[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOO BOY >own lenovo ideapad z580, bought through newegg >really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

File: lenovo-logo-1432.jpg (43KB, 575x242px) Image search: [Google]
lenovo-logo-1432.jpg
43KB, 575x242px
HOO BOY

>own lenovo ideapad z580, bought through newegg
>really happy with it, does everything I need it to do, etc etc
>hard drive starts to fail
>no problem, I got that mofuggin extended warranty
>ship it off to whoever newegg's third party warranty company is
>get it back in like a week with a new HDD
>it originally had windows 8 but comes back with a windows 7 installation that is unactivated
>I have no recovery media because lenovo laptops come with a recovery partition on the drive
>whatever, install ubuntu (inb4 not gentoo), figure I'll just call lenovo and get them to send me the recovery media for like $10 or whatever
>call lenovo
>motherfuckers want $69.99 to send me a windows 8 boot disc and another disc with all the drivers on it
>I can't just use any windows 8 boot disc and my product key because I don't have it, they don't print that shit on the case like they used to
>rep says "So you don't want us to send you the media?"
>"No thanks, I'd rather not buy all this stuff I already bought."

I mean, I obviously knew that all of my shit would be gone, but I didn't know lenovo would charge me $70 to send me that shit. I mean it's not like I need Windows 8, but I was planning on selling this laptop anyways and I know whatever pleb on craigslist wants to buy it will balk if I tell him it has this weird hacker OS called "ubuntu"
>>
>>43258395
I bought a Y50 a few months ago, I looked up previously that lenovo offered windows 7 drivers for the machine so I could drop windows 8 on it

their fucking drivers don't work, none of them work, I called their support and asked why they advertised windows 7 drivers and none of them work, they wanted me to buy a 70 dollar software warranty subscription so they can basically remote desktop into my machine and they wouldn't even warranty a repair, they don't even guarantee they'll fix the problem. They then told me because I installed windows 7 that I can't even buy any warranty because its my fault I tampered with the system when they advertise the machine would work with windows 7

RMA'd that shit through amazon, got my money back and pocketed it instead, fucking lenovo
>>
>>43258395
>Ideapad
>Newegg
>Windows
You brought all of this upon yourself
>>
>>43258532
>you brought this upon yourself
>its my fault lenovo false advertises windows 7 support
>>
>>43258539
Why would you trust Newegg to handle repairs? Why not just go to Lenovo directly
>>
>>43258563
I did, Lenovo was going to do the repair/fix/warranty shit

I RMA'd through amazon and I didn't use Newegg
>>
>2014
>not buying a used THINKPad (not that fucking ideapad garbage) with the old keyboard on ebay
what did you expect.
>>
>>43258532
>>43258539
>>43258647
ITT Victim blaming
>>
>>43258647
I already have one of these

the Y50 is actually a lot thinner, cheaper and more powerful than a lot of its competitors
>>
>>43258395
>buying from newegg
>lenovo

Good God, you must be ancient. Why not buy Tiger Direct and make good decisions?
>>
>>43258663
It's common consensus that the modern Lenovos are crap, but that you can buy a top-of-the-line ThinkPad from several years ago, a new battery, and an SSD for less than one of the entry-level Lenovos now, and have a much better experience.

Fucker should've checked the wiki.
>>
>buying new laptops
>>
File: shit.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>43258720
oh man I fucking love my y50
pic related

>>43258491
Sucks that winders didn't work for you.
>>
>>43258395
>download drivers
>pirate an untouched OEM Windows 8 disk
>confirm hash
>install
>activates automatically
>install drivers

That's all it takes, OP.
>>
>>43258395
isn't the key embedded into the BIOS these days or something?
>>
>>43258849
No, that takes effort and lenovo wouldn't do that
>>
>>43258857
I have a lenovo, keys are in the bios
>>
>>43258942
really? I don't even see them in my bios
>>
>>43258849
>>43258942
See, your first problem is buying a laptop. Your second problem is buying prebuilt.
>>
>>43258959
I don't think it shows them, just install windows and it automatically detects it
I had to reinstall windows 8 when I put an ssd in and I didn't need any cracks or keys or anything, it just activated
>>
>>43258961
its a laptop, what computer beyond those stupidly highend and expensive ones, can you say you "built" without buying prebuilt?
>>
>>43258395
>>I can't just use any windows 8 boot disc and my product key because I don't have it, they don't print that shit on the case like they used to

Actually, you probably can.

