[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Chromium a botnet? Does it send user information to Google

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

File: chromium.png (129KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
chromium.png
129KB, 1024x1024px
Is Chromium a botnet? Does it send user information to Google like Chrome does for advertising purposes, and so on?
>>
>actually believing this botnet shit
Jesus Christ you're pathetic.
>>
File: 1382436568786.png (127KB, 1045x580px) Image search: [Google]
1382436568786.png
127KB, 1045x580px
>>43092388
:^)
>>
>>43092340
Yes however you can disable this with HTTPSwitchboard.
>>
No and neither does the Google counterparts. It's all possible to disable with a few clicks.
>>
of course it does
>>
How does one unbotnet Chromium/Chrome?
>>
>>43093798
If you don't know how then you shouldn't be allowed on the internet, jewfag.
>>
>can't check the source code

>being this retarded
>>
File: chrome.png (259KB, 1045x580px) Image search: [Google]
chrome.png
259KB, 1045x580px
>>43092422
>>
File: doge.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>43092340
"Botnet" is a meme. You could ask "is Chromium a doge" and it wouldn't make less sense.
Pic related, it's Chromium.
>>
>>43093842
Google Chrome's user tracking capabilities include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:

Installation. Upon installation, Google Chrome sends a randomly generated token from the installer back to Google. This is used to measure the success rate of Chrome installations. This feature is non-optional.
RLZ Identifier. An encoded string that, according to Google, contains non-identifying bits of information about where Chrome was downloaded from and when it was installed. It is transmitted to Google upon the first launch, first use of the address bar, and first Google search query. The collected information is used to measure the success of promotional campaigns. This feature is non-optional, but Google does provide the necessary source code to decode the string.
ClientID. A unique identifier coupled with user preferences, logs of usages metrics, and crashes. This feature is optional and disabled by default.
OmniBox Predictions. Any text typed into the address bar is sent to Google. This feature is optional, but enabled by default.
Page-Not-Found Web Service. Upon receiving a server not found response, the query typed into the address bar is sent to Google. This feature is optional, but enabled by default.
Spell-Checking Web Service. Any text typed is transmitted to Google. This feature is optional and disabled by default.
Google Update. Data concerning the user's Chrome usage, operating system details, and Chrome version is transmitted to Google periodically. This feature is non-optional.
>>
Google Chrome

[?] Still unstable and crashes/freezes often.

[?] Still has major page rendering issues.

[?] Still cannot 100% reliably block page elements for any addons, making any attempt to make an adblocker or per-source script blocker futile.

[?] Is actually slower than Firefox for most things.

Summary: Even though Chrome isn't really that much of a botnet despite claims, it's still a terrible browser compared to Firefox.

WELCOME TO THE INTERNET
>>
>>43093810

That doesn't make any fucking sense you fucktard.
>>
>>43094203
Except that's wrong. In face, the things you listed apply to firefox.
>>
maybe spyware but no botnet
don't you trust it? it is made from some ad company
>>
>>43094227
Oh come on, don't be a fucking troll. I don't give a shit which one is better, if Chrome was better I'd fucking use it. But it's not because of what I listed.

You're just a Chrometroll that can't objectively compare browsers.
>>
>>43094253
Funny. I use Chromium only because after numerous tests, I have concluded that it runs better for me. Everything in firefox feels like it has a delay. Like a 5ms delay to every little click.
>>
File: Canary_build_logo.png (34KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Canary_build_logo.png
34KB, 256x256px
>>43092422
>>43094169
>>43094203
>tfw you read all those false accusations and realize you don'r care enough to argue
I'm probably just lazy after the dinner. Sorry Firefags.
>>
Why would you trust what /g/ tells you?
>>
>>43092494
Lol did Google tell you this?,disable the botnet with a few clicks

How do I disable rlz-tracking?
How do I disable suggest in the URL field?
How do I disable error reporting?
How do I disable Google updater?
How do I disable URL tracking?
>>
chrome users stay retard
bye bye
>>
Chromium is proven botnet. Let's not forget it. Why aren't using SRWare Iron? Fucking dumb ass
>>
>>43093842
Welcome to 4chan, shill.
>>
>>43093878
>implying that all memes are the same and have absolutely no meaning beyond just being a "meme"
>>
>>43094293
>rlz-tracking
I have no idea what is this.
>suggest in the URL field
Untick the box.
>disable error reporting
Untick the box.
>Google updater
Win+S -> services -> disable google update
But why would you want to disable the updater? Are you retarded?
>URL tracking
Untick the box.
>>
>>43094311
[citation needed]
>>
>>43094272
false accusations? you have the source code? you work for google?
oh, welcome, shill.
>>
>>43094372
>But why would you want to disable the updater? Are you retarded?
Because if you know how to computer you would be updating packages from a repository. Not every time you open the program.
>>
Your friendly reminder that freetards have no evidence of any personal data collection besides well documented and easy to disable features like network actions prediction.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/114836?hl=en
>>
File: Smoke_In_Nigger_Face.jpg (28KB, 480x325px) Image search: [Google]
Smoke_In_Nigger_Face.jpg
28KB, 480x325px
>>43094386
Bro, you don't even know. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>43094311
>>43094317
>>43094386
>botnet
>shill
These are good memes, thank you, good laugh, very epic. Do you have anything substantial to say?
>>
I actually just switched to Chrome after years of Firefox. Best decision ever. Really love this browser. I wish I did it sooner honestly. The only thing that I miss is a proper SplitWindow extension (all the ones for Chrome are shit). But never fear, I am going to write my own because I love Chrome that much. :^)
>>
File: wtf.png (27KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
27KB, 100x100px
>>43094520
You're on a botnet anyway. I don't care
>>
>>43094563
I switched to Chromium 2 months ago, feels good. I only miss video downloadhelper, which is why I keep Firefox. I wish there were better video download extensions for Chromium.
>>
File: ok.png (16KB, 656x418px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
16KB, 656x418px
>>43094635
>>
>>43094203
>[?] Still cannot 100% reliably block page elements for any addons, making any attempt to make an adblocker or per-source script blocker futile.
You forgot that there ain't any addons anymore
>>
>>43094272
Thanks Chromefag
>>
>>43092340
Yes, Google is not nice. Even to it's "workers".
Who in some commercials and inside looks. Are on Thinkpad's and looking like thier all mentally retarded. When in reality, it's a developer sweatshop.
>>
>>43094262
Holy crap, I thought I was alone in experiencing this! No matter which Firefox version I had, they all ran slow as shit after a few weeks. The only way to fix it was to create a new profile.
>>
anyone having trouble with chrome 38.0.2096.0 dev-m (64-bit) and youtube? videos "load" but won't play.
>>
>>43092340
Use Firefox dumpass
>>
>>43095175
Update to the latest?
>>
>>43092388
Nice try, Google
>>
>>43095352
it IS the latest, and it's very weird since nothing changed, but youtube doesn't work anymore.
>>
>>43094520
keep telling yourself that
>>
>>43095175
Videos in which format?

Webm and html5 works for me, on that same version.
>>
File: 1404026805662.jpg (85KB, 662x559px) Image search: [Google]
1404026805662.jpg
85KB, 662x559px
>>43094635
>You're on a botnet anyway. I don't care
Me neither, so why are you making a big deal about it?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.