simple homework help you could have googled instead. Keep attacking it, I'm sure you are smart enough for this (after all you worked through the logic thinking of it), you just need to identify the weaknesses and address them.
>>
>>43325852
If you're a graphic designer you better damn well have SOME type of experience if you want to get hired. Not to mention a supporting portfolio. Some people don't even have degrees but they have equivalent years of experience and the bullshit thing is since they were payed to do it, it means more then all the years you spent studying and all that money you payed if they actually know what they are doing.
>>
>>43325419
>Continue improving your lineages position
>100k

LOL I broke that at 18/19.
>>
>>43325783
I can finally bash the shit out of California.

What a fucking entitled shithole of a state.

How the fuck does someone who makes 33k, and is upside down on their Mercedes going to act better than me?
>>
>Cisco

How does anyone drag themselves over that proprietary nonsense? It changes every damn series of routers

Coding is rough and damn technical but at least you create with it, networking is as blue collar as it gets and Cisco is a killer of fun
>>
>>43325388
>It's alright money, I guess.
>>
>>43325926
What did you do for that kind of money at 18/19?
>>
>>43325922
This. If you love your career and/or have the time where you can build a portfolio. The beautiful thing about IT is that you can build yourself (IMPORTANT: A degree is a piece of that, do work things) to match a certain portfolio (after all it is a career field of looking for **specific** digital versions of traditional employees.) So if the artistic side of it is what attracts you, go for it, cause you never know, you may be more employable than those liberal arts college grads.
>>
>>43325966
Built websites, bought and sold cars, got ridiculous college scholarships, worked essentially 80 hrs a week.
>>
>>43325950
It's easy for me. I'm good with servers and networking (the switch and router kind, not the human kind). I really fucking hate programming and don't want to get stuck doing it for 40+ hours a week, 52 weeks a year.
>>
>>43325995
That's an amazing work ethic.
>>
>>43326022
>>43325995
You would be incredibly surprised what you could do with $600. That's what the first car cost me.

Speaking of which, I want to buy one of the police edition chargers with the big fucking hemi in it. 400lbs of torque.

>>43326022
Thanks man, holy shit.

That's the first time anyone has ever complimented me on here.

It's been a rough ride, and I'm trying to expand again. I've supported myself since I was 15, and I luckily had a chance to take part in a program called running start in Washington State.

I'm trying to take a break now though, it's summer and I've been working my ass off for over a year.

Looking to make some easier cash with car sales soon hopefully. I'm also getting into a relatively prestigious business school. I can make a lot of cash outside of the professional world, but with my girlfriend and I getting older I want to do some more "legitimate" work. I know owning a business is legitimate, but I want to be higher up in a big company.
>>
>>43326022
That's way too much work for me. I value free time a hell of a lot more than consumerism.
>>
>>43325995
bullshit, no way you worked 12 hour days 7 days a week
>>
>>43326052
Yeah, I've felt that way lately. A lot of stress without enough payoff. I also have PTSD, which makes things shit sometimes.
>>
>>43325926
>LOL
>claiming to make 100k a year at 18
>lying on the internet
>>
>>43326065
Wow. You have no concept of what it's like to be an adult, do you? When my mom was in real estate they worked up to 100 hour work weeks depending on how crazy things got. To be completely self sufficient and successful you have to make sacrifices.
>>
>>43326065
its prob some drug dealer
>>
File: Photo on 7-31-14 at 11.08 PM.jpg (175KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 7-31-14 at 11.08 PM.jpg
175KB, 1080x720px
>>43326080
MUM GET THE CAMERA IM MLG!!!
>>
File: dress up.jpg (66KB, 468x299px) Image search: [Google]
dress up.jpg
66KB, 468x299px
>>43326085
>14 hour days 7 days a week
well my dad worked 150 hours a week at nintendo!
>>
>>43326047
Well, congrats on your successes so far, man.
I'm 19, and I only have about $200 to my name.

Could you elaborate a bit on your car business? Did you buy cheap used cars, fix them up, and sell them for a profit? How hard was it for you to negotiate the price of a used car low enough to still make a profit after all the repairs?
>>
>>43326130
TFW taking summer classes and supposed to write something. I'll be right back and elaborate, I can actually show you some cool shit!
>>
>>43326116
not that Im convinced some broker worked that long since paperwork and calls are out of your hand

but 14 hours is doable, you're awake 16 hours in a day and if you plan calorie dense food ahead of time those 2 hours can be strictly transportation if you need it

trust me I did the math for this a long time ago
>>
>>43326104
>fat
>mugs for the camera
>bites nails
>shitty eyesight genetics
>shitty house
>showing off his costco credit card
>>
>>43326085
Your mother was having an affair, she lied that she was at work.
>>
>>43326154
Any proof of you doing better, or are you just a shitposting NEET neckbeard?

pics or gtfo
>>
File: hCv2hjC.jpg (256KB, 679x679px) Image search: [Google]
hCv2hjC.jpg
256KB, 679x679px
>>43326151
Well fuck.