The key should be installed in BIOS or some shit and will be automatically installed. This is only if you use the same version of Windows that came with your laptop though, so if it came with Windows 8.1 Pro you would need to install Windows 8.1 Pro again.

Find a clean install somewhere on the internet.
>>
>>43258996
Yet you still didn't get the point of my post. See, the point is laptops are terrible in comparison to any desktop. Do you even reading comprehension fagnugget?
>>
>>43259039
do you even know what the purpose of a laptop is? do you even get out to know?
>>
>>43259026
Source: Bought a new Thinkpad a year or so ago, reinstalled Windows 8.1 using a DreamSpark ISO and it automatically used my lenovo product key for it.
>>
Why are you trying to install inferior Windows products anyways
>>
File: 1406322353447.jpg (31KB, 318x322px) Image search: [Google]
1406322353447.jpg
31KB, 318x322px
>>43259057
Do you even remove corporate cock from your mouth long enough to realize how stupid you sound right now?
>>
>>43259088
because windows 7 is aesthetically better than the tablet fuck up that is windows 8

>>43259105
>called me a corporate cock sucker
>doesn't get out, doesn't know the purpose of a laptop is portability
>>
>>43258961
I'm sorry, some of us have jobs and need a portable computer that we can use without being plugged in.
>>
>>43259105
He has a point; desktops I've built muself have always performed better than those I've bought from Best Goy or ShillEgg.
>>
>>43259124
>>because windows 7 is aesthetically better than the tablet fuck up that is windows 8

So why did you buy a laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled and you have no ability to install Windows 7 on your own, other than complain to support that they didn't do it for you?
>>
>>43259156
because every manufacturer is putting windows 8 on their computers the same way they did with vista when it came out

Lenovo offers windows 7 support and windows 7 drivers but they fuck it up like>>43258491
points out
>>
>>43259188
>>Lenovo offers windows 7 support and windows 7 drivers but they fuck it up like

except OP isn't complaining about malfunctioning drivers, he's a legitimate retard who cannot install Windows 7 on his own.
>>
>>43259039
>laptops are terrible in comparison to any desktop

Pretty sure laptops are much better at being carried around in a backpack and being used on a plane or bus.
>>
>>43259088

see:

>>43258395
>I mean it's not like I need Windows 8, but I was planning on selling this laptop anyways and I know whatever pleb on craigslist wants to buy it will balk if I tell him it has this weird hacker OS called "ubuntu"

Read the whole thing next time.
>>
>>43259203

OP here, I'm not trying to install Windows 7 at all.

>>43258491

That's not me.
>>
>>43258395
Outside of the "proper" thinkpads Lenovo have terrible build quality, reliability issues and pretty bad support.

Like /g/ has been screaming since the dawn of time, AVOID CONSUMER LAPTOPS.

It's a lottery and the odds on this one aren't even particularly good.
>>
>>43259346
>AVOID CONSUMER LAPTOPS.

what do i get instead?
>>
>>43259407
this is /g/ the most anti-consumer bullshit install gentoo thinkpad jerk off website on the internet

your best bet is to do your own research
>>
>>43259407
"proper" thinkpads, elitebooks and latitudes of course. A lot more expensive but the build quality actually is worth it. Macbooks are a good bet too but /g/ will rage because Apple.
>>43259440
Playing the lottery just isn't worth it friend, just get something with proper support from the start and you've dodged most problems.
>>
I don't know who is trolling who in this thread anymore..
>>
>>43259482
>"proper" thinkpads, elitebooks and latitudes of course.
elitebooks and latitudes are corporate enterprise grade laptops and are far beyond any sort of consumer need
>>
>>43258491
That's theft you nigger.
>>
>>43259505
Yes, they also don't have horrible support, or maybe you won't even need it, because they work and won't crap out in 2 years.
>>
>>43259026

It came with regular old Windows 8, and I can't seem to find a simple windows 8 boot disc iso on tpb.
>>
>>43259523
How is what theft?
>>
>>43258491
>got my money back and pocketed it instead
You have to send the laptop back you nignog
>>
>>43259575
I pocketed the money, sent the laptop back

I didn't get my money back until the laptop was sent back and my credit card was credited
>>
>>43259532
https://mega.co.nz/#!C5Z0yQgR!MIvLZGFQrjL6KCLo_cGoM1dnzol_YrCEkgft4fNkAXk

Might work.
>>
>>43258748
Some goy's gotta do it
>>
>>43259605
Actually, I think this is something totally different.