I'm competing for a limited number of jobs with people far less lazy than me.
>>
>>43326154
>so butthurt
>powerlifter
>a little fat, yeah. About 235
>375 bench

pls no dad pls no.
>>
>>43326104
>American Express
>Throw money away with annual fees Express
Why?
>>
>>43326181
what a kissass faggot
has to be a girl
>>
>>43326190
>not fat just bulking!
enjoy your heart attack
>>
>>43326185
it's really nothing man, it's waking hours
it sounds cliché but you just have to find something you want to do

16 hours shitposting and masturbating on 4chan doesn't really seem that long or hard right?

a broker is basically a glorified salesman, but any other businessman working those hours are doing it for the money, since they can pull customers if they worked longer

now people who work into their sleeping time 16+ hours a day, those are the hard ass robots looking to tear someone apart
>>
>>43326203
>>43326215
>>43326239
>being this mad
>>
>>43326181
>be on internet
>expects proof from a photo
>>
>>43326283
>caring this much about a giftcard
>>
>>43326251
>>43326151
>>43326130
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1DJ9dLoHmdf
>>
>>43326354
>>
>>43326407
>>
>>43326432
>>
>>43326376
Thanks for the detailed response!

I'm actually trying to learn more about general car repair and maintenance so I can maintain my own car without having to spend lots of money at shops. So far, I can only trust myself to do routine oil changes, but I'm doing my best to learn about other types of maintenance and repairs.
You are right, the used car business is still going strong, as many people are still trying to find work, and it does seem to be a great way to save up some extra cash.
Thanks for the explanation, I will keep this in mind and do more research on my own as well.
>>
Applying for IT positions at local companies. I want to become a mindless drone. Which pills should I take?
>>
>>43326519
Oh shit! I didn't think you would come back. The used car business is a lot stronger than it was even a few years ago. It's actually stronger than the new car business.

Remember that any strong running car is basically worth at least 2k, or close to it. Never less than a grand.

You want to make sure to never be in dire straits financially when you're selling cars, or you'll end up like every other fucktard on craigslist.
>>
>>43326547
>Remember that any strong running car is basically worth at least 2k, or close to it. Never less than a grand.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks
>>
>>43326613
No problem man.

Also, if you don't drive like shit, you don't need to insure them while you have them, or report them to the state.

Once you want your own car you can go to the auctions and score a sweet fucking car.

I'm going to work my way up to a 2008-10 Charger with a big fucking Hemi in it.
>>
>>43326613
Want to know anything about stocks?

Car I want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVgfMn7qq0
>>
>>43326627
>>43326647
That Charger looks great and very fun to drive, good luck on it.

>Stocks
I know just a little bit about how they work, but I've never looked into investing very seriously.
Don't you need a large amount of money to start off with? I am not sure if I can put in that kind of money.
>>
>>43326647
Work at a company that'll let you buy stock from your paycheck at a lower rate.

Save it up, (for more then 5 years at least, you'll hate yourself 20 years later for selling it anyways) and sell it.

what was $700 becomes $2000 usually
>>
>>43326707
No, if you can find a good place to start putting cash into a mutual fund, even a small amount of money is good. I know a couple hedge fund managers and they all said that their clients wished they'd started off at our age and not 40.
>>
>>43326721
Normally, or more depending on how savvy you are. I want to start day trading while in college. (OP here). I'm trying to get the 30k together that I need to start, but I'm not sure if I want to take that risk. I have a YouTube Channel based around stock advice though.

>>43326707
Oh yeah, the hemi is a monster and super cheap if you get one of the retired police cars.

They're in immaculate shape depending on where you buy it from. I didn't even know I wanted one. I just considered it a nigger car until I realized how giant, comfortable, and powerful they are.
>>
i just pack shelves at a supermarket

it's enough to pay the bills and get some PC upgrades here and there. failed high school so any serious career was out of the equation for me.
>>
>>43326724
You are right about that, starting earlier would be better down the line.

I don't know much about stocks, but do you know about short-term stock trading, and if it would be a good thing to look into if you have a good amount of cash saved up?

I look at google finance and other stock info sites, and it seems that every day, there are companies whose stock prices raise by 10% - 20% overnight.
Is it possible to predict these raises in price beforehand, and buy right before they go up? It seems to be a very fast way to get more money, but obviously very risky as well.
>>
>>43326811
Replying now
>>
http://www.marketwatch.com/game/polse

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0O4nHdqqTPe
>>
>>43326811
>>43326892
This.
>>
>>43326892
>>43326916
Alright, thanks for the explanation.
It's getting really late here, and I'm going to hit the sack now, but I'll listen to your recording once more when I wake up and shoot you an email.

Thanks for helping me out!
>>
>>43323814
Or you could just lie.
Lieing works fine. I believe for my first job I worked at dave's discount electronic's warehouse
>>
File: oathkeeper.jpg (76KB, 970x739px) Image search: [Google]
oathkeeper.jpg
76KB, 970x739px
>>43327154
Nothing wrong with lying, guys.
>>
guys I hear ocz is a hot stock y/n
>>
>>43324188
>half a century
...so you're a 60-70 year old ex-NEET?
>>
>>43325523
>St. Jude
I wonder who's behind this post?
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.