Try finding a normal Windows 8.1 install and use that.
Might work.
>>
>>43259505
http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=EOcQ7EN6eEUAAAFFh1kRvdw1
http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=GlsQ7habmPQAAAFDf6osvs8_

There, you'll find at least two elitebooks there that won't break the bank, come with outstanding build quality, five years support and six hours battery life for around $800. There are similar latitudes.

What are you taking issue with? Is it the magnesium case? The aluminum keyboard frame? The ability to "downgrade" to windows 7, free of charge?
>>
The problem isn't on Lenovo's end, it's with the third party. They put the wrong OS on it, and it since it was past Lenovo's warranty, of course they were going to charge for a set of discs. IS this bait?
>>
>>43259829
>of course they were going to charge for a set of discs

Are you seriously trying to justify a $70 charge for two discs? One of them is the drivers, and that shit is online for free.
>>
>>43259901
No, I'm saying you should've contacted the third party when you realized what was wrong.
>>
>>43259407
Not a laptop. Perhaps a desktop instead. And not one of those iShits either, something good that masks your musky faggot scent.
>>
File: 1405138194561.png (85KB, 351x248px) Image search: [Google]
1405138194561.png
85KB, 351x248px
>>43259156
Therein lies the problem with society. No one wants to work for anything anymore, thus trusting their lives (digital and otherwise) to shameless shills.

Pic unrelated
>>
seriously how hard it is to just get a win 8 iso and get the license from the bios with rweverything
>>
>>43259980

They don't have any obligation to preserve your data.
>>
>>43260053
>how hard it is to just get a win 8 iso

did you read the thread? win 8 isos are hard to come by now.
>>
>>43260159
>trying that hard to install Windows 8
>Windows 8

Tablet bloatware. Just go back to your iPad and put your buttplug back in faggot.
>>
>>43258395
Unless something has changed OEM licensing required the product key sticker to be clearly visible on the computer. If it isn't there you could probably get them in trouble.
>>
>>43260382

so you didn't read the thread, then. you could havej ust said that.
>>
>>43258395
Lol USA 3rd world problems...
That happens here you send it back and get it sorted by law they can only give you like for like or newer here.
Know your buying and selling rights and use them.
>>
>>43261286

Sounds like English isn't your first language. I don't think you really have an idea of what's going on here.
>>
>Buy an Ideapad
>Windows 8
>That shit ain't stayin
>Wipe the drive
>Install Linux
>Fucking best laptop I've ever used.
>>
>>43261416

Yeah, it's working great now. It's just more computer than I need right now. I'm considering selling it (hence the desire for Win8) and buying a chromebook or some shit.
>>
Why didn't they release any y series laptops without that shitty ass "GAMER" design? Don't they want customers?
>>
>>43263638
because that's what the Y-series is
>>
>>43263707

Couldn't they handle it more discretely like the Asus N series?

http://www.amazon.com/N550JK-DS71T-Full-HD-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminum-Body/dp/B00IAA5BSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406586490&sr=8-1&keywords=n550jk
>>
>>43263776
why is that laptop porous
>>
>>43258395
Asus and Toshiba have been confirmed by multiple sources to have the best customer satisfaction when it concerns fucked up laptops and having to ship them your shit up laptop to get it fixed.
>>
>>43258395
Maybe you should start buying laptops and shit from Costco.

They have a better return policy than Newegg because it is fucking Costco.

Shame PC selection is limited but Costco isn't aiming to be anything like Best Buy.
>>
>>43258395
Windows 8 product key is in the bios fucktard
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.